The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-27-2021, 10:34 PM   #401
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I thought the "Flashpoint" thing was from a couple of versions ago, no?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:51 PM   #402
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Production has briefly halted due to an on-set accident. Nobody appears to have been seriously hurt

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/257...ion%20Accident
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:29 PM   #403
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's interesting the difference in turnaround times. They're both basically at about the ending of shooting both Flash and Spider-Man No Way Home, both with multiversal craziness... yet we're getting No Way Home this December but not The Flash until November next year? Weird.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:52 PM   #404
The Deadman
Foot Elite

WB Reportedly Already Planning A Sequel For The Flash
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...equel-already/

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:57 PM   #405
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Keep in mind that "We Got This Covered" is known for wild click bait articles.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:46 AM   #406
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The movie seemingly explores prior films in the DCEU and provides an 'alternative take' on them...so...a micro-third 'cut' of Justice League?

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1446559401154908188
Old 10-09-2021, 04:09 PM   #407
Sumac
Banned

So is like
Spoiler:
Avengers End Game
, where characters travel back to events of past movies?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:38 PM   #409
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
This movie looks amazing holy ****
Old 10-16-2021, 03:46 PM   #410
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wish they showed more of 75 year old Batman
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #411
Leo656
The Franchise

New Flash suit looks pretty good. Although the mask looks a bit too much like a helmet in a couple shots, kinda clunky.

I'm still a bit perplexed as to why WB is simultaneously pushing the whole "Multiverse" concept so hard across all their media, while at the exact same time they only commissioned this movie, supposedly, for the main purpose of wiping out the recent DC movies that weren't Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Kind of seems to run contrary. "We have a Multiverse now, so everything is canon... except for the stuff we're specifically pouring concrete over." Makes them look even more silly since most people actually liked Snyder's Justice League and lots of them would actually like to see that version of the DCU continue in some form, now. Except they'd already started this project before that, so they're committed to needlessly erasing a timeline that many people now wouldn't mind seeing further explored.

WB's general incompetence and "last person they talked to" method of decision-making makes it nearly impossible for me to ever get emotionally invested in any of their projects ever again, quite frankly. I'll see this one and it might even be decent, even though it's still not at all what the first-ever Flash movie should be. But knowing how bad they are at commitment and follow-through just makes it really, really hard for me to look at any of their projects with any reaction but "Eh."

Movie might be good, might be crap. The only thing you know for sure is that if enough people make snarky memes about it, they'll say it never happened/doesn't count. And that if people like it... they'll wait too long to make a sequel or follow-up, and by the time it comes out nobody will care.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:22 AM   #412
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I did think the trailer was fine. Cool to see a small shot of Keaton's Batman for a brief second but again, this is supposed to be a Flash movie. And I still stand by that "Flashpoint" is not a good pick for his first film. The Flash suit look pretty cool.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:26 PM   #413
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I did think the trailer was fine. Cool to see a small shot of Keaton's Batman for a brief second but again, this is supposed to be a Flash movie. And I still stand by that "Flashpoint" is not a good pick for his first film. The Flash suit look pretty cool.
Right? Imagine being a little kid in 1993 and someone travels back in time to tell you there's a Flash movie coming out... in about 30 years... and that MOST of the focus and buzz is on an elderly Michael Keaton Batman, and not Flash. Also that multiple Flash'es would be in the same movie. And that's it's all Barry and not Wally. You wouldn't even know where to START calling "Bullsh*t".

I used the same hypothetical for the Venom/Carnage movie, but seriously. It's so weird how lately we're finally getting a bunch of the movies we wanted as kids... in ways that we would be absolutely outraged and aghast over, Back Then. And we just go along with it because we're so conditioned with Hollywood screwing these things up by this point that these awful creative choices actually start to resemble something sensible.

I'm not saying by default that the movie will be awful. But the creative decisions fueling it definitely are. You can make a good movie out of a bad idea, but one would prefer they started with a good idea and ran with that instead. As it is, this whole thing is based solely on WB's hyper-defensive reaction to what the internet said about BvS, which will be almost a decade old in itself by the time the Flash movie comes out. Everybody's moved on, and ZSJL even redeemed some of the creative choices in BvS with the benefit of added context to where the story was headed all along. Thus, the "need" for WB to do this big time travel retcon project that erases everything except the Wonder Woman and Aquaman movies is severely diminished. It's now become a "solution" in search of a problem. And as I've mentioned, the fact that they're leaning into a "Multiverse" makes the whole retcon angle of this movie completely pointless anyway!

We're getting a Flash movie designed entirely around WB's flailing attempts to rebuke what people said about their DC movies on the internet over five f*cking years ago, now. If that doesn't illustrate just how "day late and a dollar short" they are on just every single thing, then I don't know what does.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:37 PM   #414
Vegita-San
Emperor

the problem with the DC movies wasn't that they where not a carbon copy of the marvel formula. if they wanted to go darker, fine. but make them INTERESTING. ESB was darker than star wars, but it set up some interesting things and new characters and plots.

that's where WB failed with their movies. Wonder woman was OK, but it didn't have anything INTERESTING in it. Superman may have looked nice, but it didn't fit the character at all. The only one they kind of got right was Batman, and even that Screwed the pooch on the Joker, getting his character wrong. but at least we got an awesome scare crow out of it.

it may have taken WB 5 years to figure out how to fix what they couldn't figure out was wrong inthe first place.

admittedly, I am not the biggest fan of miller's flash. too dumb for barry allen. but the trailer DOES look cool. and yeah, I 'm kind of tired of the flash point plotline again. changing one relatively minor thing like he does should not alter the universe that badly.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:55 PM   #415
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
The only one they kind of got right was Batman, and even that Screwed the pooch on the Joker, getting his character wrong. but at least we got an awesome scare crow out of it.
What on earth do the Nolan Batman movies have to do with modern DC movies? Batman Begins is from 2005 and Dark Knight from 2008...literally 15 year old movies. Considering how heavily praised Joker is from that film, I don't see how you can "screw" Joker since his character is constantly reinvented over the years.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:28 PM   #416
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
the problem with the DC movies wasn't that they where not a carbon copy of the marvel formula. if they wanted to go darker, fine. but make them INTERESTING. ESB was darker than star wars, but it set up some interesting things and new characters and plots.
To a person who actually reads comics, then they were very "interesting", in that they were far closer to the source material than any DC movies had ever attempted to be.

I'm aware that most of the audience for a movie doesn't read comics (most of them nowadays probably can't even read, period). But if seeing the material from print translated to film in a spiritually-faithful way is all you ever wanted to see, then those movies were very, very "interesting".

MoS, BvS, Wonder Woman and ZSJL remain the only DC movies that feel in any way like they were made by people who actually READ the comics and absorbed the material. Pretty much everything else before and since is from the Bryan Singer/Tim Burton school of "adaptation", where they simply look at covers for visual interpretation and make up whatever they feel like for the rest of it. Although the Green Lantern movie was actually super-faithful, too, but I digress.

"They weren't interesting" isn't what stalled them out. They simply weren't populist enough and came out at a time when people wanted safe, funny popcorn entertainment in their super-hero movies. Everything is cyclical in entertainment. If "Batman & Robin" had come out in 2016, it would've made two billion dollars. If "The Dark Knight" had come out in 2016, people would have called it "try-hard edgelord trash".

If you really go back and look at the entire history of these things over decades, what hits and what doesn't at any given time has very little to do with the products themselves, and a LOT to do with what the mainstream audience is in the mood for at any given time. WB/DC has always fallen into a trap of doing dark and serious movies when people want light and fluffy, and doing light and fluffy when people want dark and serious.

Put simply, WB is not good at reading the room, and a lot of things they attempt are things that would've done great IF they'd come out figuratively "five minutes ago" and not Right Now.

Old 10-18-2021, 05:56 AM   #417
Sumac
Banned

Adherence to the source material doesn't mean anything when it comes to the quality of the adaptation.

It is kind of strange to think that "closeness to the source material" is more important than quality of the work as a whole.

And in general, adaptation, should always stand on its own.
If adaptation needs support of the source material to be understood or to be considered a "good adaptation", than this adaptation is trash. Simple as that.

And this is the prime case with WB movies as of late - no matter how close they are to the tone of contemporary comic books, it doesn't make them good, because, quality of writing sucks.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:44 PM   #418
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Director confirmed on instagram the film has wrapped
Old 10-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #419
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Put simply, WB is not good at reading the room, and a lot of things they attempt are things that would've done great IF they'd come out figuratively "five minutes ago" and not Right Now.
while I had a few problems with the Dark Knight movies, they WHERE some of the best batman to date. nothing like Marvel. People LOVE those movies.

Superman, Wonder woman, and Green Lantern, not so much.
Wonder Woman was probably the least bad of the three. and even then, I remember her villain choice not making too much sense, and the WW plot point too close to Captain America.

Too me, who HAS read some of the comics, but not all, it felt like they just don't know what to do with these characters anymore. they tried to go safe and basic with WW, didn't work out. They went dark and brooding with superman, Didn't work out. they turned Green Lantern into a live action cartoon. didn't work out.

I havn't seen Shazam, but it looks interesting and different. but I soured on DC movies by that point. I didn't see Aquaman either.

I HAVE seen all the Marvel movies except Captain Marvel. every one is fun and ads something a little different. they had a plan and they seemed to know what they where doing and what the audience wanted.

DC on the other hand, seemed to want to experiment, and throw darts at the wall to see what stuck, with everything EXCEPT batman, which stayed pretty true.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:24 PM   #420
Leo656
The Franchise

Both "Shazam" and "Aquaman" surprised me a lot more than I expected.

Their trailers looked like the movies themselves would just be goofy comedies but turned out that wasn't the case. Aquaman had some pretty violent moments and Shazam starts out pretty dark and has a few grisly scenes later on. I expected to be "meh" on both but they both turned out very good.

Although the downside is, I still can't get a few of my friends to take a chance on them. Most of them are like me, they abhor "silly" super-hero movies and won't watch them. I keep trying to explain to them that the marketing was misleading and that neither movie is as goofy or dumb as the trailers would suggest, but they just can't get past the marketing long enough to give either one a chance.

And how the hell do you do a Wonder Woman movie without Aries? If they'd picked any other villain for her first movie, that would've been ass. Her rogues gallery kinda sucks, you've got Aries way up top and then a huge drop-off, then scrubs like Circe and Dr. Psycho or whatever.

Green Lantern was another movie that came out at the wrong time. There's some stuff I'd change but they got the plot and the characters spot-on. It was a bit too silly, but again, if it came out the same year as "Thor: Ragnarok" it would've been called a masterpiece and made tons of money, specifically BECAUSE it had those goofy bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Adherence to the source material doesn't mean anything when it comes to the quality of the adaptation.

It is kind of strange to think that "closeness to the source material" is more important than quality of the work as a whole.

And in general, adaptation, should always stand on its own.
If adaptation needs support of the source material to be understood or to be considered a "good adaptation", than this adaptation is trash. Simple as that.

And this is the prime case with WB movies as of late - no matter how close they are to the tone of contemporary comic books, it doesn't make them good, because, quality of writing sucks.
Nah.

For example, I've never read Doyle; therefore, I don't get to have an opinion on Sherlock Holmes, in any incarnation, be it film, novel, cartoon or otherwise, on account of I don't know jack sh*t and am self-aware enough to admit that fact.

All I'm allowed to say is whether or not I had fun with this or that for the limited time I spent with it. I don't have any authority whatsoever to say whether or not that adaptation was "good", because I don't know enough to state that opinion. Definitely not to plant a flag in concrete about it.

Likewise, people who don't read comics don't have any authority to speak to anything regarding adaptations, outside of, "I personally had fun with this movie for two-ish hours."

A person can in theory make a movie about Jesus where he hops off the cross, straps on a jetpack, and goes off to save Venus from the evil Space Martians. Might be a fun movie. People might like it. It'd still be a terrible adaptation of the Jesus character and his adventures, and Biblical scholars would have every right to cry foul about it from their perspective. The people screaming "It was FUN, though!" wouldn't erase the fact that everything about it was anathema to the material being "adapted".

I swear, movies are the only form of entertainment where having a MORE educated opinion on the subject being adapted somehow makes your opinion "wrong". I'll never understand it. It's weird.

Last edited by Leo656; 10-18-2021 at 05:32 PM.