The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #101
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
Okay, while I love the toddler Turtles in the 2003 eps, I don't think I could handle a whole season of them, especially how they meet the grown-up Turtles. These ideas are very pathetic. Just go back to 2003 and continue on from Ninja Tribunal and FF. It's not that hard.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #102
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,389
There are several ways of looking at this. If Laird wanted to, he could have accepted Playmates ideas, but "tweeked" it so Splinter wouldnt be Hamato, and then move forward from there, because everything else would have worked. New Shredder? Bring it on, we've had two other Shredders since Ch'rell was exiled. Rat King? He's still around in the current series

The fact he wont edit the idea and even attempt a version that applies to what he wants the show to be proves he doesnt want to acknowledge the success and legacy of the ARCHIE title. And it's sickening. THIS is why "Forever War" has been delayed by years, and now, when the franchise has characters that Playmates KNOW can bring in the kind of success the toyline of the original series had, he wont' do it because he didnt have s*it to do with the success of the Mutanimals, or anything else spun out of that company.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #103
odupianist
Mad Scientist
 
odupianist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,744
Why the old toon splinter idea? And I agree drtooth, the animation these days sucks compared to our youth. people rely on too much computer animation (some is alright, but not the whole show) instead of pure talent. oh well...

EDIT: maybe 4kids should sell their 1/3 (on the assumption that PM has 1/3, Mirage has a 1/3 and 4kids has a 1/3) to Kevin Eastman, then they can revamp the TMNT and every station will want it

Last edited by odupianist; 10-03-2007 at 02:16 PM. Reason: .
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #104
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
There were things about the Playmates pitch I didn't like. The "true teenagers" bit being one of them, the other being an entire continuity reboot coupled with Splinter having the Old Toon origin. I think if Laird wanted he could have tweeked enough of their ideas to fit the Archie/Old Toon characters into the existing 2k3 universe without much pain.

I mean, at the end of the day, Playmates really only wants to do that so they can sell the toys of those characters. If it's a new universe or part of a continuous one, I don't think they'd care so much.

I mean, we've aleady got Leatherhead (who turned good in Archie), the Rat King (as enigmatic as ever) and the Turtlebot who could be rebuilt as a Metalhead-like character (though not called Metalhead since the Mirage Metalhead has already been introduced in the 2k3 universe). Heck, one of the Dark Turtles, preferrably Dark Leo, could take on the identity of Slash if the other three wound up dead or something. I'd buy that for a dollar.

There are lots of clever and interesting ways to reinroduce and reinvision those characters. If Laird would just get off his "not my vision" high horse for five seconds maybe he'd realize that.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #105
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,214
Yea that "first time as teenagers" thing was bull ****, makes me think they have some wild idea about how teenagers act today. But other than that, it seemed great to me. Meh, we have about 200 OT episodes, over 100 NT episodes, lots of good comics, 3 good movies... we don't need a good TMNT series right?

Last edited by ToTheNines; 10-03-2007 at 04:12 PM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:00 PM   #106
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
To be fair I see why Laird rejected Playmates idea.

They wanted to bring Shredder back (again) and have old toon Splinter there? Uh, unless they were doing some parallel dimension storyline, how would they explain a Hamato Yoshi Splinter and the current 2k3 Splinter together, especially since Hamato Yoshi was killed in the current cartoon?

And why Mutagen Man? He was only in 1 episode of the old show and is far from a popular character. Random.
He could take that idea and implement it all into the 2k3 world nothing is concrete.
And I'm sure they went with Mutagen man A. because he's wicked cool looking and B. because Peter Laird created him.
And I'm sure those where just examples. The idea is brilliant to have an ultimate tmnt he shouldn't have been so quick to turn it down because he could have made it work unless he really has no faith in himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
There are several ways of looking at this. If Laird wanted to, he could have accepted Playmates ideas, but "tweeked" it so Splinter wouldnt be Hamato, and then move forward from there, because everything else would have worked. New Shredder? Bring it on, we've had two other Shredders since Ch'rell was exiled. Rat King? He's still around in the current series

The fact he wont edit the idea and even attempt a version that applies to what he wants the show to be proves he doesnt want to acknowledge the success and legacy of the ARCHIE title. And it's sickening. THIS is why "Forever War" has been delayed by years, and now, when the franchise has characters that Playmates KNOW can bring in the kind of success the toyline of the original series had, he wont' do it because he didnt have s*it to do with the success of the Mutanimals, or anything else spun out of that company.
Wow you Zarius seem like a changed man. I have to say I agree but he did create allot of the characters or had a hand in helping design them at least.
It bother me allot also that he would just toss out characters he doesnt like when the opertunity is given to him to change them and make them into characters he does like.
I really do hope what all of us are saying hits him upside the head like tripple h's sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
There are lots of clever and interesting ways to reinroduce and reinvision those characters. If Laird would just get off his "not my vision" high horse for five seconds maybe he'd realize that.
EXACTLYYY!!!! This is the stuff people need to be posting in Murphys Blog because Peter is seeing it.

Last edited by VaughnMichael; 10-03-2007 at 03:06 PM.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:06 PM   #107
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent View Post
Wow you Zarius seem like a changed man. I have to say I agree but he did create allot of the characters or had a hand in helping design them at least.
It bother me allot also that he would just toss out characters he doesnt like when the opertunity is given to him to change them and make them into characters he does like.
Oh I'll defend Pete when it comes to things that don't deserve drama, like the hostility to Volume Four and April the living crayon drawing, because THIS is where the criticisms are valid and make some form of sense. Laird is holding on too much to what he's made a success to try and change so the franchise can be more noticable.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #108
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Oh I'll defend Pete when it comes to things that don't deserve drama, like the hostility to Volume Four and April the living crayon drawing, because THIS is where the criticisms are valid and make some form of sense. Laird is holding on too much to what he's made a success to try and change so the franchise can be more noticable.
And he's screwing things up by being this way.
Like I said if he doesn't like it theres nothing stoping him from changing these characters and their stories besides himself.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:12 PM   #109
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent View Post
EXACTLYYY!!!! This is the stuff people need to be posting in Murphys Blog because Peter is seeing it.
I hope Murphy does manage to convince Laird to look at the comments or at least reevaluate his "No Archie characters ever" decree. However, if his ego is anything even remotely close to how it was described in that recent Eastman interview, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #110
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
I hope Murphy does manage to convince Laird to look at the comments or at least reevaluate his "No Archie characters ever" decree. However, if his ego is anything even remotely close to how it was described in that recent Eastman interview, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Well you have to remember what Eastman said to do about that Ego of his.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #111
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent View Post
Well you have to remember what Eastman said to do about that Ego of his.
Heh, yeah. Just make it all sound like it was Laird's idea from the beginning and that he's a genius and I'm sure he'd be all over the concept. That's how Kevin Munroe got us the CG movie, after all.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #112
Drtooth
Foot Elite
 
Drtooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
There are several ways of looking at this. If Laird wanted to, he could have accepted Playmates ideas, but "tweeked" it so Splinter wouldnt be Hamato, and then move forward from there, because everything else would have worked. New Shredder? Bring it on, we've had two other Shredders since Ch'rell was exiled. Rat King? He's still around in the current series

The fact he wont edit the idea and even attempt a version that applies to what he wants the show to be proves he doesnt want to acknowledge the success and legacy of the ARCHIE title. And it's sickening. THIS is why "Forever War" has been delayed by years, and now, when the franchise has characters that Playmates KNOW can bring in the kind of success the toyline of the original series had, he wont' do it because he didnt have s*it to do with the success of the Mutanimals, or anything else spun out of that company.
Words have been taken out of my mouth.

He's becoming as much of an over protective jerk destroying his own creation as George Lucas has. I can respect caring for something you created, but.... wow...just wow.

I can see in like 5 years TMNT (1990) the special edition will come out where Shredder attacks Leonardo first, the characters are replaced by floating, inconsistant with the rest of the film CGI, and then the O'neil farm would have been reinvisioned as a big bustling farm the way he always wanted (for a week).
__________________
[Insert mildly amusing banner here]
Drtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #113
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
Well, Lucas has at least gotten better about it.

He released the unaltered trilogy on DVD and he has absolutely no problem with expanded universe fiction and merchandise. I mean, I was at K-Mart the other day and saw toys of Mara Jade and other characters he had no hand in creating.

And even the prequel trilogy had stuff taken from Expanded Universe fiction, like vehicles and aliens from the freakin Droids cartoon. Hell, Lucas even let a toy of Holiday Special Boba Fett get released, and he is not shy about expressing his eternal loathing for the Holiday Special.

Meanwhile Laird will let nothing see the light of day unless it's part of "his vision" and can only be coaxt into doing so by being convinced he thought it up in the first place (essentially, stealing other people's ideas).

When it comes to Lucas and Laird, I think Lucas is MUCH more diplomatic.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #114
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Like I said before go over to Murphys Blog. http://the-5th-turtle.blogspot.com/
Post your comments because he's showing them to Laird but please don't bash Laird in your comments it's not going to help us at all with trying to get things the way we all want to see them or er I mean the way Laird wants to see them. lol
Seriously though Zarius you should go over there and make your voice heard.
It's time to Speak up and Murphy is giving us that opportunity.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:38 PM   #115
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
I've posted my thoughts there already and while I'm not 100% positive toward Laird in them, I don't think I'm being overly harsh. At least, not nearly as negative as I'm being in this thread.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:46 PM   #116
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
I've posted my thoughts there already and while I'm not 100% positive toward Laird in them, I don't think I'm being overly harsh. At least, not nearly as negative as I'm being in this thread.
Heh oh well I'd hope Murphy would edit them out anyways only showing laird the points we're trying to make.
I think this series may actully go the direction it needs to with us the fans and the help of Murphy talking to Peter.
I know he's been busting his hump working on things for the turtles anniversary but to me doing a show that's Ultimate tmnt would be the best anniversary present ever.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #117
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
One wonders if the idea about essentially a "Tales" toon has been posted. *heads over to Murph's blog*

New Blog!! TMNT is moving to the CW.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #118
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
One wonders if the idea about essentially a "Tales" toon has been posted. *heads over to Murph's blog*
Yeah it has even Slash said they should just call the next season Tales of tMNT which I agree would be a great title.
They could do just about anything if they went the way tales volume 2 is going.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #119
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Yeah, I read Slash's posts. He says all I wanted to say...so i won't.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #120
Mr. Stay Puft
Stone Warrior
 
Mr. Stay Puft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 580
Ultimate TMNT sounds like a good idea, minus the continuity reboot. Bring in "new" character (new to 2k3 anyway), but keep the origins for Splinter and the turtles the same.
__________________


And there came a day. A day unlike any other, when Earth’s mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat, to fight the foes no single superhero could withstand. On that day, the Avengers were born.

R.I.P Chi Cheng and Jeff Hanneman
Mr. Stay Puft is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tmnt: overload


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.