The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 11:00 PM   #141
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
who are we to say, "Yo Pete, this ain't right!"
Uh, you did three pages ago. And you posted some pretty extreme and insulting pictures two pages ago.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:50 AM   #142
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Uh, you did three pages ago. And you posted some pretty extreme and insulting pictures two pages ago.
My fun little satire? If you read between the lines, I'm kind of mocking the sort of militant anti-Laird train of thought about the re-edits of Volume 1.

Hey, if it were up to me, if I had the rights to TMNT, I wouldn't be screwing with the tones. Far from it. But I'm not, and I give Laird his due.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:46 AM   #143
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
I personally can't wait till Mirage releases their new line of coloring books. I always wanted coloring books in the Mirage style.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:50 AM   #144
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:46 AM   #145
Sparvid
Stone Warrior
 
Sparvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Östersund, Sweden
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
At the end of the day, it's Peter's book. His intellectual property. He can do whatever he wants with it, and who are we to say, "Yo Pete, this ain't right!"
I'm more like, "Hey, Pete! See this money that I was planning on spending on the upcoming reprints, even though I own the old TPBs? Well, I have no interest of the un-toned versions, so I'm going to go ahead and spend it on something else."

Hmmm, I wonder if they'll re-release BTAS DVDs with the painted backgrounds replaced with solid blacks someday..?
Sparvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #146
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post
I'm more like, "Hey, Pete! See this money that I was planning on spending on the upcoming reprints, even though I own the old TPBs? Well, I have no interest of the un-toned versions, so I'm going to go ahead and spend it on something else."
Like he cares. Laird seems to get off on screaming "I LOSE MONEY ON THE BOOK, IT'S A GIFT FOR THE FANS!11!" I actually get the feeling the guy likes losing money, considering how frequently he plays that card.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #147
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,113
It does make it really frustrating to be a fan. If you don't like the content of the comic books, he tells you "Don't like it? Don't buy it." And if you then don't buy the books and the books loose money, he still doesn't care. It makes it impossible to have even a whisper of a voice as a fan. It's not (incredibly) reasonable to expect him to do as we ask when we write a letter, but we should still have a voice when it comes to sales and the lack of sales should make a difference.

When Fast Forward was announced last year I made the decision to not buy a single FF toy. Now, it is apparently poor toy sales that have had influence in FF's likely lack of a future. It kinda makes me happy for my own little personal boycott decision.

But with the comics? Whether you're talking with a pen, a keyboard, your voice, or your wallet... you're just talking to a brick wall.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #148
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
Banned
 
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Seventh Layer of Hell
Posts: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Like he cares. Laird seems to get off on screaming "I LOSE MONEY ON THE BOOK, IT'S A GIFT FOR THE FANS!11!" I actually get the feeling the guy likes losing money, considering how frequently he plays that card.
Look, the dude is basically doing this book for the hell of it. He knows this thing isn't pulling in anywhere near the sales Spider-Man and X-Men are, but he's just doing it for anyone who wants to read it. He's not making anything on the books, he can basically anytime he feels like it.

He's under no pressure to get this book out every month, he's just doing it for anyone intrested. So instead of bitching, why no try shuting up and enjoying it.
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #149
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
Criticism =/= Bitching

And furthermore, I have no qualms when it comes to pointing out the man's hypocrisy, whether you like it or not. Every issue he tells people not to buy his book then turns around and moans that it's not making any money. It may hurt your feelings when someone points out that the only one to blame for Vol. 4's financial woes is Laird-himself, but all your "bitching" about my "bitching" isn't going to change facts.

So yeah, get over it. You may worship the man but that doesn't make him infallable.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #150
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael View Post
So instead of bitching, why no try shuting up and enjoying it.
Enjoying what? He's not actually producing anything right now and he doesn't seem to have any plans to start anytime soon. If Peter isn't going to continue Vol. 4, he should hire someone who can produce a monthy or bi-monthly book. I think it's stupid that we don't get a continuing storyline because Peter doesn't currently have the time/inspiration to work on it.

When Vol. 4 started there was not yet a new TV series, let alone a movie, and so Peter had plenty of time to spend working on a comic book. At this point in time, the comic sort of was like a gift to the fans. There was absolutely nothing else happening with TMNT at the time, so this was all we had.

Times change and situations change. Now the wheels on the franchise are slowly churning again and of course there's going to be a ton of stuff that takes up his time to the point where he can't work on a comic book. But can you even say it's realistic for a co-creator of what is now a world-wide property to continue working on the related comic book? Does Spider-Man require Stan Lee's fulltime attention to get published every month? Hell no.

Now there is a TV series, a movie, and there is demand for TMNT comic books. The books would sell and make money if they came out on a regular schedule and if they told stories that stayed true to the characters and stories that were told in the early issues of Vol. 1 that launched the whole darned thing in the first place.

I'm with DrSpengler that I can't create excuses for Peter just because he's co-creator. It's earnest critisism and it's something everyone has to deal with in life. Heck, most people I know would prefer earnest critisism for something before it got beyond the point of no return, which I fear has probably already happened for Vol. 4.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:07 AM   #151
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
Banned
 
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Seventh Layer of Hell
Posts: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I'm with DrSpengler that I can't create excuses for Peter just because he's co-creator. It's earnest critisism and it's something everyone has to deal with in life. Heck, most people I know would prefer earnest critisism for something before it got beyond the point of no return, which I fear has probably already happened for Vol. 4.
There's earnest criticism, and then there's just being petty.
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:42 AM   #152
The Shelf
Mad Scientist
 
The Shelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Does Spider-Man require Stan Lee's fulltime attention to get published every month? Hell no.
Perhaps not, but Spider-man would be a heckuva lot better if he was. Don't get me wrong, Spider-man is still fun and entertaining, but the quality of the stories and especially the character development have certainly gone downhill since Stan left. I guess that's open to debate and personal opinion, though.

In any case, one of the coolest things about Volume 4 is that it has been written completely by one of the turtles founders. You may argue that it's not good for the franchise, but it certainly is unique in the comics industry, and I would prefer to keep it that way as long as possible. I'm not happy having to wait for Peter to get around to Volume 4 again either, but I'm happy with what he's written so far, so what gives me the right to complain? Criticism is great and all, but when you do it week after week after week, it gets old and turns into complaining rather than criticism.

I'm not knocking on anyone in particular, but if the things Peter is doing are actually making you angry or frustrated, then I think it would be wise to find a new hobby. I don't mean abandon the turtles altogether, but find something else to take your mind off them.
The Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:05 AM   #153
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,113
I keep finding myself linking to the posts where I gave the comparison between the original #1 and the new version. It's a pain in the butt to keep looking for the posts, so I threw everything onto a webpage, which you can see here.

(This is not an effort to reopen the debate, so please don't.)
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:54 AM   #154
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,426
To be fair, if Bob Kane were still alive, and he booted out all of the people currently working on the Batman comics, I'm not certain the mass majority of today's Batman fans would approve of the kind of material we might get (Batman shooting criminals dead with his handgun and laughing about it, the Bat Hound and Bat-Mite and all that stuff).

It's all relative.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.