The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-22-2021, 08:12 PM   #801
Turo602
The King of Kings

So are we going to get a new team of Ghostbusters for the sequel or what? I think it would be terrible for them to focus on the kids again since Afterlife seemed more like a tribute to Egon and a way of addressing Harold Ramis' death before going full on Ghostbusters in New York again.

Afterlife works perfectly as a one-off story that happens long after the original Ghostbusters hang it up so that the part 3 that never came to pass could still fit in there somewhere since the time for it came and went with Harold Ramis' death. So I thought it was actually pretty smart that they just leap frogged over the possibility of part 3 and went straight into this one.

I would actually love to see Paul Rudd return and be a Ghostbuster himself. I also think Chris Rock would make an excellent addition like they wanted at one point. I wouldn't even mind if they gave Kristen Wiig another shot as well.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:15 PM   #802
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
So are we going to get a new team of Ghostbusters for the sequel or what? I think it would be terrible for them to focus on the kids again since Afterlife seemed more like a tribute to Egon and a way of addressing Harold Ramis' death before going full on Ghostbusters in New York again.
They're not even kids anymore.

Quote:
I would actually love to see Paul Rudd return and be a Ghostbuster himself. I also think Chris Rock would make an excellent addition like they wanted at one point. I wouldn't even mind if they gave Kristen Wiig another shot as well.
Probably most/all of the kids, Rudd, a lady and maybe we'll get to meet Oscar. Whether or not Oscar was Peter's biological kid, he presumably raised him as his own son.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:21 PM   #803
Leo656
The Franchise

People are raving about Grace more than anything else in the movie so you know she'll be back. Finn probably, a few people still care about Stranger Things. If anyone doesn't come back, I'd bet it would be the girl who played Lucky, mostly because her character had nothing really to do in the first place and was only there because "you need four of them." I liked her just fine but without her it's the exact same movie. That was one thing that could've been handled better. But anyway, I think everyone will be back but if anyone isn't, it'd be her.

I think bringing everyone back would be better - and easier - than trying to establish ANOTHER group of four to carry on the legacy. Do we really need to spend another entire first half of a two-hour movie playing "meet the new guys"? I don't. This crew is established now, let's just let it ride and go from there, says I.

But we'll see what happens.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:24 PM   #804
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They're not even kids anymore.

Probably most/all of the kids, Rudd, a lady and maybe we'll get to meet Oscar. Whether or not Oscar was Peter's biological kid, he presumably raised him as his own son.
The girl is 15 and the Stranger Things kid is 18. The Asian kid's age isn't even public. They're still way too young and awkward looking to be Ghostbusting and very uncharismatic to be leading this franchise. The post credit scene definitely led me to believe they're opening this up for a fresh start that anyone can pick up from with Winston in charge of the whole thing.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:32 PM   #805
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Where's some nitwit with the "Let People Enjoy Things" meme when you actually NEED it? For f*ck's f*cking sake. Chickbusters fans will stop at NOTHING to try and make people feel bad for genuinely liking this movie. It's sick.
Never understood how anyone enjoyed that movie and I hated the uproar it caused. Afterlife's reception should tell Patton Oswald and Dan Cook to "suck it!"

It takes a lot for me to hate a movie but Feig's dumpster fire broke my barrier with an awkward as hell Kristen Wiig and an obnoxious as **** Chris Hemsworth among them. That stupid DMX dance scene was so painful to watch.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:34 PM   #806
Leo656
The Franchise

I knew I wouldn't like it. I didn't think it would legit be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. But here we are.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:16 PM   #807
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

(remove post)
Old 11-22-2021, 09:17 PM   #808
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
The girl is 15 and the Stranger Things kid is 18.
Yeah, and they wouldn't even start shooting a sequel for another year or so. Now we're talking like... 16 or 17 and 19 or 20.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:40 PM   #809
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, and they wouldn't even start shooting a sequel for another year or so. Now we're talking like... 16 or 17 and 19 or 20.
Still doesn't convince me. Finn Wolfhard is still gonna look like and be playing awkward young roles in his 20s. I also don't buy that they're just gonna suddenly move to New York and start being Ghostbusters when they're so young. Their presence in Afterlife made sense because the film was about Egon's family and they came across this stuff by pure chance. I personally think their story should stay done. They honored Harold Ramis with a whole film, now it's time to move forward and do something a little more status quo. At least, that's kind of how I interpreted the post credits scene. The car came back to New York and Winston is gonna Nick Fury himself a team of Ghostbusters.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:37 AM   #810
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Seems pretty clear what the original intention might have been. Establish these kids. Then in the sequel the Ghostbusters proper start up again in New York. Now the kids would be our POV as they try to help the "real" new Ghostbusters (along with whoever among the OG GBs is willing to hang around the firehouse in supervisory levels) and are probably-- largely-- shooed away. Until they somehow save the day anyway. Then by movie #3 they'd be age appropriate to be proper GBs anyway.

Can almost guarantee you the general idea was something like that. But then COVID and all and this movie supposed to have come out almost 2 years ago... so who knows now. Maybe this changes nothing.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:49 AM   #811
Turo602
The King of Kings

The director's comments about the movie opening up all kinds of stories that can be told by different directors gives me the impression that he doesn't want to confine the series to a set of characters and do a traditional sequel with a reoccurring cast.

I have no idea what their intentions are going forward, but it sounds like they want to expand the brand and personally, I'm not interested in seeing these kids carry this franchise. They were fine in Afterlife and served their purpose in keeping Egon's legacy alive, but they should keep it at that and let this be just another story in the greater Ghostbusters universe.

If they return in a supporting capacity, I might be fine with it just as long as they do expand the cast and don't just focus on them or try to make them "the next Ghostbusters." We already had "Chickbusters" we don't need "Kidbusters." Then again, I'm not the biggest Ghostbusters fan, so maybe I'm way off base here.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:41 AM   #812
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
The director's comments about the movie opening up all kinds of stories that can be told by different directors gives me the impression that he doesn't want to confine the series to a set of characters and do a traditional sequel with a reoccurring cast.

I have no idea what their intentions are going forward, but it sounds like they want to expand the brand and personally, I'm not interested in seeing these kids carry this franchise. They were fine in Afterlife and served their purpose in keeping Egon's legacy alive, but they should keep it at that and let this be just another story in the greater Ghostbusters universe.

If they return in a supporting capacity, I might be fine with it just as long as they do expand the cast and don't just focus on them or try to make them "the next Ghostbusters." We already had "Chickbusters" we don't need "Kidbusters." Then again, I'm not the biggest Ghostbusters fan, so maybe I'm way off base here.
I would like to to see them open other branches of Ghostbusters in other sides other then New York.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:44 AM   #813
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I would like to to see them open other branches of Ghostbusters in other sides other then New York.
That's exactly what I don't want. The more Ghostbusters around the less special they are. I would be ok with new chapters without a strict continuity (kind of a "Tales of Ghostbusters") but they need to be focused on a single group of Ghostbusters that have connections with the original ones. Maybe one of them as a mentor.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:57 AM   #814
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well wasn't the original plan earlier in the decade to have a ghosbuters cinematic universe, with ghostcorps and who knows how many movies already planned but 'answer the call' failing put an end to everything?
Do you guys really want ghostbusters to become a franchise with tons of releases? If the original cast only did 2 movies, do you think the concept can do more?

I don't think so but as my comments earlier in the thread made it clear I don't think more people not wanting to see ghostbusters but now that the movie is out and we can see how well it performs we'll see who was right. In any case I'm glad that you guys at least like the movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchistguy View Post
To those who wonder if GB II is still canon. Here you go:

Spoiler:
I think it's standard for many of these "soft reboots" to skirt away from the sequels that weren't as successful but not necessarily de-canonize them. Jurassic World ignored pretty much anything of the sequels but they still "happened" as confirmed by the director and some of the viral marketing of the movies made references to the sequels but if you watched the movie you wouldn't know if they really were in continuity or not.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #815
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Here's the "How Dare They?" opinion piece:
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...172419815.html
And another one:
https://www.themarysue.com/lets-unpa...ers-afterlife/

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #816
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Oy, this headline alone... where to start?

So GB2021 opens at $2 million less domestically than GB2016 on half the budget, still in Global Pandemic Season, and with a FEMALE lead and yet the toxic (predominantly middle-aged male?) fans are STILL to blame? And apparently, GB2021's opening beats GB2016 in the UK with the other country totals not yet revealed.

And I think it worth mentioning that any franchise movie that directly follows an installment considered "a stinker" already has its work cut out for it, so I think Afterlife has that in its favor as well.

Quote:
It would be nice to see Answer the Call folded into Afterlife‘s mythology, instead of being treated like the redheaded stepchild of the franchise.
Heh, we all know what Hollywood does with traditionally red-headed characters when it comes to reboots.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:53 AM   #817
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I would like to see After the call be in continuity somehow but I like stuff like that.
It is part of IDW's GB-multiverse and has had at least one comic crossover with the mainstream cast.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:55 AM   #818
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I don't think After the call was that bad and I do think many comments when that movie came out were misogynistic.
Long disproved. With science.

Old 11-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #819
Vegita-San
Emperor

So, what's it called when they shoot the lead ghost in the dick? womanosygnistic?

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #820
Leo656
The Franchise

If anything the fact that the movie even got to $44 million opening weekend with an average of less than a dozen people in each theater screening should be taken as a minor miracle. Some people still don't feel "safe" being at the movies yet and are going to wait for it to hit streaming. Even with all that working against it, the movie had a decent opening considering present-day circumstances.

This should be cause for celebration. NOT more whining about "People didn't like Chickbusters! Whyyyyyyy?!?!?!"

So far it sounds like my theater was one of the more "packed". First three rows were empty besides the two of us but the section behind us had a lot of folks ("a lot" being relative). I figure maybe 30-ish people in total? I didn't get a head count but there were definitely more than 20 but less than 50. So I'll say 30.

Of course, NJ has mostly told the virus to go f*ck itself so I guess it's not altogether surprising. Lots and lots of people have been and continue to go out.

Anyways, I'm excited for the future of the franchise again. Let the record forever show that I can come out of the gate cynical as hell but still change my mind when I see something I like. I did not expect to love this movie as much as I did, not at all. Trying to go see it again this weekend with a friend!

Last edited by Leo656; 11-24-2021 at 12:56 PM.