The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-20-2022, 05:36 PM   #3461
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

But not "lost" like it was taken from them, right? i.e., they paid for the license for a certain amount of time or number of projects and then just chose not to seek to renew it, yeah?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:59 PM   #3462
hypered1
Mad Scientist

I'd heard that it was put on hold after the 'Year One' mini-series until 'Afterlife' released in cinemas so that the next mini-series could tie into it but then of course the movie was delayed by a year.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:13 PM   #3463
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
But not "lost" like it was taken from them, right? i.e., they paid for the license for a certain amount of time or number of projects and then just chose not to seek to renew it, yeah?
If my memory is correct it was IDW that let the license lapse. It sounded like the Ghostbusters folk were big fans of the IDW comics and wanted to do more. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised if IDW ended up doing more GB comics at some point, if they thought they could do so in a profitable way. That's what ended up happening with Godzilla.

But I was never closely involved with Ghostbusters outside the two TMNT crossovers so I may have some facts wrong.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:00 PM   #3464
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

That's too bad. I'd have probably bought some kind of Ghostbusters Afterlife prequel (what's going on with the guys), side-quel (maybe actually showing Ray rounding up the guys, that wasn't seen in the movie), or a sequel comics.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:23 AM   #3465
martinitolove
Foot Soldier

Thank you Bobby for your answers. A pity. I think outside of Tom Waltz' TMNT, Ghostbusters was the best thing IDW ever produced. I hope one day they will continue with the license, as Afterlife was quite enjoyable!

By the way is there a similar forum/discord as theTechnodrome is for Ghostbusters?
martinitolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:43 PM   #3466
CyberCubed
Overlord

Bobby are you continuing to read/follow IDW TMNT even though you no longer work on the book? I suppose there is some curiosity where the story will go after the last story pitches/ideas you saw. I hope the series reaches at least issue 200 before it ends
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 03:33 PM   #3467
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinitolove View Post

By the way is there a similar forum/discord as theTechnodrome is for Ghostbusters?
i'm sure there is, but i'm not familiar with it!
Old 04-23-2022, 03:34 PM   #3468
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Bobby are you continuing to read/follow IDW TMNT even though you no longer work on the book? I suppose there is some curiosity where the story will go after the last story pitches/ideas you saw. I hope the series reaches at least issue 200 before it ends
Yeah, I'm keeping up to date!
Old 04-27-2022, 06:43 AM   #3469
neatoman
Emperor

So I finished Last Ronin, kudos on being part of making such a solid story!

I have a question about the ending, was it always intended to have a "to be continued" at the end or was this added later on?
Spoiler:
I also noticed that the baby turtles all seem to be different species, was there any talk about which ones they should be?
And do you have names for the little ones yet?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 10:52 AM   #3470
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So I finished Last Ronin, kudos on being part of making such a solid story!

I have a question about the ending, was it always intended to have a "to be continued" at the end or was this added later on?
Spoiler:
I also noticed that the baby turtles all seem to be different species, was there any talk about which ones they should be?
And do you have names for the little ones yet?
The last sequence was the intended end at least since it was being worked on in "modern" times. Tom and Kevin may have answers to those spoiler questions but I don't, sorry!
Old 04-29-2022, 11:54 AM   #3471
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Was there any blowback from Nick at any point in time about any aspect of "Last Ronin"? Was anything asked to be toned down or redone, on any level?
Old 04-29-2022, 02:07 PM   #3472
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Was there any blowback from Nick at any point in time about any aspect of "Last Ronin"? Was anything asked to be toned down or redone, on any level?
I would say there were two or three instances in the first couple issues where things were toned down a bit. I recall there was one flashback panel where Ben had a Foot guy's head chopped in two. Nickelodeon said that was a bit much and we obscured things a bit so it's clear he's getting his head chopped but not as vividly.

But then Joan Hilty left Nickelodeon around issue 4 and after that I don't think we got any notes of that nature. I think issues 4 and 5 are pretty much untouched by Nickelodeon, though I could be forgetting something small.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:26 PM   #3473
neatoman
Emperor

Yeah, Mike is very clearly killing people in issue 5, is that something Nickelodeon was cool with or did it take some convincing?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:39 PM   #3474
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Yeah, Mike is very clearly killing people in issue 5, is that something Nickelodeon was cool with or did it take some convincing?
And does this represent a shift in Nick's general policies about the TMNT's portrayal in places like IDW, do you think? Or is it just "We're making a one time exception, because of the nature of this project" in regard to "Last Ronin"?
Old 04-29-2022, 04:56 PM   #3475
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
I would say there were two or three instances in the first couple issues where things were toned down a bit. I recall there was one flashback panel where Ben had a Foot guy's head chopped in two. Nickelodeon said that was a bit much and we obscured things a bit so it's clear he's getting his head chopped but not as vividly.

But then Joan Hilty left Nickelodeon around issue 4 and after that I don't think we got any notes of that nature. I think issues 4 and 5 are pretty much untouched by Nickelodeon, though I could be forgetting something small.
Stop doubting my powers of knowledge, Andrew.

Next, ask him how involved Kevin was and see what he says. :p

Quote:
And does this represent a shift in Nick's general policies about the TMNT's portrayal in places like IDW, do you think? Or is it just "We're making a one time exception, because of the nature of this project" in regard to "Last Ronin"?
Good Q.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:42 PM   #3476
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Stop doubting my powers of knowledge, Andrew.

Next, ask him how involved Kevin was and see what he says. :p
Yeah, yeah.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:54 PM   #3477
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Besides Joan there were a couple other important management people at Nickelodeon who are no longer at the company. I could very easily see a shift where greater violence is allowed if the new folks are interested in moving in that direction. The last issue of the ongoing I was surprised how graphic some of it was, seemed like some of that would have been sent back during an earlier time. Maybe they're learning that what happens in the comics doesn't have a direct correlation with how kids will perceive whatever is going on in the cartoon of the day.

But at the same time institutional inertia can be pretty well baked into a company. It really depends if the people in charge want to make a big change.

In short, I don't know but it's a question I'm interested in seeing unfold too!
Old 04-30-2022, 07:00 PM   #3478
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
No, they didn't really have any problem with it that I recall, not in a major way. Which is frustrating to me personally as I lobbied hard for a Turtle to kill in #100 and was denied!
Old 04-30-2022, 11:53 PM   #3479
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Ah, makes sense. It's less a company-wide allowance as much as it is... the people that were saying "no" have left and now there's new people who don't say anything at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
No, they didn't really have any problem with it that I recall, not in a major way. Which is frustrating to me personally as I lobbied hard for a Turtle to kill in #100 and was denied!
Going back a ways, during the "Dark Leo" days of IDW... was there a push to allow at least Leo to kill, but Nick wouldn't allow it then either?
Old 05-03-2022, 09:56 AM   #3480
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

It's more "do the people who are at Nickelodeon currently have a reason to change the company inertia" concerning the subject. Is the amount of money that the company might make from a more violent product worth possible complaints from parents and a downturn in other markets?"\ I think it's a dumb debate, not enough people read the comics for it to affect anything one way or another, but I think that's the crux of the matter.

Concerning Dark Leo, I don't really remember. Not a strong push at least. The idea was more that Leo was moving towards that "killer" eventuality and the other Turtles had to stop what was going on before that happened. We may have wanted Leo to be more violent than we were allowed during that time. I don't remember that storyline being changed in a massive way other than we proposed that Leo actually be Shredder's son (in feudal Japan and Leo finds out the truth in modern day). Nickelodeon thought that opened too many 'icky' doors between Saki and Shen. I don't really see what's icky about them being in a relationship and then Shen leaving when Saki turns out to be a colossal murderous jerk and going to Yoshi, though I can see how it's not as 'clean' of an origin story if the Turtles don't all have the same father or father figure. But anyway, that's the only thing I really remember being different than intended in that storyline but I could be forgetting.

I don't think Tom or I ever really wanted the Turtles to be killing all the time... I would have liked to see them do it sparingly, in essential, dramatically important situations, like in #100. Maybe the company will move in that direction now, but I don't know.

Tags
bobby curnow, idw, idw's tmnt, questions, tom waltz