The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 07-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #1
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior

Tom Spina Designs finished Raphael Head

Hello,

I just wanted to share pictures of my recently completed Raphael head based off the original 1990 movie design. He is not a 100% likeness to the movie but I think he comes really close! The latex head which is backed in foam lining was a blank I purchased from The Prop Shop Garage on Facebook that came with a set of lower teeth. IMO this company makes the most accurate heads based on the 1990 movie as far as sizing and likeness. I mailed the blank off to Tom Spina Designs who I felt was the perfect choice since they worked on restoring a couple original turtle suits. I basically paid them for full paint job, cloth bandana application and glass eyes as well as custom mask stand and display case. I have to say Tom Spina Designs is the most professional company I have ever worked with and the customer service is top notch. Thanks for looking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Raphael finished Spina 6.jpg (8.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Raphael finished Spina 5.jpg (9.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Raphael finished Spina 3.jpg (9.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Raphael finished Spina 4.jpg (8.3 KB, 21 views)
Bmaga123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior

Couple more pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Raphael finished Spina 7.jpg (15.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Raphael finished Spina 2.jpg (10.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Raphael finished Spina.jpg (9.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 07-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Spina is a legend! Super cool piece.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
Spina is a legend! Super cool piece.
Thanks buddy!
Old 07-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #5
bwwd
Hench Mutant

So its replica, looks quite close, good colours, im sure they saved info about original suit colours and used them on it
Old 07-20-2018, 05:56 PM   #6
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwd View Post
So its replica, looks quite close, good colours, im sure they saved info about original suit colours and used them on it
Yes it's a replica and for sure they know the exact colors used which is one of the reasons I wanted them to take on this project. Thanks for commenting!
Old 07-25-2018, 03:08 AM   #7
bwwd
Hench Mutant

Can You ask if they took casts of the tmnt costumes they had for restoration to create copies for themselves privately or they werent allowed to copy any costume ? I would do them anyway and wouldnt tell but maybe theyll be open about it , or they didnt do it cause arent huge fans.
Also how expensive it was ?
Maybe theyre in good contacts with Brian Henson and know what happened with original TMNT molds from 1st film ? Destroyed or stored in Henson warehouses ?

Last edited by bwwd; 07-25-2018 at 03:15 AM.
bwwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwd View Post
Can You ask if they took casts of the tmnt costumes they had for restoration to create copies for themselves privately or they werent allowed to copy any costume ? I would do them anyway and wouldnt tell but maybe theyll be open about it , or they didnt do it cause arent huge fans.
Also how expensive it was ?
Maybe theyre in good contacts with Brian Henson and know what happened with original TMNT molds from 1st film ? Destroyed or stored in Henson warehouses ?
They are very secretive about what materials were used on the original costumes and will not give any of that information away and trust me I tried to get it lol. The head blank cost me 300.00 shipped and Tom Spina charged me Just under 2,000 shopped for full finished head with glass eyes, custom stand and display case which is not seen in the pictures.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #9
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmaga123 View Post
Hello,

I just wanted to share pictures of my recently completed Raphael head based off the original 1990 movie design. He is not a 100% likeness to the movie but I think he comes really close! The latex head which is backed in foam lining was a blank I purchased from The Prop Shop Garage on Facebook that came with a set of lower teeth. IMO this company makes the most accurate heads based on the 1990 movie as far as sizing and likeness. I mailed the blank off to Tom Spina Designs who I felt was the perfect choice since they worked on restoring a couple original turtle suits. I basically paid them for full paint job, cloth bandana application and glass eyes as well as custom mask stand and display case. I have to say Tom Spina Designs is the most professional company I have ever worked with and the customer service is top notch. Thanks for looking
Looks great. Am interested to see if you can get it running with the animatronics.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #10
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Looks great. Am interested to see if you can get it running with the animatronics.
Unfortunately not this is display only plus it's not the correct material for animatronics.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:28 AM   #11
bwwd
Hench Mutant

foam latex was used on suits, its basically sponge/ foam that wraps around muscles of actors like a glove and latex is on top.You can do this material yourself, there are some tuts on youtubes, its very lightweight and it bends like a sponge.
Thats why some turtles suits from regular silicone or latex look bad because its just thin layer of latex without sponge in it to wrap around muscles skingtight.
BUT big issue with latex is that it degrades when exposed to sunlight , yea it sucks a lot, so in many cases silicone is much better cause its veru durable no matter what weather it is and can withstand high temps even close to 200C.
Im wondering myself if anyone tried to do foam silicone cause it exists.Latex is used for a reason as well, it degrades so new parts have to be made which means more money have to be spend... you know what i mean?

Last edited by bwwd; 07-27-2018 at 03:11 AM.
bwwd is offline   Reply With Quote