The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 05-22-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Tales of the TMNT 46

Midtown is listing this as coming out on Thursday May 29th. Please remember that it's out on Thursday and not Wednesday. Comics are delayed next week due to Memorial Day on Monday.

Here's what ninjaturtles.com says it's about:

Quote:
"Temps" is a tale that takes place during the "City At War" story line from TMNT Volume One. This issue offers a rare look inside the life of a Foot Clan initiate who comes face to face with the organization's most deadly foes - the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Old 05-30-2008, 03:31 AM   #2
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Got it, loved it. Both Dan and Jim are on top of their games with this one. I'm sucker for periphery stories though!
Old 06-01-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm embarrassed to say... I had my girlfriend go to the comic store to get Final Crisis #1 and Green Lantern #31 and she told me on the phone, "No, you've got THREE comics!" I argued with her until I realized, "Oh... Tales of the TMNT. Right."

Awesome issue. Dan knocks it out of the park. He seems to excel in character pieces, and here's a great one. I admit, I saw the end coming but it didn't make it any less poignant.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
discordiatookie
facehugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm embarrassed to say... I had my girlfriend go to the comic store to get Final Crisis #1 and Green Lantern #31 and she told me on the phone, "No, you've got THREE comics!" I argued with her until I realized, "Oh... Tales of the TMNT. Right."
My ex used to hate picking up comics for me. She said my LCS smelled bad and they guys there were all weird. All true, but I love that place

I cant wait to pick this up. I just got paid and have about two and a half months worth of comics to buy, doubt i'll be able to afford them all, but the TMNT ones are first on the list! (then it be Invincible and Walking Dead - the rest can wait!)

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
drasgow
Foot Soldier

my comic shop didn't get it. hopefully next week.
drasgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:29 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Most comic stores don't. Set up a pull list.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:59 AM   #7
Roseangelo
Emperor

Finally got around to reading this tonight and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #8
odupianist
Mad Scientist

Mine didn't have it on Friday. Maybe this week. I know they carry Tales though.
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
drasgow
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Most comic stores don't. Set up a pull list.
i do have a pull list. but there are no good comic shops around here.
drasgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
jerome
Foot Soldier

this was indeed the best issue since tales #36.

why don't the powers that be see that the issues actually dealing with the TMNT being ninjas get the best reaction and produce more gritty ninja stories set in the the city?
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome View Post
this was indeed the best issue since tales #36.

why don't the powers that be see that the issues actually dealing with the TMNT being ninjas get the best reaction and produce more gritty ninja stories set in the the city?
Because TPTB are only concerned about selling crap to kids and/or telling stories about aliens and dinosaurs and motorcycles. Ninjas? We don't need no freakin' ninjas!

/snide remark
Old 06-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #12
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Meh I thought it was just ok, I think some differnt art would have helped me enjoy this a bit more, I hate Jim's humans.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:35 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent View Post
Meh I thought it was just ok, I think some differnt art would have helped me enjoy this a bit more, I hate Jim's humans.
I don't want to jump on the Lawson lynch wagon, but I have to agree. Unless we throw a helping of duotones atop him or give him a solid inker... it pulls me out a bit.

He sticks to his guns, I have to give him that. And I don't begrudge him one iota of respect for being one of the forefathers of TMNT... not far behind Pete and Kev themselves.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:56 PM   #14
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
I don't want to jump on the Lawson lynch wagon, but I have to agree. Unless we throw a helping of duotones atop him or give him a solid inker... it pulls me out a bit.

He sticks to his guns, I have to give him that. And I don't begrudge him one iota of respect for being one of the forefathers of TMNT... not far behind Pete and Kev themselves.
Did you note that they did use a different inker (or two, I believe) this time?

What's interesting about this is that because this issue is set within CAW, you can actually go and make fair comparisons to Jim's CAW work. Despite the new inkers this issue, the lines are still far, far bolder than they ever were during CAW (or even volume 2). As for the humans... I don't even know what to say about it. It did stand out a bit here... awkward chins, long necks, square noses... nothing particularly new to Jim's recent work, but what happened to the detail and overall betterness we saw in CAW?

It's tough to be critical of his work, because I love what he's capable of and I love what he's contributed to the whole of the TMNT. Sometimes I think it's just not putting the same amount of time and effort into it as he used to. Sometimes I don't know if it's even that. The one thing I do know is that TMNT desperately needs people to be giving 100%, so I hope Jim can at least honestly say that he is.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:38 AM   #15
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Trust me, when you see his workspace, you realise immediately that Jim is an extremely hard working dude. At the moment I think he's juggling something like 3 or 4 issues of Tales that I know of, along with the ongoing and all four issues of the Mike mini. Then he's also doing art at his con appearances and other commission jobs on the side...

Add to that, he does write the odd issue, and work inks, so the man's giving everything he's got. You've got to remember, back when he was working on CAW, that was it, it was just the one title he could give 100 percent to. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's not still giving 100 percent, because I know that he is, it's just spread across a lot more titles.

There were actually four inkers working on this issue too. Dan, Mike, Eric and Gary Fields. It's interesting seeing the slight differences in the different pages.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #16
Roseangelo
Emperor

Well then my question would be why is Jim carrying all of these books instead of other artists? I'd love to see him be able to give 100% to a single book again.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:04 AM   #17
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Well, Jim's a full time artist. The Turtles are his thing, and when you've got a family to feed you gotta do what you can.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #18
Ninjinister
無問題

Okay, it'll be a while before I get my hands on this issue, if at all, so someone please make with the spoilers!
Old 06-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #19
Venom
Space Knight

OK, ready?

Spoiler:
Set in the midst of "City at War", we get the story of a young man named Tomi going on his initiation trial to join the Foot. His mother disapproves, as his father was a Foot soldier killed in duty, and would rather him use his talents and pursue a career in music; however, young Tomi is eager to join the ranks of the Foot, since it is "family tradition."

He dons his fathers gear and sets off for his first adventure with the brotherhood. Once at the location he is briefed that tonight they will be ambushing their foes, whom they have been spying on.

Unbeknownst to the Foot, though, is the Turtles have been tracking them as well. Keeping one step ahead of the Foot, the guys set themselves up for confrontation on a rooftop. Raph gets antsy wanting to kick some ass -er, Foot, Leo and Don keep busy on reconaissance, while Mike keeps an eye out for danger.

The moment of truth for the new recruits occur as their leader commands them to strike! They pour over the rooftop's edges and the battle ensues. Leo tells the guys not to get too overconfident although they are up against rookies, while Don and Mike pop a few heads. The climax happens when Raph is up against two soldiers - Tomi and an unnamed sentry. Two others ambush Raph and hold him as one commands Tomi to kill the beast. Tomi is somewhat in a daze in awe and wonderment as to what these creatures are but quickly snaps to his senses and charges toward Raph with his sword held high. Raph throws the two Foot soldiers pinning him down over his head. Mike calls out for Raph to look behind him and he rolls to the side just in time to miss being sliced in half! The young Foot then takes another slice through the air as Raph ducks and comes up, delivering the fatal blow to Tomi's chest.

Afterward Leo sends out the command to scatter, and the Turtles disappear thanks to Mikey finally getting to use a smoke bomb. Later the Foot soldiers gather around Tomi's lifeless body, the only casualty in their latest skirmish with the "abominations". Two soldiers deliver his corpse, in a bodybag, to his mother's apartment and lie him on the floor. They tell her he died in battle with honor, like his father. Then the cycle begins anew as Tomi's little brother vows to his sobbing mom that he'll "get the guy that did this to Tomi."
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #20
Venom
Space Knight

Hey, I just thought - they way Raph dispatched that Foot soldier kid was very reminiscent of the cover to #36. Wonder if that was
Spoiler:
Tomi
?
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic discussion, tales of the tmnt