The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #1501
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,180
Meh, it looks ok, doesn't look bad but it doesn't look too exciting either. I'm sure this Batman movie will be fine though, perhaps a bit safe. More excited for Flashpoint though and I don't really like Batman 1989 all that much so it isn't nostalgia.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #1502
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
What about it looks safe to you? Just curious.

Flashpoint is def taking some risks with multiverse, but then again, maybe it's not by relying on Batman.

I'm about to watch "Let Me In", directed by Reeves. I'm not a huge fan of Cloverfield, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't necessarily his Pet Project. I also actually found his Apes films kind of boring as well, but that might be on me because people seem to love them.

Last edited by AquaParade; 08-23-2020 at 02:06 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:06 PM   #1503
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
What about it looks safe to you? Just curious.

Flashpoint is def taking some risks with multiverse, but then again, maybe it's not by relying on Batman.
What felt "new" and not already done in a previous Batman film? We already got a Year 1/2 Batman with both Keaton and Bale. I mean the trailer felt like more of the same, which I'm sure will turn out fine but not like "omg I can't wait to see this new thing they're trying".

Flashpoint is a crossover movie and yes it will have Batman so in a way it's something we haven't seen in a Batman film yet. Could turn out great or horrible but at least it's fresher so I'm more excited than a movie that I know will likely just be ok.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #1504
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
What felt "new" and not already done in a previous Batman film? We already got a Year 1/2 Batman with both Keaton and Bale. I mean the trailer felt like more of the same, which I'm sure will turn out fine but not like "omg I can't wait to see this new thing they're trying".

Flashpoint is a crossover movie and yes it will have Batman so in a way it's something we haven't seen in a Batman film yet. Could turn out great or horrible but at least it's fresher so I'm more excited than a movie that I know will likely just be ok.
Yeah, that's true. Batman in general is a rather safe choice for Hollywood and this looks fresh, but it's not necessarily something one might say we never seen before.

There was a rumor that Reeves was setting an atmosphere between Burton's gothic flavor and Nolan's realist take. I can definitely see that in the trailer. The goons look straight out of Burton's world, but feel more real and dangerous.

I'm certainly excited for Flashpoint as well.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #1505
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,789
Looks like another great Batman movie. For the most part aside from the late 90's, Batman has a very strong track record with movies. Even the "weaker" movies like Dark Knight Rises is still decent at worst.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #1506
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
Get this: I'm watching Matt Reeves' film "Let me in". It's a vampire movie Matt wrote & directed, featuring the composer and cinematographer of the upcoming Batman film. Talk about similarities. So if you want to get a good idea of how this team operates, here is your best bet. Bonus: it features Elias Koteas, our beloved Casey Jones. How appropriate.

I'm not a huge fan of Reeves' past work but I know many are. I'll let you know if I have strong feelings about this one.

EDIT: finished watching. Sort of dragged for me. Good flick. I can recommend it based on quality but I did find it a little boring. The effects were also pretty bad, but there are some genuinely creepy moments, high tension scenes, and a few cool visuals.

Last edited by AquaParade; 08-23-2020 at 08:04 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:01 PM   #1507
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite
 
LeotheLateBloomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Get this: I'm watching Matt Reeves' film "Let the Right one in". It's a vampire movie Matt wrote & directed, featuring the composer and cinematographer of the upcoming Batman film. Talk about similarities. So if you want to get a good idea of how this team operates, here is your best bet. Bonus: it features Elias Koteas, our beloved Casey Jones. How appropriate.

I'm not a huge fan of Reeves' past work but I know many are. I'll let you know if I have strong feelings about this one.

EDIT: finished watching. Sort of dragged for me. Good flick. I can recommend it based on quality but I did find it a little boring. The effects were also pretty bad, but there are some genuinely creepy moments, high tension scenes, and a few cool visuals.
What did you think of his work on the Planet of the Apea sequels?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:03 PM   #1508
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
What did you think of his work on the Planet of the Apea sequels?
I started the first of his and lost interest before finishing it. This was a while back, so I may try again.
What did you think?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:27 PM   #1509
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite
 
LeotheLateBloomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,117
I really enjoyed them for what they were though War was a little weaker than Dawn to me in terms of plot. But I think they capture both emotion and story down, especially for Ceasar. I legit sometimes imagine a TMNT movie with that much emotion to it. Reeves directed Dawn and War but someone else directed the 2011 film Rise.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:53 PM   #1510
Turo602
The King of Kings
 
Turo602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 2,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
You are attempting to make me look like I have a bias, but no, I just think it's ridiculous to walk in and say "looks like a fan film" to Greig Fraser cinematography. It's literally the furthest you can get away from the term fan film.

I never said you called it cheap. That's all you. I said you claimed it looked like a fan film. Which you did. Although I think the difference between the two in this context rings pretty hollow. Saying it resembles a fan film obviously implies it looks cheap, don't kid yourself.

"Which I explained and can go further in depth with". Uhh noooo, you didn't. You just said it looked like a TV show and since they said they are going for realism, that is, like, confirmation in your mind it sounds like. Doesn't make sense.
Please go in more depth on why this looks like a fan film. Please don't take the easy way out of saying "well I could explain myself but it's not worth it!". Total cop out.

Not liking the casting is fine, but I dont buy at all that that makes it resemble a fan film. Sure, a fan film with A-list actors.
That's why dropping by with the term "fan film" and then when asked to explain you say you are referring to the A-list cast and award winning cinematography comes off as weird.
Maybe you just want to find a new way to articulate your critiques cause I don't think the term fan film has anything to do with them.
Do you read your own posts? It's literally right f*cking there and now you're making the same claim regardless because you know what I meant better than I do apparently. I already clarified on some reasons why and none of those was "it looks cheap." You claim not to be bias but you're literally defending the film from your own projections. It's not a cop out, it's just a waste of time.

You're also using the term A-List very loosely. I said none of the actors looked like they were embodying the characters. But you want to point out the obvious and basically say "well they're celebrities." You do know I'm fully aware that this is a Warner Bros. production? It just simply doesn't look like a Hollywood film to me and the lack of charisma on screen, including those very underwhelming Batman scenes, just further gives off that "unofficial" vibe.

It doesn't help that they're going with a Year 2 story and "realistic" approach either, because those just become excuses to magically explain away criticism, which is expected from a lower budget project like a TV show or fan film. You understand it can't be like the movies, so you accept those restrictions because they gotta work within their limits.

This honestly looks like it could be a TV show. I bet you can splice shots from Gotham in between those scenes and nobody would notice. There's also something artificial about the environments and visuals. They look overly produced. For example, those images of Robert Pattinson that hit the internet before the trailer, look like they were rendered in a CG trailer for a video game. It's a very strange look.
__________________
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:03 AM   #1511
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
Bottom line is you called this thing a fan-film, in troll-like behavior. Then you had to come and actually back that up and started using weird ass comparisons to the casting and cinematography to justify you're reasoning. It's super flimsy because no one associates stunt casting and top notch cinematography with a fan film.
Now you're being questioned and the retaliation is to act like I fiendishly need everyone to suck this movie off.
Nah, I have like two pages worth of critiques to read, if you can see past your own bias for two seconds.
Bye

I wonder if that trend of retaliating by acting like someone is completely biased will ever die off on the internet. I think you see that most when people themselves have their own bias they are fighting for.
For instance, one thing you learn in psychology, that I found interesting, is you'll notice that people who most often accuse you of lying, likely lie a lot themselves. Because their mind goes to that place when stuck in a precarious situation, they assume yours will to, and be quick to accuse you of fibbing. I've found a lot of truth in that. Cheaters are always scared of being cheated on.
People are quick to accuse you of the things they would do themselves. It's human nature.

Last edited by AquaParade; 08-24-2020 at 06:33 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:35 AM   #1512
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,392
Eh, I could kind of forgive someone saying "this looks like a fan film." At least at this juncture. Apparently they've only shot 25% of this and this is the best they can do. That said... the points I've already said here, are. No, I'm not saying this is amateur hour... but Catwoman with a ski mask? It was bad enough the sh** had to flip to make it look like a cat thing in TDKR.

The trailer sort of opens with the duct tape thing... and the duct tape thing kind of becomes the trailer. For me. And not in a good way. This seems straight up like "let's ground Batman even more than the Nolan movies!" which sounds horrible to me. As I've always said, I want to see a giant Killer Croc munching on people, or big Bane on venom... not this. The Affleck Batman seemed like they would go in that direction, if only not the murderous stuff.

Now we're back even further from where we started. Like, years ago. Getting prepped for a dumb Riddler movie. Just my $0.02.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:06 AM   #1513
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
I thought the Catwoman ski mask looked pretty cool until someone brightened the image for me. It looks super goofy. They are trying to toe that line between something practical and something that resembles the comics, but they fell into looneytoon land. Best just choose one lane or the other in her case? I felt the same with Anne Hathaway's headpiece - the middleground was awkward.

Personally, given the tone they are going for, I would have maybe given her a ski-mask that actually fits, keep it dark, and maybe it has some sort of cat-themed print on it, whether that's a leopard pattern or a subtle cartoon whiskers and ears print. Something this woman bought/stole from the dollar store. She might be wearing it with some irony. What's her personality like? Can we justify that with her character? And then maybe you let her hair hang out the bottom, to give some flair. Or maybe you just lean full on into the Cat mask.
Just spitballin' here, because I don't think they landed in a great spot with it.
Sometimes, you really do need to just give the silliest looking things a chance to shine within the context of a film though. It could be the case here. It should be noted that this is obviously a "work in progress" version the character. It's not necessarily meant to represent the character as we know her, fully formed, today. I know that it will still drive some people nuts, but I find it interesting to watch the evolution.

I'm liking the grounded angle. Other people are saying it reminds them of Seven or a David Fincher movie, and I can see that. To me, it promises the idea of a small scale story. I want something that is personal and relies on character and drama, with no excuse to close out the third act with a giant cgi action scene.

But hey, I understand wanting the more fantasy-inspired elements, 100%. I mean, Reeve's is already a master of motion capture by now, so who better to give us Clayface or Manbat?
At least you'll get to see 2-4 hours of Zack Snyder's Batman fight off parademons and the apocalypse. Really feels to me like we are getting the best of both worlds with Batman.

And yeah, I just cant with the fan-film thing. It's Greig Fraser and the shots in the trailer are cinematic gold. Looks professional as possible, which is the opposite of what fan-film implies. To each their own though.

Last edited by AquaParade; 08-24-2020 at 08:52 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #1514
IMJ
Emperor
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,843
The trailer is given my higher hopes and I'm looking forward to the detective aspect of this story.

But I am also waiting for the memes to arrive showing Christian Bale's Batman saying "Cuz I'm not wearin' hockey pads!" and then the next image is Patman wearing his outfit.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #1515
Turo602
The King of Kings
 
Turo602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 2,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Bottom line is you called this thing a fan-film, in troll-like behavior. Then you had to come and actually back that up and started using weird ass comparisons to the casting and cinematography to justify you're reasoning. It's super flimsy because no one associates stunt casting and top notch cinematography with a fan film.
Now you're being questioned and the retaliation is to act like I fiendishly need everyone to suck this movie off.
Nah, I have like two pages worth of critiques to read, if you can see past your own bias for two seconds.
Bye

I wonder if that trend of retaliating by acting like someone is completely biased will ever die off on the internet. I think you see that most when people themselves have their own bias they are fighting for.
For instance, one thing you learn in psychology, that I found interesting, is you'll notice that people who most often accuse you of lying, likely lie a lot themselves. Because their mind goes to that place when stuck in a precarious situation, they assume yours will to, and be quick to accuse you of fibbing. I've found a lot of truth in that. Cheaters are always scared of being cheated on.
People are quick to accuse you of the things they would do themselves. It's human nature.
Well, you're a pathological liar and you clearly got issues. Again, the fact that you want so hard to believe what I said was "trolling" even after two elaborations, proves how f*cking insecure you are. I'll gladly own what I said because I f*ckin' meant it, and most of all, it was a gut judgment after watching the trailer that I said I couldn't quite explain, but you want to keep holding onto certain words like if I'm obligated to justify them to you, you f*cking nobody.

I merely questioned how ironic it is that you claim not to be bias yet are making sh*t up to defend the film from. But now you're a f*cking doctor, holy sh*t. I'd accept this nonsense if all I had to say was you're bias, but this is just f*cking sad. But if my opinions really mean that much to you and this helps you cope, be my guest.

But I already said this was a waste of time and that I don't have time for your stupid ass games. I really don't care much whether you want to believe your own bullsh*t or not, but sort your sh*t out you f*cking psycho.
__________________

Last edited by Turo602; 08-24-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:56 AM   #1516
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
What a reaction. Makes you come across like a lunatic.

Anyone think this actually has a chance of being rated "R" in America?

If I had to bet $5, I'd say...no. At the same time, WB seems to be on a bit of a high, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are just letting it come down to Matt Reeve's vision. I'd love for it to be "R" if it means we can dive deeper into the dirt and grit of Gotham, similar to Joker. Or something like "Seven" or "Zodiac". I've got two thoughts about Riddler right now:

1. He sort of resembles a make-shift "Talon" from the Court of Owls, with the way his mask is shaped and the goggle-eyes.

2. Also reminds me of the Zodiac Killer with his outfit and his letters.

Last edited by AquaParade; 08-24-2020 at 12:01 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:13 PM   #1517
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
The Catwoman ski-mask was absolutely atrocious. But if it's her origin, too, and we get to see her later on adopt a a better costume, I'll put up with it...

As opposed to Anne Hathaway's costume, where--while I love Anne and her take--it wasn't going to be followed up ever. Trilogy's end and we all knew it.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:15 PM   #1518
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
For anyone who missed it, here is Colin Farrel as The Penguin: https://comicbook.com/movies/news/th...uin-confirmed/
They went to great lengths to make him resemble the character. Interesting.

Yeah, Anna herself was fantastic in the role, imo.

Last edited by AquaParade; 08-24-2020 at 12:40 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:04 PM   #1519
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
For anyone who missed it, here is Colin Farrel as The Penguin: https://comicbook.com/movies/news/th...uin-confirmed/
They went to great lengths to make him resemble the character. Interesting.

Yeah, Anna herself was fantastic in the role, imo.
I did see that, and I was relieved to see Farrell look like the damn Penguin. I take back all my criticism, and am super hyped to see Reeves casting a great damn actor but ALSO taking care to make him look like the character.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:26 PM   #1520
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,789
I doubt that's Catwoman's final costume, it's probably just from her first appearance going out. She'll probably don something more traditional after.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
batman, diversity comics, the cucked crusader


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.