The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 05-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

What is your opinions of this movie before it comes out?

Okay, there are some people that are for this movie because they were able to fix some changes but on the other hand it still looks like it could be bad for more or less the same reasons as it's predecessor or for different reasons.

What is you guys' stances on this movie before it comes out? Why do you think it could be good, why do you think it could be bad? Do you think it will be better, just as good/bad, or worse than the last one and why?

Edit: *facepalm* impressions, I meant to say.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

One step forward, two steps back.

edit: The one step forward is that this one seems to, possibly, actually have at least one ninja in it. Maybe.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/

Last edited by Cryomancer; 05-06-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
One step forward, two steps back.
Cause opposites attract.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
DioLeo451
Hench Mutant

I think this will be miles better then the first one but obviously won't hold a candle to the original in 1990 in all honesty I didn't even care much about Tmnt in general until the current nickelodeon series (which I still haven't watched) and the 2014 movie I was very optimistic with that first film
defended everything from the casting to the action etc and the end result was cluster**** of epic proportions just an overall Bad movie I punched a whole in my wall that night The turtles were the only saving grace but everything else sucked...now here we are in 2016 and I can't deny it I'm hyped as hell for this one it could be bad it could be worse then the first but I'm hopeful and legitimately excited for it.

Last edited by DioLeo451; 05-06-2016 at 02:34 PM.
DioLeo451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
Mew
Banned

1. Turtles look better
2. Bebop, Rocksteady and Kraang look great
3. Ninja Foot
4. Baxter Stockman looks amazing
5. It seems like it won't take itself so seriously this movie
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I hope everyone looking forward to seeing it isn't disappointed.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #7
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

honestly gonna try not to be snarky in this statment.

it'll more than likely be better than the first one (pretty much anything would be) but it's still going to be bad for the same reasons as the first.

i'd ventrue to say this and the first movie would be up to 70% better if they had "correct" turtle designs. there's been a (seemingly) fool proof depection of what works and what is accepted and it hasnt been followed. it's not even practical the say they're designed.

hoping they dont get to make a 3rd one. the first had a sequel set in stone but now tht people know what they're about and have to offer hope this flops and we can get it into the hands of someone who cares.

but as said whoever likes the films hope this one makes all of your tmnt dreams come true.
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

God damn it. I had typed up a nice reply but my browser dicked me over & interpreted my hitting backspace to fix a typo as the desire to go back a page, thus deleting all that I wrote.

The short version- I think it's gonna suck for the same reasons it sucked last time, though there are signs that suggest it will be better in some respects.

Why it will suck:

Same actors/writers/designs, Casey is utterly ruined

Why it will be better:

Bebop/Rocksteady/Baxter done decently, consistent tone, allegedly more turtle/family focus

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
Vicky82
Emperor

I'm excited, it looks like it's better than the 2014 movie.

The Turtles are in it from the start and hopefully in it a lot more than the last movie.
The turtles designs are toned down.
Bebop, Rocksteady and Kraang.
Looks like more Turtle interactions.
Longer running time (thats if the Cineworld running time is correct)
Scenes are more colorful.

Last edited by Vicky82; 05-06-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #10
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Looks as bad as the first one.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

[insert hesitant sigh here]

This one's difficult. I want so much for it to be better, at least to some degree. A wide step in the right direction, if not a leap. (And keep pushing for better if they end up doing 3+ films; don't stop aiming for better.)

I'm being a kinder fan this time, for now. I'm not out on poking fun at it, but don't really want to be too critical too fast and just want them to prove that they've at least managed to raise the bar a little. Certainly not so sure about some details, it is no doubt still making some poor choices and possibly overcompensating a little too much after the first. But I'm so torn on this one because the trailers seem to suggest they've changed/improved on things that I had really hoped for with my fave boy in there so that part alone is swaying me to feel a tiny bit more optimistic for this one. Though I know it very well may come down to another case of liking certain aspects and not others, and that trailers can make something appear to be what it's not.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #12
graphic_content
Mad Scientist

i really dig the fact that the producers, and the cast have admitted that they made mistakes the first time around. a lot of them. even Megan saying that it should have never been April O' Neil the movie.

recognizing your mistakes doesn't automatically mean you'll do it better the second time around (see what I did there?), but heres hoping.

in summary, im excited, and think it will leagues better than the first. but still nowhere near as strong as Barron's film.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #13
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Okay, there are some people that are for this movie because they were able to fix some changes but on the other hand it still looks like it could be bad for more or less the same reasons as it's predecessor or for different reasons.

What is you guys' stances on this movie before it comes out? Why do you think it could be good, why do you think it could be bad? Do you think it will be better, just as good/bad, or worse than the last one and why?

Edit: *facepalm* impressions, I meant to say.
I think it's a step in the right direction, The 1st one had different tones, and the sequel they are aiming for a more lighthearted fun tone like the original cartoon, as a fan I look at the original series as a frame of reference, even though it was based on the black and white comic from Mirage, I tried to read those comics, but I wasn't feeling them, the tone wasn't fun, it was very dark.

This movie has a feeling that it's going to be fun, the kind of fun I expect when going to a big summer movie, I expect to leave the theater excited, thrilled, and happy.

If the movie was dark, you don't want to be leaving a theater feeling all depressed and somber about it, movies like these are supposed to be fun for the whole family.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #14
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I tried to read those comics, but I wasn't feeling them, the tone wasn't fun, it was very dark.
Then you didn't read enough. Like all good versions of TMNT, the Mirage comics yield an impressive range of tone and you'll find it's quite versatile.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #15
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Then you didn't read enough. Like all good versions of TMNT, the Mirage comics yield an impressive range of tone and you'll find it's quite versatile.
The tone wasn't like the original series, I was expecting something like that, but I just didn't like it, So I end up reading the TMNT comics from Archie Series, it was more to my liking, cause its just like the animated series, but going on a different direction.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #16
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The tone wasn't like the original series, I was expecting something like that.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #17
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I was expecting the same sort of tone to the cartoon, but it wasn't, the cartoon was my first exposure, that was my point of reference, The Archie Series comics was the only TMNT comics i truly liked, cause it was just like what I wanted.

some people's exposure to TMNT was the cartoon directly, they may or may not like the original comics cause its different tonally.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #18
sethmartin
Stone Warrior

If you go in with a tub of popcorn, I think it'll be a fun summer movie. I think they realized that whatever BS approach they wanted to take to reboot the series was a failed attempt. So they said F it. Let's just give them what they know. Will it be the best Turtles film? No. Will it be a great comic book movie the likes of Marvel? No. Will it even be a great movie? Probably not. It's pretty much what TMNT 3 should have been 23 years ago. So older fans like myself will be a little stoked seeing certain characters that we've been waiting years to see. The good/bad news (depending on where you stand with these films) is that they really have nowhere else to go after this. The 2014 movie was exciting because it was bringing the turtles back. This film is exciting because it's bringing in classic characters from the cartoon. But after this, what could they possibly introduce that would maintain excitement? If these films had storylines on par with Marvel, they could go forever. However, they seem to be sacrificing good stories for nostalgia, which is fun now but probably won't sustain.
sethmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #19
Galactus
Foot Elite

I know a lot of people are convinced they've really listened to fans and certainly the trailers give off the impression they've addressed the broader complaints but there's things that should be concern even to the more optimistic among us.

People are arguing that the trailers make it look like we will be getting significantly more turtle time in the movie but bare in mind all of the trailers of the last movie made it seem very turtle-centric. Putting aside whether they can afford a turtle-focused movie with the budget they have given that it's going to have a run time barely longer than the first is there even much room for the turtles given that they have to squeeze all the various other characters and concepts?

That's not even taking into account that Carmello Anthony and Alessandra Ambrosio will hog screen time. If it was just a quick cameo it would be passable but they are multiple scenes and serve no purpose than to be product placement for their respective brands. Not to mention Judith Hoag is also in multiple scenes likely serving no purpose than her mere presence trying convince fans they care about the franchise's history.

Speaking of the franchise history notice how all the trailers and TV spots are playing down Amell's Casey Jones? If fans didn't like altering the turtles origins then why continue the trend with Casey? Heck they are pretty much altering his whole persona and hoping a generally correct design will distract people to the fact that this new version is nothing like the character fans love and more like the version from the Blue Door.

The whole movie looks to follow the Blue Door including retreading parts that made it into the previous movie. I know I'm not the only person to pick up on the fact that a lot of the movie resembles the previous one. The sky diving and river scene look very much like the snow chase scene and the Krang platform fight looks just like the tower top battle with Shredder in the first movie. As much as I didn't care for the 2014 movie I will concede that both of those sequences were well done (apart from them both ending on anti climaxes) but it loses a wow factor to do them again.

The whole movie loses some wow factor by the fact the previous movie exists. I'm sure there were many non fans that went to see it because a lot of the marketing made it seem like the property was being given the same treatment as many of the comic book movies and then it was terrible. I don't think anything they've put out there will tempt them back with fan favorite characters or deliberately stupider tone. I don't think they can recover from the false start of the 2014 movie.

It's clear they have tried to address some fan concerns but in a lot of cases they haven't done enough, like the designs for example. I appreciate once the 3D models are finished there's not much that can be done but they've barely changed anything in regards to the turtles. They've also not done addressed complaints in the "right" way? Shredder was over designed? Well now he's under-designed. The movie had problems shifting it's tone from light to dark? Well get rid of any sense of darkness altogether, in fact go stupider than even the lamest episodes of the Fred Wolf series. I'm sorry but other than Tigerclaw no one wants that.

I've brought this up before but it's worth repeating that many of the last movie's staunch defenders argued vehemently that the designs were more realistic and badass and that what looked initially like a darker tone (although it really didn't turn out that way) was not only the correct way to go because it was true to the property's roots but in 2014 people expect comic book movies to be at least somewhat serious. Now these are the same people arguing ultra stupid and cartoon-like is the way to go.

Last edited by Galactus; 05-06-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #20
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I know a lot of people are convinced they've really listened to fans and certainly the trailers give off the impression they've addressed the broader complaints but there's things that should be concern even to the more optimistic among us.

People are arguing that the trailers make it look like we will be getting significantly more turtle time in the movie but bare in mind all of the trailers of the last movie made it seem very turtle-centric. Putting aside whether they can afford a turtle-focused movie with the budget they have given that it's going to have a run time barely longer than the first is there even much room for the turtles given that they have to squeeze all the various other characters and concepts?

That's not even taking into account that Carmello Anthony and Alessandra Ambrosio will hog screen time. If it was just a quick cameo it would be passable but they are multiple scenes and serve no purpose than to be product placement for their respective brands. Not to mention Judith Hoag is also in multiple scenes likely serving no purpose than her mere presence trying convince fans they care about the franchise's history.

Speaking of the franchise history notice how all the trailers and TV spots are playing down Amell's Casey Jones? If fans didn't like altering the turtles origins then why continue the trend with Casey? Heck they are pretty altering his whole persona and hoping a generally correct design will be nothing like the character fans love and more like the version from the Blue Door.

The whole movie looks to follow the Blue Door including retreading parts that made it into the previous movie. I know I'm not the only person to pick up a lot of the movie resembles the previous one. The sky diving and river scene looks very much like the snow chase scene and Krang platform fight looks just like the tower top with Shredder in the first movie. As much as I didn't care for the 2014 I will concede that both of those sequences were well done (apart from them both ending on anti climaxes) but it loses a wow factor to do them again.

The whole movie loses some wow factor by the fact the previous movie exists. I'm sure there were many non fans that went to see it because a lot of the marketing made it seem like the property was being given the same treatment as many of the comic book movies and then it was terrible. I don't think anything they've put out there will tempt them back with fan favorite characters or deliberately stupider tone. I don't think they can recover from the false start of the 2014 movie.

It's clear they have tried to address some fan concerns but in a lot of cases they haven't done enough, like the designs for example. I appreciate once the 3D models are finished there's not much that can be done but they've barely changed anything in regards to the turtles. They've also not done addressed complaints in the "right" way? Shredder was over designed? Well now he's under-designed. The movie had problems shifting it's tone from light to dark? Well get rid of any sense of darkness altogether, in fact go stupider than even the lamest episodes of the Fred Wolf series. I'm sorry but other than Tigerclaw no one wants that.

I've brought this up before but it's worth repeating that many of the last movie's staunch defenders argued vehemently that the designs were more realistic and badass and that what looked initially like a darker tone (although it really didn't turn out that way) was not only the correct way to go because it was true to the property's roots but in 2014 people expect comic book movies to be at least somewhat serious. Now these are the same people arguing ultra stupid and cartoon-like is the way to go.
This is 100% how I feel about the movie. Especially what I bolded.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote