The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 03-13-2021, 03:17 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Biggest games you haven't played

There's so many big name games out there that it's impossible to play every single one for obvious reasons. So you're bound to miss out on some.

As someone who's mostly grown up playing Nintendo consoles that automatically made me miss most exclusive PlayStation and Xbox games. Fortunately a lot of those have become available in other platforms since then. OK, I didn't play FF7 or 8 but they're both on the Switch so I'll definitely get on to them someday. And I played KOTOR on Steam.

But if I had to name THE big one it would be Metal Gear Solid. I've NEVER played a single MGS game in my life. I might fix that someday.

There's also stuff like Minecraft, Overwatch, Fortnite, Rocket League, etc. that I haven't played either... but I don't care about any of that.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:45 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

1. World of Warcraft
  2. Halo 2
  3. Smash Ultimate
  4. League of Legends
  5. Any of the Counterstrike games
  6. Pokemon Sword/Shield
  7. Left 4 Dead
  8. Most of the GTA games
  9. Mass Effect aside from 2
  10. Overwatch
  11. Any of the Dark Souls games
  12. Goat Simulator
  13. Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2
  14. Fortnite
  15. Goldeneye
  16. Crysis
  17. Most of the Assassin's Creed games

I'm pretty damn poor, so most of the new games I've gotten in the past five years or so have been Switch downloads on sale.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:03 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
  1. World of Warcraft
  2. Halo 2
  3. Smash Ultimate
  4. League of Legends
  5. Any of the Counterstrike games
  6. Pokemon Sword/Shield
  7. Left 4 Dead
  8. Most of the GTA games
  9. Mass Effect aside from 2
  10. Overwatch
  11. Any of the Dark Souls games
  12. Goat Simulator
  13. Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2
  14. Fortnite
  15. Goldeneye
  16. Crysis
  17. Most of the Assassin's Creed games

I'm pretty damn poor, so most of the new games I've gotten in the past five years or so have been Switch downloads on sale.
I haven't played most of those you list either, but I'm not too interested in trying them out either.

GTA I've only played Vice City so far. And played it many many years after it came out, so it felt really outdated by the time I got around to it. Seems like San Andreas didn't age too well either from what I've heard.

Until rather recently, Resident Evil was another series I had never played. But last year I bought the REmake when it went on sale on the Switch.

There's plenty of good games I'd like to try someday, but I'm well aware I won't have either money or time to play every single one of them, so I'll have to prioritise. Good thing a lot of popular games nowadays areb my type of game. Just like I never had much of an interest in Counter Strike or Halo. I can live without playing those games.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:18 PM   #4
Icebot
Foot Elite

Let’s see:

Fortnite
Every Super Smash game except N64, 3DS and Switch
Zeldas Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword
I never got into Pokémon so any Pokémon game with the exception of the Smash games
All the Final Fantasy games
Xenoblade Chronicles
All the Mario Party games
I probably forgot some more
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

But if I had to name THE big one it would be Metal Gear Solid. I've NEVER played a single MGS game in my life. I might fix that someday.
That's nuts. One of my favorite series of all time. From Summer 2018 through January 2019 all I did was play all the MGS games in storyline order, and that was incredible. I know I also went to work and did other stuff during that time, but all I remember is playing MGS games.

Anyways, I tend to play most of the "big" games eventually but I take my sweet time in getting there. I'm usually many years late to everything, but I do get there. Case in point, I only started "Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" a couple of weeks ago and I love it, but that came out in like 2006. I don't MEAN to do this, I just get distracted.

So yeah, there's a ton of notable games I'm super-late to getting around to:
- Last Zelda game I played was "Twilight Princess", still need to get to "Skyward Sword" and "Breath of the Wild".
- Only played the first two "Arkham" games, still need to get to "Origins" and "Arkham Knight".
- Never played any Mass Effect yet.
- Other than some of RE: 0 I haven't played any other Resident Evil games.
- Only played the Tomb Raider reboot, none of the original series.
- I have most of the Assassin's Creed games but I haven't played them yet.
- Haven't gotten around to GTA V yet (I really liked IV though).
- Haven't played either Red Dead Redemption game yet even though they look really great from seeing my wife play them.
- Given that I'm just now getting around to Oblivion, you can guess that I haven't played Skyrim yet.

There's probably a bunch more but that's off the top of my head. And I actually own most/all of these games and have for years, I just get distracted re-playing the same games I've played a hundred times since I was a kid. Like I hooked up the NES last year for the first time in a decade and after that pretty much all I did for a year was play NES and SNES games at the expense of everything else.

I've been trying to be better recently about playing stuff I haven't gotten around to yet. Like Oblivion, which is awesome.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:50 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

You think you're behind in Zelda? I haven't played Twilight Princess yet! Let alone Skyward Sword or BOTW.

You see, around 2007-2012 I went through two different phases. First I went through a retrogaming phase where I revisited some 8bit and 16bit era games and also finally played some of those I had missed back when I was a kid. The Wii Virtual Console was a pretty useful thing at the time!

And then I went through a phase where I wasn't gaming much. Which made me miss out on several games as well. It's really strange looking back, but I wasn't gaming that much around 2009-2012 for some reason, and I honestly thought I was outgrowing games.

It's hard to keep track and in touch all the time because time flies and new games come out often. Plus now there's a lot of old games bring remade and remastered for current gen consoles. So I can't play every single game when it comes out. I haven't even played BOTW yet and they're making a sequel for it already.

Game hoarding is a bad habit that I developed for a while. I still have some 3DS backlog to tap into, but the Switch keeps getting my attention haha. And let's not talk about Steam, but I'll have to get a new PC somewhere this decade.

As for MGS, its mainline games are Sony console exclusives, I believe. And the only Sony console I've had to date was the PS2. MAYBE if I get a ps5 someday I'll finally be able to play MGS since I assume some sort of collection will be released for it down the line?
Old 03-13-2021, 07:51 PM   #7
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
Every Super Smash game except N64, 3DS and Switch
Just say Melee and Brawl, you weirdo. It's like people who say half-a-dozen instead of six.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:10 PM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
As for MGS, its mainline games are Sony console exclusives, I believe. And the only Sony console I've had to date was the PS2. MAYBE if I get a ps5 someday I'll finally be able to play MGS since I assume some sort of collection will be released for it down the line?
Yeah, that's a factor I suppose. They did do a really handy "ultimate collection" for PS3 a few years back which is what I used for my marathon run. It has all the games through MGS4 except for some of the non-canon PSP games like Acid. But it does have Peace Walker, which is one of the greatest games ever, period. I couldn't believe how much I loved that game. I thought that as it originally came out for a handheld it would be some kind of step down but it ended up being one of the best games in the entire series by a mile.

I prefer "Twin Snakes" over the original PS1 version of MGS1, though, so I had to hook up the Gamecube once I got to that part of the series. And then I'd picked up MGSV: Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain for Xbox One. So there was some system-hopping I had to do but if a person didn't care about playing the Twin Snakes remake of MGS1 then a person could easily play the entire series on PS4 (or 5, as the case may be).

I wouldn't hold my breath for another collection anytime soon, though, since the franchise is pretty much "dead" now and Konami and Kojima had a very messy "divorce". Unless they reconciled and put together a new game in the series, which is HIGHLY unlikely, I think the PS3 collection is as good as it's ever gonna get for that series. Which is fine by me, as it's a really fantastic collection.

But yeah, have fun with all that. I know I sure did. That series for me was life-changing.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:13 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Oh that sucks.

So I guess I can forget about a collection coming to the PS5. And I'm not buying a PS3 just to play MGS games in the current decade.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:16 PM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm pretty sure the PS3 collection will still play on a PS5. They apparently worked on PS4.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:28 PM   #11
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Because of Shredder’s Revenge, I’m checking out retro TMNT games. So on topic:

- TMNT Turtles in Time. I only got to play the Re-Shelled PS3 version.

- TMNT Arcade cause I believe it’s in that huge arcade box at mall thingy. Never seen it. Maybe it’s in emulator now I should check it out.

It’s very annoying that game developers don’t release these old games on modern consoles. Megaman did it on Switch for all of its retro collection, why can’t TMNT? Don’t they want money? Gross incompetence istg
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:32 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

Licensing fees.

As in, "It would cost more to get the rights to those games and produce the material in a new format than they'd ever make back in profit."

TMNT isn't that popular. If they thought it would be worth the money then someone would have taken the initiative. Obviously, the people who handle the money think it's a bad investment.

Really not that complicated.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:49 PM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

I'd totally buy a TMNT Ultra Games/Konami collection.

But I don't expect to see one ever. It probably wouldn't sell enough copies to justify the investment.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:22 PM   #14
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Licensing fees.

As in, "It would cost more to get the rights to those games and produce the material in a new format than they'd ever make back in profit."

TMNT isn't that popular. If they thought it would be worth the money then someone would have taken the initiative. Obviously, the people who handle the money think it's a bad investment.

Really not that complicated.
We've been over this, TMNT ain't He-Man, brah. Turtles will sell once it's appealing to critics and casuals.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:38 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

I've pretty much played every major game in existence except:

- generic sports games
- generic racing games
- Call of Duty #2747837473 (I played 3 of them)
- Most older JRPG's
- Most PC only strategy games

Other than I keep up with 90% of all game releases.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:02 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I've pretty much played every major game in existence except:

- generic sports games
- generic racing games
- Call of Duty #2747837473 (I played 3 of them)
- Most older JRPG's
- Most PC only strategy games

Other than I keep up with 90% of all game releases.
I used to like FIFA and PES when I was a kid, but haven't played or bought any of those games for about fifteen years now.

People who buy FIFA every single year are strange. They're paying full price for pretty much the exact same game with updated rosters. No wonder EA keeps getting rich and buying other companies...
Old 03-13-2021, 11:29 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Through Game Pass PC I've probably played about 50+ games in the last year that I would have never played otherwise. Absolutely mind blowing games are given away for "free" these days. All the Bethesda games just came out on Gamepass a day ago too, although I already played most of them.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:56 PM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
We've been over this, TMNT ain't He-Man, brah.
You're right; He-Man is cool and done well more than just occasionally.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:15 AM   #19
Roseangelo
Emperor

I really haven't played the Zelda games.

The only one I put any real effort into was the GBA re-release of Link to the Past, but never finished it. Sorta started some others, but never got past the beginning of them. No real reason why... just haven't connected with them, I guess.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:45 AM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
- TMNT Arcade cause I believe it’s in that huge arcade box at mall thingy. Never seen it. Maybe it’s in emulator now I should check it out.
You mean like MAME? Yeah, Turtles: The Arcade Game and Turtles in Time (arcade version) have all been successfully emulated for about 20 years now. It's not even difficult to find.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote