The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: whould you want tmnt education shows?
yes 7 31.82%
no 1 4.55%
no!!!!!!!!! way!! 14 63.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2004, 05:03 PM   #41
Shreddette
Hench Mutant
 
Shreddette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chained to Shredders Bed
Posts: 402
All that said, it was still my favourite action figure, alongside Usagi Yo Jimbo.
Shreddette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 06:01 PM   #42
Wes
Mad Scientist
 
Wes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A very scary place. With crayons!
Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletoncrew
You're faking that innocence! I've never done anything to my Shredder figure like you did!
No, seriously, I'm innocent! But I won't be if this thread continues... Ohhh jeez, talking about the Turtles learning the "ropes" as young'uns? Granted I don't have any kid Turtles, but I've got some pretty freakish alternatives...freakish alternatives with Don King hair. Is anyone else terrified?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddette
Like licked his plastic chest?
Snort.
Try having him fisted by MetalHead...

I love these TMNT emoticons.
__________________


* Scary-Crayon * Wesoteric * Chew your gum properly, ok?


Aaand... Technodrome buy/sell/trade thread here!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:23 AM   #43
Whitewolf89
Freedom Fighter and Ninja
 
Whitewolf89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Currently residing in the Turtles' Lair, NYC sewer system, NYC, NY
Posts: 2,927
TMNT memoribilia, I can understand, but ruining Saturday mornings with all the "educational" stuff?! Bleah. Saturday mornings are for having fun kicking back watching your favorite toons 'n' such, NOT getting pounded with stuff that is better left for weekdays. That's what SCHOOL is for, or was the last time I looked. Leave Saturday mornings for old-fashioned cartoon fun, and leave the educational stuff in the classroom the rest of the week, where it belongs. I wish they'd drop the 'politically-correct" garbage, too. When was the last time you saw Bugs Bunny being politically-correct, for Pete's sake?! That's what's caused the rest of us to lose some of the greatest cartoon series ever thought of, just 'cause some nitwits up in Washington DC think that they're, and I quote, "Too voilent", end-quote. Why can't they just leave well enough alone for once.?! Idiots.
__________________
Brother against brother...........
Whitewolf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 03:42 PM   #44
MW8979
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 431
I agree with you on that completely. Political correctness killed a lot of creativity in people (and not only in cartoons) by enforcing stupid rules. Shows have enough standards to put up with as it is to get on tv, but if they have to fill a quota of regulations, just because some people like to see perfect equality on tv, it pretty much limits what you can do and what kind of plots you can make. Some people try too hard.
MW8979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:28 PM   #45
Wes
Mad Scientist
 
Wes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A very scary place. With crayons!
Posts: 1,607
What do we mean by "political correctness" here? Or would answering that take us into one of those forbidden topics...?
__________________


* Scary-Crayon * Wesoteric * Chew your gum properly, ok?


Aaand... Technodrome buy/sell/trade thread here!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:26 PM   #46
Kali
Inactive Moderator
 
Kali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: California!
Posts: 11,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes
What do we mean by "political correctness" here? Or would answering that take us into one of those forbidden topics...?
That would depend on show type. For the new Turtles show, it's aimed at children, so they can't have extreme violence, and the like. Teaching lessons and morals.

It does kill a bit of creativity, but a lot of artists would also consider it a challenge, and enjoy dancing on that line.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:40 AM   #47
Skeletoncrew
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bearing in on your spicy brains
Posts: 3,275
Some of us prefer obliterating that line completely.
__________________

Adult TMNT fan art and fiction contest Now accepting entries!
Skeletoncrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:18 AM   #48
Wes
Mad Scientist
 
Wes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A very scary place. With crayons!
Posts: 1,607
Oh, you wacky Skel.

But if that's what you all mean by "political correctness" -- lack of extreme violence and positive messages -- then I'm definitely a fan of that. Most of the values I hold now I initially got from cartoons like TMNT (I certainly didn't get them from my parents) and rediscovered in my philosophical inquiries. But I don't think that would have happened if I hadn't already been receptive to them, so yeah, I think that's definitely something kids should have -- they'd probably be better adults for it, and the would would be a better place.

And I've got to admit, I blanched when Leo decapitated the Shredder. I was like, "WHAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?" "That," I thought, "was too much." And then I had to say it again after he picked his damned head up and strode off into the darkness.
__________________


* Scary-Crayon * Wesoteric * Chew your gum properly, ok?


Aaand... Technodrome buy/sell/trade thread here!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 02:52 AM   #49
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur
 
Tetsu Deinonychus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Studio Snowlion HQ
Posts: 3,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletoncrew
Some of us prefer obliterating that line completely.
I'm all for THAT!
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:00 AM   #50
Kali
Inactive Moderator
 
Kali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: California!
Posts: 11,101
I myself am not a fan of gratuitous violence (or sexuality, which has nothing to do with this show, but thought I'd throw it in here anyway) but some stories do require some violence, like this show. As long as there's a reason for it, and it isn't "just because it's cooler". Shredder's beheading was necessary, and not just because it's gruesome and shocking, but because that, and his walking away from it, gave a lot to the story. I do believe that lessons should be learned, both for the characters and the viewers. That's a part of life.

Strange thing is that parents scream "Foul!" if there's so much as a slap on a cartoon, yet they let, and even insist that their children watch the news, which is a lot more gruesome and upsetting than most shows I could name.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 02:33 PM   #51
MW8979
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 431
You're right about that, but I think that it works this way because the news only talks about it or briefly glimpses it, while cartoons show violence in a lot more detail. Still, nothing a few amendments can't change...
MW8979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 12:28 AM   #52
Skeletoncrew
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bearing in on your spicy brains
Posts: 3,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperShredder84
You're right about that, but I think that it works this way because the news only talks about it or briefly glimpses it, while cartoons show violence in a lot more detail. Still, nothing a few amendments can't change...
You must be joking. "...only talks about it or briefly glimpses it..." How many times did the news channels run footage of the World Trade Center being hit by those planes and collapsing? All those people dying in those buildings, and it was REAL. What happened on September 11th was far more traumatic than any cartoon violence I've ever seen. TV news loves violence and graphic images.
__________________

Adult TMNT fan art and fiction contest Now accepting entries!
Skeletoncrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.