The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

No More New Marvel Netflix Shows; Disney Wanted to Buy Fox to Compete with the Stream

If you enjoy watching Marvel shows on Netflix, you might want to sit down for this: in the future, new Marvel shows will air on Disney’s in-development streaming service, leaving Netflix in the dust. This is all part of a larger plan Disney has to compete with Netflix, which included their as-of-now dead deal to purchase a large chunk of 21st Century Fox. The bottom line: the era of Marvel Netflix shows is nearing an end.

When Disney revealed they were planning on creating a new streaming service of their own, it seemed almost a given that they would start producing their own original content for it – which they later confirmed they would indeed be doing. But what about Disney produced content that already exists on other streaming services? Namely, the Marvel shows that are so popular on Netflix? It looks like Marvel’s Netflix days are numbered. A report in the Wall Street Journal confirms that future Marvel shows will play exclusively on Disney’s streaming service. There’s no word yet if the current Marvel Netflix shows – Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, The Defenders and the upcoming The Punisher – would make the jump from Netflix to Disney’s service, but at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened.

The WSJ story also confirms that Disney’s as-of-now stalled plan to buy a large chunk of 21st Century Fox was tied directly to their goals of trying to compete with Netflix. “[W]e’ve turned our attention to the one platform seeing growth challenges,” Disney Chief Strategy Officer Kevin Mayer says in the article. “That’s the television platform.” The Fox deal would’ve given Disney control of a large portion of Fox’s TV shows, which Disney would’ve then presumably moved over to their upcoming streaming service. Mayer also says to think of the Disney streaming service “not an anti-Netflix move, but a pro-Disney move.”

Disney is clearly determined to come out ahead here, but the transition isn’t going to be cheap or easy. In addition to having future Marvel shows premiere on their streaming service, Disney is also planning to pull all of their movies currently on Netflix and bring them over to their own streaming platform. The WSJ states that this movie is going to end up costing Disney $300-million-plus a year, but Disney seems confident their gamble will pay off with fans making the jump over to their new service.

Netflix, meanwhile, is continuing on their own quest for entertainment domination, with plans to spend at least $8 billion in creating original content for 2018. That’ll continue the head-start they already have on Disney, who plan to debut their streaming service in 2019.

http://www.slashfilm.com/no-more-new...netflix-shows/
Old 11-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I don't think the deal with Fox is remotely over.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
of course they're going to pull the existing shows and air them on their own service. why wouldn't they?

so was this their plan all along?

thee ole 'bait em and get em hooked' routine.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

If the current crop of Netflix (DD JJ Luke Cage Iron Fist and Defenders) Go to that streaming service. Disney can suck it royally.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So Disney wants to move their Marvel shows from Netflix to Piratebay. All right, that's fine. Probably not a ton of Marvel Netflix fans are interested in paying just for them, or to randomly watch "The Little Mermaid" or something.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #6
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
So Disney wants to move their Marvel shows from Netflix to Piratebay. All right, that's fine. Probably not a ton of Marvel Netflix fans are interested in paying just for them, or to randomly watch "The Little Mermaid" or something.
ya I am just gonna wait till "sites" get them up and watch them for free. I am not paying Disney for shows that were originally on Netflix if they actually move them to the streaming service.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #7
sdp
-

Disney is the only one that can actually easily compete with Netflix right now without having to build a huge library. They already have plenty of ontent which they can rotate around with new incoming one, with brands like Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, ESPN and their different movie studios they have enough content for kids and adults.

In fact it's why Netflix is in trouble because they don't own enough of their own stuff and rely on others, this is why they invest heavily in original shows but even a lot of their originals they don't really own them, I remember reading about how many of those they don't really own so it does seem like Disney can pull the plug completely even on these Netflix originals.

I'm not happy to have all these companies with streaming services but it does seem like the future.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #8
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
They're probably hoping Marvel and Star Wars together are enough to pull people in. I imagine they're going to have problems with retention, though, and they know it, which is why they tried to buy Fox and its slate of TV. They've probably got a solid base in parents who might toss the extra money a month out for a stream for the kids. How far that might take them, who knows.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #9
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
They're probably hoping Marvel and Star Wars together are enough to pull people in. I imagine they're going to have problems with retention, though, and they know it, which is why they tried to buy Fox and its slate of TV. They've probably got a solid base in parents who might toss the extra money a month out for a stream for the kids. How far that might take them, who knows.
Couldn't they also move the ABC stuff to their streaming service?
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Hell no. Leave Jessica Jones and the boys on Netflix!
Old 11-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #11
chrisdude
Foot Elite

I would think they could load up the service with decades of ABC content, but I’ve heard no such thing.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:16 AM   #12
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

"Walt Disney Co. and 21st Century Fox are closing in on a deal and it could come as soon as next week, according to sources familiar with the matter."

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/12/05/...--sources.html
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
"Walt Disney Co. and 21st Century Fox are closing in on a deal and it could come as soon as next week, according to sources familiar with the matter."

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/12/05/...--sources.html
Old 12-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #14
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Yeah I'm excited too

If Disney does get the rights to Fox's Marvel characters, how would you have them introduce mutants and the X-Men into the MCU?

If they get the rights to the Fantastic Four, Dr. Doom, Galactus and the Silver Surfer I'd rather Marvel introduce them to the MCU first, there's a lot of story potential with the characters and they're some of my favorites

As far as mutants go, I think it could be done but they'd have to approach it carefully. I wouldn't want them to introduce mutants and retcon things so that they've always been around, with mutants dating back to ancient times (sorry not sorry, Apocalypse). I think introducing mutant evolution would work better as a story set in present-day, but then still I would think they'd need to spend a lot of time thinking about whether they really wanted to introduce them to the MCU because they carry so much baggage with them. A lot of their mutation-based powers make no sense and that's one area in which I have trouble with extending my suspension-of-disbelief.

I did always like this alternate take on the X-men mythos though
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
If Disney does get the rights to Fox's Marvel characters, how would you have them introduce mutants and the X-Men into the MCU?
I think one of two ways. There's supposedly a lot of reality altering stuff, multiversal kind of things going on in one or both of the next Avengers movies with Thanos... it is possible at some point things could get fractured and POOF, guess who's been around since forever? Mutants.

Or maybe they include a scene of the X-Men coming in for a big save at the end of Avengers 4, and that being their big "we are mutants, we are among you!" unveiling. And suddenly the world realizes what's been going on at Xavier's mansion/school for all of these decades. Hell, maybe SHIELD or Hydra-SHIELD even knew about them, kept them on watch lists.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #16
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Yeah I'm excited too

If they get the rights to the Fantastic Four, Dr. Doom, Galactus and the Silver Surfer I'd rather Marvel introduce them to the MCU first, there's a lot of story potential with the characters and they're some of my favorites
The Marvel Studios tone/style would actually work really well for the FF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:40 AM   #17
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
I think one of two ways. There's supposedly a lot of reality altering stuff, multiversal kind of things going on in one or both of the next Avengers movies with Thanos... it is possible at some point things could get fractured and POOF, guess who's been around since forever? Mutants.

Or maybe they include a scene of the X-Men coming in for a big save at the end of Avengers 4, and that being their big "we are mutants, we are among you!" unveiling. And suddenly the world realizes what's been going on at Xavier's mansion/school for all of these decades. Hell, maybe SHIELD or Hydra-SHIELD even knew about them, kept them on watch lists.
Far too late for them to get shoehorned into Avengers 4 though. But they could still do either a reality-reboot caused by some character messing around with powerful artifacts or magic or something, or just begin the mutant storyline in present day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
The Marvel Studios tone/style would actually work really well for the FF.
Yeah I think so too. The chances of a good FF story are way higher with Marvel than they were with Fox
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

If Disney buys all of Fox's properities does that mean they get The Simpsons, Futurama, etc. too or is this not included?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #19
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Doesn't Constantin Films still own the film rights to the Fantastic Four? I think they just have a deal with Fox to produce any F4 films but Fox has zero rights outside of distribution. I assume Disney would work something out with Constantin if the sale goes through.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Doesn't Constantin Films still own the film rights to the Fantastic Four?
Eh, looks like you're right. I see an article from last November talking about they were looking to liquidate them, though, but nothing new on that end.

Also, remember when Stan Lee called this back in September?

https://www.cbr.com/stan-lee-believe...-movie-rights/