The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2015, 05:37 PM   #81
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Also with a rumored budget of a paltry 70 million then you wonder that they are wasting money on this.
Is that the entire budget? I've heard that number repeated a few times on here, but I haven't read any reports about it personally, so I've got no idea.

If that's true, then the budget for the sequel would be basically slashed in half from the first's. That seems kind of insane.
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:41 PM   #82
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
While something like an NBA game is outside the norm for a TMNT movie and sounds absurd as the first bit of info we hear, what disappoints me is knowing they probably won't take these normal real life settings as an opportunity to treat these characters like people. I doubt most of them in charge can even wrap their minds around that concept.

Sure, the Turtles are a bit different than the average New Yorker, but if they're trying to make them fit the real world then it would help if they recognized that the guys would still have other aspects of their lives that are separate from just fighting the bad guys. (Film makers read: the down time people have asked for - for the Turtles, not Vern.) They aren't just weird "talking animals" who go home and sit in the dark until the next bad guy does something terrible. They're people who probably go home after a long night and grab some dinner and crash in front of the tv for a bit before going to bed.

Chances are high that, like many other people in the city, some or all of the Turtles might be fans of the local teams. What the Turtles might not give - other than blowing their cover - to have the option of attending one of those fabled super bowl parties with other fans. Why not tap into that? (Not necessarily those topics or spend too much time on it than a film can fit, but that perspective at least.) If they're trying to make them real to the viewer, simple things that are that relateable would go a long way. If they ever mange to do it I'll be pleasantly shocked.

Should be added I guess that their bedroom in particular being so full of their posters and other stuff helps that, I assume, but then of course in the actual film it was barely there.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #83
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist
 
MrTMNT2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
I didn't...claim it was what the f*ck are you talking about?
Just saying there's no point in saying you didn't pay to see the movie when it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
__________________

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #84
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
That can't be the budget. $70 million won't cover the catering on most of these types of flicks nowadays. That had to have been misreported or misquoted.

If it's accurate though... Haha, nice. If it openly looks like crap, people won't be razzle-dazzled into defending it.

Doubt it, though. Way too much CGI (we're talking 7-8 characters, at least, that will be all or heavily CGI) for that low a number. I do remember reading "TMNT 2" and "$70 million" in the same place, but I can't remember where, and I doubt it was referring to the entire budget. That seems crazy low.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #85
snake
Disgusting
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,231
Weird. It's probably just a working title.


How they haven't come up with something better is beyond me.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #86
NinjaPug
Foot Elite
 
NinjaPug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,390
I doubt that's the full production budget but if $70 million is then PD really doesn't give a crap about making anything decent. They're just trying to increase their bottom line.

Why should they waste money on this? The first one proved you don't need to put any thought into a TMNT movie to have people show up.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #87
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, it was people who thought it was the "BEST THING EVAR!!!" seeing it upwards of 5 times.

Not true. I saw it twice in the theater, and my hubby saw it with me the second time- but I didn't pay for any of those tickets. They were the freebies from Crush and the Nick TMNT DVD.



Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
While something like an NBA game is outside the norm for a TMNT movie and sounds absurd as the first bit of info we hear, what disappoints me is knowing they probably won't take these normal real life settings as an opportunity to treat these characters like people. I doubt most of them in charge can even wrap their minds around that concept.

Sure, the Turtles are a bit different than the average New Yorker, but if they're trying to make them fit the real world then it would help if they recognized that the guys would still have other aspects of their lives that are separate from just fighting the bad guys. (Film makers read: the down time people have asked for - for the Turtles, not Vern.) They aren't just weird "talking animals" who go home and sit in the dark until the next bad guy does something terrible. They're people who probably go home after a long night and grab some dinner and crash in front of the tv for a bit before going to bed.

Chances are high that, like many other people in the city, some or all of the Turtles might be fans of the local teams. What the Turtles might not give - other than blowing their cover - to have the option of attending one of those fabled super bowl parties with other fans. Why not tap into that? (Not necessarily those topics or spend too much time on it than a film can fit, but that perspective at least.) If they're trying to make them real to the viewer, simple things that are that relateable would go a long way. If they ever mange to do it I'll be pleasantly shocked.

Should be added I guess that their bedroom in particular being so full of their posters and other stuff helps that, I assume, but then of course in the actual film it was barely there.

I'd actually like to see something like that, where they are sneaking in to watch a game, and Vern just happens to be there. Or maybe April is doing an interview at the game, and Vern's there, and something happens while they are doing the interview that gets the turtles involved. Any of these things could happen, and all of them would make sense.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #88
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
There's a few articles which claim that they will spend an estimated 63 million out of a budget of 70 million while shooting in New York.

It does sound unlikely that this is the whole budget. I would guess that's just for shooting and there will be more for cgi and the like.

That being said I don't think the budget will be significantly more than the last. I have a suspicion that it might be the same or less. I know Liebesman was banking on the cgi being cheaper to do in the sequel now that they had the models for the turtles, Splinter and Shredder and Dave Green is apparently good for working on big visuals on a small budget. Who knows maybe 70 mill is a more accurate figure than we may believe.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #89
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Not true. I saw it twice in the theater, and my hubby saw it with me the second time- but I didn't pay for any of those tickets. They were the freebies from Crush and the Nick TMNT DVD.
Well, there's always exceptions to the rule....

Did you think it was "TEH BEST THING EVAR!" though? Seeing it twice, for free, doesn't equate to enjoying it.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #90
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist
 
Cryomancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,090
"Yeah, I really want Vern to come back in a new TMNT movie" -no one, ever

"That was great, but how about if Vern had a girlfriend and scenes dedicated to just those two?" -somehow yet even less than no one, ever
__________________

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #91
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
"Who sees a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, anyway?" - Paramount/Platinum Dunes Execs.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #92
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Not true. I saw it twice in the theater, and my hubby saw it with me the second time- but I didn't pay for any of those tickets. They were the freebies from Crush and the Nick TMNT DVD.
I'm still curious if all the freebie tickets they were throwing around counted toward the box office totals. Because those things were everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I'd actually like to see something like that, where they are sneaking in to watch a game, and Vern just happens to be there. Or maybe April is doing an interview at the game, and Vern's there, and something happens while they are doing the interview that gets the turtles involved. Any of these things could happen, and all of them would make sense.
A live NBA game would be the most risky place ever for them to "hide" - bright lights and cameras everywhere. Then again, they didn't care much about being stealthy in the first movie, so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
There's a few articles which claim that they will spend an estimated 63 million out of a budget of 70 million while shooting in New York.

It does sound unlikely that this is the whole budget. I would guess that's just for shooting and there will be more for cgi and the like.
That sounds more realistic. Regardless - I'm curious. Either the budget's been slashed (and would likely look it) or it's as/more expensive than the first and coming out in a far more competitive month.
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #93
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If it openly looks like crap, people won't be razzle-dazzled into defending it.
Oh yes they will. You know there'll always be folks who will defend it no matter what. I think it's like, Stockholm Syndrome at work or something.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #94
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Yeah, the TMNT fandom has something I'm going to coin "Stockman Syndrome."

"I've gotta support ANYTHING TMNT, even the worst, or else we'll never get GOOD TMNT again."
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #95
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Don't forget, "It made money, so it's awesome."
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #96
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache
 
TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
I'm still curious if all the freebie tickets they were throwing around counted toward the box office totals. Because those things were everywhere.
Yeah, it makes me wonder a little if Paramount was concerned that ticket sales might be a little underwhelming, so they encouraged people to see it through free tickets on Crush soda or wherever.

Say what you will about this film, they did a good job plastering the turtles across every Crush soda they could.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
IDW took the OT straw and spun it into gold, while Platinum Dunes took the OT straw and spun it into manure.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #97
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, there's always exceptions to the rule....

Did you think it was "TEH BEST THING EVAR!" though? Seeing it twice, for free, doesn't equate to enjoying it.

I liked it enough to see it again, obviously, even though I could've used those Crush tickets for a different movie. Never claimed it was "BEST THING EVER!", but I liked it for what it was.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
A live NBA game would be the most risky place ever for them to "hide" - bright lights and cameras everywhere. Then again, they didn't care much about being stealthy in the first movie, so.

Eh, not if they went "Gargoyle style", and hid in the rafters or under stands or something. Most arenas have plenty of places one could hide in to watch without anyone seeing you. Though it would be funny if they just disguised themselves like in the "Fallen Angel" episode of 2K3 at the Purple Dragons initiation fight. Then they could hide right in the middle of the crowd, and no one would notice! (Stretching it, I know, given their size, but.... I'm going for the "ironic" factor here. Run with it, LOL!)
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:40 PM   #98
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
They are seven feet tall and weigh about 700lbs each. Climbing in rafters? Are you serious? They play jacks with shipping crates, for crap's sake. They'd cause serious structural damage.

Like, maybe the Ninja Turtles could do that kinda thing, yeah. Not these Shrek/Hulk?Gamera monstrosities.

Then again, "F*** Physics" could've been the first movie's subtitle, so whatever. It'd look stupid with these goofs, though.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:49 PM   #99
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Then again, "F*** Physics" could've been the first movie's subtitle, so whatever. It'd look stupid with these goofs, though.
Indeed:
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #100
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Indeed:
That scene is funny literally make me laugh out loud.
I am hoping it means the sequel will take a new direction.
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
butthurt, half-shell


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.