The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #61
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Disney has moved up the film's release date to December 19. Now the film will be opening prior to Aquaman, Bumblebee, Alita: Battle Angel, Welcome to Marwen and Holmes & Watson. It's very possible that one or two of those other films will now move to Christmas week.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/indiana...se-1202423959/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #62
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Disney has released a new photo. It definitely reminds me of "Step in Time".

https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/10/mar...y-blunt-photo/
Old 08-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #63
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I really wish Alita came out in July like it was originally going to or at least a august release.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:18 PM   #64
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Here is another new photo.

https://insidethemagic.net/2018/09/m...anuel-miranda/
Old 09-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #65
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

A new trailer has been released. They really seem to be capturing the spirit of the original film, which is timeless.

Last edited by ranger_scout; 01-10-2019 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Replacing video
Old 10-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #66
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

The first official reveal of the film was shown at the NATO Conference and it's gotten RAVE reviews.

Quote:
“Director Rob Marshall has created a masterpiece in updating one of the most beloved stories of all time,” said one very high up executive of a large theatre chain. “It is an uplifting story and visually lush film, with happy songs, joyous choreography and some just dazzling animated scenes. In Mary Poppins Returns, once again Disney has made a family movie for the ages.”

Another exec raved: “It is [in all caps] MY FAVORITE MOVIE OF THE YEAR. I grew up with Mary Poppins and love everything about the original, and the sequel absolutely met my high expectations. Loved!”

Another major name in exhibition said: “Mary Poppins Returns brings back all the wonder and magic of the original film while adding new layers in both music, songs and stunning visuals. The film is sure to be a holiday favorite, so hats off to Rob Marshall.”
https://deadline.com/2018/10/disneys...ng-1202482082/
Old 10-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #67
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

A brand new teaser has debuted.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:20 PM   #68
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Here's a recap of everything you need to know about the film.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...sequel-1154531
Old 11-10-2018, 10:57 AM   #69
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

The film is on the cover of Entertainment Weekly

Plus, here are 7 new images.

https://ew.com/movies/mary-poppins-r...-new-bowl-game
Old 11-15-2018, 08:30 PM   #70
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Here is a new sneak peek.

Plus, a charming featurette.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #71
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Of course it's impossible to top a masterpiece like the original, but I thought this film was pretty darn good. It really made me feel like a kid again and my mom felt the exact same way when she saw it with me. The film is lively and the animated scenes that combined with the live-action ones were top notch. Emily Blunt had gigantic shoes to fill, but I thought she was marvelous. Lin-Manuel Miranda was absolutely perfect in his part. The special appearances from Dick Van Dyke and Angela Lansbury were simply wonderful. Meryl Streep also played an interesting character. The songs are nice but not amazing. I did think that the choreography was superb. Overall, this is huge treat to watch on the big screen.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #72
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Here is a brief clip of the song "A Cover is not the Book". I'm hoping to see the film again in the coming weeks.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #73
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I wish I could have wept during the bowl scene.

It was definitely the best part of the movie, especially given how much technology has changed. The actors could truly interact with the animated characters, who had more capability for dimensional range than in the original.

And then there was the bit when one of the kids swapped hats with the dog guy.

And the way the "live action" sets were blended with the animated, whereas the original had the actors on live action props that couldn't be blended at the time.

I could keep gushing, but I'd get less and less coherent. The best I could do for now is "ART PRETTY."
Old 01-04-2019, 07:00 PM   #74
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I saw it and I liked it! Probably the best sequel I've ever seen to a movie 60+ years old!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #75
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Rob Marshall already has plans for another film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Marshall
It is early stages but I will say right now that there were eight books, so there's a lot of great material still to mine. That's what we worked from, those incredible eight books of P.L. Travers. So, you know.

If there's a great character and story to tell, why not?
Mary Poppins Returns Director May Be Considering Another Sequel
Old 01-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #76
drgon78
Mad Scientist

This movie was very disappointing, so many songs yet none of them were memorable at all.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #77
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Today, the movie just reached a milestone for live-action musical films at the box-office.

Quote:
Shoutout to Disney’s Mary Poppins Returns which becomes the fifth highest live-action musical at the domestic box office with $150.7M to date, beating the lifetime stateside totals of Les Miserables ($148.8M), Mamma Mia! ($144.2M) and will soon pass La La Land ($151.1M). Worldwide, she’s at $287.9M and counting. Through 26 days in releases at the domestic B.O., Poppins is still pacing ahead of Fox’s The Greatest Showman by 58%. There have been various prolific star-studded screenings of the film in this final weekend of phase 1 Oscar nom voting with Sophia Loren here in LA and Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively in NYC. There is also a Mary Poppins Experience complete with sets and a screening occurring today on the Disney lot in Burbank.
https://deadline.com/2019/01/kevin-h...ce-1202533526/
Old 02-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #78
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Disney Film Chief Alan Horn says that as of right now there are no plans for a sequel.

Quote:
Will there be a sequel to Mary Poppins Returns?

We have nothing in the works.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...sseter-1187054

This film might not have reached blockbuster status, but I think $342 million worldwide is a respectable total. Also, here in North America, it surpassed the box office total of Rob Marshall's critically acclaimed movie, Chicago.

In other news, the film will be released on Digital and Movies Anywhere starting on March 12 and on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD March 19. Some of the extras for the home video release have also been announced.

Quote:

“The Anthropomorphic Zoo” - A deleted song, Mary Poppins and the children visit a very special zoo where the humans and animals trade places.

The Practically Perfect Making of Mary Poppins Returns - Join filmmakers and cast on an amazing journey to embrace the legacy of the original film while making a fresh modern sequel.

(Underneath the) Lovely London Sky - Discover how the team mined PL Travers’ books for a fresh perspective on a much-loved character.

Can You Imagine That? - Takes you on location for Mary’s iconic entrance from the sky, and explore the movie’s original songs, inspired by the Sherman Brothers.

The Musical Numbers of Mary Poppins Returns - Go behind the scenes and experience the film’s production numbers from a new angle.

“Trip a Little Light Fantastic” - Led by Lin-Manuel Miranda, the cast performs the film’s biggest production number, with dancing lamplighters, bicyclists and more!

“The Royal Doulton Music Hall” / “A Cover is Not the Book” - Find out what it takes to create two musical extravaganzas inside an animated world, highlighted by dancing animated penguins!

Turning Turtle - Mary’s eccentric cousin, Topsy Turvy, played by Meryl Streep, has an unusual house that turns this musical number upside-down.

Back to Cherry Tree Lane - Dick Van Dyke, who played Bert and Mr. Dawes Sr. in the first film, returns after 54 years to Cherry Tree Lane as Mr. Dawes Jr.

Practically Perfect Bloopers - There’s nowhere to go but up with the cast and crew in this lighthearted collection of flubs, goofs and prop fails!
Mary Poppins Returns Set for March Home Video Release
Old 04-19-2019, 09:24 PM   #79
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Everything Wrong with Mary Poppins Returns:

Old 05-29-2019, 07:29 PM   #80
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

The Nostalgia Critic reviewed the film.