The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 08-30-2021, 03:39 PM   #2601
coreyrc87
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
I finally got around to opening my wave 3 figures over the weekend. I try not to be overly negative, but this wave is absolutely embarrassing for Super7. I cannot fathom why, three waves in, they haven't addressed the loose, wobbly joints. Rocksteady has the flimsiest legs, which would be unacceptable under normal circumstances, but his torso feels like a solid hunk of plastic that just can't be supported by the lightweight legs (on top of all of this, the right hip is extremely loose).

Metalhead is all over the place as, aesthetically, he looks pretty bad without the backpack on, but the backpack is so heavy and his legs are so wobbly, you have to tilt him pretty far forward to actually get him to stand upright. The "chrome" paint apps aren't as bad as photos would lead you to believe, but this figure is just really poorly put together. The general heaviness of the backpack versus the lightweight nature of the figure has me scratching my head as, similar to with Rocksteady, SOMEONE should have understood this was going to cause severe balance issues.

April has been complained about extensively, but I hate that what should have been the default head isn't scaled to the body, and mine has incredibly pink skin rather than the more 'translucent' looking skin apparent in a lot of the photos. Ironically, even though she has a fairly lazy sculpt, she's probably the best built of the four figures.

Overall, Mikey is the best, but he feels very gummy compared to Raph and Leo. I don't know how to describe it any other way than that he just "feels" like a cheap figure. On the plus side, his hips are much tighter than Raph's and Leo's, so he's far easier to pose.

I don't know. I really like most of the sculpts on these Super7 figures, but they HAVE to get much better QC in place. I know NECA gets a lot of crap, and justifiably so in many cases, but I've never had a NECA figure fall over simply from being poorly engineered. Hopefully they can work these flaws out by Wave 4, but that still leaves me needing to figure out ways to 'fix' like eight figures from across the first three waves.
I've thought this about the whole line so far. For the price, a great sculpt with abysmal QC and construction just doesn't cut it... I wish I didn't love the sculpts so much, I'd sell off my line and have more money for Necas (which, yes, I've had QC problems with them too, but overall far less annoying than those with S7).
Old 08-30-2021, 06:34 PM   #2602
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
I finally got around to opening my wave 3 figures over the weekend. I try not to be overly negative, but this wave is absolutely embarrassing for Super7. I cannot fathom why, three waves in, they haven't addressed the loose, wobbly joints. Rocksteady has the flimsiest legs, which would be unacceptable under normal circumstances, but his torso feels like a solid hunk of plastic that just can't be supported by the lightweight legs (on top of all of this, the right hip is extremely loose).

Metalhead is all over the place as, aesthetically, he looks pretty bad without the backpack on, but the backpack is so heavy and his legs are so wobbly, you have to tilt him pretty far forward to actually get him to stand upright. The "chrome" paint apps aren't as bad as photos would lead you to believe, but this figure is just really poorly put together. The general heaviness of the backpack versus the lightweight nature of the figure has me scratching my head as, similar to with Rocksteady, SOMEONE should have understood this was going to cause severe balance issues.

April has been complained about extensively, but I hate that what should have been the default head isn't scaled to the body, and mine has incredibly pink skin rather than the more 'translucent' looking skin apparent in a lot of the photos. Ironically, even though she has a fairly lazy sculpt, she's probably the best built of the four figures.

Overall, Mikey is the best, but he feels very gummy compared to Raph and Leo. I don't know how to describe it any other way than that he just "feels" like a cheap figure. On the plus side, his hips are much tighter than Raph's and Leo's, so he's far easier to pose.

I don't know. I really like most of the sculpts on these Super7 figures, but they HAVE to get much better QC in place. I know NECA gets a lot of crap, and justifiably so in many cases, but I've never had a NECA figure fall over simply from being poorly engineered. Hopefully they can work these flaws out by Wave 4, but that still leaves me needing to figure out ways to 'fix' like eight figures from across the first three waves.
definitely the weakest wave so far. April is a $55 Happy meal toy and Metal Head is just overall a boring figure with loose joints

Rocksteady is great and the star of the set. Mikey is just Mikey and adds to the 4 turtles lineup.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:33 PM   #2603
italianice388
Stone Warrior

this is my favorite TMNT line, but i'll be objective and agree.

michelangelo has really, really messy paint application. there's no excuse for that at this price point. otherwise solid fig, despite being 95% reused parts.

rocksteady is awesome. seconded on loose legs. the paint wash also doesn't look good at all, imo, and makes him feel inconsistent when placed next to bebop. still, that sculpt is incredible.

metalhead is a bit of a let down. just not super clean or interesting. similar to mutagen man, metalhead just feels like a slightly bigger version of the original figure with barely any upgrade.

april, as someone else said, is a happy meal toy. the sculpt is boring: it seems like the horsemen pawned her off to an intern or something. the eyes are so far apart. and the paint...is there even any paint? how can you justify that kind of price point and not put any effort into painting your figure? honestly a downgrade from the playmates original somehow.

again, i love this line. bebop, minus his shiny stomach and tiny accessories, is a near perfect figure. baxter is also incredible. the turtles are pretty good, but the inconsistencies in belts, teeth, and finger nail treatment coupled with the fact that they all have the exact same "battle damage" on their shells is a let down. from a sculpt and paint perspective, figures like shredder, splinter, and april feel like they're in another line altogether and should have been sold for $15 each, imo.

to justify $55, i need to see a consistent level of bebop and baxter quality from here on out on all figures. otherwise i will skip. i'm not buying luke warm figures like metalhead or mutagen man anymore, and i will absolutely continue skipping happy meal toys like april and shredder.

anyway, just my take! i am still excited for the next few waves. i just hope they're of a higher standard of quality.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:13 PM   #2604
anti_climacus
Mouser

While this line hits all the nostalgic and toyetic feels, I worry constantly about how long these figures will last without breaking (looking at you Foot Soldiers) or turning completely non poseable. And yet, these figures look amazing assembled all together in a group and it's that display aspect that keeps me coming back. The standout sculpts have all been the bigger mutants (though I agree that Mutagen Man is a bit bland), but I'm hopeful that upcoming regular(?) sized muties like rat king, genghis frog, or slash are just as good.

My biggest issue with the latest wave is that the quality is totally off. There are bigger gaps between bicep or foot parts.The tiny connector pin for the legs seem to be more fragile on all the figures than past waves and it's very apparent with Rocksteady in comparison to my Bebop. Those small connector pins for the legs, elbows, and arms should all be upgraded to ball and socket joints considering the price now. The paint app on my Mikey head is kinda sloppy around the bandana and in the white eyes whereas Raph and Leo's are perfect.

It's surely disappointing and I hope others had better luck with their figures, but I will definitely consider being more choosy about future orders after the 4th wave comes through at the end of this year. The QC has to improve for me to continue buying these figures. Let's see if Super7 continues to keep their costumers apprised of their prototypes or how mockups look like from the factory in the future. They may be more hesitant after the fallout from the recent Thundercats waves pictures they released.
anti_climacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:32 PM   #2605
italianice388
Stone Warrior

seems like we're all pretty much on the same page on this!
Old 08-31-2021, 04:47 AM   #2606
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
metalhead is a bit of a let down. just not super clean or interesting. similar to mutagen man, metalhead just feels like a slightly bigger version of the original figure with barely any upgrade.
I mean, that's exactly what this entire line feels like anyway. The figures have all basically been larger, more detailed versions of the original designs.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:08 AM   #2607
mikey see
Mad Scientist

I'm still loving the line but I agree with everything posted above (aside from the Happy Meal comments, that's just dumb internet herd hyperbole IMO). Metalhead looks great but he can't stand and my thigh swivels are frozen. Mikey has a bigger gap at the hip than the other two turtles and the inconsistencies are astounding (teeth, matte/shiny head, belt, painted nails, etc). Rocksteady looks amazing but the wash sets him apart from the rest of the line (mine thankfully does not have loose hips). April is... well I actually like April ok but there's no denying that the finish on the skin is not consistent with the rest of the line. One of my ankles was also completely jacked in the package.

And now these are $55. Ha! They've had three waves to figure this stuff out and in my opinion they're getting worse. The sculpts are still on-freaking-point but this line is headed in the wrong direction.

edit: also, I think it's telling that we're complaining after we just got new figures. It's not unusual for us nerds to have some negative things to say while we're waiting on our toys, but usually once the toys show up it's all staged photos and glowing raves. I remember when wave 1 came out, the praise was almost universal. There are still those posts, sure, but they're mixed in with talk of frozen joints, sloppy paint, and inconsistencies. I can understand why Super7, as a business, needs to diversify their offerings and keep growing. But it certainly feels like they're trying to do too much too fast. When this line launched it was only the second Ultimates line along with Thundercats, right? Now they've got, what, GI Joe, Transformers, Power Rangers, Simpsons (?!), Disney, the Worst... it's way too much and the cracks are really starting to show in a big way.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:38 AM   #2608
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
I'm still loving the line but I agree with everything posted above (aside from the Happy Meal comments, that's just dumb internet herd hyperbole IMO).
Not really, April looks like a cheap toy that lacks details, with cheap accessories like the suit case. That's why we are calling it happy meal toy. Not too mention the fear of moving her legs and worrying about them breaking. If you like her, fine...but she is a dud to me and certainly not even near worth the price tag.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:02 PM   #2609
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Mine finally arrived!

I'm going to go ahead and respectfully disagree with the folks who dislike April. I think she's great! I love the different options for display. Currently on the fence between the more cartoon accurate headsculpt and the sculpt with the headset.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:07 PM   #2610
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
The Space Cadet? I mean, it was an iconic release--that whole wave was--but I almost never played with that figure as a kid and can think of quite a few other variants I'd rather have first.
I am also a big star Trek the Next Generation fan, and enjoy space things in general. This figure scratches a few itches for me. Plus it is cool to look at.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:18 PM   #2611
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
Not really, April looks like a cheap toy that lacks details, with cheap accessories like the suit case. That's why we are calling it happy meal toy. Not too mention the fear of moving her legs and worrying about them breaking. If you like her, fine...but she is a dud to me and certainly not even near worth the price tag.
I can agree that the figure isn't worth $45. There just isn't enough going on with the vintage design to make for a good deluxe version in 2021. It was a bland design in 87, it's still a bland design (same goes for Shredder). Having said that, I think they did a great job of updating it in the same way that they've done with the rest of the line (still with some flaws).

If you own it and don't like it then yeah, that sucks. I take no issue with that and it's a bummer. It's the 100 kids talking trash about it that have never seen it in person that I have a problem with. The nerd herd hate train always rolls though.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:57 PM   #2612
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I can agree that the figure isn't worth $45. There just isn't enough going on with the vintage design to make for a good deluxe version in 2021. It was a bland design in 87, it's still a bland design (same goes for Shredder). Having said that, I think they did a great job of updating it in the same way that they've done with the rest of the line (still with some flaws).

If you own it and don't like it then yeah, that sucks. I take no issue with that and it's a bummer. It's the 100 kids talking trash about it that have never seen it in person that I have a problem with. The nerd herd hate train always rolls though.
I skipped out on the naked shredder (it's a good model for what it is representing). I hope S7 makes the toon turtles variant with the gray top. Maybe slip in a non-helmeted Oroku Saki head sculpt. While I ordered the April O' Neil, it would be nice if S7 tackles the green or orange pockets variant (perhaps, pack in a few new head sculpts with detachable headset or some mousers).

Last edited by Dask; 08-31-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:22 PM   #2613
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:

I do have it on the shelf with the others....I always thought the original April mostly sucked, so I guess Super7 properly carried it over then. But was I hoping for something better than what we got.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:51 PM   #2614
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
I mean, that's exactly what this entire line feels like anyway. The figures have all basically been larger, more detailed versions of the original designs.
except mutagen man and metalhead didn't really feel more detailed. they may have been, slightly, but not in a significant way.

mutagen man's paint job is so simplistic that he doesn't feel any more detailed than the original figure, which is a shame because his sculpt is really great. it just all gets lost in that sea of unpainted plastic. missed opportunity due to corner cutting.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:58 PM   #2615
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
There just isn't enough going on with the vintage design to make for a good deluxe version in 2021. It was a bland design in 87, it's still a bland design (same goes for Shredder).
Respect to your opinion, and I've heard many say something similar, effectively, "the original April was bad and had little paint, and this figure is drawing from the original, so it's intentionally and correctly bad and has little paint." The logic, for me, breaks down because this line isn't just a 1:1 recreation of the original figures. It's an improvement and re-interpretation of and inspired by those original designs. If a figure was bad as a $3.00 toy in the 80s or 90s, that's not an excuse for it to be a bad $55.00 adult collector item inspired by that toy in the 2020s. take the essence of that overly simplistic, bad april figure from the 80s and make it something actually cool. make it more detailed, give texture and draping to the fabric of the clothes. paint little details in, like pockets, zippers, cuffs, etc. sculpt in new additions like tiny tears in the fabric. there's so much potential. that's the whole point of the line. those defending it saying it's just staying true to the original figure come across as trying to defend a purchase that maybe they subconsciously regret. but that's just my take.

genuinely, if you enjoy the figure, i'm glad, and i hope you continue to enjoy it. but for me, it doesn't reach my bar for quality.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:08 AM   #2616
SleepDrifter
Thug

Super7 will be at PowerCon this year (9/10-9/12) so there’s a good chance we will see a Wave 6 reveal there.
SleepDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #2617
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
Respect to your opinion, and I've heard many say something similar, effectively, "the original April was bad and had little paint, and this figure is drawing from the original, so it's intentionally and correctly bad and has little paint." The logic, for me, breaks down because this line isn't just a 1:1 recreation of the original figures. It's an improvement and re-interpretation of and inspired by those original designs. If a figure was bad as a $3.00 toy in the 80s or 90s, that's not an excuse for it to be a bad $55.00 adult collector item inspired by that toy in the 2020s. take the essence of that overly simplistic, bad april figure from the 80s and make it something actually cool. make it more detailed, give texture and draping to the fabric of the clothes. paint little details in, like pockets, zippers, cuffs, etc. sculpt in new additions like tiny tears in the fabric. there's so much potential. that's the whole point of the line. those defending it saying it's just staying true to the original figure come across as trying to defend a purchase that maybe they subconsciously regret. but that's just my take.

genuinely, if you enjoy the figure, i'm glad, and i hope you continue to enjoy it. but for me, it doesn't reach my bar for quality.
Yeah, I mean... I'm not saying it's a great figure. It's definitely not an "ultimate". They could have absolutely done more with the opportunity than they did. However, we're 12 figures in and for the most part they've been pretty 1:1 re-creations of the vintage figures. They've done very little re-imagining. The alt heads and the scale have been about the furthest they've deviated from the vintage designs. But you're right, some texture on the jumpsuit could have gone a long way towards bringing the design into the modern era without being a huge departure from the vintage inspiration. And of course the paint detail on the skin is just... well, it's not their finest work.

At the end of the day I'm still happy I went back and added her to my BBTS order after initially skipping. She looks great with the rest of the figures. I do think Super7 will likely give us another look for her down the line (green jumpsuit, yellow with orange, etc) but for better or worse this is the OG look we've got to go with the rest of the '88 assortment and it does the job well enough for me to feel ok about my $45 investment.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:06 AM   #2618
j3h
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepDrifter View Post
Super7 will be at PowerCon this year (9/10-9/12) so there’s a good chance we will see a Wave 6 reveal there.
That feels right.
j3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:20 AM   #2619
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, I mean... I'm not saying it's a great figure. It's definitely not an "ultimate". They could have absolutely done more with the opportunity than they did. However, we're 12 figures in and for the most part they've been pretty 1:1 re-creations of the vintage figures. They've done very little re-imagining. The alt heads and the scale have been about the furthest they've deviated from the vintage designs. But you're right, some texture on the jumpsuit could have gone a long way towards bringing the design into the modern era without being a huge departure from the vintage inspiration. And of course the paint detail on the skin is just... well, it's not their finest work.

At the end of the day I'm still happy I went back and added her to my BBTS order after initially skipping. She looks great with the rest of the figures. I do think Super7 will likely give us another look for her down the line (green jumpsuit, yellow with orange, etc) but for better or worse this is the OG look we've got to go with the rest of the '88 assortment and it does the job well enough for me to feel ok about my $45 investment.
definitely a fair take, my dude.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:25 PM   #2620
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepDrifter View Post
yup! I can't wait to check out their booth!
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote