The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 10-27-2020, 11:26 PM   #61
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyday View Post
Hating on the animation is something that I can never understand. Cgi tmnt series took a lot of short cuts to save money. Sometimes using still shots with speed lines background, which I didn't mind because I know they were just saving their budget for scenes with Shredder or season finales.

And what really gets me is hearing 2k3 has better animation.

I seriously want examples in videos. Please enlighten me.
A lot of people mistake animation with art style. Plain & simple.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:09 AM   #62
skylord
Thug

Just my two cents but I thought TMNT 2012 was pretty damn popular. I saw merch for it everywhere. I think it was a bad move by Nick to create a new TMNT so quickly after the 2012 run. I can imagine plenty of kids who liked the 2012 show just didn't like Rise because they weren't familiar with it.

Gen X = 1987 - early 90s
Millenials = 2003 - late 2000s
Zoomer = 2012 - late 2010s

The end dates have less of a cut off because kids fall out of interest at different times. I think the Zoomer period needed to end before a new TMNT cartoon could be as successful.
skylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:42 PM   #63
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

The animation of this one varies... Sure, in some action scenes it looks decent when there are plenty of frames and it's smooth, but there are other parts they take short cuts and make it choppy like some anime like to do and I hate that in animation. Also not a fan of the trend of needing to make animation overly hyper and exaggerated. By exaggerated I mean frames in animation where objects, etc are distorted to suggest motion.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:21 PM   #64
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

I watch a lot of anime so I don't mind the "short cuts" because you can't blow the budget if the guys are eating chips on the sofa, but honestly if animation was consistent then some scenes are not going have "snap" impact or weight when characters punch each other or slam into walls.

This also plays into how they show humor in the show which is heavily dependent on visual gags and comedic timing which again you won't be able to do if the animation speed is linear.
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls

Last edited by Luckyday; 10-28-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:19 PM   #65
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyday View Post
And what really gets me is hearing 2k3 has better animation.

I seriously want examples in videos. Please enlighten me.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:50 PM   #66
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I literally laughed out loud at this, so much so that I've had to explain to the rest of the staff what I'm laughing at.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #67
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I think that gif's frame rate is roughly what Rise's frame rate is. 2003 is smoother.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:36 PM   #68
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls

Last edited by Luckyday; 10-29-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:59 PM   #69
clockstomper
Thug

It's a mixture of cable dying, a piss poor timeslot and poor toy sales. I think this will find a fanbase if it's ever put on Netflix, so people can actually see it. Too late to save it, though. I myself have no way to watch it, putting the show on an app after a set number of weeks could have helped. Also, if it was anything like Power Rangers' broadcasts on Nick, it was probably highly inconsistent, sometimes disappearing for weeks, am I right? And you only had one or two chances to catch it?

I also think the timing was bad, the 2012 versions of the Turtles haven't cooled off at all, you still see merchandise and comics using those designs all over the place. The current generation of kids still fondly remember them. I think we might end up seeing that cast come back at some point once this generation has disposable income of their own, which isn't that long to be honest. A kid who was 10 when that started will be going to college soon.

Last edited by clockstomper; 10-30-2020 at 08:05 PM.
clockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #70
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockstomper View Post
I also think the timing was bad, the 2012 versions of the Turtles haven't cooled off at all, you still see merchandise and comics using those designs all over the place. The current generation of kids still fondly remember them. I think we might end up seeing that cast come back at some point once this generation has disposable income of their own, which isn't that long to be honest. A kid who was 10 when that started will be going to college soon.
I honestly wonder if the failure of this show will see the 2012 series revisited, maybe as some standalone movies.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:14 AM   #71
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Not sure about framerate between 2003 and Rise, but, in animation terms, I did see a lot of “tweening” in Rise, whereas at least the 2003 animators tried their best at drawing most if not all of the 2D frames (there was some 3D CGI thrown in as well at times). I mean, if people like Flash animations and the tweening that defines them, it’s fine by me, but it’s not what I would expect from a high end professional production, personally.

As for it being too soon after 2012, while I don’t rabidly hate Rise anymore, I’ve always had that sentiment: as a creative person myself, I know that the public needs time to cool down from a given release or else sales will be poor; that much is economics in general.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:51 AM   #72
CyberCubed
Overlord

I still maintain the 2012 series should have gotten 7 seasons and then ended, then wait 5 years and do another cartoon. Instead they just ended a show for an even less successful show with even lower ratings than the first cartoon would have gotten with two extra seasons. As said the merch/toy sales for the 2012 series was still a lot higher too.

But what's done is done. So I guess Nick will learn from this before they greenlit whatever the next TMNT cartoon is.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:36 AM   #73
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80gmrp View Post
Not sure about framerate between 2003 and Rise, but, in animation terms, I did see a lot of “tweening” in Rise, whereas at least the 2003 animators tried their best at drawing most if not all of the 2D frames (there was some 3D CGI thrown in as well at times). I mean, if people like Flash animations and the tweening that defines them, it’s fine by me, but it’s not what I would expect from a high end professional production, personally.
Was only a joke, though the amount of frames used for Rise and many other "modern" cartoons do seem notably lower than "older" shows like 2003. And agree, have long felt that cutting down on the amount of in-between frames just looks cheaper. But I suppose you get out of it what you put in...

If companies keep cutting out frames eventually cartoons will just be slideshows, won't that be fun?? /sarcasm

Comparatively, anyone know what was used to create 2003? (At least those better seasons.) I've assumed it had to be computer done itself since animation cels don't seem to exist, but presumably still hand done via computer. It's not impossible to get good looking hand drawn computer aided animation, but is doing it via Flash really so different and impossible to get the kind of look of shows like 2003? Or is the final product really just down to budget and the present trends in animation?

It's just sad to see a cheapening of animation overall.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:17 AM   #74
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post

Comparatively, anyone know what was used to create 2003? (At least those better seasons.) I've assumed it had to be computer done itself since animation cels don't seem to exist, but presumably still hand done via computer. It's not impossible to get good looking hand drawn computer aided animation, but is doing it via Flash really so different and impossible to get the kind of look of shows like 2003? Or is the final product really just down to budget and the present trends in animation?

It's just sad to see a cheapening of animation overall.
Couldnt agree more. We are going back to the 1970s era where animated cartoons on TV were seen as being for 4-7 year olds. The Batman: Animated Series revolution that suddenly made cartoons aimed at ALL AGES in thee 90's has disappeared. THANKFULLY, with Laird in charge, WE GOT a TMNT show that older TMNT fans can appreciate. But... in this climate and perhaps in the near future, 2012 and Rise is going to be as good as it gets.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:01 PM   #75
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I also gotta share a story here...

When Rise was announced I was talking with a friend and he was speculating that it might be more IDW/comic inspired and less childish. I was looking forward to it.. a lot... And then... the designs dropped and my heart dropped into my stomach. And... that was it for me. When a few praised the animation, I checked it out and it had some fluid movement but... NO! it wasnt made for me!
Old 11-14-2020, 08:18 PM   #76
Leo656
The Franchise

What beyond "wishful thinking" would have made him think any of that? Jesus. Talk about mis-calling your shot.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:33 PM   #77
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
What beyond "wishful thinking" would have made him think any of that? Jesus. Talk about mis-calling your shot.
i know... i guess when you're so desperate for the "NEW" thing to be what you want, you'll believe anything.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #78
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Supposedly the Rise float will be back for the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. Sure there's the Netflix thing coming, but you can't even find this show on tv, or the app now I guess, so why even have a float for a canceled show in a parade.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:00 PM   #79
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Supposedly the Rise float will be back for the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. Sure there's the Netflix thing coming, but you can't even find this show on tv, or the app now I guess, so why even have a float for a canceled show in a parade.
good question. it got cancelled. why would they even pay it anymore mind unless they are just trying to keep the brand out there until the next iteration?
Old 11-23-2020, 06:04 PM   #80
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Wasn't the Rise float just the 2012 float decorated? Maybe it'll be redecorated again. Or, more likely, they'll just keep pretending Rise is the hot new thing.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote