The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 04-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #1981
ZariusTwo
Overlord

This July, the next big Superman shake up is here

Jon takes over the Superman title, with Tom Taylor at the helm, Phillip Kennedy Johnson remains on Action Comics writing Clark's adventures

https://www.gamesradar.com/new-super...action-comics/

And Grant Morrison officially returns with Superman and The Authority

https://www.gamesradar.com/grant-mor...otity-team-up/
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:02 PM   #1983
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I don't want The New Batman Adventures continued, but Batman: The Animated Series continued. It does not ook like I will get that. However, furthering the Justice League in Unlimited in comic form? I prefer an animated season, but I will buy this.

So is this a digital only thing or a Digital First? No embargoes so Aquaman can be a part of the core and the Bat Rogues can face the Justice League?

Going by the brief description its Amazo, only I thought he reformed with Dr. Fate helping him find a purpose.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:16 AM   #1984
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
So is this a digital only thing or a Digital First?
It's digital first, coming in May, and will eventually be published and sold in the market.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:59 AM   #1985
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

As soon as it hits the previews I will sign up for it.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:18 AM   #1986
Leo656
The Franchise

I've never liked the animated universe JLA roster. Stewart is a scab Green Lantern and Hawkgirl is even less relevant than he is. Hal, Kyle or even Guy should have been GL. If you needed a "token extra female" on the team, you've already got Zatanna, Black Canary, Fire, Ice (or even better, Fire AND Ice), or even Maxima to choose from.

I know they were put on the team for "reasons" - dumb ones - but one of the numerous thing that annoyed me about that universe is that an entire generation thinks that those two are "real" JLA members when they'd be lucky to qualify as back-up members. And that since the cartoons are so "mainstream" the whole thing gets perpetuated.

Stewart is one thing, even though he was altogether pretty useless and had even been more or less "retired" as a character before that cartoon came out. But Hawkgirl just plain sucks.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:57 AM   #1987
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Like with the Justice League film, having Hal Jordan as a part of the lineup makes it automatically stronger and more iconic. However, John Stewart and Hawkgirl are there primarily to diversify the Justice League beyond Wonder Woman and white guys. In fact I hate Hawkgirl's portrayal in this cartoon. Glad she was a traitor on two worlds and I thought the romance with John Stewart was not believable for the characters(Hawkman and Katma Tui are their respective romantic partners). However, overlooking that grievance I greatly enjoyed the first two episodic seasons of the 7 founding members and the Cademus arc. No series will be perfect for individual preferences and I accept that. It looks like Amazo will discover the multiverse and Darkseid's flunkies will attack to the Justice League's enhanced roster to prove their worth.

Just give me Aquaman and Bat Rogues before the 7 issues are over.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:01 AM   #1988
Leo656
The Franchise

Who the actual f*ck in this entire universe cares about non-Mamoa Aquaman? C'mon. "Founding member" or no, without Mamoa's real-life charisma that character is a bad joke.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:39 AM   #1989
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
However, John Stewart and Hawkgirl are there primarily to diversify the Justice League beyond Wonder Woman and white guys. In fact I hate Hawkgirl's portrayal in this cartoon. Glad she was a traitor on two worlds and I thought the romance with John Stewart was not believable for the characters(Hawkman and Katma Tui are their respective romantic partners).
John and Shayria's relationship falling apart is actually why I tend to think Batman Beyond isn't canon anymore, because their child Warhawk is part of the JL roster in that timeline. Also, Bruce retained his memories of that future so he probably would have had enough sense to correct things about himself.

DC eventually published a story which revealed John and Shay did get back together, but it was a little mean-spirited and involved fridging Vixen. It's the same universe that gave us 'Bruce knocked up Babs before she moved back in with Dick' so it's easy to discount it.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #1990
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
John and Shayria's relationship falling apart is actually why I tend to think Batman Beyond isn't canon anymore, because their child Warhawk is part of the JL roster in that timeline. Also, Bruce retained his memories of that future so he probably would have had enough sense to correct things about himself.

DC eventually published a story which revealed John and Shay did get back together, but it was a little mean-spirited and involved fridging Vixen. It's the same universe that gave us 'Bruce knocked up Babs before she moved back in with Dick' so it's easy to discount it.
Warhawk is Caucasian not mixed in race let alone species(humanoid or not) which lends to the idea that maybe Carter is Warhawk's father. John refused to be 'destiny's puppet' as he put it and stayed with Vixen. The episode Ancient History towards the series end brought up a lot. It appears Shayiera's fiancee/commander sacrificed himself to stop the race that was provoking Thangarians. Upon his sacrifice he was reincarnated as Carter Hall. It suggest that Shay and Carter are meant to be a couple, but she is always meant to leave him for the more compatible John. So perhaps she gets together with Carter while they later separate and John is Warhawk's stepfather. That could explain also why he does not show any connections to the Green Lantern Corps.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #1991
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
It suggest that Shay and Carter are meant to be a couple, but she is always meant to leave him for the more compatible John..
Robert Vindetti took a big steaming dump on that notion with how he ended the recent volume of Hawkman.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:20 AM   #1992
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Robert Vindetti took a big steaming dump on that notion with how he ended the recent volume of Hawkman.
So what exactly happened in regards to John/Shayiera in the comics? I am well aware of the Batman Beyond love triangle that makes no sense, but not about this one.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:20 PM   #1993
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
So what exactly happened in regards to John/Shayiera in the comics?.
My recollections are a little vague, but basically the Shadow Thief killed Vixen and a grief stricken John teamed with Shayiera to take him down. Along the way, Carter is killed so Shay can't move back to him, and ultimately they both reconnect with one another emotionally and conceive Warhawk, making him their love child

Like I said, this explanation is canon to a more mature version of the DCAU and isn't necessarily related to the original.

In the actual DC mainline timeline, John and Shay have never been all that close, Shay was a Thangarian queen, but when Carter was infected by The Batman Who Laughs, she gave it all up to come to his rescue and try to cure him. They both end up dying and being reincarnated in the 1940s where they live and fight alongside the Justice Society. They defeat one of the demon gods of their own people and lose the power to reincarnate, and they choose to spend the rest of their lives together, straight into old age, but they live a long time, well into the distant future. That's the last we've seen of them so far.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:54 PM   #1994
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
My recollections are a little vague, but basically the Shadow Thief killed Vixen and a grief stricken John teamed with Shayiera to take him down. Along the way, Carter is killed so Shay can't move back to him, and ultimately they both reconnect with one another emotionally and conceive Warhawk, making him their love child

Like I said, this explanation is canon to a more mature version of the DCAU and isn't necessarily related to the original.

In the actual DC mainline timeline, John and Shay have never been all that close, Shay was a Thangarian queen, but when Carter was infected by The Batman Who Laughs, she gave it all up to come to his rescue and try to cure him. They both end up dying and being reincarnated in the 1940s where they live and fight alongside the Justice Society. They defeat one of the demon gods of their own people and lose the power to reincarnate, and they choose to spend the rest of their lives together, straight into old age, but they live a long time, well into the distant future. That's the last we've seen of them so far.
I cannot begin to state how much I hate the Batman Beyond poop dropping on my favorite DC characters of all-time. No matter the incarnation it makes absolutely no sense at all, but to infuriate fans. It's like a niche fan fiction getting printed on page for sale like FurryTown that is now dominating IDW. However, I never took Batman Beyond's storyline to be taken as serious cannon. Not to mention it seems to be already overwritten in the current ongoing. I never could get into the Batman Beyond cartoon because the three of them are not costumed heroes. Ah,well the whole fridging VIxen bit sounds like the whole idea of, 'hey, this was hinted at in a cartoon I watched as a kid, wouldn't it be cool if I did it in the comics?" so he found a corner to crap in and did it and no one paid attention to it.

Still I hope the seven issue mini-series is good. It has James Tucker overseeing the project and Bruce Timm not involved so I have faith in it. I hope it will be like a natural continuation.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:00 PM   #1995
CyberCubed
Overlord

Batman Beyond is the best canon future for Bruce Wayne. It confirms:

- Bruce is still alive well into his 80's and beyond, so he never gets killed or dies when he's younger.

- Barbara Gordon becomes the new Gotham Police Commissioner following the footsteps of her father.

- Dick Grayson is still around although he wasn't focused on in the show

- Tim Drake lives well into his 50's

Since Damian Wayne didn't exist yet in 1999 when the cartoon came out, there is no Damian in this continuity and it's for the best for the animated universe.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #1996
Leo656
The Franchise

I never gave a sh*t about Batman Beyond. The only Batman I care about is Bruce or Dick. I don't care about Terry Whatsisnuts. People have tried to sell me on it but for the life of me I just cannot bring myself to care.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:05 PM   #1997
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I never gave a sh*t about Batman Beyond. The only Batman I care about is Bruce or Dick. I don't care about Terry Whatsisnuts. People have tried to sell me on it but for the life of me I just cannot bring myself to care.
Exactly, brother!
Old 04-22-2021, 01:09 PM   #1998
AquaParade
Banned

To me, what sold Batman Beyond was simply the quality of the cartoon itself. The music, animation, and voice acting just came together to make a dynamic, fun, sort of edgy show.
I don’t necessarily need to see it replicated anywhere else. Though, conceptually, it was pretty cool to see Bruce on his last legs, resorting to threatening a thug, by way of gun.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:13 PM   #1999
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Exactly, brother!
I don't see why, it's a great show and Terry is a great character. I rewatched the series 20+ times.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #2000
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
In current canon was she ever The Question? I mean Bullock doesn't have the qualifications either. Why not let Chief O'Hara take charge if we are looking at other media influences? Does Nakano have a friendship with Montoya or did it seem random? I don't like the idea of the mayor appointing who heads the police department. It should be a vote of city council and hired specifically for it not a random promotion by a single political office.
Have they ever brought in canon immigrants from the 60s show? The only one I know of is King Tut. Elemental wise, I only know of changing Zero's name to Freeze and semi-Barbara Gordon.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman