The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-23-2021, 04:18 AM   #761
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Just finished all of it.

Yeah, I think Leo's faith in this was well-founded after all

This really should never have been split, the first half is easily the weakest link of the ten, this back half is awesome.

Spoiler:
Goodbye to Teela's Karen haircut also!

And Hordak is coming, assuming season two happens
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #762
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Just finished all of it.

Yeah, I think Leo's faith in this was well-founded after all

This really should never have been split, the first half is easily the weakest link of the ten, this back half is awesome.

Spoiler:
Goodbye to Teela's Karen haircut also!

And Hordak is coming, assuming season two happens
Cool to read this....
I'll find some time to watch it before next week. If it's cool I'll give it the "click support" that I keep talking about for sure as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Something that won't make you even more aggravated, would be my suggestion. Like "literally anything else".

Like I will never, EVER be bored enough to watch Power Rangers.

Me either. But it might be different for those of us that have some kind of vested interest in an I.P., you know?

Like, Power Rangers = if it is woke $#!( it can be commented on given the social conversation about the topic; but I'm not vested in the I.P. at all so the conversation is neutral about the I.P. but opinionated about the woke $#!( aspect.

He-Man = cherished childhood I.P. with enough vestment that I'd be interested in a resurgence or, bare minimum hope for the best for the property and when someone interjects their politics and exaggerated social-agenda into it the conversation is both topical and emotional. So you find a way to check it out even if only curious by one degree.

Last edited by IMJ; 11-23-2021 at 10:54 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:31 AM   #763
newfan
Mad Scientist

One or two things I wasn't expecting there but over all a decent watch. I'd happily take a season 2 if they do that.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #764
Leo656
The Franchise

Well if Zar thought it was okay I'm impressed, I know you've gone back and forth on it since the beginning.

We're gonna grab some beer and a pizza and watch the whole series from Episode 1 through the end after we get done taking the dogs for a walk. I expect that, like the first, there will be things I love, things I like, and things I would not have done or asked to see but nonetheless make sense to me within the confines of this show's narrative. It's clearly not a Filmation sequel, should never have been touted as such, but knowing that it's not and accepting that helps me handwave some of the things others care more deeply about. It's just yet another MOTU universe, to me. And that's perfectly fine.

Will try to be on later with some thoughts if I can. This new dog takes up SO much of my time, you guys! But it's awesome.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:49 PM   #765
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Well if Zar thought it was okay I'm impressed, I know you've gone back and forth on it since the beginning.

We're gonna grab some beer and a pizza and watch the whole series from Episode 1 through the end after we get done taking the dogs for a walk. I expect that, like the first, there will be things I love, things I like, and things I would not have done or asked to see but nonetheless make sense to me within the confines of this show's narrative. It's clearly not a Filmation sequel, should never have been touted as such, but knowing that it's not and accepting that helps me handwave some of the things others care more deeply about. It's just yet another MOTU universe, to me. And that's perfectly fine.

Will try to be on later with some thoughts if I can. This new dog takes up SO much of my time, you guys! But it's awesome.
Are you buying the Revelations figures?
Old 11-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #766
Leo656
The Franchise

I've got a few so far! He-Man, Teela, Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, and Skelegod... and Battle Cat. I think that's it, I gotta check. They don't stay on shelves around here, they disappear as fast as they get stocked. Luckily there's a shop at the flea market across the street that gets them in; five-dollar mark-up but eh.

They're not MOTU Classics but they're pretty neat. Origins is still my main MOTU line but I've been slowly picking up some Revelation/Masters figures here and there as they cross my path. Had to slow down on collecting a bit since Christmas is coming. I might get a few as gifts, fingers crossed.

I haven't bought any of the toys for the CGI reboot though. The stores are pushing those harder than Origins or Masterverse but they just don't really appeal to me. I might get a He-Man and Skeletor from that line but that'd probably be it.

Old 11-23-2021, 03:03 PM   #767
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
I've got a few so far! He-Man, Teela, Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, and Skelegod... and Battle Cat. I think that's it, I gotta check. They don't stay on shelves around here, they disappear as fast as they get stocked. Luckily there's a shop at the flea market across the street that gets them in; five-dollar mark-up but eh.

They're not MOTU Classics but they're pretty neat. Origins is still my main MOTU line but I've been slowly picking up some Revelation/Masters figures here and there as they cross my path. Had to slow down on collecting a bit since Christmas is coming. I might get a few as gifts, fingers crossed.

I haven't bought any of the toys for the CGI reboot though. The stores are pushing those harder than Origins or Masterverse but they just don't really appeal to me. I might get a He-Man and Skeletor from that line but that'd probably be it.
That's cool. The Revelations figures are everywhere around here. Even crossed merch'd on endcaps. I haven't seen much from the CG cartoon though.....
Old 11-23-2021, 04:50 PM   #768
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
That's cool. The Revelations figures are everywhere around here. Even crossed merch'd on endcaps. I haven't seen much from the CG cartoon though.....
They only seem to be showing up at Wal-mart
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:58 PM   #769
Vegita-San
Emperor

enjoying it far more than part one. not quite as down and dour and the villains ideas make sense. one scene between lyn and skelly was a tad goofy for a cartoon, but it worked. Even though it screamed 'yeah, this ain't your daddy's he-man'.

but so far, it's mostly alot more fun than part 1. and if they had JUST given us a better teela design, avoided all the SJW nonsense.....and treated it with a tad bit more respect, it probably would have been better received.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:44 PM   #770
neatoman
Emperor

I was under the impression She-Ra stuff was off the table due to legal reasons, how is Hordak allowed to appear?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:09 PM   #771
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I was under the impression She-Ra stuff was off the table due to legal reasons, how is Hordak allowed to appear?
Hordak was always meant to be a He-Man character, the Evil Horde just came so late into the line that the show over (just reruns) so they pretty much became She-Ra villains.

It was the funniest thing. Whoa Oh guys!!!! There are now new villains, and they're trouble for both He-Man AND Skeletor!!! Too bad the show ended. And hey, they actually did it again with the Snake Men. Hey guys, now we got villains that spell trouble for He-Man, Skeletor AND Hordak!!!! Even though the show ended..... That's why Tung Lashor and Rattler would appear in some She-Ra episodes as Horde members, because better have them in A cartoon to advertise their toys than none at all.

So weird. Imagine is Playmates announced Lord Dregg and his chronies as new villains, villains that threatened both the Turtles and Shredder! But the show already ended.... so I guess Lord Dregg will be a Extreme Dinosaurs villian now, or a Biker Mice from Mars villain, or a Street Sharks villain... or...

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:39 PM   #772
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Hordak was always meant to be a He-Man character, the Evil Horde just came so late into the line that the show over (just reruns) so they pretty much became She-Ra villains.

It was the funniest thing. Whoa Oh guys!!!! There are now new villains, and they're trouble for both He-Man AND Skeletor!!! Too bad the show ended. And hey, they actually did it again with the Snake Men. Hey guys, now we got villains that spell trouble for He-Man, Skeletor AND Hordak!!!! Even though the show ended..... That's why Tung Lashor and Rattler would appear in some She-Ra episodes as Horde members, because better have them in A cartoon to advertise their toys than none at all.
That doesn't really explain why he is allowed to appear in this show. Kingpin was always meant to be a Spider-Man character but never appeared in a Spider-Man movie until 2018, because FOX had licensed him through the Daredevil package while Sony retained Spider-Man's license. If Hordak is considered part of the She-Ra franchise, which is no longer a sub-franchise of Masters of the Universe or even owned by Mattel anymore from what I understand, why does he appear in this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
So weird. Imagine is Playmates announced Lord Dregg and his chronies as new villains, villains that threatened both the Turtles and Shredder! But the show already ended.... so I guess Lord Dregg will be a Extreme Dinosaurs villian now, or a Biker Mice from Mars villain, or a Street Sharks villain... or...
... Or that Ruby-Spears Mutanimals show that never materialised?
Hahahaha!
Old 11-24-2021, 12:24 AM   #773
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
That doesn't really explain why he is allowed to appear in this show. Kingpin was always meant to be a Spider-Man character but never appeared in a Spider-Man movie until 2018, because FOX had licensed him through the Daredevil package while Sony retained Spider-Man's license
The FOX version of Kingpin also appeared in Sony's MTV produced Spider-Man cartoon.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:46 AM   #774
ZariusTwo
Overlord

No surprise Clownfish hated it. They're still butthurt over Kevin's treatment of them so they were never going to anyway.

Just had a second watch of it, the story stands out a lot more to me. Like the final chapters of a novel where you needn't concern yourself with all the world-building, but again, we needed more for some of these beats to feel 'earned' and pay off in ways that don't require a degree in Mattel Lore 101. Some things are in there just for decoration and geek points. The story needed 26 episodes at best, which is why I prefer the CG show, as that will have the right amount of episodes to build worlds, character, and plot, and not dash through everything like this one did.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:12 PM   #775
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
If Hordak is considered part of the She-Ra franchise, which is no longer a sub-franchise of Masters of the Universe or even owned by Mattel anymore from what I understand, why does he appear in this?
Mattel owns She-Ra and Hordak and everything along with it. They just don't own the rights to the Filmation show and the versions of the characters as they appear there. It's complicated since DreamWorks owns the Filmation library but Mattel still owns the characters and can use SOME version of them in various projects.

She-Ra herself is considered a bit more of a problem since she wasn't created or marketed under the "Masters of the Universe" brand and thus is considered a separate license, so getting her to appear in various projects is more paperwork and red tape. Whereas Hordak and Co. WERE created under the MOTU branding and so have fewer obstacles regarding their use in other projects.

Short answer: They can use Hordak in anything they want, just not Hordak as he appeared in Filmation unless they clear it (as they recently did for the "Origins" line). They can technically use She-Ra too, but again, not Filmation She-Ra, and they also have more hoops to jump through in adding her. This is why her Origins action figure was based off of her original toy design and not the more familiar cartoon design.

As to whether She-Ra will show up in this series, should it continue... I doubt it, but stranger things have happened. You know people will expect it so I wouldn't be altogether shocked.
---------------------

Anyways, watched the whole series A-to-Z. Wow, that was f*cking METAL. Really liked it a lot. Lots of DC callbacks (which were all done in their own way but definitely DC-inspired), that was neat. BLADE!

Splitting it in half was a dumb decision that directly fed into all the whining. So much of what people didn't like about the first half was explained/"justified" in the second half, as I'd expected. People have no patience anymore. As a whole it's very good.

I don't count it as a "Filmation Sequel" and I think if you stop trying to force it to be one a lot of its "issues" go right out the window. To me it's just one more MOTU universe in a vast Multiverse of MOTU timelines. Really enjoyed it! Nothing really that I feel like being too specific about. I liked pretty much all of it.

Last edited by Leo656; 11-24-2021 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:07 PM   #776
IMJ
Emperor

I just watched Episode 6. There's a lot to like!

They have Fisto deliver the line "I wish I could Fist him".

So! It looks gorgeous and in many ways it's the most compelling He-Man has ever been. Well done. When it's free. I'll move on to the rest of the series, but so far from Episodes 1- 6 Netflix aint getting a paid click from me on this.

Maybe I'll stream episode 7 for their reward. After I watch it once and Fisto....

doesn't say that he wishes he could Fist Skeletor.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:25 PM   #777
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
I don't count it as a "Filmation Sequel" and I think if you stop trying to force it to be one a lot of its "issues' go right out the window. To me it's just one more MOTU universe in a vast Multiverse of MOTU timelines. Really enjoyed it! Nothing really that I feel like being too specific about. I liked pretty much all of it.
I think I'll pick a few things from it, like Teela's parentage and her always believing in Adam even when his father didn't
Old 11-24-2021, 04:46 PM   #778
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean, DC's comic book run is probably the "best" version of MOTU that's ever been done but I don't think everything about that run is perfect, either. I don't think any iteration of MOTU got everything 100% "right" and there's bits in each version which I think should be "hard canon" and others that should be disregarded. This show is not unique in that.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:51 PM   #779
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Mattel owns She-Ra and Hordak and everything along with it. They just don't own the rights to the Filmation show and the versions of the characters as they appear there. It's complicated since DreamWorks owns the Filmation library but Mattel still owns the characters and can use SOME version of them in various projects.

She-Ra herself is considered a bit more of a problem since she wasn't created or marketed under the "Masters of the Universe" brand and thus is considered a separate license, so getting her to appear in various projects is more paperwork and red tape. Whereas Hordak and Co. WERE created under the MOTU branding and so have fewer obstacles regarding their use in other projects.

Short answer: They can use Hordak in anything they want, just not Hordak as he appeared in Filmation unless they clear it (as they recently did for the "Origins" line). They can technically use She-Ra too, but again, not Filmation She-Ra, and they also have more hoops to jump through in adding her. This is why her Origins action figure was based off of her original toy design and not the more familiar cartoon design.

As to whether She-Ra will show up in this series, should it continue... I doubt it, but stranger things have happened. You know people will expect it so I wouldn't be altogether shocked.
---------------------
That's... Rather complicated and I have some trouble wrapping my head around it.
Some key questions here:
  1. What does it mean to "use the characters as they appear there" exactly? Like are they barred from making an explicit sequel to those cartoons? Or are they barred from using certain ideas that originated in those cartoons? Or does it mean something else entirely?
  2. Taking a look at the original She-Ra toy package, I can indeed see it's labelled as "Princess of Power" rather than "Masters of the Universe". I'm still a little confused here though, is it because it was officially a different toyline that it is considered a different license or were the characters created by Filmation rather than Mattel?
  3. What exactly is going on between Dreamworks and Mattel, what is one allowed to do without the other and to what extent do they collaborate? Is Dreamworks allowed to do whatever they want with She-Ra or do they need Mattel's permission? Is Mattel allowed to make a She-Ra cartoon if it's nothing like the Filmation one? Hordak was in the 2018 She-Ra show, so is it a shared rights thing going on?

Part of the reason I'm confused is that it's generally not this complicated. Fred Wolf owns the rights to his TMNT show but clearly just the show itself, Hasbro bought all the rights to their Marvel collaborations and most DC cartoons are made by other branches of Time Warner meaning no fuzzy copyright crap at all.

Quote:
Anyways, watched the whole series A-to-Z. Wow, that was f*cking METAL. Really liked it a lot. Lots of DC callbacks (which were all done in their own way but definitely DC-inspired), that was neat. BLADE!

Splitting it in half was a dumb decision that directly fed into all the whining. So much of what people didn't like about the first half was explained/"justified" in the second half, as I'd expected. People have no patience anymore. As a whole it's very good.

I don't count it as a "Filmation Sequel" and I think if you stop trying to force it to be one a lot of its "issues" go right out the window. To me it's just one more MOTU universe in a vast Multiverse of MOTU timelines. Really enjoyed it! Nothing really that I feel like being too specific about. I liked pretty much all of it.
It was less annoying than part 1 and had some cool action scenes, yes. Though I wouldn't exactly say it was anywhere near free from problems, Teela just kind of deciding she can leave the castle despite being the Sorceress title previously barring one from doing so was one of the things I just don't get.
Hahahaha!
Old 11-24-2021, 07:58 PM   #780
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
there's bits in each version which I think should be "hard canon" and others that should be disregarded.
Yeah.

Like f'n Fisto saying that he'd like to "fist Skeletor". That aint goin' away anytime soon.

That's like - that's going to be on f'n standby as outlandish and readily for me as any comment I have front loaded about Iron Man 3.

"Hey! New MOTU content is coming out! Maybe we will get the follow-up to when Fisto actually f'n fist f's Skeletor, per Kevin Smith's original plot line".
"Hey! New MOTU figures coming out! Maybe Fisto will have an interchangeable "$#!( covered fist for when f'n FISTED Skeletor"

Seriously, episode 6 was going incredibly strong - especially with the Sorceress/MAA/Teels backstory and Adam not being a bitch. Until Fisto wanted to f'n fist Skeletor and now that's pretty much all that's on my f'n mind.