The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Tales of the TMNT 59

According to Mirage on Facebook this is out Wednesday June 17th.

Quote:
"Exposé" - Journalist Lauren Stanton investigates the suspicious circumstances surrounding the early release of notorious criminal Hunter (Hun) Mason from prison and its connection to the mysterious Foot Clan. As Stanton delves deeper into New York City's underworld, she'll discover unfathomable evil lurking in the darkness and her only hope to escape might not be entirely human...

Critically acclaimed creators Tristan Jones and Paul Harmon return to further explore the seedier side of the Mirage Universe, introducing an insidious new villain and giving readers a fresh look at the TMNT themselves. A perfect jumping on point for new readers!
Old 06-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
DonatelloFan
"The Pixel Dad"

It seems everytime I read anything about new issues of any of the TMNT comics, it always says "It's a great jumping-on point for new readers". Now come on, EVERY issue can't be a great jumping on point.

It's just something I've noticed. Now that being said, I'm trying to get into the comics, starting with the Mirage Vol. 1 and Archie's.

Tales never really appealed to me, so I may be just spouting off, but these are just some things I was thinking about.
DonatelloFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

You sure you weren't just reading more stuff about this issue? As far as I remember, the only solicitations to use "perfect jumping on point for new readers" was this one and the upcoming collected book.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
junkboy
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanHuwJones View Post
You sure you weren't just reading more stuff about this issue? As far as I remember, the only solicitations to use "perfect jumping on point for new readers" was this one and the upcoming collected book.
Seconded...
Old 06-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
Cipher
Foot Elite

Planning my next trip to the comic shop around this. Going to wait until the weekend and pick this up along with a few back issues, the TMNT Adventures trade, and whatever other Volume 1, 3, Adventures and special issues they've acquired since I last went.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, looks like it's out today. It's literally the only comic I'd be interested in this week, so I probably won't get it until next.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
Cipher
Foot Elite

Got it today. Makes my list of favorites. I have bestowed high praise upon this book!

EDIT--

And, hot of the heals of adapting Hun, Tristan gives yet another pre-existing TMNT character the Mirage treatment. Blink twice and you'll miss it. Andrew NDB, you will be so outraged. He's just shoehorned right in there and everything. A crime against originality!

Last edited by Cipher; 06-18-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

HAHA! Thanks Cipher!

If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, it wasn't supposed to happen! It was a name I used as a filler, but after my computer died I had to re-piece the script together from various email drafts and notes, and that name was used in the earlier drafts.
Spoiler:

We're talking the EIC here, right?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Spoiler:

We're talking the EIC here, right?
Spoiler:
Yes. Yes we are. Pretty subtle though; his name's not even stated all at once. I just happen to have the discerning eye of a hawk. Caw.

And who's cracking down on language in the book? Is it up to the author? Dan? Peter? Self-censorship seems kind of lame.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Got it today. Makes my list of favorites. I have bestowed high praise upon this book!

EDIT--

And, hot of the heals of adapting Hun, Tristan gives yet another pre-existing TMNT character the Mirage treatment. Blink twice and you'll miss it. Andrew NDB, you will be so outraged. He's just shoehorned right in there and everything. A crime against originality!
Your sarcasm is so thick I could scoop it up with a spoon... but I'll have to read and judge, of course.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #11
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Your sarcasm is so thick I could scoop it up with a spoon...
You make sarcasm sound so delicious....mmmmmm
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #12
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

This was a pretty good issue!!! I chuckled at the name of Lauren Stanton's boss.
Spoiler:
Lesse... a red headed reporter not named April and has a boss named Charles...
. So looks like the turtles have kinda a new friend.

The only thing that confused me was the time period. This is set shortly after CAW and yet Lauren has a camera phone.

Also something I found interesting
Spoiler:
The turtles are unregistered heroes! I guess the SRA happened in the Mirage universe. *lol* I beleive they're registered in Vol 4 tho...kinda have to be to be treated at the Super hero hospital.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:04 AM   #13
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

[QUOTE=Raph's Girl;699632]This was a pretty good issue!!! I chuckled at the name of Lauren Stanton's boss.
Spoiler:
. So looks like the turtles have kinda a new friend.[/SPOILER]

I put in a pitch a few weeks ago where she serves a much more functional role assisting the Turtles. Hopefully it gets picked up. I put four stories forward, and it doesn't look likely that any of them will go forward, but that one in particular was one I was really excited about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
The only thing that confused me was the time period. This is set shortly after CAW and yet Lauren has a camera phone.
Peeps need to stop adhering to our own reality. Imagine where we'd be now if we had Mousers in 1984 or nanotechnology like Baxter's? Dates + Comics = FAIL.

Quote:
Also something I found interesting
Spoiler:
The turtles are unregistered heroes! I guess the SRA happened in the Mirage universe. *lol* I beleive they're registered in Vol 4 tho...kinda have to be to be treated at the Super hero hospital.
Well, the "vigilantes" that saved Miller and Whitmire back in #36 are don't show up in any of the files.
Spoiler:
Meaning they're new or just very good AND unregistered. It'd make sense. If you had superheros working within the United States and operating with the authorities, there'd have to be some sort of recognition of their status as law enforcers. The Metalhead, Zippy Lad, Radical, etc., they'd all be registered in my mind, and then Casey, Nobody... dudes operating outside of the law essentially, wouldn't be. Something similar to the SRA.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:28 AM   #14
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I think you might've missed the single mention of his last name, though, which is what the earlier banter in this thread was about.

Quote:
Utroms did it.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:04 AM   #15
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Peeps need to stop adhering to our own reality. Imagine where we'd be now if we had Mousers in 1984 or nanotechnology like Baxter's? Dates + Comics = FAIL.
I don't minde techonlogical anachronisms, but one that pissed me off was The Simpsons reference in Worms of Madness.

Last edited by ToTheNines; 06-19-2009 at 04:37 PM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #16
Not So Teenage Terd-le
Random Punk

This was my first purchase of a Tales of the TMNT issue that was not in a back bin. After going to two different places on Wednesday (including Frank and Sons which is a HUGE toy and comic show held every week with tons of dealers) and one more place on Thursday, I finally found it! I did not know if I should be mad that I was driving around wasting gas and time to find a 3 dollar comic book... but I guess that is half the fun. When is the last time you have had to hunt down a mainstream book.... not as rewarding....
anyway, I really liked the issue, I thought it was cute (apologies if you were not going for that) and I like the heavy use of vulgar language. Keep up the good work!!
Not So Teenage Terd-le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #17
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Utroms did it.
I'm so using this as a catch all from now on.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #18
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Spoiler:
Yes. Yes we are. Pretty subtle though; his name's not even stated all at once. I just happen to have the discerning eye of a hawk. Caw.

And who's cracking down on language in the book? Is it up to the author? Dan? Peter? Self-censorship seems kind of lame.
Dan. The only bleeped words were sh!t and f#ck on my end.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #19
Ninjinister
無問題

Grrr.... I was out and about today and stopped by my CBG's place... nothing. It's really weird that sometimes my issues of Tales will be in the same week they're released, others, like a week or two late, but sometimes not at all. I'm hoping that this is not a case of the latter. I've actually gotten every one of Tristan's issues thus far from the store, so (knock on wood) everything should be all right.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:50 AM   #20
discordiatookie
facehugger

Oh man Tristan, congratulations again on yet another awesome issue!

And to Paul too, for putting out some brilliant artwork!

Spoiler:
I especially like how the story was about some reporter getting in deeper and deeper in things, with the turtles having little more than cameo appearances in their own book. Their in it for what, like barely a third of the book? Great stuff...

This made me laugh: "You're on your own against like... flying sharks with fists for teeth, though. And Ewoks. I hate Ewoks." Ever seen the Mighty Boosh Tristan? This reminds me slighty of two things from it - the saying from the first series "Coming atcha like a shark with knees!" and the character Mickey the Fist - who is a boxer with fists for a face.

This chilled me: Lauren being surrounded by King Cobra, Hun and Lin, all looking down on her.

When I first saw 'Charles' I had a wee chuckle. Then later on when I saw his surname - aaaw man that was great!

The bookmarks on her computer look very familiar to me... All she really had to do was click on any one of them in the first place and she coulda saved herself one helluva lotta bother in her investigations...

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic discussion, tales of the tmnt