The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 08-15-2023, 10:14 PM   #1
MirageFan
Mouser

Essential Tales of the TMNT Issues?

I have been reading the Mirage comics, and when I started reading, I decided to just read the main series’ issues. Later, when I got to issue 45, I had no clue how the turtles met leatherhead before. I looked it up, and the explanation was in Tales Volume 1 #6. Luckily, I have the Tales of the TMNT Omnibus, and was able to read through it before continuing with the #45. Though, it got me wondering if there were any other Tales issues that I needed to read with the main story. I figure that I need to read most of Tales Volume 1 (other than #3, maybe), but what about Volume 2? Also, I am planning on reading the main story up to Volume 3 (I know that it is technically not canon but I decided to read it because I can’t read Volume 4), so please do not recommend anything that takes place after that.
MirageFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 06:28 AM   #2
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Not even the fan comics that takes place after Volume 4?
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 06:53 AM   #3
Braeden99
Random Punk

Check out "Gang Wars" from Tales Vol. 2
Braeden99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 10:47 AM   #4
MirageFan
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorm View Post
Not even the fan comics that takes place after Volume 4?
I only want to read the issues in the main series and Tales to keep it simple. I might read the fan comics after I finish my reading list.
Old 08-16-2023, 10:51 AM   #5
MirageFan
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braeden99 View Post
Check out "Gang Wars" from Tales Vol. 2
OK. I will add this to my reading list
Old 08-21-2023, 01:53 PM   #6
Chris
Mad Scientist

In terms of "missing out" on important stuff for canon Volume 1 story all you really need are 2 (Nobody), 4 (Rat King), 6 (Leatherhead), and 7 (Savanti Romero) but I'd say read all 7 anyway since it's not a long series.

All of Tales Volume 2 was published in the Volume 4 era so it was all retrospective stuff. Some great issues in there covering pre-Volume 1 to post-Volume 4 but none that are essential to the main story arc of Volume 1 (or 2 or 3).

And just to let you know, Gang Wars is fantastic but sadly unfinished due to Peter Laird selling TMNT and Tales Vol. 2 ending.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 02:17 PM   #7
MirageFan
Mouser

OK, but what about #5 (Complete Carnage and Radical)? I say this because I was reading TMNT #27, and I had no idea who Complete Carnage and Radical were, so I had to go back and read the issue. I know #27 is not really an essential issue, but I am following the Chronological order of the TMNT Entity, and it says that #27 is a canon issue of the main series, so I wanted to read it anyways.
Old 08-27-2023, 05:52 PM   #8
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirageFan View Post
OK, but what about #5 (Complete Carnage and Radical)? I say this because I was reading TMNT #27, and I had no idea who Complete Carnage and Radical were, so I had to go back and read the issue. I know #27 is not really an essential issue, but I am following the Chronological order of the TMNT Entity, and it says that #27 is a canon issue of the main series, so I wanted to read it anyways.
In that case yes, read #5 as well (though it isn't strictly an origin issue either, Complete Carnage & Radical were introduced in a short story before the Tales issue).

Like I said, ideally read all 7 issues of Tales Volume 1 as it's all canon. I was just trying to single out the more important origin issues for you.

In terms of Volume 1 era canon I would say the following gives you the full story:

Vol. 1 #1-15, 17, 19-21, 24-28, 45-62
Tales Vol. 1 #1-7
And the 4 micro series (can add Fugitoid as well if you want)

You can go deeper with loads of short stories and stuff from that era but they aren't essential and can be a nightmare to track down.

#24-26 were initially declared non-canon by Peter Laird as they were part of the guest era (and haven't been reprinted by IDW due to rights issues) but events are referenced in the canon #28 and I believe Laird later said they do fit in Mirage canon.

After that there are stories in Tales Volume 2 that are set before, during, and after the Volume 1 era but they are all retrospective. Some good reads but not essential to the narrative.

Last edited by Chris; 08-27-2023 at 05:59 PM.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote