The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #21
Katie
Just...way too serious.
 
Katie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: purgatory
Posts: 3,519
I always liked them, though my first turtle memories were the handful of comics that I got for a cross country driving vacatione we took. 5 days of driving to California demands something to keep the kids from killing each other.

Never was really into the old toon.

But I'm not "normal" by any means
__________________
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #22
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
Aww...that's sad... The first action figure I ever had was He-Man.... I was 4 and played with He-Man and She-Ra as much as I played with Barbies (then went to my best friend's house and played with her brothers Voltron figs *lol*) Unfortunatly one of He-Man's legs broke off and I lost She-Ra. I also had a whole box of Matchbox cars....don't remember what happened to those tho. *lol* And despite having boys action figures my room back then was decorated in all things Care Bears.
she had one action figure that was hers, we found out last year that it was one of the riders in Starla & the Jewel Riders (deluxe Tamara). But the figure is missing somewhere in the basement at her parents place
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #23
Sailor_sega
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 18
When I was in Primary school 99% of the girls liked Ninja Turtles. So in answer to your question, no I haven't noticed that.
Sailor_sega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #24
pannoni1
Foot Elite
 
pannoni1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,447
Unfortunately, I don't ever remember any girls liking TMNT! I wish I could meet at least one, someday! It was like during kindergarten, the teacher divided the boys into "Ninja Turtles" and the girls into "Care Bears", so unfortunately it seemed to resenate what was appropriate, and I would think that would be what was "sexually correct", and it seemed to show through elementary school. I've watched some My Little Pony and Gem episodes lately now as a man and don't see any problem with that now, especially as a grown man.
__________________
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?t=37065- MY WANT LIST

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #25
Type 97 Chi-ha
Mad Scientist
 
Type 97 Chi-ha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 1,333
I've known females who read the original Eastman and Laird comic series. Why would they like the TMNT? One admitted to me that she thought turtles were cute. So that would explain the gender-crossing appeal.
Type 97 Chi-ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #26
Herald7
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type 97 Chi-ha View Post
One admitted to me that she thought turtles were cute. So that would explain the gender-crossing appeal.
Exactly! Hehe
__________________
"Leave it to Donatello to have a homing device that fits a snake!"
Herald7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #27
ABrown
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,831
There does seem to be quite a number of adult girls who claim to have watched the original cartoon. And they probably did. I just get the feeling that they didn't watch as frequently as many of us did. I think that most of us here probably made it a point to watch the show every time that it aired. Most girls (not all, but most) probably caught an episode here or there, but didn't make it a point to catch every episode.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #28
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Wow....the gender stereotyping here is really...kind of painful.
I'm not an "adult girl" I'm a woman, and I've been reading comics and watching the cartoons for the better part of the last 20+ years. It wasn't easy to be a geek girl in the late 80s and through out most of the 90s. Comic Shops/conventions weren't exactly welcoming to chick fans. Add to that the fact that mainstream culture agreed that girls couldn't like comics.

Have more than a few memories of having New Kids on the Block shoved down my throat when all I wanted to do was catch up on X-Men or pick up the new issue of Wolverine.

Things got better for female fans when the internet became more easily accessible. Chick fans didn't have to run the gauntlet of haters to get their nerdy fix.

Though...last year I had an 8 year old girl tell me I, as a 34 year old woman, couldn't like the turtles because those were for boys.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #29
Type 97 Chi-ha
Mad Scientist
 
Type 97 Chi-ha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 1,333
Even back in the late 1980's, I swear I got the impression that the girls liked the TMNT as much as the boys. And I took that to be because turtles were quite acceptable for girls as well as boys to like. Also the TMNT were strong but didn't have an excessively "macho" image, though all of them were guys.
Type 97 Chi-ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:01 AM   #30
Walkabout
Stone Warrior
 
Walkabout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 556
Judging from the letters printed in the archie comics, there were lots of female turtle fans.
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:19 AM   #31
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Girls can't like Turtles cause it's for boys, and besides they'd get their cooties on it.

Do I get a prize for being the most childish?
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:17 AM   #32
Fugitoid Jones
Stone Warrior
 
Fugitoid Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: D'hoonib, VT
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Girls can't like Turtles cause it's for boys, and besides they'd get their cooties on it.

Do I get a prize for being the most childish?

Maybe not for being the 'most childish', but def for being my favorite response in the whole thread!

Girls don't really have time to be into Turtles, they should be busy training to cook and clean and take care of babies. And you can't put make-up on a Turtle, it doesn't look right.



::damage control:: that was a joke.
__________________

"You are right, I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself."
-Dr. Zaius
Fugitoid Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #33
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Some girls just never get the Ninja Turtles. I vaguely remember one time my cousin Jennifer was playing with her Barbies and she used my TMNT action figures for babies.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,397
About 10 years ago it seemed like I was virtually the only male TMNT fan online.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #35
Herald7
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
There does seem to be quite a number of adult girls who claim to have watched the original cartoon. And they probably did. I just get the feeling that they didn't watch as frequently as many of us did. I think that most of us here probably made it a point to watch the show every time that it aired. Most girls (not all, but most) probably caught an episode here or there, but didn't make it a point to catch every episode.
Um, I can assure you I probably knew more about the OT and the movies than most of the boys!

While we're talking about gender, it was and often still is difficult to convince "fan boys" that "fan girls" are worth talking to about their favorite subjects. It's like you have to "prove" your dedication first simply because you're female.

Quote:
Have more than a few memories of having New Kids on the Block shoved down my throat
I hear you, and it drove me crazy. I wasn't into them at all and everyone thought I was just weird.
__________________
"Leave it to Donatello to have a homing device that fits a snake!"

Last edited by Herald7; 10-25-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Herald7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #36
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
I've always considered "fanboy" to be a gender neutral term. The same goes for fangirl, what differentiates them, in my mind, is the focus of their fanaticism.

So while I'm a chick, I'm a fanboy, but I've been known to fangirl on occassion. ie: squee
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #37
Herald7
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I've always considered "fanboy" to be a gender neutral term. The same goes for fangirl, what differentiates them, in my mind, is the focus of their fanaticism.

So while I'm a chick, I'm a fanboy, but I've been known to fangirl on occassion. ie: squee
::shrugs:: Whatever works for you. I do get fangirl being associated with overexcited squeeling and all that, I can't deny it, lol. But I'm not crazy about fanboy being automatically associated with the more serious stuff, heh.
__________________
"Leave it to Donatello to have a homing device that fits a snake!"
Herald7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #38
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
No I totally agree with you, the terms are...problematic at best, but they're the best I've got to go with.

Though I will say that I hardly consider fanboy territory "more serious". If anything I'd say the difference is between the forest and the trees. Fanboys nitpick, fangirls are more concerned with the gestalt.

Though...that's hardly perfect either.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #39
Herald7
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Though I will say that I hardly consider fanboy territory "more serious". If anything I'd say the difference is between the forest and the trees. Fanboys nitpick, fangirls are more concerned with the gestalt.

Though...that's hardly perfect either.
Actually yeah I've thought that as well. I mean I've nitpicked certainly, but I also concentrate a lot on the "unified whole" as they say, lol.
__________________
"Leave it to Donatello to have a homing device that fits a snake!"
Herald7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #40
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
All I know is that GK is a fangirl, by any definition. ^_^
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gender


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.