The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > Announcement Forums > The Technodrome News

Notices

Old 12-09-2003, 07:32 PM   #1
Nturtle
Ninja Master

Bad News

Dreamwave has cancelled the TMNT comic book series. Issue #7 will be the last one to ship for an indefinite amount of time. The withdrawl was said to be mainly due to a lack of profit from the series. There is possibility however that the series will return in the summer, but LeSean has said he will most likely not be involved.

More details.

Ironically, the Official Site put up previews for Dreamwave issues #1-6 and Dreamwave has reprinted #1-4.

[Thanks to cqb101 for the info.]
Old 12-09-2003, 07:35 PM   #2
cqb101
Cinephile

I still can't get over this......Just when I was starting to like DW for the first time in awhile, it all goes down the drain. Burn in hell, DW. The worst comic company ever.

Note: This isn't just because of TMNT, they've pretty much canned almost every series they get that isn't TF related.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:14 PM   #3
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Dreamwave seems kinda screwy to me. Why make a TPB if the sales were so bad? So they can loose more money on TMNT? What happens if the TPB sells out a week after it ships?

I pry won't be picking up any other Dreamwave comics, 'cause from what I've heard this is pretty common for them to do.
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 08:14 PM   #4
PizzaPower
Foot Elite

you are so right dude!!! DW Sucks!!! Does anybody know a e-mail and a address where I can send them hate mail? Those **** TF. What do they think they are.
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:23 PM   #5
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

*shrug* it's not that they suck, because they DO have some pretty cool comics... while they run them that is.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:45 PM   #6
malignant
Hench Mutant

This is the reason i never let myself pick up the comic, and never let myself get attached to liking it.....

why?..Because this was jsut destined to happen. No knock on the TMNT....but they just cant sell good in the comic industry. Not since the old series died. They wouldnt of sold if Marvel owned the title either. DW still sucks...dont get me wrong....but it's not really their fault. Comic industry is in the worst shape its ever been in...and something like TMNT just didnt have a chance.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:46 AM   #7
Keroscene
Foot Soldier

Umm...Dreamwave made a pretty comic and put it out there for people to buy. If no one buys it, they don't keep making it. That's how the comic industry works. If you need to blame someone, blame a stupid system whereby you have to go into one of the last comic shops on Earth to buy something that would sell much better on newstands.
Keroscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:32 AM   #8
Karpo_007
Inactive Moderator

Actually someone posted the sale number in the other thread about this, and it seemed to be selling quite well. Unfortunately not well enough for DW executives.
Karpo_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:52 AM   #9
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

(reposted from another thread...)

That's rather upsetting, actually. The first four issues weren't much better than average, but the last couple (5 and 6) were actually quite good. PAD had some creative control and was able to get a strong feel for his own little TMNT world, and I rather enjoyed it.

At the same time, though, I realize how DreamWave's been floundering as a publisher lately. Mega Man, another franchise title they publish, was recently canceled after #4, in a similar manner. More stories were on the way, the the DreamWave execs decided to 'suspend' them 'for the time being'. (Although, Mega Man suffered from some terribly mediocre writing.)

Either way, having more and more of your few titles canceled is never a good thing for a publisher, whether it be due to low sales (though I thought TMNT was doing well?) or lack of organization. I rather like DreamWave, and I hope they get their stuff in order, because things at the moment aren't looking too hot.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 01:06 PM   #10
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpo_007
Actually someone posted the sale number in the other thread about this, and it seemed to be selling quite well. Unfortunately not well enough for DW executives.
Yeah, it was selling in the 18-20,000's. Not too shabby for a comic book from a lesser known publisher I'd say.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:20 PM   #11
cqb101
Cinephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwgtrunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpo_007
Yeah, it was selling in the 18-20,000's. Not too shabby for a comic book from a lesser known publisher I'd say.
And it was selling extremely well compared to Mirage.

#1 (06/03) 32,273 copies (multiple covers)
#2 (07/03) 22,371
#3 (08/03) 21,319
#4 (09/03) 19,567
#5 (10/03) 19,071

And Mirages' TMNT:

#10 (06/03) 7,073 (at a $3.95 cp)
#11 (08/03) 6,694 (at the regular $2.95 cp)
#12 (10/03) 7,232
Old 12-10-2003, 04:06 PM   #12
Karpo_007
Inactive Moderator

Yeah, Mirage is no best seller, it's mainly the core TMNT fans that buy the book. But because Mirage owns the property, they don't have the license fees to worry about, and I'd imagine the sells do cover the printing costs, and salary for the people who work with it and other misc. costs. It's no big secret that Laird does the books for the fans, but to company like DW is in it for the money. And it seems that wasn't enough. It is a pity really.
Karpo_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 05:50 PM   #13
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

18-20000 is very good for a small brand. Dreamwave is wayyyy to demanding. They should've been happy with what they had. Glad I didn't subscribe. Better go collect 1,2 & 4 before the supply runs out.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:56 PM   #14
PizzaPower
Foot Elite

wiat a min. Do you mean that they cwe could have subscribe to the TMNT comic? Damn it I wish I had known that.
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 02:38 AM   #15
Michaelangelo|DAH
Mad Scientist

hmmm, They should have started with publishing all brand new stories like Peter David Wanted. Wasn't there something about, that he wasn't allowed to start out with a brand new story??? well, what do i Know.

Do you think these comics 1-7 are going to be worth big money in the future???

Man the least they could do was to publish issue # 8 T4:The Turtlenator, i was so looking forward to that one.

Well that's all for now...
Old 12-14-2003, 10:52 AM   #16
Splinter
Radical Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelangelo|DAH
Man the least they could do was to publish issue # 8 T4:The Turtlenator, i was so looking forward to that one.
No, that would have been the worst thing they ever did. Since the Turtlenator story was supposed to be a multi-issue arc. Starting the story and then cancelling the book would have really pissed folks off.

R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics - May 1984 / June 2003
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - New Episode Guide
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 11:04 AM   #17
Michaelangelo|DAH
Mad Scientist

ohhh ok, then there's is something i have misunderstood, Well it just looks Awesome