The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #801
Vegeta
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I think the art/design is a big problem and the fact that the turtles are so minimized within their own story.The story feels to grandiose and I feel like TMNT is best when it is being told as there story, not a giant universe.....
The first big arc of the book is pretty intimate and family oriented, IDW doing different things over the years is important but the individual turtles could use some personality injections. The macros will help I think.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #802
CyberCubed
Overlord

September's sales finally in:

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...8/2018-09.html

TMNT#86 9,946

First time the main ongoing dipped below 10,000 sales, as far as I remember. Of course remember this doesn't include digital.

The Image #5 reprint sold a little over 7,000 copies, hopefully sales stay healthy enough for all 23 issues to be colored/reprinted.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:12 AM   #803
Nortock Diab
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Image #5 reprint sold a little over 7,000 copies, hopefully sales stay healthy enough for all 23 issues to be colored/reprinted.
And all additional 3 issues to be released!
Nortock Diab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:13 AM   #804
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

Toxic Rise kills the franchise. People are no longer interested TMNT.
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:16 AM   #805
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlZarkovski View Post
Toxic Rise kills the franchise. People are no longer interested TMNT.
What do you mean by 'Toxic Rise'?
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:24 AM   #806
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
What do you mean by 'Toxic Rise'?
New Nick show Rise of the TMNT.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:06 AM   #807
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
I don't think the new show has any significant effect on the sales numbers for the series. As a series ages it usually has a steady decline and this series has been going for about 7 or 8 years strong. But if there was anything that effecting the series I would point out two problems that I personally have with the series lately is 1) The turtles have become background characters within their own series at times. 2) Art/ Turtle design.The turtles almost look child like at time bc of the art.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #808
AquaParade
Banned

I think Marvel and DC have had their way with me - The prospect of a new TMNT #1 from IDW actually excites me. But only if it comes with a noticeable shift in flavor or creative direction.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #809
CyberCubed
Overlord

I imagine sales decline because as said this happens to all long running series anyway, but also because a comic with 86 issues and 60+ specials/mini's on top of that is daunting to new readers. The barrier for entry is higher than it was a few years ago.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #810
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
I imagine sales decline because as said this happens to all long running series anyway, but also because a comic with 86 issues and 60+ specials/mini's on top of that is daunting to new readers. The barrier for entry is higher than it was a few years ago.
True. Though it's hard not to think that if those Platinum films had kicked ass, we may be looking at slightly larger numbers today.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #811
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I agree, this is one of the reasons. But September 2017 sales were much higher.

TMNT #74 12,936
TMNT #86 9,946

74 number is also a high barrier to entry, but now things are much worse. The Universe is closed, the new B&R mini-series sold 2 times worse than the first. We see a general decline of interest in the franchise.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:16 PM   #812
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yep, it's what makes me think after issue 100 we'll see a major shake-up in the series. That's still a long way away (we'll be in late 2019 before that happens), so we'll see how sales go.

IDW TMNT has way too many plotlines going to wrap up by issue 100, so even if they start over with a new #1, as long as it's all the same continuity it should be fine.

Keep in mind they kept the Nick animated comic going for years despite very low sales, the last few issues only sold barely above 5,000 copies. I also doubt the Rise of the TMNT cartoon comic will sell very well either, and they'll probably keep it around for awhile anyway. Sometimes I honestly wonder what the lowest sales are to still remain profitable, after the writer/artists/editors get paid, then the printing costs, than the % fee to Nickelodeon because it's a licensed property, etc.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #813
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Keep in mind they kept the Nick animated comic going for years despite very low sales, the last few issues only sold barely above 5,000 copies. I also doubt the Rise of the TMNT cartoon comic will sell very well either, and they'll probably keep it around for awhile anyway.
Sometimes numbers say more than words.

New Animated Adventures #1 14,397
Rise of TMNT #0 7,198

Drop 2 times. I think we only get 5-6 issues and one TPB. Nikelodeon really kills the franchise.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #814
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Oh right, yeah I know what you mean. I've seen a few clips and watched Nostalgia Critic's review of episode 1 and it looks like dumbed down garbage for little kids with no attention span.
I also detest the new designs - changing things up is fine and keeps things fresh when done right, but going as far as they have it's only ever going to alienate longtime fans of the franchise.
Same reason I refuse to watch the Bay films - not that he could ever pull a decent idea out of his ass.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #815
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
For those keeping track, the ongoing continuity is at a total of 178 issues currently over 7 years + 2 months.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:31 PM   #816
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
True. Though it's hard not to think that if those Platinum films had kicked ass, we may be looking at slightly larger numbers today.
I have wondered that myself, Especially bc the series was so new at the time still. I believe we were only about 24 issues in. If I remember I think we did see a slight spike in sales when the first movie came out.

Quote:
Yep, it's what makes me think after issue 100 we'll see a major shake-up in the series. That's still a long way away (we'll be in late 2019 before that happens), so we'll see how sales go.

IDW TMNT has way too many plotlines going to wrap up by issue 100, so even if they start over with a new #1, as long as it's all the same continuity it should be fine.

Keep in mind they kept the Nick animated comic going for years despite very low sales, the last few issues only sold barely above 5,000 copies. I also doubt the Rise of the TMNT cartoon comic will sell very well either, and they'll probably keep it around for awhile anyway. Sometimes I honestly wonder what the lowest sales are to still remain profitable, after the writer/artists/editors get paid, then the printing costs, than the % fee to Nickelodeon because it's a licensed property, etc.
This is a very good question. But The numbers you see dropping is not a complete drop bc the sales of physical comics is shrinking industry wide and moving towards digital sale. Also I think is was Bobby that said the entire industry was in a down turn right now bc of how badly Marvel was ******** the bed. So my point being I feel the main ongoing will be safe for a while bc.....

1)TMNT is still one of IDW top selling books. It was 1# for years until recently.
2) Idw make money from not only the book itself but also from TPBs, Hardcorvers, reprints and Ad revenue.
I am sure I could come up with a few more reasons if I wanted to but thats it for now
Old 10-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #817
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/05/comi...-flourish.html

He is what I was talking about in digital sales. So It looks like Digital sales sell about a third of what the prints do so add 3,000 to number of issue sold for a rough estimate. Also Digital comics I imagine would be more profitable than print due to cost.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:06 PM   #818
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Eh, I think some of the plotlines will be wrapped up by #100. Or at least seeing their next big phase.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:42 AM   #819
neatoman
Emperor

And typically you can boost sales by "starting over" with a new #1. You don't even need to actually reboot, just make sure it's a decent starting point and treat the last 100 issues as a backstory.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #820
CyberCubed
Overlord

If a lot of plotlines are resolved by issue 100 it would be good to start off with a clean slate of some kind, because some plots linger too long.

I think generally they should stop foreshadowing characters or events that don't happen till years down the line. Remember how early Ch'rell and Leatherhead were first introduced in IDW with brief cameos, only to take years for them to get proper debuts? Even now Ch'rell still hasn't actually done anything, he's just finally let loose. Or how Bishop's attack on Burnow Island was foreshadowed in the early 50's issues and we had to wait to issue 86 for it to happen?

Or how Null who was introduced literally years ago, and her plotline has moved at a snails pace? Or how Karai hasn't been in the main ongoing since issue 50, and it looks like we have to wait till issue 90+ to see Karai (and Koya/Bludgeon) make a return?

I don't mind stuff being foreshadowed for the future of course, but when you realize it takes years and years in real life to actually get to those plot points, I can see how people can lose interest. That's why I hope if a lot of the big plot points are resolved by issue 100, they don't spend the next 50 issues setting things up that won't happen till years down the line. Especially since post issue 100 we have no idea how long IDW TMNT will continue to last in general.

Tags
comic discussion