The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 09-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

Angel

So I know Angel eventually turned out to be the new Nobody but I doubt that was planned from the start, so I'm still kind of mystified as to why such a minor character was given a major role.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

Worst thing IDW has done, IMO.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Mirage's Nobody was just a cop who received little to no characterisation.

Making Angel into Nobody rather than introducing a cop character made sense.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So I know Angel eventually turned out to be the new Nobody but I doubt that was planned from the start, so I'm still kind of mystified as to why such a minor character was given a major role.
It's not over yet, is it?

Anyway, the way I see it, she was a minor character in other continuities. By making her Nobody, IDW has elevated a character that was always there from the start in their own universe, and thus (like I said, the way I see it) always meant to become something more than we were used to seeing her become.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

It was mentioned that it was Kevin's idea in a brainstorming session. The above poster is correct that Nobody was a minor character with little development. 2003 cartoon did more with him adding a personal vendetta against the arms dealer Ruffington.. I never cared for Angel so I am nuetral on the idea. Maybe it will add more depth to her or give her more of a role.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Speaking as a guy not familiar with the Mirage character, I thought it was a economical use of characters, and gave Angel some much needed direction and power upgrade. Her time with the Purple Dragons was over, and she was pretty much helpless against Hun. This way she evens the odds a bit as the big showdown with the Foot and/or Krang takes shape.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Let's not forgot that nobody was basically a batman parody. This version stands out a lot more. Though it's funny that angel's nobody outfit looks like batman's nobody outfit with similar powers.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #8
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

This is my first real exposure to Angel as a character (haven't watched much of 2k3 or read Image) and so far I like what IDW's done with her. I do like Nobody in Mirage but he didn't have much personality outside "is a cop who plays superhero on the side." At first I wasn't sure what to think, but now that it's had time to sink in I like the idea.

One thing I think would be neat given Angel's earlier attempts at reforming the Purple Dragons and playing neighborhood watch would be if her experiences as Nobody convince her to become a cop, especially one focusing on gang violence. Not only would that be continued character progression for Angel and a nod to Nobody's origins, it would give the turtles future story leads inside the NYPD.

But who knows what they'll do.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
ctt4lfecw
Stone Warrior

We never really knew who Nobody was beneath the mask in Mirage. I think it was nice to have Nobody come back in IDW as Angel. Gives her something to do now that the Dragons are Hun's again.
ctt4lfecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:30 AM   #10
ToTheNines
[sic]

I'm fine with her being a solo vigilante and having that suit. Makes enough sense since Hun took back the Dragons.

I just don't get why she's "Nobody". I just don't see the connection, ya know?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:06 AM   #11
The Big Bad
Stone Warrior

Yeah...as I've mentioned, there is literally no connection between the characters besides a couple of very general costume design details they share (they're both dark, full-body costumes, which can also be said of several versions of, say, various Foot Ninja costumes). If the book hadn't explicitly given her the name, what reasons would people have for thinking "oh yes Angel is turning into this universe's version of Nobody" instead of being, say, the 'verses nod to Foot Tech Ninja?

Previous avatar artwork by Lorna-ka.
The Big Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #12
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I'm fine with her being a solo vigilante and having that suit. Makes enough sense since Hun took back the Dragons.

I just don't get why she's "Nobody". I just don't see the connection, ya know?
Pretty much this.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Agreed. I'm glad Angel is getting a bigger role, but I also liked Nobody as a bitter vigilante cop.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
snake
Disgusting

No idea why she called herself Nobody, but its great to see her having a bigger role in the book.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #15
Cipher
Foot Elite

While her being "Nobody" is one of the book's more painful examples of referencing for the sake of referencing (and the absolutely belabored setup of her choosing that name, oy vey), I really like what they've done with Angel and am glad she's continued to be a major character in the book. One of the best side characters IDW has, for sure, and one of its best re-imaginings of a previously existing one.

As for he way her role precludes a more Mirage-like Nobody, eh. As others have pointed out, he was basically a nutjob Batman parody whose entire character highlight was a weird conversation with Casey Jones before "City at War." Not someone I ever minded seeing, but not a character I feel has to be brought back in every Turtles incarnation. He was always very incidental.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #16
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

It doesn't make much sense, but its interesting enough for me. Its alot like when Casey's dad ended up being Hun. I've never been a fan of Angel but if this is how they plan on using her I think I can get behind it.
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:02 AM   #17
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I'm only up to volume 8 of the trades so far, so I hadn't been aware of this character development. Now I'm really intrigued. I like Angel, and was wondering what they would do with her after Hun took back the Dragons. I like the idea. I was actually wondering if Nobody or any of the other "hero" characters would ever show up- like Silver Sentry or Radical. I'd like to see Touch and Go or Total Carnage show up eventually, if just for an issue or two. But I'm content if it's just her and no one else. I want to read this now!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:13 AM   #18
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Probably should have just called her Nightwatcher, might have made more sense. I don't have any problems with it, especially since IDW seems to want to bring in every character they can think of so merging two is a good idea, but yeah the name doesn't seem particularly natural.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:32 AM   #19
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Probably should have just called her Nightwatcher, might have made more sense. I don't have any problems with it, especially since IDW seems to want to bring in every character they can think of so merging two is a good idea, but yeah the name doesn't seem particularly natural.
Man, good idea. That woulda been a loooooot better.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #20
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Except that then Nightwatcher wouldn't look like a "big metal turtle" as Casey put it. Nah, I would prefer it if they kept Raph in that role. (Maybe it could be brought in later?)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4kids, idw