The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-02-2023, 04:52 AM   #81
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Yeah, Cavill was a good Superman but every movie he was in was just way too somber. They want a new energy going forward it seems

I still am curious about how they're gonna do this "soft reboot" of the DCEU since a handful of actors will be continuing their roles but most won't
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:08 AM   #82
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
Though truthfully, BvS cost a **** more to make and sunk like a rock in the following weeks. TDKR followed one of the biggest movies of all time in TDK.

The Batman came off the stink of those terrible Snyder films while doing its own thing in a time too where theater attendance wasn't a surefire thing if your movie wasn't Marvel.

Exactly. Only people who don’t understand box office try to make the argument for BvS being more successful than The Batman. Theatrical window, production budget, IP involved, whether it’s an established series or a new take, etc

He doesn’t take this stuff into account. Andrew repeats this point quite often, then gets push back, and waits a few months before saying it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
Yeah, I don't understand the confusion either. Seemed pretty f*cking straightforward.
Extremely straightforward. Only a couple people here struggled with knowing what was actually on the slate before throwing a tantrum about it. Bizarre, man.

I think WB has just, somewhat understandably, become a hotbed for many people. They could announce anything today and there’d be people screaming at them for whatever the last regime unceremoniously did.

Last edited by AquaParade; 02-02-2023 at 05:15 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:02 PM   #83
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So basically if The Flash is a hit and people love Sasha Calle's Supergirl, she'll probably be Supergirl in the Supergirl movie.

https://comicbookmovie.com/the-flash...gs.0dce.owrvdl
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:41 PM   #84
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Yeah, Cavill was a good Superman but every movie he was in was just way too somber. They want a new energy going forward it seems

I still am curious about how they're gonna do this "soft reboot" of the DCEU since a handful of actors will be continuing their roles but most won't
They have a guy like Snyder but they put him in charge of a solo Superman flick, but not a solo Batman flick. Weird.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:13 AM   #85
AquaParade
Banned

James Gunn says no DC film will be rushed:

"We are not going to put hundreds of millions of dollars into a film where a screenplay is only two-thirds of the way done and we have to finish it while we’re making the movie... it's a mess."

Thank goodness for this one. Guy really learned not to follow the weaknesses of the MCU it seems, because he also said something about having films that “actually feel different”, rather than films that just pretend to be different genres.

These have been two of my major complaints with the MCU for a while now. Wonderful to hear he’s not taking that approach.

I mean, if he didn’t seem so close to Feige, I’d think he’s out for blood, because a lot of these approaches he’s boasting are in opposition to what the MCU has clearly been doing.

That plus the slate Gunn has chosen, which is right up my alley, and I almost couldn’t be more thrilled.

Only downside for me is I’ve never been able to stay fully engaged with one of Gunn’s films. The humor doesn’t click with me. James Mangold is one of the best picks you can get for Swamp Thing though, so as long as the strong directors keep coming in, we’ll be golden.

I’m happy to say one of the reasons I was looking forward to Gunn taking over is the fact that directors will want to work with a guy like him who understands their perspective. That’s looking to be true.

Supposedly there is a “big name” director also on the slate but they didn’t announce the project because the director is notoriously slow. Very interesting. Who’s a big name that’s known for being slow? Quite a few of them, really. Any guesses?

Here’s my next prediction: we are going to see quite a few MCU directors step aboard this train. It’s going to be their chance to make a superhero movie in a similar but -ideally - better environment. Gunn already formed relationships with some of these people, so the ground is laid.

I would not be surprised to see the Russo bros, Scott Derickson, Edgar Wright, or maybe even Favreau if we are lucky. Anyone from that side of the fence is a strong possibility imo. Especially anyone who had a project go south over at Marvel. This is their redemption, following in the footsteps of Gunn.

Last edited by AquaParade; 02-03-2023 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-04-2023, 04:49 PM   #86
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I wasted my time/life watching this so I thought I'd torture you with it as well:

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 05:57 PM   #87
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Gunn really has the mad scientist look going.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:44 PM   #88
Dpooly84
Banned

He looks like the mayor of whoville lol
Dpooly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:47 AM   #89
AquaParade
Banned

Out of this whole slate, I think The Authority adaption is the one I am most looking forward to or at least curious to hear more about. I feel lucky to have the first issue in nm condition. Very cool series. Sort of a mix between “The Boys” and “Justice League”.

It’s a hugely influential comic. The book was known for birthing the trend of “widescreen comics”, which is basically a comic book visual style that’s highly cinematic, slick and epic in scope. The Authority’s success directly led to Marvel doing “The Ultimates” comic (same artist - Bryan Hitch, same tone), which was a huge influence on the MCU.
It all comes full-circle.

Second to that is Superman. I’m a huge fan of Man of Steel but I’m excited to see a different angle on it. Especially with Morrison’s influence. Compared to Man of Steel, it could sort of be the “yin” to that “yang”. I like moody Superman and poppy Superman. I’ll take both. I’ve been dying to see another great Superman film for a while.

Third is definitely Swamp Thing, which would probably be higher a few years ago, but some of the itch was scratched when the HBO show directly adapted the Moore comics. It wasn’t perfect by any means but it scratched an itch, if that makes sense. I probably just need to see a trailer later on and my excitement will shoot right back up.

And then there is Brave and the Bold, which rounds out the last of my list.
I’m definitely not sick of Batman, and the fact that they are adapting Morrison’s work, in a sense, is more than I could have reasonably asked for, but we’re getting it. The only caveat is I’m spoiled with Batman stuff and variety is the spice of life.

As for the rest of the list, I can’t be bothered to even remember what it is at the moment. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with it, I just don’t care about the other projects as of now. The Batman part 2 and Joker part 2 are also about as high as possible but I’m just talking about the Gunn stuff right now.

All that said, this list will probably change drastically once the creative teams come together. At the end of the day, the artists themselves are going to play a bigger role in my enjoyment than what characters they are working with. Execution is 99% of the job.

Last edited by AquaParade; 02-10-2023 at 05:19 AM.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:08 AM   #90
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm mostly looking forward to seeing "The Batman Part 2" getting slapped with the big "ELSEWORLDS" logo that Gunn says it supposedly will get slapped with. And then me probably not watching the movie.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:24 AM   #91
AquaParade
Banned

I'm looking forward to the logo too. I'm glad they are doing multiverse stuff. We need different flavors of comic book films. MCU became too homogenized.

Should be interesting to see how general audiences react to Brave and the Bold vs Batman Part 2.

"Brave and the Bold" is a Batman movie, for anyone who didn't read the slate. I wonder if there will be a big fan divide between the two different films. All depends for now, but yeah it will be interesting if nothing else.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:32 AM   #92
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Honestly, I'm really curious what Gunn has in mind for the DCEU Batman. I saw potential in the Affleck Batman eventually hitting that sweet spot between Burton and Nolan with the door open for more comic accurate and larger-than-life stuff to show up so the coming of The Batman definitely made for a little bit of mourning of that. But this? This could could be even better. Particularly with Grant Morrison being the big influence for all of this. Morrison's Batman run in particular is phenomenal. The idea of getting that Batman, on the screen? Wowzers.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:44 AM   #93
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Honestly, I'm really curious what Gunn has in mind for the DCEU Batman. I saw potential in the Affleck Batman eventually hitting that sweet spot between Burton and Nolan with the door open for more comic accurate and larger-than-life stuff to show up so the coming of The Batman definitely made for a little bit of mourning of that. But this? This could could be even better. Particularly with Grant Morrison being the big influence for all of this. Morrison's Batman run in particular is phenomenal. The idea of getting that Batman, on the screen? Wowzers.
That's what I'm feeling. Morrison's Batman is incredible. I'd love to see The Black Glove, Dick as Batman, Flamingo, etc.
It's a completely off-the-wall, cerebral take on Batman, but it's unlike any Batman we've seen on-screen before. It celebrates the history of the character and embraces the heightened reality that many fans seem to be craving in the wake of both Nolan and Reeve's grounded takes. I still appreciate the grounded version of Batman but I'm also ready for something else.

Who knows if we will actually see those other elements aside from his version of Robin, but Gunn is probably the only guy who was ever going to be in the position and right mindset to attempt it.

It's really hard to grasp what it will be like until we at least know the director though. If they do go all in on the Morrison influence, It's interesting to think about who would be the appropriate director for something like that.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:46 AM   #94
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It has to be Matthew Vaughn. Right? lol, Guy Ritchie maybe?
Old 02-10-2023, 10:47 AM   #95
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
It has to be Matthew Vaughn. Right?
That's a very interesting proposition. I have to mull on who I'd think it could be, be but that's better than any realistic suggestion I can think of at the moment.

Edit: Maybe Sam Raimi? He recently expressed desire to do Batman, which I'm letting influence me, but he also has a great take on slightly gothic but still colorful material. I can see him doing Batman RIP. Vaughn is good choice too and probably wants to do it. Who doesn't want to do Batman, for that matter.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:53 AM   #96
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
That's a very interesting proposition. I have to mull on who I'd think it could be, be but that's better than any realistic suggestion I can think of at the moment.

Edit: Maybe Sam Raimi? He recently expressed desire to do Batman, which I'm letting influence me, but he also has a great take on slightly gothic but still colorful material. I can see him doing Batman RIP. Vaughn is good choice too and probably wants to do it. Who doesn't want to do Batman, for that matter.
That's if "Multiverse of Madness" hasn't soured him on doing big budget comic book movies entirely. Which is likely. Also, that movie was BAD. If anyone could possibly woo him, though, it'd be someone like Gunn.

I remember Vaughn circling around Superman in the past, but it never happened. Hell, maybe he ends up doing Superman: Legacy yet.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:58 AM   #97
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
That's if "Multiverse of Madness" hasn't soured him on doing big budget comic book movies entirely. Which is likely. Also, that movie was BAD. If anyone could possibly woo him, though, it'd be someone like Gunn.

I remember Vaughn circling around Superman in the past, but it never happened. Hell, maybe he ends up doing Superman: Legacy yet.
I've tried finishing that movie like three times and I love Sam Raimi. Can't do it.

I think it's likely that soured him but I think it's just as possible he would want a chance to do another one, where he actually has a bit of agency. I believe it was during the MoM press tour, that he basically told Warner Bros to hit him up for Batman. Holy grail character, so he'd probably do it if they asked.

Vaughn was definitely close to doing Superman. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on Legacy.
Old 02-11-2023, 01:31 AM   #98
Sumac
Banned

Are we talkin about grounded take or more comic book-like?
Because, in the first case, I am not sure, if Raimi is a good figure for a grounded version.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 02:21 AM   #99
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Are we talkin about grounded take or more comic book-like?
Because, in the first case, I am not sure, if Raimi is a good figure for a grounded version.
Not grounded. The grounded people can be sated with more Pattinson zipping around Gotham in his $300 squirrel suit in the Matt Reeves Elseworlds stuff.

But not TOO fantastical, I hope. As long as there's room for a monstrous Killer Croc, a Bane using venom that isn't retarded, Mr. Freeze and the presence of actual Lazarus Pits and the like, I'm happy.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:16 AM   #100
AquaParade
Banned

If we are going by Morrison’s Batman, which is what Gunn has been referencing, it will be rather fantastical. But fantastical in a sort of psychedelic way. I’m not holding my breath for Gunn to adapt more than just Damian, but if so, **** will get weird.

Even when Morrison is grounding the more fantastical elements of the comics, it’s still very inventive and mind bending.
One of the elements of his Batman story is that Bruce basically creates/self-programs a backup personality/mental operating system of himself to take over for his surface consciousness, should it ever be incapacitated.
When Bruce is inevitably incapacitated, you get to see Batman without the humanity of Bruce Wayne - and he runs around in a purple & yellow suit. It’s wild stuff.

Morrison also has him facing an enemy who claims to be Thomas Wayne back from the dead, then possibly the devil, etc. There are many mysteries and hard to explain events.

We see Dick Grayson take over as Batman for a bit. There is a future timeline in which we see Damian taking over as Batman. Much of it is focused on legacy of the character. Accounting for much of his history, recontextualizing it, then looking towards the future.

Then he also just does stuff like fight ninja-man-bats. So it’s definitely rooted in the heightened-reality side of Batman stories. Sometimes it’s bombastic “Justice League fantastical” and sometimes it’s more akin to something you’d get from Stanley Kubrick or David Lynch.

All in all, it’s really hard to imagine Morrison’s work being adapted to film. If he only picks up elements like Damian, I won’t be surprised. Either way, I’m sure it’ll still lean into the zanier side of Batman.

I think Raimi could absolutely nail the Dick and Damian era of the Batman comics, but who knows if they’ll even get to that.

Last edited by AquaParade; 02-11-2023 at 06:23 AM.

Tags
aquaparade goes nuts