The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 02:36 AM   #21
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Just when I think I'm out...

http://media.giphy.com/media/SkVREjcAhHggE/giphy.gif

I actually really dislike the visual style of this movie, actually. I'll explain why, but for the sake of fairness: it's a totally subjective thing and I don't expect anyone to agree, necessarily. Okay? Okay!

But... I actually don't think it has "good" cinematography or camerawork at all, based on the trailers I've seen. I think it has very flashy cinematography and camerawork, and that has its appeal and is definitely popular with some folks, but to me it just seems really obnoxious and overly-busy. It's eye candy, but... there's a reason you get sick if you eat too much candy in one sitting.

The most effective storytelling is often the simplest. The flashy stuff is best used sparingly, and it's more effective because of it. But with this movie, it seems to be all flash: we seem to have the camera almost constantly moving, sweeping and bouncing around, while nearly every shot seems to have spotlights and smoke machines going off in the background. Seriously, look at those shots in the original post - smoke and heavy, artificial-looking filtering and bright lights and lens flares all over the place. And I know that some people really enjoy that, but I think it's totally obnoxious and distracting.

And my worry about this, based on what I've seen so far, is that this movie's overall "look" is more concerned with being the cinematography equivalent of a fireworks show instead of offering any actual decent, legitimate storytelling - all flash, zero substance.

If you haven't seen it yet, there's a great (and fair) video describing the overall Michael Bay style called "Bayhem" that sums up a lot of my issues with the look of this movie. (And I know that Bay didn't direct it, but this movie is very much in his style and follows his influence, so I think it's relevant.) IMO, and as it says in the video, that style is great at being flashy, but it's incredibly limited by its need to be flashy at all times, and it suffers because of that on a basic storytelling level. There's no subtlety and no nuance. And I don't care what kind of movie you're making -- even a silly action/comedy -- you need those things, even just a little bit, to make anything worth watching.
In general, I like the cut o'yer gib, guy. But face it, you an' I are just doing it wrong. Apparently.

For what it's worth, as I said before, it looks slick. Too slick? Eh, I'unno.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:45 AM   #22
InsaneZane
Mad Scientist
 
InsaneZane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Silent Hill
Posts: 1,198
I really cannot wait for this movie! Its going to be the best thing since the first one, and It'll be more action packed with the CGI, I'm glad the haters are starting to realize they were wrong all along! Can't wait to see the new Party Wagon/Shellraiser/Battle Shell LOL what ever its called for this movie... I'm going to watch it 4 times in theaters at least... 1 for each turtle
__________________
InsaneZane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:02 AM   #23
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
In general, I like the cut o'yer gib, guy. But face it, you an' I are just doing it wrong. Apparently.

For what it's worth, as I said before, it looks slick. Too slick? Eh, I'unno.
Seems like it. I just might take that break, actually. Maybe see how the temperature is in a month or so.

I'll never get how "'this looks awesome!'; 'YEAH!'" is considered good conversation, but fully, fairly and thoughtfully explaining our criticisms just makes us "haters" and "whiners" with some folks. I guess some people just can't deal with hearing opinions different than their own. I know it seems like the minute someone's not 100% on board with this movie they're put on the defensive, and it's irritating having to fight every time you want to look a little deeper at something you think deserves it, y'know?

Ah well. I wish there was a little more reffing when people get hostile and toss insults around, but... I guess I have to stop letting that bug me. Or just move on entirely.
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:03 AM   #24
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist
 
MrTMNT2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,512
I can appreciate a hater changing his opinion after what's been shown to be genuine effort and improvements made to this film rather than sticking to his guns just for the sake of it but unfortunately, I think many critics already have their reviews prepared for this movie without any critique of actual quality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Seems like it. I just might take that break, actually. Maybe see how the temperature is in a month or so.

I'll never get how "'this looks awesome!'; 'YEAH!'" is considered good conversation, but fully, fairly and thoughtfully explaining our criticisms just makes us "haters" and "whiners" with some folks. I guess some people just can't deal with hearing opinions different than their own. I know it seems like the minute someone's not 100% on board with this movie they're put on the defensive, and it's irritating having to fight every time you want to look a little deeper at something you think deserves it, y'know?
The hypocrisy level is OVER 9000!
__________________

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)

Last edited by Jester; 07-18-2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: 2x posts
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:12 AM   #25
A_Little_Too_Raph.9859
Stone Warrior
 
A_Little_Too_Raph.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NYC Sewers
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTMNT2012 View Post
I can appreciate a hater changing his opinion after what's been shown to be genuine effort and improvements made to this film rather than sticking to his guns just for the sake of it but unfortunately, I think many critics already have their reviews prepared for this movie without any critique of actual quality...
Yeah I have a feeling that this movie will get a majority of hate while Guardians of the Galaxy will get the majority of the praise simply because....MARVEL
__________________
A_Little_Too_Raph.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #26
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTMNT2012 View Post
The hypocrisy level is OVER 9000!
Truth be told, I've actually had you on ignore for a long time now, and clearly for good reason. But I want you to back this up. How does what I said make me a hypocrite? I want to see if you can actually prove it. And if you can't, how about you apologize?
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #27
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist
 
MrTMNT2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,512
Ok, so you'll never get how people who praise the movie can be considered well-spoken in their conversations but somehow the people who criticise it are?

"I guess some people just can't deal with hearing opinions different than their own." I guess we can put you on that list as well...
__________________

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #28
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTMNT2012 View Post
Ok, so you'll never get how people who praise the movie can be considered well-spoken in their conversations but somehow the people who criticise it are?

"I guess some people just can't deal with hearing opinions different than their own." I guess we can put you on that list as well...
Did I say that? No, I didn't, and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't put words in my mouth. Of course there are people here who've praised this movie and backed up their opinions well. I never claimed otherwise, and I'm not talking about those people here at all.

And in fact, I've actually specifically replied to some of those people telling them that I may disagree, but I respect their opinions and how they presented them. I've made a point to say my opinions are subjective and that others are entitled to disagree, repeatedly.

This is exactly the problem around here - people knee-jerk reacting to stuff and throwing around anger and insults without actually fully reading and considering what they're responding to.

You ready to apologize now?
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
The movie feels like it was filmed on a 90's era sitcom budget. I think Full House looked better than this.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #30
Glados
Foot Soldier
 
Glados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 198
Please, PLEASE stop it with these pointless "lovers/haters" debates! Leave it! Let it go! I've been keeping away from interacting on this place for a while because of how stupid it's gotten, lately it's been a little tad better, let's try to keep it that way so threads don't derail as much as it has in the past.

EDIT: I'm addressing Bry and MrTMNT2012, in case it wasn't clear (I forget to quote)
Glados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #31
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist
 
MrTMNT2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The movie feels like it was filmed on a 90's era sitcom budget. I think Full House looked better than this.
Constructive criticism right here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Did I say that? No, I didn't, and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't put words in my mouth. Of course there are people here who've praised this movie and backed up their opinions well. I never claimed otherwise, and I'm not talking about those people here at all.
So what's the point if you KNOW there are people praising the movie just as capable as the naysayers backing up their claims, to generalize those people in the first place?
__________________

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)

Last edited by Jester; 07-18-2014 at 11:13 AM. Reason: 2x posts
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #32
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTMNT2012 View Post
So what's the point if you KNOW there are people praising the movie just as capable as the naysayers backing up their claims, to generalize those people in the first place?
Are you kidding me with this? I'm not generalizing anyone. I specifically said "SOME people", "SOME folks". I'm specifically talking about the people who aren't backing up their opinions or being civil about differing opinions. That's it.

Yeesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glados View Post
Please, PLEASE stop it with these pointless "lovers/haters" debates! Leave it! Let it go! I've been keeping away from interacting on this place for a while because of how stupid it's gotten, lately it's been a little tad better, let's try to keep it that way so threads don't derail as much as it has in the past.

EDIT: I'm addressing Bry and MrTMNT2012, in case it wasn't clear (I forget to quote)
Oh, believe me, I'm done. Gonna take a break from this place entirely, actually. But if someone's calling me out and making false claims about me or what I'm saying, I'm damn well going to refute them.

Peace out, Technodrome. Hopefully things get more civil soon.
__________________

Last edited by Bry; 07-18-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #33
Glados
Foot Soldier
 
Glados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTMNT2012 View Post
So what's the point if you KNOW there are people praising the movie just as capable as the naysayers backing up their claims, to generalize those people in the first place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Are you kidding me with this? I'm not generalizing anyone. I specifically said "SOME people", "SOME folks". I'm specifically talking about the people who aren't backing up their opinions or being civil about differing opinions. That's it.

Yeesh.
There you have the conclusion: There's people on both sides who are backing up their opinions and being civil and there are people on both sides who don't! No side is better, no side is worse! There's no point of further discussion over that topic.
Glados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #34
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist
 
MrTMNT2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Are you kidding me with this? I'm not generalizing anyone. I specifically said "SOME people", "SOME folks". I'm specifically talking about the people who aren't backing up their opinions or being civil about differing opinions. That's it.

Yeesh.
You still fail to acknowledge that there are just as many naysayers who don't back up their claims thoughtfully or thoroughly (Key example being CyberCubed here...) you keep saying 'Our' as if everyone on that side of the fence is being attacked when that's not the case. There are just as many there as there are on this side of the arguement who aren't being taken seriously and by you mentioning those "some folks" just makes it blatantly obvious.
__________________

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #35
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTMNT2012 View Post
You still fail to acknowledge that there are just as many naysayers who don't back up their claims thoughtfully or thoroughly (Key example being CyberCubed here...) you keep saying 'Our' as if everyone on that side of the fence is being attacked when that's not the case. There are just as many there as there are on this side of the arguement who aren't being taken seriously and by you mentioning those "some folks" just makes it blatantly obvious.
Did you notice that I was directly replying to Leo656 when I said "our"? 'Cause I was.

And I'm not gonna acknowledge that there as "just as many" anything without knowing that as a fact. I know that there are some on both sides, but I don't know that it's even. If you wanna go through the archives and prove it, then feel free.

Okay, that's the last one. I'm out!!
__________________

Last edited by Bry; 07-18-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #36
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
i will give this movie one check and say visually its nice.....to bad no movie has ever made me want to see it by how it looks..other wise i would've gone to see Avatar in theaters....or on tv..or on my computer..... i still haven't seen it it just doesn't interest me..i want stories not pretty pictures
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #37
The Vernon
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 32
Let me sum it up briefly... I believe in one thing and one thing only: these are some fugly, mugly, mutha fudda buttface turtles.

- commence quote from trailers -

April: No, that's stupid... they're ninjas.
The Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #38
Gimme_Three
Foot Soldier
 
Gimme_Three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: maryland
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle View Post
i will give this movie one check and say visually its nice.....to bad no movie has ever made me want to see it by how it looks..other wise i would've gone to see Avatar in theaters....or on tv..or on my computer..... i still haven't seen it it just doesn't interest me..i want stories not pretty pictures
Avatar had a great story. The story and the acting made me connect with the characters.. One of my favorite movies.
Gimme_Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #39
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Some scenes, it does look great. The snow scene, some of the other fighting scenes, and a few of the April and the Turtles meeting for the first time look tight. But scenes like the subway station, seem a bit too shaky cam. I'm not a real big fan of shaky cam. I love long sweeping shots though, and this movie seems to have a few of those.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:18 PM   #40
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master
 
Zulithe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,418
I've went through a lot of stanges on my feelings towards the movie designs. It was really hard at first, loving them did not come natural. I have gradually accepted it though.

I would not say I love the turtle designs exactly, though I don't think they are terrible. Just not my preference.

What I will say this this... I like them enough to where I don't find them distracting like I did at first. But I think my feelings were natural since they were so very different from the previous turtle incarnations.

I'll be able to sit in the theater on Aug 8th, watch the movie and not be thinking about how bad the turtles look. I'll be in total enjoyment mode... probably!

There are some on this forum who won't have the same experience. I'm sorry that it will be that way for them.

The rest of the film's look though? I think it has the right feeling to it, the gritty nature of it does remind me some of the 1990 film which I love, but it also has some flash and bright and modern streaks to it that you'd come to expect from a lot of newer films, particularly, yeah, the Transformers franchise.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.