Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-18-2021, 11:24 PM   #1
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

June 2021 Solicitations

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #118

Spoiler:

Sophie Campbell (w) • Nelson Daniel (a & c) • Kevin Eastman (c) • Karl Johnsson (c)

The Shredder returns! Oroku Saki has been to Hell and back, but will he now come to the Turtles as friend or foe? Meanwhile, April makes a stand against Baxter Stockman– with dangerous consequences.

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Annual 2021

Spoiler:

Tom Waltz. (w) • Casey Maloney (a & c)

For millennia, the Pantheon family have played a deadly chess game with humanity, willingly sacrificing innocent and guilty alike in their twisted pursuit of victory. But now, one member of the family sees the opportunity to end the eternal contest once and for all — a final, crushing triumph over his immortal siblings and all of human- and mutant-kind. The time has arrived for the Rat King to make his most chaotic and destructive moves yet. The time has come at last for… THE ARMAGEDDON GAME! Written by Tom Waltz and illustrated by Casey Maloney, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Annual 2021 is the official prelude to the major TMNT event years in the making.

FC • 48 pages • $6.99
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:03 AM   #2
ChosenOne
Banned

I thought I could only get so erect. I was dead wrong.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:19 AM   #3
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Never in my life have wanted something so badly until I receive it just now.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:21 AM   #4
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

The plot! It's back!

Though despite the hype, I am slightly concerned. The Pantheon is the story of IDW TMNT. When it's over, the comic is over, and there are still quite a few dangling threads left.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:02 AM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Pantheon story will probably never end till the series does.

Glad we'll finally see Shredder properly and the Baxter/April stuff honestly should have come to a head awhile ago. I think we still need a set of minis for the Utroms/Triceratons/Ch'rell and if Krang makes contact with them again, it's probably one of the more interesting plotlines going that has been left on the shelf for more than 2 years now, even before issue 100 and City at War.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:12 PM   #6
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlZarkovski View Post
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #118

Sophie Campbell (w) • Nelson Daniel (a & c) • Kevin Eastman (c) • Karl Johnsson (c)

The Shredder returns! Oroku Saki has been to Hell and back, but will he now come to the Turtles as friend or foe? Meanwhile, April makes a stand against Baxter Stockman– with dangerous consequences.

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Annual 2021

Tom Waltz. (w) • Casey Maloney (a & c)

For millennia, the Pantheon family have played a deadly chess game with humanity, willingly sacrificing innocent and guilty alike in their twisted pursuit of victory. But now, one member of the family sees the opportunity to end the eternal contest once and for all — a final, crushing triumph over his immortal siblings and all of human- and mutant-kind. The time has arrived for the Rat King to make his most chaotic and destructive moves yet. The time has come at last for… THE ARMAGEDDON GAME! Written by Tom Waltz and illustrated by Casey Maloney, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Annual 2021 is the official prelude to the major TMNT event years in the making.

FC • 48 pages • $6.99
Good lord. This boring crap, still. Come ON already.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:51 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Are you trolling or do you still think this is about mutant town? #118 has the return of Shredder and the Annual is about the Pantheon. Sure they'll still be *in* mutant town, but I don't see what it is you find boring about these summaries since they're new stories?
Old 03-19-2021, 02:33 PM   #8
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Are you trolling or do you still think this is about mutant town? #118 has the return of Shredder and the Annual is about the Pantheon. Sure they'll still be *in* mutant town, but I don't see what it is you find boring about these summaries since they're new stories?
Yeah, it's a new arc as of this issue and the annual is entirely separate.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:42 PM   #9
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
The Pantheon story will probably never end till the series does.

Glad we'll finally see Shredder properly and the Baxter/April stuff honestly should have come to a head awhile ago. I think we still need a set of minis for the Utroms/Triceratons/Ch'rell and if Krang makes contact with them again, it's probably one of the more interesting plotlines going that has been left on the shelf for more than 2 years now, even before issue 100 and City at War.
I think the problem is that there can only be so many "final moves." We kind of already had one with the Dragon, which quite literally amounted to nothing after all this time, and now we have another that the Rat King is planning. Either it is the start of the final Pantheon storyline, in which case the comic ends and a bunch of plot threads are left, or it ends and the comic keeps going, awkwardly cleaning up what's leftover in way that feels anticlimactic since the big finish already happened. Alternatively, it could be a bunch of climactic stuff that gets resolved, but then the villain slinks away and promises to get everyone next time Dr. Claw style, which then begs the question of why this never seems to go anywhere and why they aren't beaten yet. I just think that based on that synopsis they might be playing their ace too quickly in either case.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:08 PM   #10
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
some people just can't be happy. i wonder if leo and saki are going to have a tea ceremony moment. are we going to see april reenacting one of her first mirage scenes running from mousers? i wonder how many of the patheon are going to be showing up in mutant town, much less how many are going to be noticed and not mistaken for mutants?

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:17 PM   #11
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
some people just can't be happy. i wonder if leo and saki are going to have a tea ceremony moment. are we going to see april reenacting one of her first mirage scenes running from mousers? i wonder how many of the patheon are going to be showing up in mutant town, much less how many are going to be noticed and not mistaken for mutants?
Hmm, I'd say that Jagwar, Toad Baron and Manmoth would be the only ones who could easily be mistaken for mutants, but I doubt any of them would ever want or need to go to Mutant Town.
I think it's possible we'll see some Rat King vs. Kitsune action though, now that Kitsune has presumably found some peace with Saki.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:24 PM   #12
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
Hmm, I'd say that Jagwar, Toad Baron and Manmoth would be the only ones who could easily be mistaken for mutants, but I doubt any of them would ever want or need to go to Mutant Town.
I think it's possible we'll see some Rat King vs. Kitsune action though, now that Kitsune has presumably found some peace with Saki.
just thought of something. maybe just maybe kitsune apologizes to both karai and alopex for all her crap. i almost see the line being spoken "you are like the daughter i've never had but always wanted."

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:49 PM   #13
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Might be worth picking up and reading immediately!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:30 PM   #14
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

I’m interested to see this, but a little anxious. When have we ever had a non villainous Saki? Aside from that one episode where he was brainwashed and thought he was Michelangelo? This is new territory, I just hope it gets handled well.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:25 AM   #15
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Not a fan of the Pantheon. Boring. They've done it. It was boring then. And I don't really give 2 sh!ts what Shredder has been doing or will be doing. Let's see more Triceratons, Turtles in space, Jennika skewered on the Empires antenna. Less gab, more action. 2 years of boring stories going nowhere and now we're going back to stuff we've done before. "Prelude to the major event years in the making" is the equivalent of lens flare.

Or maybe Raph knocks up an alien female & she pops out 7 eggs and suddenly there are some alien/mutant lil Raph's running around. That would be fun, new and entertaining.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:56 PM   #16
TomWaltz
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Not a fan of the Pantheon. Boring. They've done it. It was boring then. And I don't really give 2 sh!ts what Shredder has been doing or will be doing. Let's see more Triceratons, Turtles in space, Jennika skewered on the Empires antenna. Less gab, more action. 2 years of boring stories going nowhere and now we're going back to stuff we've done before. "Prelude to the major event years in the making" is the equivalent of lens flare.

Or maybe Raph knocks up an alien female & she pops out 7 eggs and suddenly there are some alien/mutant lil Raph's running around. That would be fun, new and entertaining.
It's definitely going to be boring. You shouldn't buy it.

Talk soon...

Tom W.
TomWaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:18 PM   #17
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWaltz View Post
It's definitely going to be boring. You shouldn't buy it.

Talk soon...

Tom W.
Looking forward to it. And please give us more Jagwar. I wanna know what she's all about. I know she's a gender swapped version of the Archie Comics version.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:56 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

LOL.

Anyhow I'm interested to see how the "new" Shredder interacts with the Turtles.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:18 AM   #19
Wentos
Foot Soldier

I was never a huge fan of the Pantheon stuff to be honest. We're supposed to think these guys are playing this cosmic 4D chess and the reality is they don't really do much of anything. And if they did, the comic wouldn't be any fun to read because they're a higher level of being so the turtles can't really fight them. So basically they pop up once in a while to remind you that they exist and to indirectly stir the pot. I just don't see what the endgame is and why I should care.

On the flip side, I'm interested in seeing what Sophie does with Shredder. I always hate when the book resurrects characters and cheapens its own deaths, but what's done is done and I'm curious to see what good guy Shredder is like.

- Release the Nick show on blu-ray
- Release the 4kids series in a complete series or season sets

Only then will we be satisfied.
Wentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:51 AM   #20
superstaff
Mad Scientist

I have to agree with everyone else who says this is boring or the wrong approach to the next arc.

I've been waiting to see what happens after Mutant Town, and I just... I feel like I don't care about the IDW Comics as much anymore. I felt like Mutant Town was an interesting concept that got bogged down with a glacial pace, and events that didn't really excite me much either (mostly due to the way they were written even if they were interesting concepts).

I'm also tired of Jennika and the overt focus on her. People always gasp and act shocked because I'm a female fan, and they're like, "But Jennika's a girl turtle! She was created FOR YOU!" I never needed a fifth turtle, male or female, especially one that detracts from the team's dynamic, doesn't really fit in very well (she just keeps feeling like a Mary Sue-ish version of Raphael, to me, thus redundant), and also gets way too much focus in comparison to the actual lead characters.

Also, as Wentos wrote:

Quote:
We're supposed to think these guys are playing this cosmic 4D chess and the reality is they don't really do much of anything. And if they did, the comic wouldn't be any fun to read because they're a higher level of being so the turtles can't really fight them. So basically they pop up once in a while to remind you that they exist and to indirectly stir the pot. I just don't see what the endgame is and why I should care.
And one more thing, I guess. I'm extremely iffy about 'Good Guy Shredder'. That's some sticky territory to go into. I have my doubts it can be done well without it coming off as saccharine or poorly done.

I'll probably take Waltz's advice, and just not read or buy this...
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote