The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 08-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Public Display of Affection

How do you feel about it? How much is too much? When does it get to a point where you feel like shouting "GET A ROOM, YOU TWO!" at them?

I don't care about it unless it's a grown couple making out in a way that looks like they're eating each other's face. That's a bit embarrassing to watch for some reason. Kissing is fine as is hugging but making out like that in public as if you're still in HS is a bit cringe

I've heard before that schools in some countries don't allow their students to display PDA, which I found odd. Back when I went to school couples definitely kissed and made out on the halls and during recess. If anything, adults would give them a stern talking if they lost track of time and were late for class. I remember in 9th grade this woman working at my school walking into a couple making out after the bell rang and telling them "Alright, the movie is over! Time to go to class!" which was like

In some countries, like Japan, PDA is discouraged and couples don't really kiss in public or show much affection.

Thoughts?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:12 AM   #2
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I don't mind it, people should be able to show affection without some old prude-prune make a stink about it.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:27 AM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I feel that it is indecent in general and kind of cheapens the value of affection in general so I admire the cultures of Japan and the likes which frown upon it as you said.

It was banned in my Middle School (till a point where the students involved would be called out specifically in the whole school assembly to be humiliated) but no one seemed to care in High School.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:32 AM   #4
newfan
Mad Scientist

Sure, so long as it's within reason (you know not literally standing right next to someone else or looking like you need to find a bed, in the middle of a kids play area) but people are aware A couple walking along happily stopping for a kiss, general light affection, sure. I wouldn't agree if for example there was a ban and no-one could even hold hands.

Edit: Edit due to the school aspect I suppose with schools and workplaces it just comes down to conduct, not really the same as being out on a date or strolling in the park.

Last edited by newfan; 08-21-2018 at 03:20 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:34 AM   #5
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
(till a point where the students involved would be called out specifically in the whole school assembly to be humiliated)
What the f*ck kind of school did you go to?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:16 AM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
What the f*ck kind of school did you go to?
FredWolfLeonardo was born in Pakistan, so that might have something to do with it.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:22 AM   #7
Wildcat
Foot Elite

A hug or kiss goodbye/hello and holding hands is perfectly fine with me.

The problem is when a couple over does things. You know they’re just doing it for attention. You can tell the difference between normal behavior and those who are going out of their way to make it apparent.

If you’re in a restaurant don’t sit side by side in a booth -_-
Old 08-21-2018, 04:14 AM   #8
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
FredWolfLeonardo was born in Pakistan, so that might have something to do with it.
It was actually a Middle School in New Zealand, but it was all kinds of messed up with fights, drugs and the lot. The strict attitude of many of the teachers was essentially just damage control to make up for all the other bad stuff going on.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #9
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

It depends on the display.
When did endangers the health and safety of the people around them, or it feels like maybe they should have had a consent form passed around for participation in there seen, then I think that's a bit too much.

But anything that doesn't really cross that line doesn't bother me. And if it does I look away.... Or maybe sometimes I don't, it depends on the mood I'm in.

I don't agree that Japan's social mores regarding public displays of affection should really be counted as the gold standard. There's a whole lot of baggage that comes along with that.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

If you'd be uncomfortable with your grandma watching, I think that's a good limit for the general public...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:30 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
It depends on the display.
When did endangers the health and safety of the people around them, or it feels like maybe they should have had a consent form passed around for participation in there seen, then I think that's a bit too much.

But anything that doesn't really cross that line doesn't bother me. And if it does I look away.... Or maybe sometimes I don't, it depends on the mood I'm in.

I don't agree that Japan's social mores regarding public displays of affection should really be counted as the gold standard. There's a whole lot of baggage that comes along with that.
Huh I wasn't using them as a gold standard for anything. I was just giving them as an example of a society where PDA is discouraged by society, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
If you'd be uncomfortable with your grandma watching, I think that's a good limit for the general public...

This reminds me of those times when I was a kid/teenager watching tv with my family and a make out scene or a sex scene in a movie would happen out of the blue. It made me feel very uncomfortable watching that stuff on tv in the presence of my family.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:31 PM   #12
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Depends on how freaky any given grandma is...
Old 08-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Unless it's like beyond basic kissing/making out, it doesn't bother me at all.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #14
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

hand holding? Fine.

A peck on the cheek? Fine.

A quick kiss on the lips? Whatever.

Anything more than that? Stop it.

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote