The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #101
Leo656
The Franchise

So... they're gonna make the movie copy the crummy CW mini-series and cram the entire concept into two hours before we've even really "met" or seen much of this Flash? Ohhhh-kay, that's certainly one thing they can do.

As usual, I feel like DC/WB is overreaching. We don't even know who "Movie Flash" really IS, yet - we haven't seen his origins on-screen, we know almost nothing about him as a person and if they have to recast Ezra Miller then that's even more cans of worms. I know they're in a rush to "soft reboot" everything, but I feel like it's a waste to cram ALL of that into the Very First Flash Movie, when that should entirely be about Barry, who he is, how he got his powers, how they work, etc. Keep in mind, this character's never even had ONE movie to himself, and now he's gonna be a "guest star" in his own flick while we revisit a bunch of stuff from older DC movies and TV shows just for the sake of 'Member Berries? Dumb.

Keaton would be a great cameo and I don't even hate the idea of this Multiverse exploration, but it's too much for the FIRST Flash movie, is all. Second one, or, preferably, the third one? Fine. More than fine. This is Too Soon to be going so "big", is all. Cavill's Superman had his own movie before they added Guest Stars. Wonder Woman's solo movie wasn't crammed with cameos. Aquaman, same thing. Let the Flash movie JUST be about The Flash before we relegate him to Supporting Cast, y'know?

Ideally, I'd have the first Flash movie be the origin and maybe have Zoom, but even that might be best saved until later. Plant seeds for the Rogues, maybe have some of the Generic Bad Guys he stops when he first gets his powers turn vengeful, get gimmicks and form a pact in the Mid-Credits scene. Second movie would be Rise of the Rogues. Third movie could be all the time travel/Multiverse stuff.

I'unno. I'm not against the idea, just the incredibly rushed and transparently desperate execution. But hey... WB. "Incredibly Rushed and Transparently Desperate" is literally ALL they know how to do.

A Keaton cameo would be a hell of a get, though. Just... geez, wait five f*cking minutes before jumping into the Time Travel/Parallel worlds stuff. Just because they did it on TV last year - poorly - doesn't mean we need to jump there in the movies with no set-up or context. Geez.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #102
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Michael Keaton is in talks to reprise the role of Batman in the movie.

https://www.thewrap.com/batman-retur...e-flash-movie/
As long as Ruby Rose's batwoman doesn't kill him by pushing him into a computer like she did Kevin Conroy's batman in Crisis on Infinite Earths I will be happy

Also
Borys Kit
@Borys_Kit
?
22m
If these talks make, sources say Keaton could end up playing Batman in a mentor capacity, a bit like Sam Jackson's Nick Fury, and appear in multiple movies. BATGIRL is one of the possible projects.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #103
AquaParade
Banned

Keaton returning as Batman is beyond cool...on paper. If it ends up being just a glorified cameo, I'll catch it on Youtube. it's hard for me to think of how they could do something meaningful with his return in a Flash movie but I'm definitely open to the idea.

Now you have to wonder if if they also asked Ben and Christian, both who seem less likely to return at this point in time, imo.

Last edited by AquaParade; 06-22-2020 at 01:06 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #104
Leo656
The Franchise

I think Ben would return If and Only If he was allowed to finish the story Zack laid out, which would have ended with him sacrificing himself to stop Darkseid. That entire angle was the only reason he signed on to the project to begin with, because it hadn't been done before and he found it too intriguing to pass up. Then WB got cold feet, changed the entire project, and then it was "just" Playing Batman, which was something he had to be talked into in the first place, it wasn't a huge career goal. He signed on for the Story, not the Character. So if he was allowed to complete the project he agreed to before the Bait-N-Switch, he might come back, but I don't see any other way.

Bale... I don't know. I would have said "never" based on his own outspokenness in the past, but he's doing MCU movies now so clearly he's aged out of the "I'm an artist and this is art" phase of his acting career and perfectly willing to just take a paycheck, now. Ten years ago, he passed on $20 million because he just didn't want to do it anymore. Now? Who knows. If he passed on $20 million for "Dark Knight 4" or whatever, I can't see why he'd take far less for a cameo nowadays. But again, obviously his priorities are different now than they were back then. So... maybe.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #105
AquaParade
Banned

Yeah, I could see Ben coming back if the circumstances were perfect for him. He was passionate but the behind the scenes drama stamped out the flame. A lot has changed since then at WB, however.

Keaton just seemed most likely based on his reverence for his time with the character. Over the last few years he's been caught giving the "I am Batman" line while on camera. Playing flying creatures has never steered him wrong. Keaton is badass and I'd like to see him given a meaty role.

I can't imagine Christian coming back because I just don't know where his character could reasonably go. DKR felt like such a finish. I mean, you can always justify it for a paycheck, but I do think there is creative challenge there stacked on top of Christian's cost and creative decisions.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #106
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Yeah, I could see Ben coming back if the circumstances were perfect for him. He was passionate but the behind the scenes drama stamped out the flame. A lot has changed since then at WB, however.

Keaton just seemed most likely based on his reverence for his time with the character. Over the last few years he's been caught giving the "I am Batman" line while on camera. Playing flying creatures has never steered him wrong. Keaton is badass and I'd like to see him given a meaty role.

I can't imagine Christian coming back because I just don't know where his character could reasonably go. DKR felt like such a finish. I mean, you can always justify it for a paycheck, but I do think there is creative challenge there stacked on top of Christian's cost and creative decisions.
Whatever Batman actor they bring back, they're just gonna do like J Jonah Jameson in Spider-Man Far From Home.

"You loved him as this character! Completely different universe, same actor... don't think about it, just ENJOY."

Whatever.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:20 PM   #107
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
That has to somehow lead into a cameo from Terry McGuiness...
That was what I and many other people had suggested as a way for Affleck to depart the role. We wouldn't have had another Bruce Wayne and the iconic superhero would’ve continued to have been played by someone young.

Last edited by ranger_scout; 02-12-2023 at 04:53 PM.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:31 PM   #108
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Whatever Batman actor they bring back, they're just gonna do like J Jonah Jameson in Spider-Man Far From Home.

"You loved him as this character! Completely different universe, same actor... don't think about it, just ENJOY."

Whatever.
I think they may actually acknowledge that he is from the "Burton universe", but it could still just be a glorified cameo.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #109
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I think they may actually acknowledge that he is from the "Burton universe", but it could still just be a glorified cameo.
I don't know that doing so would actually have a ton of impact on the storyline.

But then, I still don't think this Flash movie will ever be made.

Green Lantern Corps, Man of Steel 2, Cyborg, Nightwing, Batgirl, The Flash... the list of movies the DC/WB slate will never actually feature is longer than I care to type out.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #110
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I don't know that doing so would actually have a ton of impact on the storyline.

But then, I still don't think this Flash movie will ever be made.

Green Lantern Corps, Man of Steel 2, Cyborg, Nightwing, Batgirl, The Flash... the list of movies the DC/WB slate will never actually feature is longer than I care to type out.
I actually don't think they would still be talking about it if they weren't serious about making it happen. There is a different team in charge now. The return of the Snyder Cut cements that, imo. This is anti-Previous WB/DC.

It will take them a while to turn their reputation around so no one can blame you for saying that.

And I agree that just mentioning that Keaton comes from a specific universe would not add to the experience. Although, it could be cool to return to that universe with The Flash, perhaps even with Burton's input. I still think a "cameo" of this caliber should resonate on a story-level, but if you can do that, while also showing Burton's Batmobile on the big screen again, you've impressed me.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #111
Leo656
The Franchise

I know for a fact that a Flash movie WILL be made eventually. He's by far one of DC's best characters and there's tons of fertile ground to explore. Green Lantern, same thing. WB has reasons to be gun-shy about either, but they WILL happen.

My anger is based on the fact that this isn't going to be a "Flash Movie". It's just WB wanting their own "Days Of Future Past", soft-reboot, "The stuff you liked still counts but the stuff you didn't like, just shrug and pretend it never happened, it doesn't make ANY sense at all but we're trying to have our cake and eat it too" movie. Flash isn't a character, within the context of this project, he's merely the vehicle. And he deserves a LOT better than that for the First Flash Movie Ever Made.

If you didn't know any better, you'd swear that all Flash ever did was travel through time and facilitate retcons and reboots through same, based on how they've used the character in the last few years across various media. When in truth the time-travel and Multiverse stuff is some serious endgame-level sh*t that generally only happens in the comics during extreme event circumstances. It's not ALL he does and those stories are rare. You want to make the Very First Movie hinge entirely on a plot device which rarely ever even happens in the Flash comics, and cram it full of "Elseworlds" cameos so that this guy can be a guest-star in his own coming-out party? What crack are you smokin', WB?

Where's the time spent on who "Barry Allen" is? The relationship development with Iris? The mentorship with Wally? The Rogues? ALL of that stuff is a thousand percent more relevant to Flash than time travel and alternate Earths. "We're not doing Characters and Stories, we're doing Spectacle." What else is f*cking new, you idiots?

Again, you do this stuff in Movie #3, all those problems go away. It's just a terrible way to do The Very First Flash Movie.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:58 PM   #112
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Make Batman Beyond instead
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:13 PM   #113
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Make Batman Beyond instead
I agree with that, although it might be weird to have a Batman movie directly based on one of the cartoons instead of the comics.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:32 PM   #114
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Beyond is super popular despite only having one animated series, it just worked. What have comics done interesting lately? If they go to the trouble of getting Keaton give us an old Bruce in a Batman Beyond movie instead.

The only cool thing about this is that DC has successfully linked all their live action shows with crisis on the CW shows, so hell yeah, have fun with the multiverse, it's the only thing DC can now do now that they messed up their cinematic universe, play around their multiverse is one way.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:15 PM   #115
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
They go on to explain that this new reality is protected by Keaton's version of Batman, and both Batman Forever and Batman & Robin will be forgotten about, with The Flash revealing what this Dark Knight has been up to in the thirty years since we last saw him face The Penguin in Batman Returns.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/the_f...ration-a176238
Old 06-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #116
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Nope, stupid Flash movie. You won't trick me. Casting Keaton is not going to make me forget you have Ezra Miller as a FAKE Barry Allen in a movie nobody wants.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:56 PM   #117
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Sounds like they are trying to do what 2006's Superman Returns did, which was an homage sequel to Superman and Superman II. That movie didn't acknowledge the events of Superman III, Supergirl, and Superman IV: The Quest for Peace .
Old 08-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #118
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Ben Affleck is back! It will only be a cameo though. Michael Keaton's Batman will have a bigger role.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/ben-aff...ie-1203018972/

Last edited by ranger_scout; 08-20-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #119
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Ben Affleck is back! It will only be a cameo though. Michael Keaton?s Batman will have a bigger role.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/ben-aff...ie-1203018972/
Didn't see THAT coming. Well well...
Old 08-20-2020, 01:44 PM   #120
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm always happy to get more of my favorite Batman, but this project just feels like it's over-stuffed. Less of a "Flash" movie and more of a "Guidebook to the DC Multiverse" where people watching can play "Spot The Cameo". And that's not what I wanted or hoped would be the first-ever Flash movie.

It is what it is, at this point, so I guess all we can hope for is that the cameos are entertaining and the time travel/parallel realities stuff isn't exhausting. They're missing an opportunity to do something great in a "real" Flash movie, but it's whatever, now. It'll barely even be a "movie" but hopefully at least it won't be lousy.

Stupid TV show cross-over. I knew when that happened (and people couldn't recognize how lousy it was) they couldn't resist the urge to try and do the same thing in movie form. Bah.