The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #41
CyberCubed
Overlord

Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon were basically the big 3 anime in the 90's everyone watched. Given they're also all popular with kids despite some adult themes and violence in all made them mainstream as opposed to only adult anime that wouldn't air on television back in the day.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #42
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I tried to follow it but I couldn't, especially since I didn't see it every dy. No real opinion on it either way, but it does always remind me of better and simpler days, simply through that passing experience with it. Part of me kinda wants to watch it "properly" just for the hell of it but with all the various DVD sets that came out
Your words there pretty much sum it up for me exactly.

I know it's got a huge following, it's successful and I'm curious about it. But it's just huge and not something I'm ever going to watch beginning to end. I'm sure if I tried it, it would turn out like G1 Transformers where I can't even make it through an episode anymore.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

Sailor Moon is 200 episodes and a few movies. I can watch that in about a months time.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:25 PM   #44
Leo656
The Franchise

In my case it's not the scale of the show that's daunting, it's the confusion about which DVD set would be the right one to buy.

And so help me God if you tell me to "just stream it" I am going to shoot you in the face.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #45
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
In my case it's not the scale of the show that's daunting, it's the confusion about which DVD set would be the right one to buy.

And so help me God if you tell me to "just stream it" I am going to shoot you in the face.
IIRC it's like Power Rangers - it has a variety of titles but they are all the same series. "Sailor Moon S" was like season whatever of "Sailor Moon".
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #46
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Sailor Moon for me is all the ones with the cheesy songs.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:40 PM   #47
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
IIRC it's like Power Rangers - it has a variety of titles but they are all the same series. "Sailor Moon S" was like season whatever of "Sailor Moon".
There's 5 seasons of Sailor Moon. They all have subtitles as they go on.

Viz released DVD boxsets of the show and the new dub is excellent. It's pretty easy to see what to buy.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:11 PM   #48
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Sailor Moon for me is all the ones with the cheesy songs.
I don't know about that...
Old 05-04-2021, 06:23 PM   #49
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
There's 5 seasons of Sailor Moon. They all have subtitles as they go on.

Viz released DVD boxsets of the show and the new dub is excellent. It's pretty easy to see what to buy.
I hope they re-translated the dialog. that was another thing that really rubbed me the wrong way.

For example, where Chibi-Usa gets back from the future she hands the Sailor senshi a note from her mom, which is read by Minako who then says that she made it all up since there was nothing understandable in the note.

But in the original Japanese version of that scene, Minako points out that the note has no Kanji in it, since that is a signature thing of Usagi's, making the point that Queen Serenity and Usagi are the same person ever more apparent.

What was the deal with "I made it all up"? They could have made a joke about the note being in Usagi's handwriting and make remarks about how terrible it still is and how she never improved.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:42 PM   #50
Leo656
The Franchise

Issues #5 and 8 of the MLP comic have ponies dressed as Sailor Scouts as background characters. That's pretty funny.

Issue #9 also has two ponies dressed up like Donatello and Michelangelo in the background. Unrelated, just thought it was worth mentioning. I learned a lot today.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #51
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Just for those that are curious it goes..

Sailor Moon
Sailor Moon R
Sailor Moon S
Sailor Moon Super S
Sailor Moon Sailor Stars

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:11 PM   #52
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Sailor Moon: Classic, a bit innocent and formulaic . It's simple but that's good and it still has some pretty good moments. It's a good series.

Sailor Moon R: The filler arc in the beginning is top tier and some fo the best SM. When it starts adapting the manga it's ok, I can't remember much besides that it was inferior to the filler arc but don't remember if it was good or bad.

Sailor Moon S: Could be the best Sailor Moon season, it's so good.

Sailor Moon Super S: I don't know what happened but it's the worst.

Sailor Moon Star: Meh, it's not a mess like Super S but it wasn't that great either.

Overall a fun show to watch. I need to watch Crystal, is that done?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:25 PM   #53
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah the fourth season is where Sailor Moon started to get really repetitive, as the formula started running thin by that point. Still there were some great individual eps and a good finale. The final season was good.

Crystal's two movies covering the 4th season actually come out on netflix next month I think. So Crystal will have covered the first four series, all that's left is the last one which will probably be covered by movies instead of a season.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:54 AM   #54
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Sailor Moon was way ahead of its time. For something that was written in the early 90's, it was full of lesbian relationships, gay characters, transgender characters, female empowerment, all the Sailor Scouts have little crushes on each other throughout the series even if they're all straight, etc. It's hard to believe Japanese kids all watched this between 1990-1995.

I watched the whole Viz redub of all 200 episodes just last year having never seen most of the show before.
It wasn't real full of anything like it and "trans" characters were not really trans either, in modern horrid understanding of that word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Which also brings up a good point that always pisses me off whenever something gay is on a 'kid's show'. They always have to throw in sexuality when all they're doing is holding hands or whatever, similar to their heterosexual counterparts. Like a male character can just hug another male character or, as always in cartoons, sacrifice their life to save the male character', but naaaaaw everyone right away has to go there and already be thinking these kids are gonna be taking turns butt-****ing each other.
Yeah, I've noticed it too - in modern media and social networks people are disturbingly obsessed with underage characters sexuality and sex.

I understand that that people who do that are losers to one degree or the other, who are projecting themselves onto characters, but c'mon, most of the time those characters are just teenagers / kids (or look like teenagers with this horrible modern art style) and its idea that they must be boning each other behind the scenes is just stupid and disturbing.

Also, this weird obsession with "prom nights". And in general, idea that two people who are close to each must be lovers, instead of friends is dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Sailor Moon: Classic, a bit innocent and formulaic . It's simple but that's good and it still has some pretty good moments. It's a good series.

Sailor Moon R: The filler arc in the beginning is top tier and some fo the best SM. When it starts adapting the manga it's ok, I can't remember much besides that it was inferior to the filler arc but don't remember if it was good or bad.

Sailor Moon S: Could be the best Sailor Moon season, it's so good.

Sailor Moon Super S: I don't know what happened but it's the worst.

Sailor Moon Star: Meh, it's not a mess like Super S but it wasn't that great either.

Overall a fun show to watch. I need to watch Crystal, is that done?
Agree with this rating.
SMSS was the best and everything after it was sort of a downfall.

Last edited by Sumac; 05-05-2021 at 06:06 AM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:28 AM   #55
CyberCubed
Overlord

In Sailor Moon, Usagi basically has a crush on all her friends (it's made obvious the first time she sees Rei and Minako and Makoto), even if she's portrayed as straight for most of the series. In the final season she has a crush on the main male Sailor Star character too who can transform into a woman.

Obviously Uranus/Neptune are lesbians, but there's also lesbian innuendo between Chibiusa and Sailor Saturn that goes on through the series. Uranus also flirts with Usagi in the series and in Crystal they have an on-screen kiss that was cut from the original.

Besides that, the Sailor Stars transform from men to women when they fight, essentially making them transgender. And in the first season Zoisite or whatever his name was and one of the other male villains are gay lovers.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:53 AM   #56
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
It wasn't real full of anything like it and "trans" characters were not really trans either, in modern horrid understanding of that word.

Yeah, I've noticed it too - in modern media and social networks people are disturbingly obsessed with underage characters sexuality and sex.

I understand that that people who do that are losers to one degree or the other, who are projecting themselves onto characters, but c'mon, most of the time those characters are just teenagers / kids (or look like teenagers with this horrible modern art style) and its idea that they must be boning each other behind the scenes is just stupid and disturbing.

Also, this weird obsession with "prom nights". And in general, idea that two people who are close to each must be lovers, instead of friends is dumb.

Agree with this rating.
SMSS was the best and everything after it was sort of a downfall.
Just the connection of sex and homosexuality in general. Like straight characters can hold hands, send love letters, and do all the corny **** guys usually do to try to impress a girl for our comedic benefit.

But make em gay, naw, everyone is already talking about blowjobs and buttsex. Like wtf.

Honestly to me that's why everyone treated the April and Don thing like that. It's a kids cartoon. Its not gonna go into sexuality. The most they ever did was an occasional kiss and all the hugging. But everyone was like ewwwwww cause their first thought was how Donnie and April gonna **** or if they were compatible to ****.....in a kids cartoon that will never deal with sex anyway.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:33 AM   #57
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
In Sailor Moon, Usagi basically has a crush on all her friends (it's made obvious the first time she sees Rei and Minako and Makoto), even if she's portrayed as straight for most of the series. In the final season she has a crush on the main male Sailor Star character too who can transform into a woman.
Your Yuri goggles are tight.
You have my approval!

Quote:
Obviously Uranus/Neptune are lesbians, but there's also lesbian innuendo between Chibiusa and Sailor Saturn that goes on through the series. Uranus also flirts with Usagi in the series and in Crystal they have an on-screen kiss that was cut from the original.

Besides that, the Sailor Stars transform from men to women when they fight, essentially making them transgender. And in the first season Zoisite or whatever his name was and one of the other male villains are gay lovers.
One bisexual character, one Lesbian couple, one Gay couple and one crossdresser (+ magically sex-changing characters who never bring it up, AFAIR) are not "everyone being Gay".

For puritanical West at the time it was "too much", but one Gay couple per seasons (even two) are not that much.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:05 AM   #58
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Sailor Moon was way ahead of its time. For something that was written in the early 90's, it was full of lesbian relationships, gay characters, transgender characters, female empowerment, all the Sailor Scouts have little crushes on each other throughout the series even if they're all straight, etc. It's hard to believe Japanese kids all watched this between 1990-1995.
Aside from Haruka and Michiru, what lesbian relationships were there and even with those two, it wasn't overt and pretty tame. There were no transgender characters I can think of offhand. Fisheye was a crossdresser. The Starlights...well, maybe they kind of fall under the "trans" banner...but then again, not really since the male bodies weren't their real ones and were disguises. This is an anime change I always wondered about. In the manga, the Starlights to hide their identities just cross dressed as guys. Why they had them as guys and going back and forth seemed like an odd change. IIRC, Takeuchi wasn't very happy about that change since she said herself, there will never be a male Sailor Soldier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
I remember getting up at 4:00AM to watch Sailor Moon.
It came on around that time here too. I caught an ep during spring break of my 8th or 9th grade year back in the mid 90s. I was actually sick, and my grandmother was staying over at my aunt's place, so I slept in her room. Her room had a TV. I couldn't sleep, so I turned on the TV and saw Sailor Moon. I liked it. I hadn't seen a show where girls were fighting off bad guys (in some way) since She-Ra. lol That's what drew me to it. I even remember the ep I saw. It was the one with Ryo (forgot his dub name) who had a crush on Ami who figured out she was Sailor Mercury. It was during the Rainbow Crystal arc and right before Makoto/Jupiter showed up, iirc. I watched it every morning, until it just stopped being shown randomly. It stopped sometime in R after ChibiUsa showed up. I actually didn't watch the series in full until about 2000, but it was subbed.

The only parts of the series I still have a semi-issue with is SuperS and Stars.
In Japan, apparently, ChibiUsa became very popular, hence why SuperS pretty much focused on her more than what was necessary and why the Outers were dropped and the other Inners weren't seen or focused on as much.

For Stars...I liked it (mostly for the music, honestly), but as a whole I still never fully understood the whole Galaxia and Chibi-Chibi stuff, and here being her lost Star Seed or something...meh. Stars in general is just confusing, and I felt the same way about this arc in the manga. I felt more sorry for Usagi in the manga during Stars though,
Spoiler:
given how the deaths were handled (it was all condensed in the anime), so she didn't have time to truly focus on it.
Quote:
Sailor Moon is 200 episodes and a few movies. I can watch that in about a months time.
There were only surprisingly, three movies. With other series, they usually get a movie release every year that its anime is on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
I don't know about that...
Ooo, Route Venus from SMR! That was always a fun song. I also liked her character theme for Stars. Mars had really good, catchy themes too. I also tended to like Mercury's and Jupiter's. Some of Sailor Moon's I liked. I liked one of Chibi Moon's. Liked Uranus and Neptune's themes. Loved Holy Grail (Saturn/Hotaru's bgm). The show had some good music...but if you listen to some other Toei produced stuff (well with bgms mostly), it's obvious that they used the same musicians or something. It was super obvious with Digimon Adventure/Adventure 02. Even the Kaiser's character theme from 02 (Only One) kind of reminds me of Golden Queen Galaxia for some parts (certain notes) from Sailor Stars.
Quote:
No, she doesn't. This shows how little you understand about Japanese culture. She was showing admiration towards Rei for being a priestess, Makoto for being strong and able to beat up bullies while also being able to cook good meals, and Ami for being intelligent and graceful. Usagi never really had a thing for Seiya...it was the other way around. Usagi was much too loyal to Mamoru for that and was actually depressed during Stars because she didn't hear from him after he went abroad to study in the US.
Quote:
Same situation, ChibiUsa and Hotaru were good friends. There were no lesbian undertones that you're making up. In Japan, female friends and male friends tend to be closer and more willing to show affection or hold hands and hug and junk like that, but no one would think anything of it. While I was living there, I saw this all the time with kids. When I worked at the junior high school, I saw this too. The girls would hug on one another, walk around with linked arms playfully and stuff like that. High school as well. No one thinks anything of it because it's so normal amongst friends. What you won't see are boys and girls carrying on in that way because people might get the impression that they're a couple.

Also, Haruka is a lesbian, Usagi isn't.
Quote:
And in the first season Zoisite or whatever his name was and one of the other male villains are gay lovers.
Kunzite and Zoisite's relationship is actually confusing and an odd change from the manga. They weren't lovers for that. It was more like a mentor and mentee relationship or like a teacher and his student. The Shittenou were romantically linked with each of the inner soldiers. If I'm not mistaken, the reason for this change in the original anime was because of some reference to an older manga work that probably actual Japanese audiences would pick up on. It's like Pokemon and the earlier episodes referencing Japanese stuff all the time, including some of the crossdressing stuff Kojirou used to do as well as Musashi.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:32 AM   #59
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Also, Haruka is a lesbian, Usagi isn't.
In the OG anime Usagi seems at least bisexual as she has no issues with Haruka flirting with her (in the manga and new anime, Haruka even kisses her) and she has crush on Seia, though whether it is Homo or Het depends on how you see Starlights.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:02 PM   #60
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
In the OG anime Usagi seems at least bisexual as she has no issues with Haruka flirting with her (in the manga and new anime, Haruka even kisses her) and she has crush on Seia, though whether it is Homo or Het depends on how you see Starlights.
Seeing as how they were posing as guys and Usagi (as well as Minako) tend to fawn over guys in general, I'm going to go out on a limb and go with her being attracted to him, even though she never seemed fully interested in Seiya to me. I know I personally preferred Seiya x Usagi to Mamoru x Usagi, because it wasn't as boring as those two. lol Up to a point, Usagi and the others don't know that Seiya and the others are the Starlights.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote