The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Toys and Collectibles

Notices

Old 09-20-2020, 08:07 PM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

The Motherf*cking BATCAVE came today!

This gigantic f*cking box showed up outside. I could easily sit in it and ride it down the stairs like a toboggan if I were still as foolish as I was when I was five. The actual playset box is pretty huge on its own!
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I'm a huge fan of "Collect The All" on the back. I'm gonna pretend that was an ironic choice, to better bring it into style with other MOTU-knock-off lines like Galaxy Warriors which also had similar odd phrasings on their packages from time to time.

My box had a ding taken out of the side, a small tear but nothing major. That's probably why I paid $40 and not $50. But this thing is a bargain at either price and you should totally get one now!

Inside, there's a thin slip of cardboard on either side that slips between the playset and the side of the box, a thin cardboard base down at the bottom to keep it in place, and a "crown" on top to keep the box from crushing. All the accessories are in plastic bags tucked in between the "grid" on top but I'd already taken those out when I took the pictures.
Spoiler:

It looks awesome out of the box. It's a bit heavier than one might expect and seems to be made of more solid plastic than the Grayskulls and Snake Moutnains of yore. Just like them, it folds open and shut on a hinge and uses thin clasps to hold it shut.

On its own it cuts quite an impressive and imposing figure, even shut.
Spoiler:

I love the front of it. The sculpt is great, the paint job is awesome, I really dig the glowing eye look. The "icy" blue flames really give it a unique look. Dig the heavy barred door with the bat on the front. Even the door is much thicker than you'd expect. It doesn't clasp shut but it holds in place nicely on the hinge.

All the accessories come in plastic bags. Inside, the set is pretty barren but it really pops when everything is in place. As you can see, all the pieces fit easily inside of the playset so you can close it back up and keep everything safe. Really well-done. This entire thing pops together and breaks down in seconds and you can easily keep it stored in the original box with no problem at all.
Spoiler:

I do wish that Funko had dipped in for a couple of stickers on the floor. Without all the accessories set up, the inside looks rather plain, but all of that changes in a hurry. The accessories are very sturdy and should be easy to keep track of. I recommend keeping the bags that they come in. You get:

- A bag of three weapons and a shield, which clip to the walls but can also be used by any of the figures
- A flag that clips onto the wall
- A training dummy with a removable bat helmet that fits almost all figures in the line
- An orb held in a base shaped like a bunch of bats
- A large throne with a really awesome "bat skull and wings" motif
- A giant, heavy beast-bone ladder made out of the spine and ribs of some large creature. A very nice touch!

No elaborate action features to speak of, sadly; no trapdoors or swinging snake's heads; the front door and the door to the dungeon both swing nicely but don't lock in place. The good news is, the lack of action features means there are WAY less moving parts to potentially break, and as a display piece that improves this set considerably. It should be incredibly easy to keep this thing in pristine condition; there aren't many pieces to lose and most of them are hard to break.

"Assembly" takes seconds; the weapons pop into place on the walls in specific spots based on the width of the handle clips, the flag pops into place with two pegs, and everything else is free-standing and in theory can be placed anywhere. Very simple. You can "assemble" the entire thing and be ready to go in 30 seconds, and it all packs up just as easily. The throne is pretty solid and much heavier than you'd think - MUCH more solid than the classic Grayskull throne - but the "ladder" made of skeleton really takes the cake. It weighs about a pound and feels like you could brain someone with it quite easily if you wanted to! There's a spot cut out of the upper floor to make it easy to place in the preferred spot, but like the rest of the accessories you can more or less put them anywhere you want. There are obvious "recommended" spots where things fit better but nothing is locked in. It's simple but it works really, really great. An action feature would be nice, but for $40-50 and considering how 99% of people would be using this simply as a display piece, I think it's everything it needs to be.

I obviously took some pics of it all put together and "in action", so that'll be next.

(Cont.)

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:32 PM   #22
Leo656
The Franchise

So from the outside, very little changes when it's all opened up and together. But it does look GREAT with your 5.5-inch figures!
Spoiler:

I love how there's a little lookout perch way up top. It's easy to miss from far away but it's a great feature. I wish the back half had a little something like that. That side of the set is awesome inside but on the outside there's little to do but look out the porthole window. A little ledge or a bridge would have been nice.

The sculpting, detail and paint on this is awesome. I really love all the little details, I just wish there were even more of them.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

As you can see, they really suit these figures perfectly but you could easily put any of your 5.5-inch Fantasy guys in there.

On the inside is where things really pop when it's all together:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

So again, the weapons all clip right onto the wall very easily in size-appropriate holders, and pop right off to be used by any figures in the line. The flag kinda comes off the wall pretty easily, but if you wanted to a little bit of super glue in the holes would keep it on there permanently. The training dummy's helmet pops off and fits most of the characters pretty easily. You can fit around 8 to 10 figures inside, including two in the dungeon if you manage it right. So again, it falls right in line with all the playsets we had as kids! Just a little bit more sturdy.

One detail I really like, is the brick-stone pattern in the floor on the upper level. Grayskull and Snake Mountain all had those smooth plastic floors, and this one does as well on the bottom floor, but on the upper level you get this nicely-molded stone floor that goes a long way to really put it over. I wish that they'd either done the same thing on the bottom floor OR thrown some stickers on there to break up all the smooth gray.

So again, as you can see, it look GREAT in action whether it's for DC Primal Age, He-Man, Funko Thundercats or any other 5.5-scale figures. Literally all I can say "negative" is that it's a little bit barren and could've used some stickers to break that up and add some detail. Like a Grayskull-style sticker of hands and snakes coming up from the floor of the dungeon would be ideal, just for example. But anyone who'd really pitch a fit over that can find custom stickers anywhere online to dress it up if they're inclined.

That's another thing I really love; this thing looks GREAT as it is, but the potential for customizing is HUGE whether it be adding stickers or a new paint job or anything. I could see some really committed types putting a few holes in it and building a bridge to go along the outer back wall. It's a "Batcave", sure, but it could just as easily be Hordak's lair if you wanted and you wouldn't need to change a thing! But if you wanted to change anything, it'd be super easy.

Altogether, I give this a 9 out of 10 and an easy A without hesitation. It could have a little bit more detail, but for what you get it's a bargain for the price and it's VERY well-made. I advise anyone interested to get one NOW while they're still around $50; like all the other Fantasy playsets, it's only going to go up in price and anyone trying to find a decent Grayskull for under $350 knows what I mean about getting something while it's affordable. One day, I plan to have this set up in between a vintage Grayskull and a vintage Snake Mountain, and it is going to look AMAZING.

Seriously, even if you don't collect Primal Age, if you have any affection for Fantasy-style figures you NEED this thing in your collection.

PROS:
- Sturdy build with great sculpting details
- Mostly-Assembled right out of the box
- Comes together in seconds and breaks down just as quickly
- Folds up for storage with all parts held inside
- Fits multiple 5.5-6" scale Fantasy figures from numerous different lines
- Looks perfect alongside other vintage Fantasy playsets
- Lots of customization options

CONS:
- Lacks detail in spots
- No action feature or moving parts inside

FINAL GRADE: A, 9 out of 10
---------------

What a great gift to myself for my Birthday. I can't stress enough what a must-buy this thing is. I don't have any room to keep it out, but I can't imagine living without it. Get 'em while they're cheap!

Old 09-20-2020, 10:58 PM   #23
garsh
Foot Soldier

I'm jealous. If I had the extra money I would definitely grab one. Like you mentioned, I would use it as a lair for The Horde.

Congratulations! You really seem pumped about it.
garsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm all over it! For space purposes I had to put it back in the box for now but it'll keep well.

Hopefully you'll manage to dig up a spare $50 while it stays in that range. It's been out for over a year and the price hasn't fluctuated much, so they're still really easy to get for now. Good luck! Every 5.5 collector needs one'a these! Lots of companies have shamelessly ripped off MOTU over the years but I can't remember anyone ever pulling it off so well.

Some more figures came in the mail today. I only need two more, I think, to complete the "DC Primal Age" line.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I needed to get one more figure to qualify for free shipping on this order, so I figured I may as well get started on the "Savage World" Street Fighter line since I didn't have any yet. Chun-Li was the cheapest, so she's the one I got!
Spoiler:

Amazon sent me the pink variant, which I wasn't expecting, but it's fine! I was gonna get around to picking that one up eventually, anyway. So I'm off to a great start with that series!

Most of the Funko 5.5's are still around $9-15 everywhere online, so if you're at all interested in these there's no better time to jump in! Most of the sets are only about 5 figures deep, so you can pick up entire sets for less than $60! I'm only missing a few!

Old 09-24-2020, 11:03 PM   #25
Leo656
The Franchise

The last two DC Primal Age figures I needed came in the mail today: Black Manta and Flash!
Spoiler:

Once I get Krypto, I'll have the entire series! In the meantime I can start getting those last few Savage World Thundercats and Street Fighter figures I need. It's all coming together!

Old 09-24-2020, 11:45 PM   #26
garsh
Foot Soldier

What about MotU Origins? Are you into those at all? I'm pretty much as all-in as I can be. By that I mean there are certain characters that I consider essential, like Teela and Zodac, while there are others I've never felt the need to connect with, like Roboto. So far I've barely got a start with just He-Man and Skeletor as my only proper figures, though my very first purchase was Battle Cat.

I'm tempted to get some of the Savage World stuff myself, especially Lion-O, Cheetara, and maybe Panthro, but the Slythe just doesn't doesn't measure up for me. I love the vintage motu scale and form factor, but the articulation on Origins is what makes them irresistable for my taste. Only the color scheme has been a drawback.

On the other hand, the WWE figures have the kind of colors I like, so the pop and swap feature is opening up a lot of potential.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:49 AM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

It's quite funny, at the same time you posted that my wife and I were planning ahead for Christmas since Wave 2 of Origins will be out by then.

I really like the Origins line a lot. As I mentioned elsewhere, for one thing it's VERY exciting to be collecting He-Man toys again, especially getting in at the very start of a new retail line. For another thing, I just like everything about the execution. Sure, they're not MOTU Classics, which I also love, but as much as I love those figures I also love that I can buy MOTU figures for less than $100 each, finally. These are like if someone re-did the vintage figures with articulation that's reminiscent of Classics. They look great on the shelf right next to the vintage toys, but you can pose them like the newer stuff. I really dig that.

At first some of the color choices and face sculpts confused me just a little; they didn't bother me necessarily but I wasn't sure what they were going for, but then I read some of the very first mini-comics that came with the vintage figures and I recognized what they're going for. They're basically taking little bits and pieces of the vintage figures' look and mixing it with stuff from the mini-comics and Filmation cartoon to create a "Best Of Everything" kind of approach. I gotta say, I really like it and it gives the line its own unique style. It fits in so well with the original toys but the colors and articulation really makes it stand out.

So far I have He-Man, Skeletor, Battle Cat, the Sky Sled with Prince Adam, and my wife just got me Evil-Lyn and Teela. So I just need to get Beast Man and Man-At-Arms to complete Wave 1, which I might do next week. I looked at the updated release list on he-man.org to see what's planned through Spring, and I'm really blown away (albeit overwhelmed) by all that's set to come out. Grayskull is a must-buy, for sure, but I love that Panthor and Land Shark and stuff like that is also coming out so soon. I really wasn't expecting them to go in so hard right out of the gate! Again, it's a little bit overwhelming but in just a few months they'll have put out more figures than Super7 did in their 5.5-inch line, plus vehicles and playsets. That's awesome!

Another cool thing to me is how they're not strictly going by the release order of the original line, but mixing it all up in between Wave 1, Wave 6, and a little of in-between. Scare Glow is in Wave 2! That's awesome. Personally, I'm gonna try and get every damn thing I can. I've never managed to complete a MOTU line despite my best intentions and I'd really love to manage it this time. I think they're putting out a really great mix of characters in each Wave. I think that's smart; aside from Randor, Sorceress and Scare Glow, Wave 6 of the original line was mostly losers, and they're only the most expensive now because they were short-packed in the first place and also nobody cared enough to buy them so fewer exist in the wild. By mixing up the lineup for each Wave they can ensure that every Wave is very well-balanced and you don't ever get hit with a set that's mostly duds. It would really be something if, like Classics, this line managed to exceed the roster of the vintage series. With over 70 figures produced in the 80s line, that's a tall order, but they'll have over 20 out already by Spring, so we'll see!

The parts being so easy to swap are something I hadn't noticed until someone pointed it out, but man does that open up some great custom options, what with everything to come in the MOTU Origins and Masters of the WWE Universe lines. These might be the easiest figures of all time to swap parts on, and that's just great. I haven't popped any apart yet, but I can totally see the potential and it's exciting to think about.

I'm a HUGE fan of MOTU in all its forms, so everything about this line excites me, big time. I can't say no to more He-Man stuff. It's kind of a pain, since I'm concurrently buying these, filling in holes in my Vintage collection, trying to finish off the Super7 Filmation 5.5s, and once in a while buying one or two Classics... but on the other hand, it's hard to complain about being so thoroughly spoiled rotten. I never got over the "dark years" of absolutely no MOTU stuff in the 90s, so having "too much" MOTU product available is a curse I'll gladly suffer.
-----------------

I really like the Savage World stuff. It's so funny, because I only bought the Sub-Zero for my wife as a funny gift a few years back and thought it was silly but neat that Funko was making toys in the vintage MOTU style, but I wasn't really planning to collect them. But seeing them on the shelf with my vintage stuff looked so neat, and then Super7 started THEIR line of actual MOTU 5.5s, and that got it all started again and now I've got almost everything. Sure, they're very simple compared to something like Origins, but they do fit in great with a 5.5 collection and at the price you can't really beat it. As a kid I always wanted Thundercats that were reasonably in scale with my MOTU toys, so I really can't complain. But with Horror and DC and Street Fighter toys in the mix as well? Oh boy. I really didn't expect to care so much, but I do.

My angle is, even if you're 50/50 on them, they're about $10 each and there's not that many per series. So at least it's not a huge investment either way, whether you get whole sets or only a few guys here and there. The SF ones are the newest and even they're about $10 each. I kinda don't care much about some of the Thundercats villains myself, but for $10 each I may as well just complete the set since they're the only ones I'm really missing, y'know? I do have Sslithe, though, he's actually pretty cool. I was hoping they'd do a third set but I guess they got all the main guys in the first two sets. No Pumyra.

They're still almost shockingly cheap, but they're eventually gonna go up, so I say that if you're even in the stage of considering, you might as well just grab 'em while they're around. That's how I finished off the "Primal Age" set; they were all $10 so I just said "F*ck it" and filled all the holes in at once. Very satisfying. Simple style or not, it feels VERY good to get more than two or even ONE figure for $50-60 goddamn dollars anymore.

EDIT: In doing a quick search, the Thundercats ones have shot up recently, with a few hovering around $25-30, but that only kind of furthers my point about how they're only gonna get more expensive over time. I was gonna hold off on Monkian and Jackalman for a bit longer, but I may have to jump on them soon.

Obviously, I love modern-style toys and they're objectively "better" than vintage. But being of a certain age, I can't help but get excited every time I get a 5.5 figure of any kind. Every single time, it's magical, no matter which character it is.

Last edited by Leo656; 09-25-2020 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:32 PM   #28
garsh
Foot Soldier

For a while I was pretty much on the same page as you about the color schemes; not necessarily bothered. Once I got my figures in hand, though, it started nagging at me, and I considered painting them. Like I was getting at, though, the WWE guys have much more natural skin tones and such, so having those to fall back on for easy custom solutions has been nudging me toward learning to appreciate the new color scheme for its own merits and just keep them as is, enjoying them for what they are. Like you said, ultimately it does them their own unique style instead of just slavishly re-treading what's already been done. I'm still pretty adamant on touching up Battle Cat, though.

So far He-Man and Skeletor are the only two characters to show up at my one and only local Walmart. Teela is the one I've been most anxious to get all along. What do you think of those knees? They seem to be a little divisive. I wasn't bothered, but I've seen some modification done by He-Bro on youtube that might be preferable. I have a Dremel of my own, so it's tempting to try it myself.

I agree that it's really surprising how quick and comprehensive they're fleshing out the releases. Honestly I'm a little worried by it. They're putting out so many toys in advance of the new shows or movie, it has me concerned they won't see the sales numbers they're aiming for in time to keep things moving. I really want it all to succeed! I've been craving decent barbarian figures for quite a while, and I've deeply missed the MotU property, so I want it to carry on for a good long while, and deliver lots of my favorite characters, vehicles and playsets! I want to see The Horde again -- not least of all the Fright Zone and Slime Pit!

It's easy to keep forgetting there's also the Masterverse series coming up. If I understand right, those are also supposed to be affordable and available at retail. I doubt I'll dive deep into that, but at the very least I'm hopeful for bits and pieces that would expand custom options. Have you seen the leaked Moss Man yet? It suggests Masterverse will offer a fairly substantial re-imagining of assets. I'm eager to see what that might mean for yet another Grayskull!
Old 09-25-2020, 10:00 PM   #29
Leo656
The Franchise

Eh, the knee joints on the females are rather prominent but I'm not very bothered by them. It's always something, and you'll never please anyone anyway. I personally am not a big fan of "ab crunch" joints, for example; they rarely seem to contribute much and they're very often prominent to the point of ugliness, like the new AEW figures where guys look like they were sawed in half and spliced back together. Point being, when it comes to articulation, it's all very subjective and there's no way to please everyone.

They're definitely doing a lot very fast, but sadly, I have a nagging feeling that the Kevin Smith MOTU project isn't going to be what anyone hopes for. I *like* Kevin, and I do like much of his work - the early stuff, like any sane person does, before he went nuts and completely lost the plot about 15 years ago - but I've seen his Batman. I've seen how he tackles the "Iconic And Beloved Characters From Yesteryear." And that has me more frightened than enthusiastic. I suspect that Mattel knows more than we do and may be suffering a bit of "buyer's remorse" on the project, or at the very least they expect it to be HIGHLY divisive. Therefore, what I suspect is happening, is that Mattel is pumping out a ton of MOTU stuff NOW, just in case Smith's project sh*ts the bed and renders the entire property radioactive for another ten years. Which let's be honest, has a really good chance of happening.

As for the live action movie... I'll believe that's a real thing when I'm finally in the theater, I've been saying that since they announced it in goddamn 2001. Likewise, I'll also believe that it won't be complete garbage when I see that with my own eyes, as well. I can't tell you how afraid I am of that movie. A lot can go right, but even more can go wrong. And right now, Hollywood is firmly in "Let's Do Everything Wrong" mode. They missed the boat by not going full-blown Epic Fantasy and putting out the live-action movie in 2003 when the cartoon was out and Lord of the Rings was still hot. It's way more of a risk Now than it was Then, but back then it was dismissed (despite a really good script premise from Goyer) because it would have been Too Expensive. That doesn't give me any hope at all for what we might get NOW. Aside from wanting it to be made cheap, right now Hollywood is leaning hard on remakes that do little but remind you how stupid the original was and what an idiot you were for liking it. I really don't want that to happen to he-Man, but I have a bad feeling it might.

But anyways, if and when the live action movie comes out, IF it ever does, the toys that come with it will probably be completely different from the Origins line, so I doubt one will affect the other very much. Origins might be done by then, we don't know.

But yeah, I feel like Mattel is trying to give us as much as they can NOW in case those future projects don't pan out. Which honestly makes sense.

I haven't seen any of the Masterverse stuff. I honestly don't keep up on things as much as I should. I gotta do better at that.

As for the Origins figures and their availability, "techincally" they're available at the Walmart over here but ours sucks. I've seen pictures online of many Walmart stores getting great big end-of-aisle displays holding dozens of MOTU figures; we get a single hook that's always empty and gets restocked "whenever". I broke down and got He-Man and Skeletor online a few months ago when I just couldn't find the first wave anywhere after weeks of trying. They've since popped up a few times since then, but I've only encountered those two figures at Walmart. Everything else get snapped up immediately. I managed to get Battle Cat and the Sky Sled with Adam at the flea market over here because I'm friends with one of the vendors and they hold stuff for me when they can.

Likewise, they just got in Beast Man and Man-At-Arms, the two I still need, and are gonna try and hold them for me until I can get there, hopefully by Sunday. I've pretty much given up on ever finding any of these at Walmart and paying $15 each for them; that's just not how the world works, anymore. "At Walmart for $15" is code for "$30 on eBay" and everybody knows it.

Old 10-23-2020, 06:44 PM   #30
garsh
Foot Soldier

Hey guess what! A friend just texted to tell me about Primal Age Batcave on sale today only for 15!

I already placed my order, but I'm paranoid it won't really go through.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:28 AM   #31
Leo656
The Franchise

Holy sh*t. I'm half-tempted to get one just to repaint it.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:45 PM   #32
garsh
Foot Soldier

My Primal Batcave arrived today!

Unfortunately it has a few issues. Both the front gate and dungeon gate have visible tabs and sockets meant to clasp them shut, but neither one actually makes contact, so they're completely unable to function.

The bottom of my throne is warped, causing one foot to remain raised, so it doesn't sit flat.

The orb has scuffs and what looks like a glue a burn all on the inside. Even if it was flawless, though, I don't think it's a very good orb since it has such a highly visible seam, so I plan to look for some kind of solid glass, or hollow plastic sphere as close as possible to the same size and replace it. I'd be fine with one in some clear color, too.

Still it's an awesome set and I'm glad to have it. I love how robust the bars are on the front gate. The throne is the coolest ever; far superior to the old Grayskull throne.

I've got a couple ideas for minor, non-permanent upgrades I'd like to try to decorate it a little.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:33 AM   #33
Leo656
The Franchise

My front gate was a little loose at first but I got it to stay in eventually. I can't recall is those other flaws were present.

I did a video about it when I got mine, but the laptop we use to cut the footage together broke again so we're just sitting on it for now. I did mention the bad-assery of the throne and the sheer heft of the bone "ladder".

They definitely cheaped out in a few areas but did a great job in others, so it evens out I'd say. There's definitely tons of customizing potential, too. Especially on that rather sparse back wall.

Old 01-05-2021, 03:37 PM   #34
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by garsh View Post
Hey guess what! A friend just texted to tell me about Primal Age Batcave on sale today only for 15!

I already placed my order, but I'm paranoid it won't really go through.
I bought a second one to paint it red and black so the Evil Horde finally have a proper castle!
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:46 PM   #35
Leo656
The Franchise

That's awesome. Got any pics? I love that kinda sh*t.

Old 01-07-2021, 06:50 PM   #36
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
That's awesome. Got any pics? I love that kinda sh*t.
Not yet. Haven’t had time but I will when I do it.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:31 AM   #37
Leo656
The Franchise

Ahhhh, bummer. Definitely post 'em once you do!

I think all I'm missing now from this set is Krypto, I gotta check again. Krypto and the "ice variant" Mr. Freeze, I think.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:44 PM   #38
Leo656
The Franchise

Today's mail, and one I've been needing for a good while now... Krypto the Superdog from the Funko "DC Primal Age" line!

Other than the "Ice Variant" Mr. Freeze, I now have this entire line complete.

As a huge fan of retro-style, 5.5-scale figure lines, I gotta say that I'm really glad that Funko put so much work into their DC line. They did these figures for several franchises, obviously, but the fact that we got three beast mounts and even a Batcave playset really makes me happy.

I paid about $35, which is more than I'd have liked but less than it typically goes for, and I just barely missed this one when it was new and going for about $20 at retail. I had managed to pick up Ace the Bathound and the Joker Beast in stores but this one went fast and never turned up again. Since the line was discontinued, this guy generally goes for about $50, and it blown my mind that this thing usually costs almost as much as the entire Batcave. I've been holding off until the price came down and it finally did, so I jumped on it so I could complete the set.

Like the others, it's very true to the vintage MOTU line, with Ace and Krypto basically being the same figure molded in different-color plastic and having different accessories. At the end of the day, it's just a hunk of plastic with no articulation, but then so was the vintage Battle Cat. And it's a great-looking piece all the same.

Pretty much almost done with all the Savage World/Primal Age stuff, now. Just missing a couple of variants and a few of the Thundercats, and then I'll have everything Funko did in 5.5-scale. Pretty happy about that!

I'd love to get into collecting some of the other 5.5 lines like the old Remco Warlord stuff, Galaxy Warriors, etc., but prices being what they are I just don't think I can swing that anytime soon. Maybe one day.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

Got one step closer to completing the entire Funko "Savage World"/"Primal Age" line today, with the arrival of everybody's third (or fourth) favorite Thundercat... Tygra!

I admit I paid more than I'd wanted to for this guy (around $30), but I really need to finish up this line and the Thundercats ones all went up in price a ways back since they stopped production. I bought one a few months back for $15 but the seller flaked out and vanished, so I just bit the bullet and grabbed this guy for the cheapest price I could find.

I only need Jackalman and Monkian, now, to complete this specific series. And they're generally more in the $20 range, which is a little more reasonable. Obviously I regret not snapping these guys up when they were $10-15 at retail, but at least I managed to get Lion-O, Mumm-Ra, and most of the others before they went up in price.

Anyways, pretty standard for this series; good likeness, "vintage" pose and articulation so if you're not into these, this one won't win you over. Comes with his classic whip.

When I was a kid, ALL I wanted was He-Man and Thundercats figures in the same scale as each other, so this set is pretty much fulfilling a childhood dream for me. This leaves only four figures until I've 100% the entire Funko 5.5 series. Pretty exciting!

Last edited by Leo656; 02-18-2021 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:14 PM   #40
Leo656
The Franchise

In case anyone missed it in the other thread, here's my video review of the DC Primal Age Batcave!