The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 12-15-2020, 02:50 PM   #2981
Tyrannozord27
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
ask the diamond cartels. look at the ps mini till they saw it was garbage. they know addicts will buy no matter the cost, no matter who the "dealer" is.
I have a feeling that creating this controlled demand is consciously part of the Neca game. It sounds counterintuitive to say that Neca 'looks the other way' in regards to scalping, but perhaps they're looking at the long term appreciation of their product. When people are in distress because they can't find them, people will develop into an addiction cycle when they do find one in the wild.

There's a rush of dopamine when you do find it, and this will propel you to keep hunting for the figures. Scalpers just add to the stress which can only be satiated by obtaining the figure. Neca know what it is doing.

In regards to people buying 10 Splinter sets, I can attest from first hand experience that there are groups of collectors buying out all the figures to distribute them to other collectors. It sucks for people not associated with these groups, but perhaps you can start/join your own group. At the end of the day, the figure goes to the community and not a scalper. I just hope the pics on the internet are coming from such collector associations.
Tyrannozord27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:18 PM   #2982
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
So the guy that has 10 has them at $200+ a piece

Why is this set starting at $200? Come down to reality
Some guy has 6 in one lot starting bid at 600.00....

Again I get the scalping game but this is getting out of control.

I guess the positive is that Targets will have a ton of these...provided you get there before the scalpers do.

Last edited by TMNTFanatic4Life; 12-15-2020 at 04:26 PM.
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #2983
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Scalpers suck , end of story . There’s no need
If it’s just about a buck , get a real job and stop screwing collectors
Old 12-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #2984
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

I don't blame scalpers, I blame the fools that buy toys from them. I get it, and I'm with everyone when they say "Scalpers suck", but to that I say "A fool meets the scalpers demands". I want these figures but no way in Hell am I buying a 50 dollar toy for 200 sugar cubes. If you have the money to buy it for triple the retail price and money is of no importance then have at it. Truth is you'll eventually find it for a better price unless it's some super rare vintage toy then your screwed especially if they have that crap graded lol.
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #2985
italianice388
Stone Warrior

agreed, i get the anger towards scalpers but...they're just doing what anyone would do. if you want to direct your anger at someone, direct it at NECA for absolutely abysmal distribution, customer service, and comms.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #2986
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

If anyone has a Slash/Leatherhead for the store price plus shipping compensation please PM me. The way the scalpers are it could be awhile before I can get them for the suggested price tag otherwise.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:33 PM   #2987
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
If anyone has a Slash/Leatherhead for the store price plus shipping compensation please PM me. The way the scalpers are it could be awhile before I can get them for the suggested price tag otherwise.
You think prices on stuff like this come down. Oh, you sweet, Summer child. Bless your heart.

You will never find these for MSRP. That ship has sailed and sunk. If you wait another few months they'll be about $400.

If you "must" have them, just swallow your pride and find a spare $100-200 and jump Right Now. Your chances of paying any less than that EVER are practically zero.

OR... just give up on ever owning anything from this line, like I did. It sucks at first, but then after that it's very liberating.

I mean, y'know, "Good Luck" and everything. But you're basically asking Santa to bring you a unicorn.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:43 PM   #2988
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
I agree with Leo. Your last chance for those was the NECA website order back in August (whhiiicchhhh hasn't shipped yet either).

I'm not down with the immediate scalper flip, but if there is a market for an item starting between a year and a year and a half after release, that's not a scalper market. That's an aftermarket. But if it makes you feel better, I have never seen an April nor a Casey 2-pack in person. Not once. So unless NECA plans on sending more of those out, it's likely I'm going to have to dig in for those as well. Even some of the international online retailers I've ordered through haven't had them.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #2989
Leo656
The Franchise

This is the age we live in, now. Where even wrestling figures that show up for $20 at retail go for $100+ on eBay less than a year later because they're the characters everybody wants.

You either get "lucky" during the first 6 weeks and find toys at or close to retail price... "bite the bullet" and pay about twice as much online during the following 1-3 month window... OR, wait more than 4 months and prepare to sacrifice a car payment for a f*cking TOY.

But no, prices don't come down. That's not even "wishful thinking", that's... I don't know WHAT that is.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:07 PM   #2990
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
This is the age we live in, now. Where even wrestling figures that show up for $20 at retail go for $100+ on eBay less than a year later because they're the characters everybody wants.

You either get "lucky" during the first 6 weeks and find toys at or close to retail price... "bite the bullet" and pay about twice as much online during the following 1-3 month window... OR, wait more than 4 months and prepare to sacrifice a car payment for a f*cking TOY.

But no, prices don't come down. That's not even "wishful thinking", that's... I don't know WHAT that is.
Everything we are talking about here are what happens when you have that boutique market that I keep talking about. Engineered scarcity for an engineered collectibles market to a shrinking audience.

There were high-demand fads when I was a kid too. But even that was difference because toys weren't made to boutique audiences and there were greater economies of scale.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:33 PM   #2991
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

I've wondered what would happen if literally every single collector refused to pay a scalper. It's not just in the toy market. It happens whenever a new console comes out as well. Me and a buddy were talking about this the other day and he truly thinks these people can be starved out if people would just straight up refuse to pay the prices. If NECA can set a limit "per household" for toys then can't they insist Wal Mart does the same with their products? I know that wouldn't totally stop scalping but it would at least maaaaaaybe throw a slight wrench into it.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:30 PM   #2992
Tyrannozord27
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! View Post
I've wondered what would happen if literally every single collector refused to pay a scalper. It's not just in the toy market. It happens whenever a new console comes out as well. Me and a buddy were talking about this the other day and he truly thinks these people can be starved out if people would just straight up refuse to pay the prices. If NECA can set a limit "per household" for toys then can't they insist Wal Mart does the same with their products? I know that wouldn't totally stop scalping but it would at least maaaaaaybe throw a slight wrench into it.
This is like the scenario with political organizing, idea being that with enough people stalling the machine will come to a halt. If we can't get organized in civil matters, the task seems way more unlikely with lesser pursuits.

And there is blame to be put on Neca as well. Granted they have improved ways to get these things to individuals but it's clear they want to 'preserve the collectability' of the product. That means more headaches for you and I, but we can also choose to stop buying if it comes to that level.
Tyrannozord27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:56 AM   #2993
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Hang tight for about a month and you should see some slightly lower prices. Prices always go down after Christmas and people should be getting their sets from NECA. Their will be more on the market and fewer people looking for them.

But yeah, the MSRP ship sailed long ago.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:40 AM   #2994
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Hang tight for about a month and you should see some slightly lower prices. Prices always go down after Christmas and people should be getting their sets from NECA. Their will be more on the market and fewer people looking for them.

I am holding out till after Xmas for Krang and Splinter/Baxter as well. I need them, but I am willing to wait for the post xmas drop.

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #2995
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

I've basically given up. Early on I did preorders through Zavvi and paid the extra $10/figure to avoid the hassle, but I give up at this point. Until NECA can come up with a better distribution system, I'm not going to go running around looking for these things. It would be especially selfish to do so during a bad stretch of this pandemic, since each interaction carries some element of risk for me or other people, which just is hard to justify in the pursuit of some toys.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:49 AM   #2996
Marm O. Set
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
...It would be especially selfish to do so during a bad stretch of this pandemic, since each interaction carries some element of risk for me or other people, which just is hard to justify in the pursuit of some toys.
Right?
I'm quarantining HARD for health reasons which means I have a 0.00% chance of buying these from Target. But let's be honest, I had a 0.00% chance anyway. My best hope is for NECA to post pre-order sales online like they did for MetalHead, Super Shredder, Rahzar/Tokka.

This is beyond frustrating because Krang's Android, Splinter, and Baxter have been top priority for me since they began the line.
Marm O. Set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:03 AM   #2997
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:

I was not aware that Neca had preorders from its website. However, as I read it was for specific items. I wonder if like Bebop/Rocksteady that Slash/Leatherhead will get a new batch made. I understand collectability, but its getting frustrating. I got Bebop/Rocskteady from China for $58 7 months after original release and it was 92 days before it arrived at my house after that.

Still though I would appreciate being able to pay $60 USD and not wait as long as I did for Bebop/Rocksteady for Slash/Leatherhead.

How has Zarax and Zork been as far as availability? I want that pair too, but not nearly as bad as Slash/Leatherhead.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:35 AM   #2998
Juicexct
Foot Soldier

There are other ways to get these besides inside a Target store. I have a full time job where I’m not on my phone all day. I also don’t have the luxury of working from home and I have still managed to aquire every release. Some people rather sit online and complain they can’t purchase them because they don’t put in the work. It isn’t hard. Set alerts, search for websites that sell Neca products, etc.

Turtles - Target store
Bebop/Rocksteady - eBay
April - Target.com
Leatherhead/Slash - Zavvi
Casey Jones - Zavvi
Triceraton - Target.com
Zork - Target.com
Metalhead - Neca.com
Splinter/Baxter - Canucktibles
Mondo Gecko - Canucktibles
Juicexct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:47 AM   #2999
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I was not aware that Neca had preorders from its website. However, as I read it was for specific items. I wonder if like Bebop/Rocksteady that Slash/Leatherhead will get a new batch made. I understand collectability, but its getting frustrating. I got Bebop/Rocskteady from China for $58 7 months after original release and it was 92 days before it arrived at my house after that.

Still though I would appreciate being able to pay $60 USD and not wait as long as I did for Bebop/Rocksteady for Slash/Leatherhead.

How has Zarax and Zork been as far as availability? I want that pair too, but not nearly as bad as Slash/Leatherhead.
Yeah, NECA put up select sets for one-week preorders earlier this fall. They'll almost definitely be doing it again, and probably soon. Their shipping prices were horrible but at least it made the figures easy to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicexct View Post
There are other ways to get these besides inside a Target store. I have a full time job where I’m not on my phone all day. I also don’t have the luxury of working from home and I have still managed to aquire every release. Some people rather sit online and complain they can’t purchase them because they don’t put in the work. It isn’t hard. Set alerts, search for websites that sell Neca products, etc.

Turtles - Target store
Bebop/Rocksteady - eBay
April - Target.com
Leatherhead/Slash - Zavvi
Casey Jones - Zavvi
Triceraton - Target.com
Zork - Target.com
Metalhead - Neca.com
Splinter/Baxter - Canucktibles
Mondo Gecko - Canucktibles
Yes, all of the figures are easily obtainable if you're ok paying more than retail. Many can't/won't though, which makes this line almost impossible to 100%. That's not sour grapes talking either (I've managed to get all but one set), that's just the fact of the current distribution.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #3000
Juicexct
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Yes, all of the figures are easily obtainable if you're ok paying more than retail. Many can't/won't though, which makes this line almost impossible to 100%. That's not sour grapes talking either (I've managed to get all but one set), that's just the fact of the current distribution.
I see your point, but the most I paid over retail was $10-$15 a set on some of the ones from Zavvi and Canucktibles. I would’ve spent more time and gas looking for these in stores.
Juicexct is offline   Reply With Quote