The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #121
TrickOrTreater
Samhain
 
TrickOrTreater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
...gives me a slight bit of hope. I want to hope that Paramount recognizes that this movie was a mess and that they plan going to address that with more than switching directors for appearances' sake. I'd love it if this was just the beginning of a behind-the-scenes "creative differences" thing that slowly turns the next movie into a full reboot with a totally different creative team, but I recognize that's a pipe dream and I'm getting way ahead of myself here.
Bay's back, writers are back. They were rewarded for their crap and are probably going to follow it up with more crap.

Quote:
Like... you get that this itself is derailing the thread, right? Don't instigate and we'll be fine.
That irony is usually lost.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #122
jenna
Mad Scientist
 
jenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus
I think it's safe to say we'll at least get Bebop of Rocksteady regardless of whoever directs it.

Also I'm not sure those characters are really what fans really want. A good movie let's start with that first before shoe-horning in stuff from the Fred Wolf for no reason other than nostalgia for some with their mere presence and wrath in others because they weren't done right.
Exactly. And that's also the total wrong perspective to make a movie from, and exactly why this one was such a mess - they were more concerned with cramming in empty fan service than telling a good story. All I want is for them to make a good movie. I don't need Bebop and Rocksteady or pizza or cowabunga or the Party Wagon or the Technodrome. Those things are all fine and well if they compliment a good story, but in this movie they were just a distraction from a bad one.
This is exactly what I was trying to say. You've both just said it much better than I did, so quoting out of respect for the articulate and for emphasis.
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:33 AM   #123
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
What work? He's made one apparently mediocre kids movie.

That's it.
And a few shorts, but my point is that that is still work, and not enough to judge how good the next movie will be. I think declaring it's already a succsess or a disaster is foolish, until we know more.

And yes, we still have Bay and the writers behind this guy, but behind them we have a Paramount who wants to try a new direction- a Paramount that, might've realized that while they did make a profit with this, had thier bottom line hurt by this mess of a movie. This was a movie that did make money, but could've made more had it been at least decent.
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #124
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post
Hmm. Ok. Will watch this space with an open mind. But I will say this...

I don't know Dave Green, but I do know that found-footage movies are not even remotely comparable to New Hollywood Cinema. Basic fundamental rules for camera work, script, editing, getting the best out of actors are irrelevant in found-footage films, so the quality of his existing work tells us nothing.

The most important factor to me is whether or not he cares about the franchise. Is he a fan? What's his experience of TMNT? Is his main contact with TMNT the OT and if so, will he broaden his horizons and research other incarnations? We need someone who gives a sh!t.

For all I know, he respects the franchise. If that's the case then, Dave, congratulations! Good luck to ya. I look forward to your work.

As for Bebop and Rocksteady...

Leibesman was banging on in another interview about the reason the turtles only had limited screen time was a budgetary one. By introducing more CGI characters they are going to either a) have to massively up the budget in order to give the turtles more exposure; or b) have the turtles as secondary characters again. I could deal with that in the first film because it seemed appropriate to introduce them through the eyes of someone relatable, but now it's the TURTLES' TURN to have central focus. I for one am very sceptical of that happening if there are more CGI characters in the mix.

As someone said above, Bebop and Rocksteady will have to be done very well in order to deliver any kind of threat to the turtles and based on the first film I don't believe PD can do it - just look at the design and character of Splinter - a much more important character and a massive fail. Personally I'd rather see the turtles have more screen time and some character development than see another rehash of OT characters. The film will need to be nothing short of amazing to convince me that Bebop and Rocksteady have any place on the big screen.

Promising fans OT villains at this early stage - before a script even exists - is just more smoke and mirrors. Right now I don't want to hear which characters are in it. I want to hear that they will do their best to make a coherent film with a plot that makes sense. All they're doing is pandering to the market that regards the OT as the source material and boasting about a cinematic spectacle (like the snow chase) as if that somehow exempts the movie from any other minimum standards. "We don't need the villains' plan to make sense - we have an awesome snow chase scene...." It just reeks of arse-about-face plotting, building a plot around a concept or character designed to capitalise on the mass-market, rather than utilising a concept or character that genuinely serves and benefits the plot. That's how plot-holes appear. Going public with this information at this very premature stage sets a worrying precedent for how this film is going to be treated.

Not meaning to sound negative - I know a lot of you really want Bebop and Rocksteady. I just want a film that has its priorities right, ie a decent plot where the turtles are the main characters, and character development.
People shouldn't just want bebop and rocksteady. People should want them done right.

This movie is a sequel to a crapstorm. Of course it has a lot against it from the getgo. I do not envy this guy. It will take a lot to get the bad taste out of people's mouths and make this a good movie and yer somehow make it seem like a sequel to the first one. After all how many movies have we seen where the original was a mindless plot disaster.... And then have a sequel suddenly have more character development and deeper family themes? If anything the sequel will probably develop April further as we go deeper into her lovelife and career and oh yeah, the turtles happen to be there. Remember how transformers went from Sam getting his first car in high school to moving up to college to his big job as an adult? Yeah. Didn't need to see The Saga de Witwicky in a movie that's supposed to be about giant alien robots.

To succeed this has to stay as far away from this one as it possibly can. A kinda/sorta but not really sequel like the Incredible Hulk was to The Hulk is the only way this going to work.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #125
TrickOrTreater
Samhain
 
TrickOrTreater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
And a few shorts, but my point is that that is still work, and not enough to judge how good the next movie will be. I think declaring it's already a succsess or a disaster is foolish, until we know more.

And yes, we still have Bay and the writers behind this guy, but behind them we have a Paramount who wants to try a new direction- a Paramount that, might've realized that while they did make a profit with this, had thier bottom line hurt by this mess of a movie. This was a movie that did make money, but could've made more had it been at least decent.
So we've got the people partly/mostly who were responsible for the first movie sucking back, Bay/writers, we've got a new, completely inexperienced director, and the same studio that put Bay in charge in the first place is also back...

Why in hell should I bother to be optimistic about this movie?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #126
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
Bay's back, writers are back. They were rewarded for their crap and are probably going to follow it up with more crap.
Oh yeah, that's very likely the case. It's really that I want to be hopeful, but they haven't given me a reason to be. Realistically, you're probably right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post
This is exactly what I was trying to say. You've both just said it much better than I did, so quoting out of respect for the articulate and for emphasis.
Just consider it a tag-team match.
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #127
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
So we've got the people partly/mostly who were responsible for the first movie sucking back, Bay/writers, we've got a new, completely inexperienced director, and the same studio that put Bay in charge in the first place is also back...

Why in hell should I bother to be optimistic about this movie?
The same people who made the last minute changes in the mess of a movie out of fear of fan backlash, who aren't going to be stupid enough to try to get away with alien turtles and white shredder again. And a studio who wants more money out of thier superhero franchise that it earned. I say again, TMNT was a sucsess, but it was supposed to be a bigger succsess. Bay did not strike gold this time.

And you shouldn't be optimistic, but I think it's foolish to be pessimistic at this point, ethier. Paramount wants a new direction, what bay and From and Nemec produced last time was half-baked goods, that could have been more profitible. I don't care how much clout Michel Bay has, if the studio thinks changes will make more money, there will be changes. Yes, the studio will see problems and fix them when $$$ are involved.

And by the way, for the first movie haters; I do think the last movie was a mess. I'll not be defending it on here.
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 12-05-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #128
TrickOrTreater
Samhain
 
TrickOrTreater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I don't care how much clout Michel Bay has, if the studio thinks changes will make more money, there will be changes.
And so far, their first change is a mediocre one at best.

Hiring a guy with one average, low budget, found footage kids movie to his name.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #129
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
The same people who made the last minute changes in the mess of a movie out of fear of fan backlash, who aren't going to be stupid enough to try to get away with alien turtles and white shredder again. And a studio who wants more money out of thier superhero franchise that it earned. I say again, TMNT was a sucsess, but it was supposed to be a bigger succsess. Bay did not strike gold this time.

And you shouldn't be optimistic, but I think it's foolish to be pessimistic at this point, ethier. Paramount wants a new direction, what bay and From and Nemec produced last time was half-baked goods, that could be more profitible. I don't care how much clout Michel Bay has, if the studio thinks changes will make more money, there will be changes.

And by the way, for the first movie haters; I do think the last movie was a mess. I'll not be defending it on here.
I'm more of a mutual don't really care camp unless I hear of a reboot. It can't be that much worse but not that much better either. It doesn't matter if they go for a new direction because being a sequel already limits. If they go too far into some new direction that actually does the franchise justice... Then they'd be better off just making it a whole new movie and not a continuation to this tripe.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:56 AM   #130
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I'm more of a mutual don't really care camp unless I hear of a reboot. It can't be that much worse but not that much better either. It doesn't matter if they go for a new direction because being a sequel already limits. If they go too far into some new direction that actually does the franchise justice... Then they'd be better off just making it a whole new movie and not a continuation to this tripe.
Coola, I'd be fine with a reboot, but only if we got something like; the Turtles and shredder are already at war, and Shredder makes rocksteady and Bebop because his foot soldiers have failed so much. No orgin retelling and no retelling of the first meeting with april- let's dive right into Bebop and rocksteady and baxter stockman- and leave the backstory open for those who liked or hated the first movie, to ethier treat it as the movie's backstory, or pretend it doesn't exist.
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #131
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
Never heard of the bloke, although a quick glance at his wiki page shows that he supports Man City and that he has directed on Emmerdale. The former is a good thing, the latter isn't.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #132
d_osborn
Mad Scientist
 
d_osborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,424
It also sounds like the same writing crew is back. I'm personally not holding out a lot of hope for a drastic shift in tone from the first PD TMNT movie.

For such a young, new director, it must be pretty cool being handed the keys to a large project like TMNT. There's a chance he could bring some interesting things.

Hell, his previous film was a found footage, right? Maybe the whole movie will be footage from Donnie's shell cameras.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #133
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Coola, I'd be fine with a reboot, but only if we got something like; the Turtles and shredder are already at war, and Shredder makes rocksteady and Bebop because his foot soldiers have failed so much. No orgin retelling and no retelling of the first meeting with april- let's dive right into Bebop and rocksteady and baxter stockman- and leave the backstory open for those who liked or hated the first movie, to ethier treat it as the movie's backstory, or pretend it doesn't exist.
It could be done. If they could pull off all that jazz in 5 episodes I see no reason why shredder can't already be with krang in the Technodrome right off the bat. And after the tmnt best the foot in the first fight or so in the movie shredder can send bebop and rocksteady out for the rematch... In the same movie.

Honestly it shouldn't take an entire movie to make shredde realize if my enemies are freaks then I need freaks of mine to take them out.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #134
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,160
I hope the sequel is bigger, If they put Krang in it, I expect a scene where we see the Technodrome showing up, Maybe some sort of invasion like the one shown on the Nick series.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #135
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
I'd curb your expectations until we see an announced budget, Champ.

With this last move they were apparently tweaking the SFX on a video toaster up until the last minute, in the car on the way to deliver the movie to theaters (maybe I'm exaggerating a tiny bit), exhausting every last possible dollar and second they had to spare, and the movie STILL looked like ass in a lot of places. They're gonna have twice as many CGI Hulks to work into the mix if they do Bebop, Rocksteady and Krang... and we still don't know exactly what they're looking to spend on this thing. But it's probably not a LOT more than they spent the first time, which makes me wonder how they think they're going to do twice the work for the same amount of money, with (very likely) the same running time.

They'll probably have SOME of what you're hoping for, but not to the scale you're probably expecting. If anything, it could pretty much be like the second Fantastic Four movie... "Yeah, we kinda don't know how we're gonna do Galactus because we spent all our money on Silver Surfer, so here ya go. Space Locusts." I doubt they're gonna spend the money on a full-blown "Invasion" just yet.

I mean, if it turns out the second movie has a much higher budget and is gonna go another 40 minutes, then I'll recant, but I doubt either of those things will be true.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #136
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'd curb your expectations until we see an announced budget, Champ.

With this last move they were apparently tweaking the SFX on a video toaster up until the last minute, in the car on the way to deliver the movie to theaters (maybe I'm exaggerating a tiny bit), exhausting every last possible dollar and second they had to spare, and the movie STILL looked like ass in a lot of places. They're gonna have twice as many CGI Hulks to work into the mix if they do Bebop, Rocksteady and Krang... and we still don't know exactly what they're looking to spend on this thing. But it's probably not a LOT more than they spent the first time, which makes me wonder how they think they're going to do twice the work for the same amount of money, with (very likely) the same running time.

They'll probably have SOME of what you're hoping for, but not to the scale you're probably expecting. If anything, it could pretty much be like the second Fantastic Four movie... "Yeah, we kinda don't know how we're gonna do Galactus because we spent all our money on Silver Surfer, so here ya go. Space Locusts." I doubt they're gonna spend the money on a full-blown "Invasion" just yet.

I mean, if it turns out the second movie has a much higher budget and is gonna go another 40 minutes, then I'll recant, but I doubt either of those things will be true.
Another thing I'm hoping for is a longer running time, If they are gonna cram more characters in the sequel, It needs to be longer then 102 minutes.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #137
Lou 500
Hench Mutant
 
Lou 500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKatanas View Post
He made this:

http://vimeo.com/23464277

I trust him.
I'm having flashbacks to Pizza Face. The spaghetti even sounded like Xever.

Last edited by Lou 500; 12-05-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Lou 500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #138
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
What is somewhat disconcerting is that out of the three writers responsible for TMNT 2014 Evan Daugherty is not reported to be returning, He was seemingly brought in specificaly because he had at least a passing familiarity with the the old show.

Now we're stuck with the two responsible for the Blue Door.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #139
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post
Leibesman was banging on in another interview about the reason the turtles only had limited screen time was a budgetary one. By introducing more CGI characters they are going to either a) have to massively up the budget in order to give the turtles more exposure; or b) have the turtles as secondary characters again. I could deal with that in the first film because it seemed appropriate to introduce them through the eyes of someone relatable, but now it's the TURTLES' TURN to have central focus. I for one am very sceptical of that happening if there are more CGI characters in the mix.
Yeah, that's my main concern if they're adding in a whole bunch of characters, esp CGI ones. Don't really want to see the Turtles lacking screen time again, or lacking even more, because new characters have to receive enough to make their addition worth it.



If this guy does direct, I hope for his own sake he's got the backbone to not just be a 'yes man' for the company. Would not put it past that industry to allow a new-ish guy like that take the fall for them it if doesn't go over well, and then what, it becomes "so-in-so has never made a good movie, why should they direct this next thing..." Shame if that happens and someone hasn't had much chance to prove themselves. Stand your ground Mr. Director. Fight back against the tide of insanity. (And hell... lock Bay in a room and just let him scream in there until premier day.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #140
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache
 
TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
What is somewhat disconcerting is that out of the three writers responsible for TMNT 2014 Evan Daugherty is not reported to be returning, He was seemingly brought in specificaly because he had at least a passing familiarity with the the old show.

Now we're stuck with the two responsible for the Blue Door.
I guess the other two writers consider themselves TMNT experts now, and don't need him anymore.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
IDW took the OT straw and spun it into gold, while Platinum Dunes took the OT straw and spun it into manure.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dave green


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.