The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #281
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
I can't believe nobody's mentioning All Dogs Go To Heaven, or the Secret of Nimh, or Thumbelina, or Titan AE... unless they apparently belong to the "90% suck" section. Oh well, different strokes I guess. *shrugs*
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #282
The Stryker
Stupid Rich
 
The Stryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Room 237
Posts: 11,152
Titan AE is GARBAGE!

Oh my goodness it's bad.
__________________

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #283
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
I liked Titan AE. It's been so long since I've seen it, though.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #284
shuriken
Second City Shinobi
 
shuriken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chi-town
Posts: 4,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
I can't believe nobody's mentioning All Dogs Go To Heaven, or the Secret of Nimh, or Thumbelina, or Titan AE... unless they apparently belong to the "90% suck" section. Oh well, different strokes I guess. *shrugs*
The first two are good. The latter 2 meh. But then again I like Rock-A-Doodle doo...
__________________
Some things are better left unsaid. This isn't one of them
shuriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #285
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
I think I'm one of only five people left on the planet that still hasn't seen Frozen. I am so thoroughly, thoroughly burnt out on CG Pixar-fest movies. Can we please bring back traditional animation? Don Bluth must be turning in his grave, honestly.
Dude I am so with you that you can't even know! I am so sick and tired of these lazy "animated" films. I'm a huge Disney fan and go a few times a year and have gotten to talk to some actual Disney artists and animators and I can tell you that every one I have talked to feels the exact same way. The "animation" just seems so dang assembly line to me. It is just another example of Hollywood taking a formula and milking it until it finally just nauseates people.
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #286
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I don't like Pulp Fiction or the Kill Bill series and don't get the popularity of either.
REALLY???!!! I mean SERIOUSLY???!!! Kill Bill is PHENOMMMMENAL!!! Pulp Fiction is great too but I actually like both Kill Bill flicks better. The characters, the story, the twists, the dialog, and the action are just stellar. Pai Mei is one of the coolest characters ever in my opinion.
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #287
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! View Post
REALLY???!!! I mean SERIOUSLY???!!! Kill Bill is PHENOMMMMENAL!!! Pulp Fiction is great too but I actually like both Kill Bill flicks better. The characters, the story, the twists, the dialog, and the action are just stellar. Pai Mei is one of the coolest characters ever in my opinion.
It feels like a lot of over the top violence. I don't like that type of violence. It feels unnecessary.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #288
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! View Post
REALLY???!!! I mean SERIOUSLY???!!! Kill Bill is PHENOMMMMENAL!!! Pulp Fiction is great too but I actually like both Kill Bill flicks better. The characters, the story, the twists, the dialog, and the action are just stellar. Pai Mei is one of the coolest characters ever in my opinion.
Agreed, Pulp Fiction is masterful. I saw both Kill Bill volumes for the first time two years ago on Netflix. Loved both volumes, and especially enjoyed Caradine's Superman monologue at the end of vol 2.

But hey, it is the unpopular opinions thread. lol.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #289
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
I still have yet to see Kill Bill, people not shutting up about it when it came out kind of pushed it off my radar. I f***ing love "Pulp Fiction", though. You notice a little more every time you see it. Saw that for the first time when I was like 14, blew my F'n mind.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #290
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
Yeah, Pulp Fiction is immense imo. It's just a very special film. Speaking of noir/gangster type films, I saw Sin City for the first time the other night. I watched the extended version, so all the stories were separate. Really enjoyed it. Think I watched it because A Dame to Kill for comes out in cinemas over the next few days. Gonna go watch it I think.

And as a Superman fan you'll probably relish the little Kill Bill monologue which I refer to above.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #291
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
I got both volumes on DVD, they're just sitting on the shelf. I'll get to it.

Pulp Fiction was one of those movies that completely redefined what I though movies were capable of and could be, though. Not the best thing ever or anything, but it's a nice piece of business.

EDIT: I feel like I should leave an actual response to the thread. I'unno if it's unpopular or not, but I think "Two And A Half Men" is f***ing dog sh*t. My wife's Dad loves it so I see a little of it every day just in passing, and it's just so terrible that it f***ing hurts.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #292
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I got both volumes on DVD, they're just sitting on the shelf. I'll get to it.

Pulp Fiction was one of those movies that completely redefined what I though movies were capable of and could be, though. Not the best thing ever or anything, but it's a nice piece of business.

EDIT: I feel like I should leave an actual response to the thread. I'unno if it's unpopular or not, but I think "Two And A Half Men" is f***ing dog sh*t. My wife's Dad loves it so I see a little of it every day just in passing, and it's just so terrible that it f***ing hurts.
Yeah, I know what you mean about Pulp Fiction. It's notTHE greatest film ever, but it was extremely influential and ahead of its time.

Tbh I feel that way about a lot of sitcoms. I never really got "Friends" either. I've never seen "Two and a Half Men" though so can't comment on it.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #293
Wingnut
Mad Scientist
 
Wingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Pao Pao Café
Posts: 1,264
Still don't like the series finale of Six Feet Under. "Well done" I guess, seemed like a cop out.

Still have this image in my head from said finale...Make it stop.

Spoiler:
__________________
"I'll be what I wanna do."
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #294
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I got both volumes on DVD, they're just sitting on the shelf. I'll get to it.

Pulp Fiction was one of those movies that completely redefined what I though movies were capable of and could be, though. Not the best thing ever or anything, but it's a nice piece of business.

EDIT: I feel like I should leave an actual response to the thread. I'unno if it's unpopular or not, but I think "Two And A Half Men" is f***ing dog sh*t. My wife's Dad loves it so I see a little of it every day just in passing, and it's just so terrible that it f***ing hurts.
Drop the computer and run for the shelf!!! They are really incredible pieces of cinema. They are actually my 2 favorite Tarantino films and I probably actually like Vol. 2 the best and that might actually be an unpopular opinion. One thing that's cool about his films for me is that I live in Knoxville and he was born here and he actually mentions East TN in all is films in one way or another. He actually had Brad Pitt say that he was from "Maynardville" which is the exact town I live in. It only has 3 red lights. People around here were erupting in applause during the showings of the movie. LOL.
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:09 PM   #295
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetello View Post
Yeah, Pulp Fiction is immense imo. It's just a very special film. Speaking of noir/gangster type films, I saw Sin City for the first time the other night. I watched the extended version, so all the stories were separate. Really enjoyed it. Think I watched it because A Dame to Kill for comes out in cinemas over the next few days. Gonna go watch it I think.

And as a Superman fan you'll probably relish the little Kill Bill monologue which I refer to above.
I just can't see it that way. I just see it as unnecessary violence or films that are violent for the sake of being violent and shocking.

The rape seen in Pulp Fiction is still unwatchable to me and my reaction was terribly strong...but I'm always like that with rape stuff, but this one was the strongest.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:13 PM   #296
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I just can't see it that way. I just see it as unnecessary violence or films that are violent for the sake of being violent and shocking.

The rape seen in Pulp Fiction is still unwatchable to me and my reaction was terribly strong...but I'm always like that with rape stuff, but this one was the strongest.
That's fair enough mate - I can see why the film would elicit those type of repugnant feelings. Everyone has a different view of things, and the great thing is that there's plenty of variety out there

The rape scene is pretty strong, I must admit. I first seen the film when I was about 14 and started to watch it more often from 19 onwards, so I was still fairly young on my initial exposure to it. It is overwhelming at some points and you do need a strong stomach.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:18 PM   #297
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
That's definitely a way of looking at it; unfortunately the world is very much a dark and violent place, thus Tarantino's films are mostly, to me, kind of like holding a mirror up to society. "See? This is how things really are, this is how people really think/act/behave, beneath their pretenses." That kind of thing should make people uncomfortable, because otherwise they aren't human.

I wouldn't call it "unnecessary" though by any means; those movies get the exact reaction they're trying to get, after all. You're supposed to feel dirty and a little bit guilty for watching/enjoying them. The rest, is simply whether or not violent media is to an individual's taste. Which is entirely subjective.

I did think "From Dusk 'Til Dawn" was a little too over-the-top for the sheer hell of it the first time I saw it. Then I realized it was kind of more tongue-in-cheek, now it's one of my favorites of his. I didn't "get" it the first time for some reason.

I'm not gonna lie, though, Tarantino's a pussycat. I've seen/read about plenty of movies since then that make his stuff look like Disney.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #298
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
That's definitely a way of looking at it; unfortunately the world is very much a dark and violent place, thus Tarantino's films are mostly, to me, kind of like holding a mirror up to society. "See? This is how things really are, this is how people really think/act/behave, beneath their pretenses." That kind of thing should make people uncomfortable, because otherwise they aren't human.

I wouldn't call it "unnecessary" though by any means; those movies get the exact reaction they're trying to get, after all. You're supposed to feel dirty and a little bit guilty for watching/enjoying them. The rest, is simply whether or not violent media is to an individual's taste. Which is entirely subjective.

I did think "From Dusk 'Til Dawn" was a little too over-the-top for the sheer hell of it the first time I saw it. Then I realized it was kind of more tongue-in-cheek, now it's one of my favorites of his. I didn't "get" it the first time for some reason.

I'm not gonna lie, though, Tarantino's a pussycat. I've seen/read about plenty of movies since then that make his stuff look like Disney.
Check out 13 Assassins or Audition if you want to see some insane gore. 13 Assassins is one of the coolest movies ever too.
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #299
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
I've always found Tarentino's work to be more fun to reference than to watch. While I think it's great that he's doing something different in Hollywood, I really don't like his stuff.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #300
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! View Post
Check out 13 Assassins or Audition if you want to see some insane gore. 13 Assassins is one of the coolest movies ever too.
Honestly, over-the-top gore and such isn't exactly my taste, believe it or not. I mean, it has its place, but it doesn't impress me in and of itself. I've just seen so much stuff overall, though, that Tarantino's stuff hardly seems "bad" at all. I mean even the first few minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" were way "worse" than anything Tarantino ever did. If anything his stuff is more disturbing on a cerebral level than gory/violent.

I don't have a problem with violence per se, but I feel some filmmakers do over-rely on it for shock value in place of story or character development and I'm not a fan of that. I simply don't agree that Tarantino's movies fall into that category.

"Audition" is one of those movies I've read about (but haven't seen) that make me go, "Hmmm... people are sicker than I thought, and they somehow get lots of money to bring their ideas to life." That one, and "A Serbian Film", which I don't plan to ever watch, like ever. Never ever. It showed up in an article about movies that'll ruin you for life or some sh*t like that, so I read about it on wikipedia, and it's like... holy sh*t, man. Ooooof. (I highly suggest NOT reading about it unless you want to keep anything you've eaten today down, incidentally...)
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.