The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 08-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #1401
mikey0
Foot Elite

I wish NECA would hurry up and make SOTO turtles already. How can you have Tokka, Rahzar, Super Shredder, and the newly announced SOTO Shredder without SOTO turtles?! This reminds me of when the original Tokka, Rahzar, and Super Shredder were released in late 1991. Children of the 80s and 90s were expected to use the basic turtles to battle Tokka, Rahzar, and Super Shredder. We never got an explanation as to why the Movie Star turtles were not introduced in late 1990. Still, TMNT the Movie from 1990 did more to help the original Playmates toyline than hurt it.

S7 has to make Movie Star Turtles for one of the latter waves. Ultimate Movie Star Mikey and Raph should come with the pre-mutated versions of Tokka and Rahzar. S7 did it with Ultimate Splinter already, so why not Ultimate Movie Star Mike and Raph? I cannot wait to see how many waves this TMNT Ultimates line gets.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:51 PM   #1402
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
We never got an explanation as to why the Movie Star turtles were not introduced in late 1990.
I believe it's because they fully expected the movie to be a flop so they hadn't planned any toys to support it.

I don't think I'd go in for Super7 Movie Star figures. Like someone said earlier, we've got the ridiculously good NECA figures already. That same logic won't apply to Super Shredder and Tokka/Rahzar though if Super7 ever gets around to them. The toys were different enough from the movie looks that I think I could justify buying both.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:31 PM   #1403
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I wish NECA would hurry up and make SOTO turtles already. How can you have Tokka, Rahzar, Super Shredder, and the newly announced SOTO Shredder without SOTO turtles?! This reminds me of when the original Tokka, Rahzar, and Super Shredder were released in late 1991. Children of the 80s and 90s were expected to use the basic turtles to battle Tokka, Rahzar, and Super Shredder. We never got an explanation as to why the Movie Star turtles were not introduced in late 1990. Still, TMNT the Movie from 1990 did more to help the original Playmates toyline than hurt it.

S7 has to make Movie Star Turtles for one of the latter waves. Ultimate Movie Star Mikey and Raph should come with the pre-mutated versions of Tokka and Rahzar. S7 did it with Ultimate Splinter already, so why not Ultimate Movie Star Mike and Raph? I cannot wait to see how many waves this TMNT Ultimates line gets.
We actually don't have anything officially announced after Super Shredder and Tokka & Razhar beyond the GameStop wave 2 repacks. They've teased the Yoshi/Saki set, and the new heads (accessory set), and said SOTO Shredder & 90 April are coming (but nothing seen). We have no idea of the actual schedule beyond those repacks. Hopefully NECA will show something at virtual NYCC.

As for S7 I totally agree they'll probably do Movie Stars at some point. They were one of the most popular sets of variants back in the 90s and also a good way to get basic turtles back in the line with these early waves selling out everywhere. I just think when they do they'll be based purely on the figures (so toy expressions, different colours of skin, etc.), they won't get exact to movie sculpts as that's NECA"s area.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:34 PM   #1404
mikey0
Foot Elite

What are your dream waves for TMNT Ultimates?

Here is mine:

Armaggon, Ray Filet, Merdude, Leatherhead

King Lionheart, Doctor El, Scale Tail, Groundchuck

Wyrm, Scumbug, Concept Art Baxter Stockman, Anthrax (for Foot Clan fans)

Genghis Frog, Napoleon Bonafrog, Zak, and Rock N Roll Mondo Gecko (for TMNT fans who love the allies of the turtles)

Atilla the Frog, Rasputin the Mad Frog, Dask, and Kala (same as above, follow up wave)
Old 08-27-2020, 03:51 PM   #1405
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
What are your dream waves for TMNT Ultimates?
  • Ray Fillet, Wingnut & Screwloose, Scumbug, Mondo Gecko
  • Sergeant Bananas, Wyrm, Slash, Leatherhead
  • Antrax, Triceraton, Merdude, Chromedome
  • Dirtbag, Groundchuck, Pizza face, Fugitoid
  • Doctor El, Hothead, Scaletail, King Lionheart
  • Half court, Sandstorm, Scratch, Hotspot

--

Then only after all the mutants from the original line come through, variants:
  • Jim lee turtles
  • Universal movie turtles
  • Archie future turtles
  • Archie wrestling turtles
  • Archie mutanimals + armaggon
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #1406
Chris
Mad Scientist

Honestly my dream right now is just to get the rest of the characters I consider "essential" - Don, Casey, Krang, Leatherhead, and Rat King. Hopefully the next two waves should cover those

But if I had to pick a wave of dream figures that I'd personally love to see in this line:

Leonardo (Movie 4 Concept Art) - always loved the design Eastman and Laird did for Movie 4 Leo

Karai - major character in almost all media since City at War so I really want her in the line but not sure Super 7 will get to her

Ninjara - now Flynn has said Archie's on the radar I'm more confident we'll see her but including Ninjara in my dream wave as she's well over due a figure

Savanti Romero - another Mirage character who's become more of a mainstay in recent incarnations, but more than anything I think the Four Horsemen could do an amazing job re-imagining him in vintage style

Honourable mentions - Venus and Dragon Lord. Like with Savanti, I reckon the Four Horsemen could give us an amazing looking Dragon Lord. And I just want a Venus as, love her or not, she's an important part of TMNT history.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:43 PM   #1407
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Honestly my dream right now is just to get the rest of the characters I consider "essential" - Don, Casey, Krang, Leatherhead, and Rat King. Hopefully the next two waves should cover those

But if I had to pick a wave of dream figures that I'd personally love to see in this line:

Leonardo (Movie 4 Concept Art) - always loved the design Eastman and Laird did for Movie 4 Leo

Karai - major character in almost all media since City at War so I really want her in the line but not sure Super 7 will get to her

Ninjara - now Flynn has said Archie's on the radar I'm more confident we'll see her but including Ninjara in my dream wave as she's well over due a figure

Savanti Romero - another Mirage character who's become more of a mainstay in recent incarnations, but more than anything I think the Four Horsemen could do an amazing job re-imagining him in vintage style

Honourable mentions - Venus and Dragon Lord. Like with Savanti, I reckon the Four Horsemen could give us an amazing looking Dragon Lord. And I just want a Venus as, love her or not, she's an important part of TMNT history.
Which version of Krang? Should S7 make a 13 inch Ultimate Krang?s Android Body with the Mobile Life Support System set? How tall should the Ultimate Krang?s Android Body be?
Old 08-27-2020, 06:53 PM   #1408
Leo656
The Franchise

Awesome as it is to consider, that'd be like $200+ if it were in scale. That's really the only downside with these kinds of "deluxe" or "adult collector" lines; the size and price point makes stuff like vehicles, larger figures and playsets rather unfeasible. Like the stuff Mattel did for the MOTU Classics line, like their Grayskull playset or their Battle Cat or Wind Raider or whatever; They'd be really cool to actually see be made, but nobody could ever reasonably afford them so they'd only end up making a few and even then barely make profit on it.

Something like Krang's body is a bit more reasonable to expect but if it's in-scale you better believe that'll be a high-end item.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:22 PM   #1409
Galactus
Foot Elite

If Archie related characters are on their radar could 4kids also be possible? Some higher end versions of those characters would be great.

Speaking of variants it's always baffled me given how much playmates loves them we never got SAINS turtles or Super Turtles.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:52 PM   #1410
Slime State Alumni
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Awesome as it is to consider, that'd be like $200+ if it were in scale. That's really the only downside with these kinds of "deluxe" or "adult collector" lines; the size and price point makes stuff like vehicles, larger figures and playsets rather unfeasible. Like the stuff Mattel did for the MOTU Classics line, like their Grayskull playset or their Battle Cat or Wind Raider or whatever; They'd be really cool to actually see be made, but nobody could ever reasonably afford them so they'd only end up making a few and even then barely make profit on it.

Something like Krang's body is a bit more reasonable to expect but if it's in-scale you better believe that'll be a high-end item.
Considering the insanity that was Snake Mountain, I don't see Super7 shying away from giant expensive sets if the demand is there.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:25 PM   #1411
mikey0
Foot Elite

We already got the Mouser with Baxter, but would anyone like to see Slice N Dice Shredder and the Wacky Action turtles?
Old 08-28-2020, 12:47 AM   #1412
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Which version of Krang? Should S7 make a 13 inch Ultimate Krang?s Android Body with the Mobile Life Support System set? How tall should the Ultimate Krang?s Android Body be?
I'd prefer the android body to the walker but expecting just the walker in these early waves. In terms of size I wouldn't need the android body to be whatever Playmates 13" would be when translated to Ultimates scale. I think that would be too big tbh. Ideally they'd find a middle ground between the deluxe size and the standard figure size (let's say Turtles around face to brain rather than just above his knee). Which would hopefully help a little with the price as well, though I'd still expect a $100-150 price tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
If Archie related characters are on their radar could 4kids also be possible? Some higher end versions of those characters would be great.

Speaking of variants it's always baffled me given how much playmates loves them we never got SAINS turtles or Super Turtles.
I'd love to see some 4Kids characters added to the line up. My gut feeling says they'll focus on stuff like Archie first (stuff that was around when the vintage line was) but it sounds like there's no characters off the table and 4Kids introduced some major new characters who would be nice to have in the line.

Quote:
We already got the Mouser with Baxter, but would anyone like to see Slice N Dice Shredder and the Wacky Action turtles?
Personally not for me, without the action features the Turtles are essentially the same as the standard ones (same for storage shell). At ?50 per figure I'm going to be VERY restraint on variants. Sewer Samurai Leo as I think he looks cool and I wanted him as a kid, then Movie Stars because I loved them (they became my main Turtles after I got them) and maybe TNM because I wanted them but never had them when I was younger.

Though that Shredder would be a good way of getting a clothed version into the line
Old 08-28-2020, 08:23 AM   #1413
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

22,000 people just backed the $350 Marvel Legends Sentinel so I could definitely see a giant Krang happening. It wouldn't draw as large of a crowd but I think it would still be feasible and successful if Super7 gave it a shot.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #1414
mikey0
Foot Elite

I want to see S7 do an art print of the turtles and all of their mutant and non-mutant allies against the Foot Clan and evil side characters like Rat King who were not associated with the Foot for SDCC 2021 or 2022. That would be awesome.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #1415
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I want to see S7 do an art print of the turtles and all of their mutant and non-mutant allies against the Foot Clan and evil side characters like Rat King who were not associated with the Foot for SDCC 2021 or 2022. That would be awesome.
that would be sick. like the old card backs? "hey kids, wanna take over the world?"

damn, that's almost too good of an idea to give away for free
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #1416
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
that would be sick. like the old card backs? "hey kids, wanna take over the world?"

I want to see a TMNT art print like this: https://www.sideshow.com/whats-new/a...cid=81k4_sd9l5

Every basic assortment character would be featured in it along with villains from variant waves such as Shogun Shoate. There could even be art prints with individual characters.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #1417
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Wow, that poster is great! If only Super7 could get Alex Ross!
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #1418
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:

S7 should do Ultimate versions of some of the rarer figures before they get around to the Archie and Mirage characters. We need Scratch in the 6th or 7th wave. Scratch is part of TMNT history. I am not saying that Ninjara, Savanti, and Karai are not. Scratch has a reputation for being the rarest basic assortment action figure from the original Playmates toyline. Scalpers were grabbing any
non-variant TMNT figure they could find in late 1993, so S7 making an Ultimate Scratch would lead to loads and loads more waves of TMNT Ultimates figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post

Have you seen this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Wow, that poster is great! If only Super7 could get Alex Ross!
I wish S7 could get Alex Ross now.

In the meantime, we have this to look at:

Last edited by mikey0; 08-28-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:42 AM   #1419
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
S7 should do Ultimate versions of some of the rarer figures before they get around to the Archie and Mirage characters. We need Scratch in the 6th or 7th wave. Scratch is part of TMNT history. I am not saying that Ninjara, Savanti, and Karai are not. Scratch has a reputation for being the rarest basic assortment action figure from the original Playmates toyline. Scalpers were grabbing any
non-variant TMNT figure they could find in late 1993, so S7 making an Ultimate Scratch would lead to loads and loads more waves of TMNT Ultimates figures.
It was a dream wave, not what I think they should or will do next. I was specifically picking figures that I think they won't do for a while (Karai/Savanti) or at all (Concept Leo).

Scratch vs Ninjara or Karai is interesting though. Scratch has a lot of history for vintage toy collectors, but Ninjara has a lot of built up demand from never having a figure and Karai is a major character who never had a vintage figure (probably because she came as the line was already moving to primarily variants and never appeared in the OT). Be interesting to see what the reactions are like if/when they get to them.

Since Brian said they're able to do characters not in the vintage line (and specified Archie) I'm thinking we'll see some "new" characters sprinkled into the line after these first 5 waves. It will generate excitement for never before done characters and help them space out the vintage heavy hitters to keep interest going.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #1420
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
It was a dream wave, not what I think they should or will do next. I was specifically picking figures that I think they won't do for a while (Karai/Savanti) or at all (Concept Leo).

Scratch vs Ninjara or Karai is interesting though. Scratch has a lot of history for vintage toy collectors, but Ninjara has a lot of built up demand from never having a figure and Karai is a major character who never had a vintage figure (probably because she came as the line was already moving to primarily variants and never appeared in the OT). Be interesting to see what the reactions are like if/when they get to them.

Since Brian said they're able to do characters not in the vintage line (and specified Archie) I'm thinking we'll see some "new" characters sprinkled into the line after these first 5 waves. It will generate excitement for never before done characters and help them space out the vintage heavy hitters to keep interest going.
I would hope NECA gets to Karai and Savanti before S7 does. Then again, you never know.

Last edited by mikey0; 08-29-2020 at 04:33 PM.