The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Kevin Eastman or Peter Laird?
Kevin Eastman 6 28.57%
Peter Laird 15 71.43%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2023, 04:58 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"So what is so cool about Bebop and Rocksteady?"

You can't really get an answer that makes sense from people. It boils down to a series of excuses stemming from, essentially, "They have a cool design!" and "I have vague but fond memories of them as a kid/nostalgiaaa!" "Did you know Kevin and Peter designed them?"

You'll get even less of an answer that makes sense if you ask, "So why would Shredder ever want to employ Bebop and Rocksteady?"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 06:13 PM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateBum View Post
Yeah, it does take away a bit even with the rectification. It wasn't handled badly and they were attempting something new, but I feel it doesn't work as a standard Shredder backstory.
I gotta say though, until the Secret Origins arc, Shredder looked like the most unstoppable demon ever. That episode that closes with Shredder picking up his head a few minutes after Leonardo cut it off was pretty damn cool for its time.

It got a bit silly how often Shredder kept coming back, though. They also beat the dead horse of Baxter getting mutilated for a little too long. It got absurd .

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The thing about Bebop and Rocksteady is that they were created to be filler characters for a toyline, with very little regard for how they would fit into any stories. Since the 2003 show was (at least in comparison to the other shows) meant to be more like an actual adaptation rather than just something slapped together to sell a line of toys, it didn't really make sense to reuse the old filler, much better for the non-Mirage characters to be entirely original. Hence why we got characters like Hun and Bishop instead, far less disruptive to the premise of those stories.
I wonder if that's why season 2 had Baxter as Shredder's sidekick for the first half of episodes or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

You can't really get an answer that makes sense from people. It boils down to a series of excuses stemming from, essentially, "They have a cool design!" and "I have vague but fond memories of them as a kid/nostalgiaaa!" "Did you know Kevin and Peter designed them?"

You'll get even less of an answer that makes sense if you ask, "So why would Shredder ever want to employ Bebop and Rocksteady?"
Bebop, Rocksteady and Krang all fit the FW series and products perfectly fine, but that's it. Krang was only a thing because, for some reason, they didn't add the Utroms to the series. And I guess you can call Ch'rell the 2k3 version of Krang somewhat. I remember back in 2004-2006 seeing a lot of backlash online against "Shredder being Krang in the new Turtles cartoon" from teenagers/younger adults who grew up with the FW series.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 06:17 PM   #23
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

I would say it's more like "they were in a million episodes, so remember them because they were beaten into my mind", rather than anything they did or what their role was. I'm not even sure "purple mohawk pig" and "potbelly rhino" even look all that cool in hindsight.

I'm pretty sure that if they were never used again that all that would happen is that people who "remember" them, would just stop asking to see them pop up again. Which, let's be honest, nobody is asking to see more of Bebop and Rocksteady because they first saw them in the 2012 show after the ratings had already dropped significantly, the mind numbing garbage spotlight of OotS, the "many fish in the sea" role in Mutant Mayhem or that weird joke cameo in Rise. Maybe IDW but I'm not even sure about that.

Most of the people who demand to see more of Bebop and Rocksteady do so because they watched the FW cartoon as kids and weren't able to tell what obnoxious characters they really were yet, and most of those guys are… What? At least 42 years old on average at this point, if not older? If writers still insist to make Bebop and Rocksteady regular characters by 2040, it would be weird.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 06:19 PM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I would say it's more like "they were in a million episodes, so remember them because they were beaten into my mind", rather than anything they did or what their role was. I'm not even sure "purple mohawk pig" and "potbelly rhino" even look all that cool in hindsight.

I'm pretty sure that if they were never used again that all that would happen is that people who "remember" them, would just stop asking to see them pop up again. Which, let's be honest, nobody is asking to see more of Bebop and Rocksteady because they first saw them in the 2012 show after the ratings had already dropped significantly, the mind numbing garbage spotlight of OotS, the "many fish in the sea" role in Mutant Mayhem or that weird joke cameo in Rise. Maybe IDW but I'm not even sure about that.

Most of the people who demand to see more of Bebop and Rocksteady do so because they watched the FW cartoon as kids and weren't able to tell what obnoxious characters they really were yet, and most of those guys are… What? At least 42 years old on average at this point, if not older? If writers still insist to make Bebop and Rocksteady regular characters by 2040, it would be weird.
It's really odd how people who are fans of the FW series and the first 3 movies only are the ones who are allowed to dictate taste and what direction the franchise should take. Even though those people stopped liking TMNT around 1993 or so and probably even made fun of others who kept liking it after that until 2012 or so.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 08:51 PM   #25
TheUltimateBum
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
It got a bit silly how often Shredder kept coming back, though. They also beat the dead horse of Baxter getting mutilated for a little too long. It got absurd.
Yeah, it was a bit excessive with the comebacks. Baxter's abuse... I'd say that's just part of the character, considering how much abuse a lot of versions of the character take.

Last edited by TheUltimateBum; 12-31-2023 at 06:29 AM.
TheUltimateBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 07:24 PM   #26
Donnie
Something from the Past

Peter Laird.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 02:28 AM   #27
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
The thing about Bebop and Rocksteady is that they were created to be filler characters for a toyline, with very little regard for how they would fit into any stories.
Within the context of the show, it made sense. If Shredder accidentally created mutant turtles, mutate his own thugs into more dangerous animals and send them after them. The only thing was, why Shredder stopped at only 2 and didn't mutate all of them. Or why whenever new mutants popped up like Leatherhead or Baxter, actually keep them around and increase their ranks. Yeah yeah I know... status quo.

One advantage of the 2012 show was the status quo kept changing, and by seasons 4 or so Shredder now had a team of Rahzar, Fishface, Baxter, Tiger Claw, Bebop and Rocksteady as well as an army of Foot Soldiers.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 10:00 AM   #28
Xav
Foot Elite

Shredder actually doesn't stop at 2 you can see the other gang members mutated in a couple episodes of the first season.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 08:43 PM   #29
staypuftweepel
Foot Soldier

I voted for Peter Laird. I really miss Mirage when he ran it and the feel the franchise had. The Nick show may be my favorite cartoon, but I prefer the comics when he was running the ship. Eastman is the better of the two when it comes to pacing and layouts, but I think Peter writes a better narrative. Like Andrew said above when left to his own devices Eastman gets lost in too much action and not enough story. I also have a hard time taking a lot of what he says as his real opinion. Laird wasn’t afraid to tell you exactly what he thought sucked about the turtles. It may have been a bummer that he didn’t like Bebop and Rocksteady, but I could respect his attempt to make the 2003 cartoon closer to his original vision of the turtles. Eastman always says everything happening with the franchise is great. I understand he’s got to help push the product so Nickelodeon and IDW keep him working, but I don’t honestly think he loves everything that comes out. No way was he into the Idw comics under Sophie Campbells run when mostly nothing happened.

When it comes to art I’d give it to Peter too. Both are great, but I prefer Peter’s more fleshed out figures than Kevin’s blocky designs. Still I do love Kevins art and in my opinion the both of them were the best when they worked together.
staypuftweepel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 08:53 PM   #30
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Shredder actually doesn't stop at 2 you can see the other gang members mutated in a couple episodes of the first season.
But he never actually uses them. He only used one to show the Turtles that the retromutagen guy works. It's been just Bebop and Rocksteady for the whole series.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 11:52 PM   #31
Wednesday's Serial
Thug

I don't get why we'd choose. Love them both. As a rule, the TMNT stuff that doesn't involve them in some way tends to be the worst of what we can get...
Wednesday's Serial is offline   Reply With Quote