The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 01-20-2022, 04:43 PM   #1
The Deadman
Foot Elite

M&Ms characters to become more inclusive

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kno...more-inclusive

Candy is about to get more “inclusive,” with the maker of M&M’s announcing its famed characters are getting modern makeovers and will have more “nuanced personalities.”

Mars, Incorporated, the company behind the colorful, candy-coated chocolates, announced Thursday a “global commitment to creating a world where everyone feels they belong and society is inclusive.”

As part of the new mission to increase the “sense of belonging for 10 million people around the world by 2025,” Mars said the M&M’s characters — who serve as mascots of sorts for the brand — would be receiving fresh, new looks.

The green M&M, previously seen in ads posing seductively and strutting her stuff in white go-go boots, will now sport a pair of sneakers. A description for the green candy on the M&M’s website says she enjoys “being a hypewoman for my friends.”

“I think we all win when we see more women in leading roles, so I’m happy to take on the part of supportive friend when they succeed,” the green M&M said on the promotional site.

Another character, the brown M&M, described her motto as, “Not bossy. Just the boss.”

Mars said in announcing the refresh that M&M’s — which were first released in 1941 — will have “an updated tone of voice that is more inclusive, welcoming, and unifying, while remaining rooted in our signature jester, wit and humor.”

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:49 PM   #2
AquaParade
Banned

It doesn't matter whether you like this direction or not. The point is you are posting the links and discussing it with your friends. People are talking about m&m and that makes it relevant. The angrier you get, the more you share the article, the more they sell.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:46 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Okay.

While I always sort of mentally rolled my eyes at the usual thing of the girls being the outnumbered token characters along with the weirdness of adding sex appeal to M&M candy pieces, I never paid it that much mind.

I'd have simply appreciated an additional female character that wasn't a piece of family friendly junk food weirdly designed as if expected to turn men on... Though some men will no doubt weirdly get upset over the candy with faces. (No really, unless an animated piece of candy is your favorite thing to get off to, just chill.)

Brands have gone through redesigns for ages. They just didn't usually tell us why before.

But really... I'm more concerned about the fact that they've never thought if doing a bag of assorted flavors that match the colors. You know... the orange one is orange chocolate, the red has a nice hint of cherry, blue has blueberry, etc. The brown is the classic regular chocolate of course.

Come on, where is THAT instead?
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:55 PM   #4
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I like how they say all the guys will have makeovers and blah blah and quickly jump to tell us ALL about the 2 female characters.... and not mentioning for example, what they plan to do to update Red and Peanut. The two women are guest characters at best, Red and Peanut are the main stars of their commercials (especially since they replay the older Christmas ads and whatnot despite only showing those two since they were made before they started throwing females in there).

While I don't care about Green M&M, the removal of her uhh.... sexiness is still playing along with this bizzare plan to cover up or change or flat out remove sexiness in women in general.

The funny part of all this is, no matter how much the blue haired feminist whales bitch about either hating all men or women sexualizing themselves because they will never look like that, they still somehow expect men to line up and **** them. And not just men, but rich fit 6-pack men. It's insanity.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:59 PM   #5
mrmaczaps
Banned

Absolute lunacy. They should just quit using the animated characters altogether.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:16 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Should they also be all red?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I like how they say all the guys will have makeovers and blah blah and quickly jump to tell us ALL about the 2 female characters....
It looks like the only real change to the male characters is the color of the arms and legs and likewise some got a new shoe design.

Spoiler:

Quote:
or flat out remove sexiness in women in general.
I think the problem is more-so that sexiness is not a male only POV thing. But male perceptive is always treated as the default, as if women's perspective of male characters doesn't exist and the one-sidedness is weird... just as weird as trying to make candy "sexy" to begin with.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-20-2022 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:34 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Wasn't the green M & M always gay or am I misremembering?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:54 PM   #8
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Should they also be all red?

It looks like the only real change to the male characters is the color of the arms and legs and likewise some got a new shoe design.

I think the problem is more-so that sexiness is not a male only POV thing. But male perceptive is always treated as the default, as if women's perspective of male characters doesn't exist and the one-sidedness is weird... just as weird as trying to make candy "sexy" to begin with.
Wow. There is barely any change in design. I wouldn't call Green and Brown sexy but I don't see any real change to them. I guess the bigger change is they'll probably all be woke now and at least one of them will be trans or something. *shrugs* Maybe Green was originally created as a male M&M, idk.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:19 PM   #9
IMJ
Emperor

M&M's do not represent "everyone". They are candy.

This is a marketing stunt and it's also woke $#!(. Every sucker who feels progressive and stunning over this should actually be insulted for being called an idiot who Mars believes will respond with joy by handing over the cash for more candy.

Go get 'em sheeple. "Diverse M&M's".
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:03 PM   #10
mrmaczaps
Banned

The yellow one is still the only M with a nut....
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:04 AM   #11
Sumac
Banned

Sadly it is still relevant in a modern ****ing world:
Spoiler:
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:02 AM   #12
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Just bring back the peanut butter and crispy M&M's already. No need to diversify candy that is suppose to come in different varieties!

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:36 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Only if they also bring back the Chili Nut as well, or the similar Jalapeno. I STILL check for them now and then.

Stop being prejudiced against spicy M&Ms as a limited time new flavor competition when most other new flavors just get to happen.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #14
vicsavage
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Sadly it is still relevant in a modern ****ing world:
Nazi using a Nazi comic to prove his point. What a shock.

Anyway, this is pretty funny because Tucker Carlson is angry he can't jerk off to M&Ms anymore.
vicsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:47 PM   #15
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsavage View Post

Anyway, this is pretty funny because Tucker Carlson is angry he can't jerk off to M&Ms anymore.
Sumac has original thoughts and opinions. Nazi's were sheeple who projected life-anger or pretended to project it out of fear of the loudmouthed group around them. Like today's left in the U.S..
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:55 PM   #16
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Communist trash calls me a Nazi, because, he doesn't have anything else to offer.
How original, smart and enlightened.

Also, let me give your liquid brain a logic task: all modern technology was based on those made by Nazi scientists, before, during or after WW2. So by your own logic, you should immediately stop using most of the modern appliances, including PC and Internet and rid Internet from your presence. Something tells the world will benefit from it.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:28 PM   #17
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Calling someone a nazi because they shared a meme that mocks corporate marketing is a huge insult to those who suffered or perished under the regime of the actual nazis.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:32 PM   #18
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I’ve always thought the “sexy” look for Green calls back to the vintage Midway arcade cabinet art for Ms Pac Man... which is a game that has become scarce over the past decade due to Namco being too cheap to pay a royalty fee.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:22 PM   #19
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Calling someone a nazi because they shared a meme that mocks corporate marketing is a huge insult to those who suffered or perished under the regime of the actual nazis.
Godwin's Law at it's finest. I've always felt cries, "You're a Nazi!" was a sign of a lost argument.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 10:42 AM   #20
vicsavage
Foot Soldier

I mean, you could prevent people from calling oneself a Nazi by simply not using Nazi comics to make a point. And Stonetoss is a Nazi comic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/antifastone...oss_is_a_nazi/
vicsavage is offline   Reply With Quote