The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-23-2023, 12:33 AM   #21
Barkworm
Super Moderator

If you're a literature student, you can easily find homosexual themes and motifs in classic literature without shoehorning them into works that don't have them. Fantastic novels, too. Like the Picture of Dorian Gray?
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 01:23 AM   #22
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkworm View Post
If you're a literature student, you can easily find homosexual themes and motifs in classic literature without shoehorning them into works that don't have them. Fantastic novels, too. Like the Picture of Dorian Gray?
If you have a good imagination you can easily find Homosexual themes everywhere you look and even prove your point.
So?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 06:50 AM   #23
Barkworm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
If you have a good imagination you can easily find Homosexual themes everywhere you look and even prove your point.
So?
You can interpret things in the wrong way, it's not only up to your imagination. Oscar Wilde's got lots of gay stuff going on in his work because he was gay himself. Lord of the Rings has plenty of homoeroticism where you have a hard time UNimagining it.

My point is, if you're obsessed with this stuff there's enough literature in which you can legitimately find it. But analyzing it into works where it doesn't exist is dumb
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 07:39 AM   #24
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
You can interpret things in the wrong way, it's not only up to your imagination.
Tell it to Twitterphiles.

Quote:
My point is, if you're obsessed with this stuff there's enough literature in which you can legitimately find it. But analyzing it into works where it doesn't exist is dumb
But this is where we are at, with public discourses about gay stuff in media. This type of post-modernism "everything can be anything I want", which I despise.

It robs things out of meaning and turns everything into extremely subjective impressions, driven by complexes and ego, as opposed to legitimate criticism and knowledge.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 09:50 AM   #25
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Tell it to Twitterphiles.
I think Barkworm was actually saying that there is enough authentic and organically-created material all throughout the history of publishing that there is no need to insert these themes as an overriding factor into material that was without them to begin with.

Which is of course the actual issue with "woke $#!(". Most normal people aren't bothered by these themes on their own merits. But nobody likes being told this is "representation" when in fact this has always been the childlike projection of life-anger from these "creators" who seem to get a kick out of "overriding" and "usurping" normalcy for their own designs - basically acting out their social murder on regular people for their life anger.

It's the same concept for basically most things that fall under the woke banner. It's societies mental-children acting out and throwing tantrums to harm "normalcy".
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 10:32 PM   #26
Turtle Soup
Thug

I've watched only a few episodes of this series, so I have no opinion on the actual series. I have however watched the movie and thought it was actually pretty great. Never saw it coming.
Turtle Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 05:46 AM   #27
tmntpower1988
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Soup View Post
I've watched only a few episodes of this series, so I have no opinion on the actual series. I have however watched the movie and thought it was actually pretty great. Never saw it coming.
I actually liked the movie myself. When I was watching clips of the show on YouTube of the episodes that were more comedy I didn't like them so much though but when it does get serious it's not too bad.
tmntpower1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 07:27 AM   #28
tmntpower1988
Stone Warrior

I finally got round to giving this show a chance, I managed to make it through all the episodes. Thought the majority of the episodes were crap, there were a few funny moments here and there, I actually liked the finale episodes. The majority of the villains were weird, a magician hippo and some weird worm news anchorman mutant wtf I liked Baron Draxum though. I don't like that they turned Baxter Stockman into a kid. Hoon Lee was great as the Shredder though and found it amusing Tiger Claw's voice actor doing the voice for Splinter. I can no longer think of soup or look at a can of soup anymore without the phrase, "Hot soup!" popping into my head thanks to this show.
Old 01-12-2024, 12:37 PM   #29
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, if they were going to turn Baxter into a kid, at least do something interesting with him and have him around more. Even if he's just some juvenile wannabe evil genius that keeps getting in the way and is far less of a threat than he believes he is.

Agree on Draxum. A decent concept, imo, and one of the few redeeming ideas from that show. I tend to be rather picky about new villains in TMNT and find many ideas rather mediocre (such as most in 2003's Fast Forward season, save for maybe the Dark Turtles who had more potential than they were given), but I could see him show up again elsewhere. I'd prefer he remained a villain though.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 04:22 PM   #30
shihe
Hench Mutant

I got more or less the same complaints.

Most episodes are crap.
Very few episodes are actually awesome.
But there's no in between.

I liked Draxum and Big Momma for antagonists the most. (I mean besides Shredder and Krang from the movie)

And Splinter's backstory is really good IMO. I had to give this show 4 chances to get through it. Just like Next Mutation.
Old 01-13-2024, 06:45 AM   #31
PizzaPower
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shihe View Post
I got more or less the same complaints.

Most episodes are crap.
Very few episodes are actually awesome.
But there's no in between.

I liked Draxum and Big Momma for antagonists the most. (I mean besides Shredder and Krang from the movie)

And Splinter's backstory is really good IMO. I had to give this show 4 chances to get through it. Just like Next Mutation.
I really miss the next mutation and wish we could still get a 2nd season. I like Rise of TMNT for what it is, it has fun moments, and the movie smacks imo.
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 01:12 PM   #32
Jeff
Stone Warrior

Tried getting into into 3-4 times and it's just not good. Like others have said, it's a show about nothing. There's just gags with no real development of characters, plot, anything.

The movie, however, was shockingly good. It made me try to revisit the series again in case I was wrong all along, and it turns out I wasn't! Shame we didn't get a few solid movies rather than the scattered mess the series was.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 01:34 PM   #33
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Am I the only one that was kinda "meh" on the movie?

If it wasn't for Leo's behavior I'd have probably liked it and the series at least moderately more. But after acting like an ass through the whole series and then, instead of growing up and becoming leader-like during the gap between series and movie, he still acts like a self centered ass for the first half hour of the movie, so by the time it came around toward the end and he tries to sacrifice himself I felt absolutely indifferent to him doing so.

I dunno, I think for me the entire Rise concept and vibe is also in some way just too much of a try-hard spectacle with too little substance. Not that it's the only one doing that these days though, the PD/Bay films and MM kinda aimed for that, too.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:31 AM   #34
DexVcx
Random Punk

So tired of people now saying "this show was good" and "needed a 3rd season" it did not. why wasn't nobody talking about it back then because no one cared about. It will be forgotten and known as another slop reboot version of the turtles.
DexVcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 04:09 AM   #35
Powder
So tired of this place

This show was good & needed a 3rd season.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 05:16 AM   #36
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexVcx View Post
So tired of people now saying "this show was good" and "needed a 3rd season" it did not. why wasn't nobody talking about it back then because no one cared about.
Many of those seem to be new Gen Z fans who didn't give a rat's ass about TMNT until they stumbled across the Netflix movie. But it's never their fault for dismissing the franchise until then, it's only the fault of Nick being mean and not keeping an underperforming show on life support until they got there.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:37 AM   #37
tmntpower1988
Stone Warrior

It's a pity the show wasn't like that more often, I really liked it when it was like this, there's a rivalry between this demon Shredder and Karai as well:

The music at the 1:04 mark sounds a bit like Takeshi's Theme (Tiger Claw) from the 2012 show.