The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #41
joefsas
Stone Warrior
 
joefsas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dorset, uk
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotNunchuckFury View Post
Good to know the movie's #1 here as well, I was wondering how it was doing.
And me. Well chuffed it's #1
__________________
WANTED: S.H.FIGUARTS LEONARDO BANDANA TAIL PIECE!
joefsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #42
jenna
Mad Scientist
 
jenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 1,190
I’ve delayed posting a review because I wanted to be certain that my views wouldn’t be distorted by the excitement. If I had posted immediately after emerging from the cinema, all I would have been able to say is “love it love it love it love it love it love it love it...”

I’ve now seen it five times and for all its failings, I have to say that overall, I do love it. Was it everything I hoped for? No. But that didn’t stop me enjoying it.

A few comments:

Scope - This film has a noticeably wider scope than any TMNT film before it, which makes it feel exciting. I had the stupidest grin on my face all the way through - every viewing - from the amazing opening credits to the vast city-wide climactic end. This was an aspect which I loved about it.

The plot - No two ways about it: it felt rushed - like it was written to be a 2-hour film, and had to condense. I feel that many of the apparent plot holes might have been explained or reduced if the film was permitted a 2 hour run time. Another 20 minutes would have sat a lot more comfortably with me. As it stands it is far too hurried, with important elements such as character development taking a back seat. I’m intrigued by credited characters we never saw, such as Baxter Stockman and wasn’t there supposed to be a kid in it too (besides child April, I mean)? This makes me wonder how much of this film is sitting on the cutting room floor. Whilst the plot has been hurt by edits and rewrites, credit where credit is due, I thought the plot was in the main a good one and very fitting for ninja turtles on the big screen. I mean, the idea of the turtles being captured for scientific study is really upsetting, so it worked on both a narrative and emotional level. As much as many people want to see Krang, Utrom, mutants, Dimension X etc I feel that such a plot would risk alienating a large section of the audience, so I think they’ve done a good job in getting to the core of Ninja Turtles: family, and building a plot around that, which is relatable and enduring. In particular, I LOVED the early scenes, where we saw a turtle just a flash over the skyline. I live for that stuff in TMNT.

Themes - Old favourite, never fails. Family. My favourite line was actually Shredder’s scornful rebuke of Splinter: “Your sons? You think you’re their father?” To me, this line was perfect. It completely demonstrates the selfless unconditional love of Splinter and the turtles, and the ignorance of those who can’t understand it.

Plot holes - I’ve probably not got anything to say that hasn’t already been pointed out on this forum. Some of the plot holes are immense. Is this the result of bad writing, bad editing or a restrictive run time? No idea, but I would love to see a director’s cut.

Musical score - Fine. Seemed heavily influenced by Danny Elfman’s score to Batman. The main TMNT theme is powerful and has stuck with me.

Turtle design - Grew on me. By the end I was accepting the faces, although the lips were odd. Raphael’s size felt too cartoonish for the realism of the film, so he jarred slightly and felt out of place and less believable. The size of the turtles was pointless: the concept of ‘ninja turtles’ loses some of its delicious irony when attached to these massive hulks. Small turtles with high skill is much more interesting to me than massive turtles with lots of power. But what I do have to say is that the effects for the turtles were freakin’ fantastic. Their individuality, their characters, their expressions completely shone through and is the result of some truly talented animators. The look on Raphael’s face when he saw Splinter wounded stood out to me. The sweat running down Donnie’s face when he was trying to stop the count-down on the roof, Raphael’s tears and his attempts to compose himself afterwards.... it was just breath-taking work on behalf of the actors and the animators.

Indestructible turtles - A mistake, I think. Why should the turtles be bullet proof? To what end? How does that serve the plot? Same applies to Raphael, almost dead one second and the next, up and running. As long as nothing can harm these turtles, there is nothing at stake, so the audience is less invested.

Splinter design - I’m not sure whether it was the design or the fact that I am not used to hearing his voice without the Japanese accent, but Splinter didn’t work for me. I didn’t get his wisdom, his gentleness from this version of him. Plus I’m pretty sure that seizing one of your sons by the throat is abuse.

The backstory - Personally, I think that losing the Japanese backstory was a mistake. That is one of the elements that has so far lent the TMNT a certain thematic richness. This film felt like it lacked soul due to its absence. Sacks’s link with Japan felt like a last-minute add-on to shut us fans up. Whilst I admire the producers for taking fan feedback on board, it strikes me that they took on that we wanted the Japanese link, but never really asked themselves WHY it is so important? The backstory of Shredder and Splinter adds depth and heart and history, the urge for vengeance, the source of rage and grief and deep philosophical power. Without this, the whole thing felt a bit shallow.

Characters - I wanted more of the turtles. 20 more minutes would have fleshed out the turtles a bit, especially Raphael, who would have benefitted from a bit more “arseholery” to validate the speech at the end. I know there has been some controversy over the speech, but actually I thought it was very well done. It is important to show how fragile Raphael is, especially when the writers opt for a more aggressive front for him. I thought it was well delivered and beautifully acted and animated.

New origin story - I’ve no issue with it. In fact it made sense. I’m not really a fan of all the extraordinary coincidences, such as them having been April’s pets, but it didn’t bother me too much. As for learning martial arts from a book. No. Just no. It can’t be done any more than a rat can learn by mimicking karate from a cage. I think this will always be a massive hurdle for writers in TMNT.

Martial arts - Some good moments, but in the main any real skill was hidden from view by tight camera angles and chaotic mise-en-scene. Shredder v Splinter was great, and Leo had an awesome triple kick-conversion sequence. There were a couple of nice weapons moments, but I would have loved to have seen more, beyond flying and summersaulting through the air... which isn’t really martial arts, just fancy decoration.

Director-Style / Cinematography - Liebesman, sadly, has not used the opportunity to define his own style, nor does the DOP seem to have done anything entirely original. It feels like a Michael Bay film.

Megan Fox - She did a good job. Will she win an oscar for this? No, but she had to carry the film and she succeeded. Actually, I think she made a very good April.

Karai - What a waste. Karai is one of the most awesome characters in TMNT lore and the opportunity to give her some interesting exposure was wasted. Once again, another 20 minutes on the run-time would have permitted this.

What I loved - the kiddie turtles (so cute), the introduction to the turtles as blink-and-you-miss-them vigilantes, the feel of New York City, the turtles’ characters - all really well executed, the cinematic scope, especially the scene where they run over the rooftops, plummet through the air and into the sewers. I couldn’t stop smiling. And the bit here they are donning their masks for the first time. Also, Donatello. Every moment of him. My favourite version of him to date.

What I hated - Raphael’s sun-glasses, Mikey’s beads, the size of the turtles, especially Raphael, and the too-short run-time.

Last edited by jenna; 10-24-2014 at 08:50 AM.
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #43
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior
 
D Piddy 1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefsas View Post
Get loads of pics dude! Saw about it on Facebook. Would love to go to this
Also they had a premier of the film on the opening night, and if you watch the video it looks like they all got given TMNT goodie bags. I wonder what was in the bags? Did anyone on the forum get to go to the event? Would love to know!

If I get to the event I'll def take some pics!
__________________
Twitter handle: @D_Piddy1982

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #44
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post
I’ve delayed posting a review because I wanted to be certain that my views wouldn’t be distorted by the excitement. If I had posted immediately after emerging from the cinema, all I would have been able to say is “love it love it love it love it love it love it love it...”

I’ve now seen it five times and for all its failings, I have to say that overall, I do love it. Was it everything I hoped for? No. But that didn’t stop me enjoying it.

A few comments:

Scope - This film has a noticeably wider scope than any TMNT film before it, which makes it feel exciting. I had the stupidest grin on my face all the way through - every viewing - from the amazing opening credits to the vast city-wide climactic end. This was an aspect which I loved about it.

The plot - No two ways about it: it felt rushed - like it was written to be a 2-hour film, and had to condense. I feel that many of the apparent plot holes might have been explained or reduced if the film was permitted a 2 hour run time. Another 20 minutes would have sat a lot more comfortably with me. As it stands it is far too hurried, with important elements such as character development taking a back seat. I’m intrigued by credited characters we never saw, such as Baxter Stockman and wasn’t there supposed to be a kid in it too (besides child April, I mean)? This makes me wonder how much of this film is sitting on the cutting room floor. Whilst the plot has been hurt by edits and rewrites, credit where credit is due, I thought the plot was in the main a good one and very fitting for ninja turtles on the big screen. I mean, the idea of the turtles being captured for scientific study is really upsetting, so it worked on both a narrative and emotional level. As much as many people want to see Krang, Utrom, mutants, Dimension X etc I feel that such a plot would risk alienating a large section of the audience, so I think they’ve done a good job in getting to the core of Ninja Turtles: family, and building a plot around that, which is relatable and enduring. In particular, I LOVED the early scenes, where we saw a turtle just a flash over the skyline. I live for that stuff in TMNT.

Themes - Old favourite, never fails. Family. My favourite line was actually Shredder’s scornful rebuke of Splinter: “Your sons? You think you’re their father?” To me, this line was perfect. It completely demonstrates the selfless unconditional love of Splinter and the turtles, and the ignorance of those who can’t understand it.

Plot holes - I’ve probably not got anything to say that hasn’t already been pointed out on this forum. Some of the plot holes are immense. Is this the result of bad writing, bad editing or a restrictive run time? No idea, but I would love to see a director’s cut.

Musical score - Fine. Seemed heavily influenced by Danny Elfman’s score to Batman. The main TMNT theme is powerful and has stuck with me.

Turtle design - Grew on me. By the end I was accepting the faces, although the lips were odd. Raphael’s size felt too cartoonish for the realism of the film, so he jarred slightly and felt out of place and less believable. The size of the turtles was pointless: the concept of ‘ninja turtles’ loses some of its delicious irony when attached to these massive hulks. Small turtles with high skill is much more interesting to me than massive turtles with lots of power. But what I do have to say is that the effects for the turtles were freakin’ fantastic. Their individuality, their characters, their expressions completely shone through and is the result of some truly talented animators. The look on Raphael’s face when he saw Splinter wounded stood out to me. The sweat running down Donnie’s face when he was trying to stop the count-down on the roof, Raphael’s tears and his attempts to compose himself afterwards.... it was just breath-taking work on behalf of the actors and the animators.

Indestructible turtles - A mistake, I think. Why should the turtles be bullet proof? To what end? How does that serve the plot? Same applies to Raphael, almost dead one second and the next, up and running. As long as nothing can harm these turtles, there is nothing at stake, so the audience is less invested.

Splinter design - I’m not sure whether it was the design or the fact that I am not used to hearing his voice without the Japanese accent, but Splinter didn’t work for me. I didn’t get his wisdom, his gentleness from this version of him. Plus I’m pretty sure that seizing one of your sons by the throat is abuse.

The backstory - Personally, I think that losing the Japanese backstory was a mistake. That is one of the elements that has so far lent the TMNT a certain thematic richness. This film felt like it lacked soul due to its absence. Sacks’s link with Japan felt like a last-minute add-on to shut us fans up. Whilst I admire the producers for taking fan feedback on board, it strikes me that they took on that we wanted the Japanese link, but never really asked themselves WHY it is so important? The backstory of Shredder and Splinter adds depth and heart and history, the urge for vengeance, the source of rage and grief and deep philosophical power. Without this, the whole thing felt a bit shallow.

Characters - I wanted more of the turtles. 20 more minutes would have fleshed out the turtles a bit, especially Raphael, who would have benefitted from a bit more “arseholery” to validate the speech at the end. I know there has been some controversy over the speech, but actually I thought it was very well done. It is important to show how fragile Raphael is, especially when the writers opt for a more aggressive front for him. I thought it was well delivered and beautifully acted and animated.

New origin story - I’ve no issue with it. In fact it made sense. I’m not really a fan of all the extraordinary coincidences, such as them having been April’s pets, but it didn’t bother me too much. As for learning martial arts from a book. No. Just no. It can’t be done any more than a rat can learn by mimicking karate from a cage. I think this will always be a massive hurdle for writers in TMNT.

Martial arts - Some good moments, but in the main any real skill was hidden from view by tight camera angles and chaotic mise-en-scene. Shredder v Splinter was great, and Leo had an awesome triple kick-conversion sequence. There were a couple of nice weapons moments, but I would have loved to have seen more, beyond flying and summersaulting through the air... which isn’t really martial arts, just fancy decoration.

Director-Style / Cinematography - Liebesman, sadly, has not used the opportunity to define his own style, nor does the DOP seem to have done anything entirely original. It feels like a Michael Bay film.

Megan Fox - She did a good job. Will she win an oscar for this? No, but she had to carry the film and she succeeded. Actually, I think she made a very good April.

Karai - What a waste. Karai is one of the most awesome characters in TMNT lore and the opportunity to give her some interesting exposure was wasted. Once again, another 20 minutes on the run-time would have permitted this.

What I loved - the kiddie turtles (so cute), the introduction to the turtles as blink-and-you-miss-them vigilantes, the feel of New York City, the turtles’ characters - all really well executed, the cinematic scope, especially the scene where they run over the rooftops, plummet through the air and into the sewers. I couldn’t stop smiling. And the bit here they are donning their masks for the first time. Also, Donatello. Every moment of him. My favourite version of him to date.

What I hated - Raphael’s sun-glasses, Mikey’s beads, the size of the turtles, especially Raphael, and the too-short run-time.
Regarding the Run-Time, Its actually longer then the previous movies.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #45
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,804
Oh My god, We are going to get TMNT 2 at the same time as the US on June 3rd 2016.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3949660/...?ref_=tt_dt_dt

I know IMDB isn't the best place to go so I put in a search and saw it mentioned here.

http://www.launchingfilms.com/releas....php?sort=date

So keep crossing your fingers and hope they stick to it.
__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #46
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
Other than the virus in the tower suddenly vanishing and never being mentioned again, what other plot holes did anyone spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Oh My god, We are going to get TMNT 2 at the same time as the US on June 3rd 2016.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3949660/...?ref_=tt_dt_dt

I know IMDB isn't the best place to go so I put in a search and saw it mentioned here.

http://www.launchingfilms.com/releas....php?sort=date

So keep crossing your fingers and hope they stick to it.
Fingers crossed.
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #47
HotNunchuckFury
Foot Soldier
 
HotNunchuckFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 160
Great review jenna. I love this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post
Themes - Old favourite, never fails. Family. My favourite line was actually Shredder’s scornful rebuke of Splinter: “Your sons? You think you’re their father?” To me, this line was perfect. It completely demonstrates the selfless unconditional love of Splinter and the turtles, and the ignorance of those who can’t understand it.
I too would like to of seen more of Karai and a stronger link for Splinter and the turtles to Japanese culture than discovering a discarded book on ninjitsu. But who knows? Maybe we'll get both next time around.

And I so hope we do get TMNT2 the same time as the US, that would be sweet!
HotNunchuckFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #48
Cheese-sickle
Mouser
 
Cheese-sickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Wales
Posts: 7
Overall I didn't think the movie was too bad, it's not good but it's not bad.

What I didn’t like:

•The plot was rushed and cliché and actually felt for me like a long episode from the 80's, the entire movie was over the span of one day! We have fun, we deal with the problem, we go have fun again.

•Literally no connection between Splinter and Shredder and losing the Japanese back story made me sad.

•Little in the way of character development and it felt like Raph's confession at the end came out of nowhere.

•Hate the foot

•I missed the family element in the movie, they behaved like family but it didn't feel right to me, this may be because we didn't get to see much of the turtle’s relationships with each other.

•Poor dialogue and poor taste in humour at times.

•Splinters design based on Rufus the naked mole rat also OMG turtle abuse, not hashi but grabbing leo around the throat! 2014's splinter is no1: harsh rat dad on my list.

•None of the turtles really had time to show off their personalities, we just got a few snippets here and there, Leo I think getting the shortest straw.

•Vern

•Oh Hello head hench-woman who looks like Karai but doesn't say or do anything like Karai.

•Don’t throw in references when they are not needed, why say cowabunga at that moment? Why announce that you were about to say it?

•Your crush is not cute Mikey

What I liked:

•The turtle’s faces grew on me and I enjoyed their designs portraying their personalities.

•Megan Fox was actually ok, I think she played April very well.

•Some of the humour was great

•Personal touches to the turtles like Donnie’s dorky laugh

•Great action sequences although may need more ninja.

•If Raph’s confession wasn't so surprising I would have choked up

•Good cinematography

•Good score

•A unexplained casting of Whoopi Goldberg is always the best kind

Other:

•Some things I found hilarious when they weren't meant to be like indestructible turtles, being bullet proof and when Raph jumped through the side of the van I lost it.

•I also cracked up over Shredder, save that costume for the video game Shreddertron.

Questions:

•How come Raph couldn't break through the glass in the lab but Mikey, Donnie and Leo can somersault through it? Adrenaline trumps physics?

•How is Raph not dead? His shell was cracked, we heard it, he said it, but nope tis but a flesh wound I can shell surf down this mountain into a moving van.

Conclusion:

I really liked the movie, but for the wrong reasons. While I enjoy the good moments I am mostly laughing at the bad stuff. It feels like a so bad it’s good movie but the franchise has suffered far worse and this movie is nowhere near our lowest point. For those who like it for all the right reasons, enjoy!
Cheese-sickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:39 AM   #49
jenna
Mad Scientist
 
jenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Regarding the Run-Time, Its actually longer then the previous movies.
Yeah, I know. It seems to me that this film spent a lot more time on action sequences (not a bad thing), which left less time for the character-based stuff. Has anyone actually timed how long they spent zooming down that snowy hill? I haven't, but I'd bet it's longer than any action sequence in previous films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Oh My god, We are going to get TMNT 2 at the same time as the US on June 3rd 2016.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3949660/...?ref_=tt_dt_dt

I know IMDB isn't the best place to go so I put in a search and saw it mentioned here.

http://www.launchingfilms.com/releas....php?sort=date

So keep crossing your fingers and hope they stick to it.
Didn't the UK initially have August as the published release date for this one? I'm sure they did and they changed it earlier in the year. Here's hoping they don't pull that crap on us again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotNunchuckFury View Post
Great review jenna. I love this...



I too would like to of seen more of Karai and a stronger link for Splinter and the turtles to Japanese culture than discovering a discarded book on ninjitsu. But who knows? Maybe we'll get both next time around.

And I so hope we do get TMNT2 the same time as the US, that would be sweet!
Cheers. I agree that it'd be great to see expansion of this in the sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese-sickle View Post

•How come Raph couldn't break through the glass in the lab but Mikey, Donnie and Leo can somersault through it? Adrenaline trumps physics?

•How is Raph not dead? His shell was cracked, we heard it, he said it, but nope tis but a flesh wound I can shell surf down this mountain into a moving van.
Yup. This.
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #50
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,804
Saw the movie again today (3 times now), this time the screen was full ( a lot of kids today ) and everyone (including adults) were enjoying it, and were all laughing through out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post
Didn't the UK initially have August as the published release date for this one? I'm sure they did and they changed it earlier in the year. Here's hoping they don't pull that crap on us again!
Yeah it was supposed to come out in August over here, but it was going to be released in June (before they changed the date) in the US.
__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.


Last edited by Vicky82; 10-25-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:37 AM   #51
nimajneb
Stone Warrior
 
nimajneb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Croydon
Posts: 547
I absolutely loved the new movie, me and my wife both went into the cinema cautiously but from the opening cartoon sequence to the closing titles we loved it and both smiled throughout.
The set pieces were great ticking off the list of sewer and rooftop battles, great character development, sounded great and SFX were amazing and I thought there was real fan service; the story of how the turtles became the TMNT is very close to the IDW origin in the comics, the main cast are all there (if you accept that Sacks is Baxter Stockman's replacement) bar Casey Jones.
I did think it could have been half an hour longer though i'm not sure what i would have extended - maybe seen a little more Turtles at home or something?
All in all this is the best film i've seen in a long time, we're already planning on seeing this again. I liked the redeveloped Shredder too even though i thought i would hate the new look - it worked well and thought seeing Saki's face scarred was a nice nod to the Nick cartoon. I even thought Megan Fox was great as April and Arnett as Vernon - i think this was well cast.

How funny was the elevator scene - that killed me, the whole cinema laughed at that.

Did i blink and miss undercover Raph? that seems to be the only toy from the movie i see but it wasn't in the movie at all.
__________________
[SIZE="2"]

MICHELANGELO
I hear his bike turns into a plane, or like a jet pack. Hey Don, you're so smart, why don't we have jet packs?
DONATELLO
Yeah, that's good, Mikey. I don't even trust you with a driver's license.
[/
nimajneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:43 AM   #52
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimajneb View Post
Did i blink and miss undercover Raph? that seems to be the only toy from the movie i see but it wasn't in the movie at all.
nah, it got cut. With Eastman's cameo as well iirc
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:48 AM   #53
nimajneb
Stone Warrior
 
nimajneb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Croydon
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
nah, it got cut. With Eastman's cameo as well iirc
Thats a shame, considering how many times the Turtles went out undercover in the Fred Wolf cartoon it would have been a nice nod.

one more thing:
Working in TV in post production it bugged the hell out of me that some shots are flipped - Raph's scar on his lip kept moving to both sides of his mouth.
Considering how good the movie was i'll let it slide though...
__________________
[SIZE="2"]

MICHELANGELO
I hear his bike turns into a plane, or like a jet pack. Hey Don, you're so smart, why don't we have jet packs?
DONATELLO
Yeah, that's good, Mikey. I don't even trust you with a driver's license.
[/
nimajneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:59 AM   #54
jenna
Mad Scientist
 
jenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimajneb View Post
I did think it could have been half an hour longer though i'm not sure what i would have extended - maybe seen a little more Turtles at home or something?
I so agree with this. I would have happily sat through another hour just to see more of the dynamic between the turtles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimajneb View Post
Working in TV in post production it bugged the hell out of me that some shots are flipped - Raph's scar on his lip kept moving to both sides of his mouth.
Considering how good the movie was i'll let it slide though...
I'm so glad you said that. I noticed that too and wondered if I was going crazy!
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #55
nimajneb
Stone Warrior
 
nimajneb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Croydon
Posts: 547
I'm so glad you said that. I noticed that too and wondered if I was going crazy![/QUOTE]

Its annoying but you can understand why, creating a new file would take a good chunk of time to generate and render.
__________________
[SIZE="2"]

MICHELANGELO
I hear his bike turns into a plane, or like a jet pack. Hey Don, you're so smart, why don't we have jet packs?
DONATELLO
Yeah, that's good, Mikey. I don't even trust you with a driver's license.
[/
nimajneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:31 AM   #56
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior
 
D Piddy 1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Piddy 1982 View Post
Also they had a premier of the film on the opening night, and if you watch the video it looks like they all got given TMNT goodie bags. I wonder what was in the bags? Did anyone on the forum get to go to the event? Would love to know!

If I get to the event I'll def take some pics!
So I popped over to the "House of Vans" on Sunday. Basically the TMNT section is just one corridor containing about 20 pieces of art. All were pretty rad, I took pictures of about 15 pieces or so. I'll try and post them one day this week.

I did a bit of digging and it looks like they had a load of extra stuff on the opening night - for example here https://twitter.com/HouseOfVansLDN/s...92002919546881 it shows a t-shirt and some art on an easel. Those pieces weren't there on Sunday.

Also if you check out the Kawasaki website they have a competition to win a TMNT 2014 film branded motorbike! Enter here: http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/en/product...1BeWwoOWlpZUVg

Also pics here: https://twitter.com/ParamountUK/stat...55827259473920

It looks like the bikes were at the opening event too: ...can't find the link or image now. Nevermind!
__________________
Twitter handle: @D_Piddy1982

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #57
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,804
TMNT drops to no 2 in the UK Box Office chart

Quote:
Top 10 films 24-26 October

1. Fury, £2,692,786 from 462 sites (new)
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, £1,927,733 from 522 sites. Total: £7,890,052
3. Gone Girl, £1,597,962 from 526 sites. Total: £17,064,765
4. The Book of Life, £981,432 from 536 sites (new)
5. The Maze Runner, £905,314 from 445 sites. Total: £5,863,858
6. Annabelle, £749,621 from 401 sites. Total: £6,013,797
7. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, £571,581 from 453 sites. Total: £697,680
8. Happy New Year, £568,203 from 100 sites (new)
9. Love, Rosie, £482,535 from 379 sites (new)
10. The Babadook, £347,512 from 147 sites (new)
http://www.theguardian.com/film/film...nifer-lawrence
__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #58
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,471
I liked it too(saw it yesterday night) I must say....apart from the often mentioned stupid decisions like april being the most important character in the whole movie etc..I would also vote in for more turtles!it felt like if you had seen the trailers or some tv spots you really had seen all the turtles stuff that was in the movie!;(...
for me personally I would really enjoy seeing much more of them rooftop running and training above the cities roofs!I was so happy to see this at least getting in this movie for a brief moment at the beginning.sadly it was only that one moment and they immediatelly jumped of the building to get into the sewers...that moment when april snapped that pic is a perfect lil moment.something like that only much longer would rule in my eyes

I also had an idea about the sequel:shredder said something along the lines that the foot is grounded in myth for todays people..and thta he wishes to correct that.
well, I thought why not let saki return with the real foot in the next chapter (the sequel) and give us the bug eyes ninja again...also he could get ridd of the ridiculous transformer suit (which felt so unnecessary to me) and fullfill his goal...it could be that shredder used his men for this movies plot as decoys for sachs...so he sort of lend his muscle to sachs plan here...

last edit:man, I envy you guys who get to see this multiple times..over here its pretty expensive:i payed 26 euros for two tickets..that's 33 us dollars!can you imagine that?
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:54 AM   #59
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior
 
D Piddy 1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 712
Saw it for a second time now.

I have to say there are some bits that are hugely cringe worthy (especially Raphs speech at the end). I was squirming in my seat at times.

But it also had so many bits that had potential. But then they blew it. Even small bits. I loved it when April phoned the guy in the office to say there was a robbery at the docks, but the guy basically hung up on her...that sort of thing was straight out of the first movie for me.

Still enjoyed it thoroughly though, think the snow chase is the best bit for me.
__________________
Twitter handle: @D_Piddy1982

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #60
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Piddy 1982 View Post

Still enjoyed it thoroughly though, think the snow chase is the best bit for me.
I'm not surprised that scene landed well with most viewers, even some of those who didn't like the overall movie. I would almost promise that scene was the first one they plotted, roughed out, storyboarded, and pitched to the producers as a way to show off what they were planning to do with the movie. It's like the entire rest of the movie "grew" out of that one scene, and that one scene was given way more attention from the beginning than anything else in the movie.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tmnt 2014


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.