The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 07-29-2021, 08:09 AM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

For those of us who are getting older, have you noticed any gray hairs on your head?

You know you're officially, "old" when you start getting gray hair.

Early this morning I thought a single strand of hair on my head was gray, and I almost had a heart attack, but then I looked at in the light some more and it was more brown than gray. I guess the lighting in the room or my eyes were playing tricks on me. I'm only in my 30's...I cannot be getting gray hairs yet.

For those of you who have, "gotten up there in the years," have you noticed any gray hairs?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You know you're officially, "old" when you start getting gray hair.
I've known people who had a few grey hairs in their 20s, nothing too heavy but still had some.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Actually, you can totally get gray hair in your 30s. You can in your 20s. All down to genetics. (Though I hear habits like smoking might hasten it.) My former supervisor turned 60 in Dec. and still had all her natural color, lucky her!

That's something I've always been kind of sensitive about actually. There's an obvious genetic thing on my dad's side that he and his mom both carried that made them both go white at a young age. We're talking 20s here. I never knew my dad when he was blonde, or at least was too young to recall it. (edit: Though he was in his early 30s when I was born and don't think his blonde hair made it that long.) I grew up fearing that might happen to me.

I suppose if you have to have a "negative" genetic thing in the family that's the most harmless thing possible compared to all the awful things there could be. (Hell, there is a genetic form of what my dad died from, though the study suggested it wasn't that type. I really hope they're right...)

Luckily, at 42 I still have most of the color left. Got the darker blonde from my mom, so hopefully her side helped. Though there is touches of my dad's side in there. Did get a first couple white ones at around 19. (Though a friend with black hair noticeably had a couple in our late high school years, so it's not exactly unheard of in general.) They have gradually increased over the years. I've kind of got the gray/white up front on either side (like Marvel's Rogue) and some peppered throughout, washing out my allover color that I'm not happy about it doing, but it's mostly more just a faded dark blonde now...

I've been twice told, unsolicited, by people in recent months (one I know, the other a random stranger) that it looks really pretty. The stranger clarified she meant the color when I thanked her and said that I really needed to get it cut though. So I guess it's noticeable... but looks okay... I really do need to get this extra length taken off, though I also dread that maybe my darker blonde, that I want to remain, might disappear with it if it's growing in lighter than it used to. (I can't tell really, but people commenting makes me worry.) Quite afraid of that honestly, and I hate the idea of having to dye it. I just want to keep the color I'm supposed to be. Wish they'd figure out a way to put the natural color back where it belongs...

If you found a strand that's lighter than you'd normally find... well, I hate to say it, but it could be headed in that direction. Some of mine has gone a little lighter rather than white.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-29-2021 at 08:58 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:00 AM   #4
mrmaczaps
Banned

I turned 40 in March and I've noticed more of them but it doesn't bother me in the least. Too many other important things to deal with in life.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:08 AM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I really do need to get this extra length taken off
Nope.

I mean, do whatever you want, I guess. I don't care, or nothin'.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:00 AM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well I'll have to break the news to you eventually, I can't keep this mess this long forever... lol

Though I'll probably wait until this virus BS and any need for masks around here is in the past.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #7
Roseangelo
Emperor

Plenty of people go bald in their 20s, and here's Cubed worried because he's got a few grays.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:23 PM   #8
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Plenty of people go bald in their 20s, and here's Cubed worried because he's got a few grays.
Well you see, 15 years ago....

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #9
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Usually you start to have gray hairs on your beard but I guess CyberCubed has choosen the baby-face look because he doesn't want to look old.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:04 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

I've never had a beard or mustache in my entire life, why would I want to age myself by 10 years? Keeping a nice clean, "baby face" look is why people think I'm 15 years younger than I am. It's nice to still be confused for a 20 something year old when I'm in my mid-30's.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:21 PM   #11
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Facial hair definitely doesn't age you, lol.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:29 PM   #12
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I've never had a beard or mustache in my entire life, why would I want to age myself by 10 years? Keeping a nice clean, "baby face" look is why people think I'm 15 years younger than I am. It's nice to still be confused for a 20 something year old when I'm in my mid-30's.
Man, I'm sure cougars love you!
I honestly would go for the clean look as well but I look like an idiot
As for gray hairs, they started showing up in my head and in my beard in my late 20s but fortunately they don't seem to want to spread so quickly. I would probably be a bald man before I have most of my hair gray

Two sad faces in one post, damn.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:33 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's a well known fact that a beard can age someone, that's why a lot of young people do grow beards, they want to look older for their jobs and don't want their bosses to think of them as, "young kids" so a beard makes them look more professional. It's very noticeable with 22-24 year olds straight out of college who grow beards to look older for their first career jobs.

Meanwhile a goatee, commonly referred to as, "a devil beard" is mostly used to make yourself look tough or serious. This is why a lot of black, hispanic, asian, etc. people get goatees, it gives the impression, "don't mess with me or I'll screw you up" kind of vibe. I can't have a goatee either because I'd look ridiculous with one, I can't pull off the "tough guy" look that people have with them. White guys like myself, we just can't pull it off.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:42 PM   #14
The Deadman
Foot Elite

What.......

Old 07-29-2021, 04:03 PM   #15
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I don't have a beard but I can't imagine living without a mustache, I've had one for almost a year and I would feel naked if I ever shaved it off. It becomes a very important part of your identity.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:28 PM   #16
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I'm one of the lucky few whose hair is still relatively the same, despite a receding hairline. As I get older though, I have more concern for my mental stability as there's a family history of Dementia. My grandmother had it, one of my aunts recently got it, and my sister is worried my mom will have it in the future.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:19 PM   #17
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Yeah, I have some grays, but it’s irrelevant since I shave my head.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:55 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Suddenly in the last 2 years lots in the sides of my hair. And I've always dyed my beard because I get a lot of weird red and blond hairs in it since I was like 12... but now the chin area (and only there) is very white if I let it go.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:57 AM   #19
newfan
Mad Scientist

Just thinking of the comments about beards aging guys, I'd wondered if some grew a light beard/stubble as they got older to do the opposite, would hide an aging jaw/skin around the mouth. I dunno, trends come and go.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:25 AM   #20
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Started slowly going grey in my beard in my 30s. Now I'm approaching 50 slowly, it's going slowly on the side of the head but the main body is still original.

Could be worse, university mate of mine started going bald in his mid 20s...