The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 09-20-2021, 02:32 PM   #2701
italianice388
Stone Warrior

my wave review and feedback for super7!

overall, fantastic wave. really excited that we're seeing a 5th sku per wave. makes so much sense. overall, the mocks for sculpts and paint apps on these renders looks super top notch. looks like they're raising the bar and knocking out some QC issues, but we'll see when we get some physical prototypes in front of us.

SLASH:
Strong sculpt. Great paint apps. Belt looks incredible, weapons look incredible, shell and skin texture look incredible. My only cons would be the teeth. Yes, technically accurate to the original toy and card art, but I'm not sure (based on some convos we've had in this thread earlier) that anyone remembers Slash with anything but sharp teeth. In fact, his teeth here look even more gnarly and messed up than the toy. I would have preferred to have at least the alt head to have sharp teeth ala Ray Fillet. The difference in size and shape between the eyes is also a bit exaggerated compared to the toy and archie versions. I'd like that yellow eye to be a bit less large and round, and that normal eye to be just a touch bigger. Let me know if you agree or disagree!

SCRATCH:
What a home run. I never had the original figure, but I'm very familiar with it. This rendition actually takes what was somewhat of a boring sculpt in the 90s and replaces it with a big upgrade. The sculpt is super detailed and the paint apps are on point. The accessories look fantastic. I hope the ball and chain uses a real chain. I have no cons for this figure, except (and this may be an unpopular opinion), but it appears to introduce an ab crunch. It just feels inconsistent with the rest of the line at this point, and honestly, the sculpts are so beautiful in this line that I'd prefer to actually have fewer articulation cuts altogether. Great figure though. Preordered.

SEWER SURFER MIKE:
I vowed not to get any turtle variants, but damn, this is making it tough. Unlike Sewer Samurai Leo, I feel the sculpted face of Mike is DEAD ON with the feel of the original Playmates line–it just feels so right! And what a fantastic decision to have the sunglasses be optional. His head looks SO cool without them! His eyes are the perfect shape, his nose is the perfect size, his teeth are perfectly rendered. Apparently getting all those right is extremely difficult, because few modern toy makers do it. This toy does. Paint is rad, accessories are awesome, sculpt is an 11 out of 10. I may have to break my rule to get this guy.

ACE DUCK:
Here's a figure that I had as a kid but always felt was a little sterile, a little clean, and a little too boring and out of place amongst the rest of the freakish TMNT toy weirdos. But this modern sculpt actually improves on the original so significantly that it does great justice to the original while also providing Ace Duck a decisive seat at the table with the other figures in the line. He FITS now. The secondary head with the scowl, the old-timey pilots cap, the cigar, the brilliantly sculpted teeth and the fantastically painted glints in his eyes–all of these new touches go a long way to make Ace feel more like a WW2 pilot and MUCH more like a cohesive member to the TMNT line. Can we talk about how awesome the tommy gun, plane wheel weapon rack, and goggles are?! Incredible. Didn't think I'd be getting this one before seeing him, but I am now.

MOUSERS:
I'm no army builder, but I think there's a decent amount of value here to warrant the purchase for those who are. I'd say four turtles would be better, and the sais being included feel a bit out of place (do a pack of accessories for the four turtles all together). That said, I think this opens up a lot of potential. This line needs to be 5 figures deep, and I know that frustrates people who are budgeting, but we'll never get through this line at 4 figures a wave every three months. We just won't. Still, I'm excited to see the possibility of a fifth figure in this slot, or further accessory packs. Once we get all four turtles, which will be soon, I'd love to get a pack of turtle heads and accessories. How cool would it be to have a pack that includes the following heads?
  • Storage shell turtles
  • Wacky action turtles
  • Talkin' turtles
  • Head droppin' turtles
  • Ninja power turtles
All those figures have the same bodies, roughly, as the originals, but the heads have wildly different character. Give me a pack with all of those 20 heads and I will happily drop 55 on it. Or, of course, fill that slot with another figure.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:24 PM   #2702
Chaotix12345
Stone Warrior

Been a casual observer of this line since it launched. Past releases have looked really nice (especially the Turtles with the alt heads), but I just couldn't pull the trigger. (Mostly due to both the price per figure and the fact that a lot of the Playmates toy designs were never my favorites, even in the case of some of my fave characters, like Leatherhead.) However, that all changed today with mah boi Slash. He looks MAGNIFICENT. Just seeing that Playmates figure given a modern reworking with more articulation, details, and accessories is a treat and that mock-up with Archie colors makes me love it even more. So yeah, pre-ordered him ASAP and definitely looking forward to having him join my NECA Slashes on my shelf. He's also probably going to be my only Super7 fig unless I'm majorly impressed by Tokka and/or Rahzar in the future.
Chaotix12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:41 PM   #2703
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
I'd say four turtles would be better, and the sais being included feel a bit out of place.
I'm hoping the sais are there to replace the absolutely atrocious sais that were originally packaged with Raph.

That said, I'm in for the mousers and Slash (though I wish his belt had been black - I didn't even know the purple-y pink variant existed until I was an adult)... and I haven't made up my mind on Ace. I'm going to do my best to pass on Mikey and Scratch - hopefully my OCD doesn't kick in.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:20 PM   #2704
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Are we all not gonna address the elephant in the room?
Where's the alternate red s belt?
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:54 AM   #2705
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

These designs all look great, though I'm a little peeved at the inclusion of Scratch. It's such a cheesy move for a couple of reasons.

1) Chronologically, it doesn't fit at all with the other figures they've released so far. It's not even close.

2) Let's be honest: by the time Scratch came out, TMNT were hemorrhaging fans and the toys were not nearly as popular as they had been a couple of years earlier. How many of the people who are now so excited to have Scratch actually cared about that figure back in 1993?

It just strikes me as a bit of a reach, something Super7 did to try to make a splash. I would rather have seen Rat King, Usagi, Traag, or some other 90/91 figure.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:16 AM   #2706
Otter
Stone Warrior

Just pre-ordered Scratch.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:00 AM   #2707
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
These designs all look great, though I'm a little peeved at the inclusion of Scratch. It's such a cheesy move for a couple of reasons.

1) Chronologically, it doesn't fit at all with the other figures they've released so far. It's not even close.

2) Let's be honest: by the time Scratch came out, TMNT were hemorrhaging fans and the toys were not nearly as popular as they had been a couple of years earlier. How many of the people who are now so excited to have Scratch actually cared about that figure back in 1993?

It just strikes me as a bit of a reach, something Super7 did to try to make a splash. I would rather have seen Rat King, Usagi, Traag, or some other 90/91 figure.
from a business standpoint, it's an excellent inclusion..can't tell you how many people I saw that already pre ordered this figure, mainly because they can finally have a scratch figure w/out paying out the butt for the OG one
Old 09-21-2021, 07:26 AM   #2708
Dask
Mad Scientist

Scratch is probably the most desirable of all the figures (even though I was most excited about Slash and Sewer Surfer Mike for very different reasons). I showed the reveal for Wave 6 to my sister, who doesn't collect TMNT, and she immediately gravitated towards Scratch, saying that he looks really cool.

Within the last two years, the Scratch underground market has exploded, with a number of artists customizing their own Scratch KOs. I would argue that a revival line such as this rests on the strengths of making inaccessible characters accessible, and bringing never produced characters (e.g. Mutanimals, Rasputin, Attila, Granitor etc.) into the hands of the people.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:12 AM   #2709
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:

Eh, Scratch deserves to be made considering his rarity and popularity just because of that. Plus, he is cool looking character.

Don't worry, you'll get Rat King and Traag. I wouldn't be surprised if those both show up in Wave 7
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:25 AM   #2710
j3h
Hench Mutant

As someone who wants IDW figures, I feel like Scratch is going to be the closest I get to an Old Hob figure anytime soon.
j3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #2711
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Once again a solid wave. My only complain is the two damaged mouser have the exact same damage and they will look weird once displayed.
I have never cared for Scratch as a toy but he was a boss in TMNT 3: Radical Rescue, my favorite Turtles videogame so I'm happy to see him in Ultimate form.
This reminds me I would love to see the Uncanny trio in the future.
https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/Uncanny_Trio
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:50 AM   #2712
Chris
Mad Scientist

Ordered Slash. Was tempted by the Mousers but ultimately decided to pass (we’ll see if that hold when the wave starts hitting )

As for Scratch, I’d say he’s a smart choice. He’s a figure NECA won’t do so it gives Super7 a unique character and he’s infamous amongst collectors due to his scarcity. It’s also a bit of a mission statement, showing how deep they’re going with the line. Combine Scratch with say Dreadmon or Ninjara in the next wave and that would be a great showing of where they want to go and what they can do.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:55 PM   #2713
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Combine Scratch with say Dreadmon or Ninjara in the next wave and that would be a great showing of where they want to go and what they can do.
How incredible would a S7 Armaggon be?
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:04 PM   #2714
teemu
Stone Warrior

I'd be all over Armaggon
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:14 PM   #2715
SleepDrifter
Thug

Quote:

I don’t think it was cheesy at all. I think it was a great decision and works on several levels.
1) It demonstrates their commitment to their word on the longevity and deep cut nature of this line.
2) As others have stated, it gives collectors a chance to own him. He wasn’t easy to find even when he was actually released… my parents got me Robotic Bebop & Rocksteady and Hot Spot one summer (93) at a Bradley’s but there was no Scratch. I had him on my Christmas list that year. Never saw him in the wild. I was always interested in him.
3) They knocked it out of the park with the sculpt. No shortcuts or BS- just look at that cake gun.

I’m not sure I understand your complaint about chronology here, either, as Mutagen Man came in Wave 2… before Rocksteady. Wave 5 has Ray Filet and we are still missing 4 figures from Series 2 (89). I think it’s a fair assumption at this point that Super7 aren’t playing by any sort of rules here; Scratch being absolutely fair game. Also as mentioned several times, Brian has indicated we are likely to see characters that were never made into Playmates figures before much sooner than later.
SleepDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:16 PM   #2716
SleepDrifter
Thug

Quote:
My dude!!! I’m dying for Armaggon to get made!!! Always on point.
SleepDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:13 PM   #2717
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Definitely! He’s on my list of new figures I really hope they do.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:26 PM   #2718
TCRI
Hench Mutant

I think I'm getting Sewer Surfin' Mike. Was my favourite figure as a kid.

I only have 1 S7 toy, the God Skeletor. Love it, but the joints are incredibly loose. Completely the opposite issue of NECA lol. Very solid figure though, reminds me a lot of vintage toys - nice dense plastic.

What are joints like generally? Is mine a one off?
TCRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:00 PM   #2719
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
my wave review and feedback for super7!

SLASH:
My only cons would be the teeth. Yes, technically accurate to the original toy and card art, but I'm not sure (based on some convos we've had in this thread earlier) that anyone remembers Slash with anything but sharp teeth. In fact, his teeth here look even more gnarly and messed up than the toy. I would have preferred to have at least the alt head to have sharp teeth ala Ray Fillet.
Hard agree. Also, Slash looks fatter than the original 1990 action figure.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:15 PM   #2720
frank_one
Mad Scientist

What if we actually get an Archie Slash color variant at some point?
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote