The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 08-05-2018, 06:14 PM   #21
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I miss the days when message boards were actually THE way to talk, chat rooms were just becoming a thing, and fan sites were actually active. Now it's all on FB or Pinterest, Reddit, etc. I miss the Marvel boards, Space Pirates, and the music playlist site that eventually merged with Myspace (forgot the name).

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #22
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Also, remember when website had background music? It could get annoyingly loud at times.
AND they were almost always that horrible, kind of electronic sounding music... As if the creator of the Oregon Trail game music got the next computer upgrade and decided to get a little more ambitious.

Even a simple musical greeting card sounds better these days.

Quote:
Do people even still make their own personal webpages for fun?
Not like I used to, but never entirely gave it up.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #23
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I kinda miss Dreamarena (Sega’s European online Dreamcast service), though I didn’t use the forums on it much. Didn’t know it was still active until March 2003. Thought it was shut down months before that.

It was cool anyway being able to use a Dreamcast for browsing the internet without needing a computer. My first real experience of the internet, not counting the times I was on it at school.

Last edited by Wesley; 08-06-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I kinda miss Dreamarena (Sega’s European online Dreamcast service), though I didn’t use the forums on it much. Didn’t know it was still active until March 2003. Thought it was shut down months before that.

It was cool anyway being able to use a Dreamcast for browsing the internet without needing a computer. My first real experience of the internet, not counting the times I was on it at school.
The Dreamcast seemed rather big at the time and it even sponsored Arsenal's kits for a season or two. Then it just seemed to die out of the blue. As a kid I had no idea what was going on in the industry, obviously.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:38 PM   #25
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

I miss Napster, honestly. So easy to use and I found so much rare content I didn't even knew existed on there.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #26
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
I miss Napster, honestly. So easy to use and I found so much rare content I didn't even knew existed on there.
That's how I first got NES and SNES video game OSTs and also some famous remixes of them.

I'm pretty sure the first video game OST I downloaded was SNES F-Zero's.

Burning CDs was the thing at the time since everyone had a Discman.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:32 AM   #27
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Burning CDs was the thing at the time since everyone had a Discman.
I think it's better now, with services like Netflix and Spotify, since people are ready to pay for their modern home entertainment again.

When people downloaded videogames illegally, everything wasn't about videogames. It was about knowing someone who could burn.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #28
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Oghh glitter gifs.

Also, remember when website had background music? It could get annoyingly loud at times.
It was worse when some of them were MIDIS.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #29
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon_Orbit

Did anyone ever have a Cartoon Orbit account? I did it for a couple of years around 2001 to 2003. Fun for internet capabilities and being 14.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:08 PM   #30
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
It was worse when some of them were MIDIS.
THAT'S what they were called, thank you. Same ones I was talking about. Would make a great method of torture.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I had MIDIs on all of my webpages. Especially fanfiction. It was always annoying how they would play completely differently, depending on the browser used or other factors.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #32
Prowler
Emperor

And remember when browsers didn't have tabs? You had to open a new window, and having more than 3 or 4 would slow down your computer by a loooot

And remember when you had to ALWAYS host an image you wanted to wear as your avatar on a message boards in a place like imageshack or photobucket instead of just uploading it into your user control panel?
Old 08-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yep. And when Netscape Navigator 3 was king.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #34
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yep. And when Netscape Navigator 3 was king.
Sadly I didn't know of that browser at the time, so I was using Internet Explorer up until 2006 or so when I switched to Mozilla Firefox.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #35
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Wow, I hadn't thought of Netscape in years. I kind of missed it there for a bit.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:31 PM   #36
Prowler
Emperor

What about Opera? I first heard of it in like 2004 or 2005. Does anyone actually use that browser, though?
Old 08-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #37
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I haven't ever used that one.

Though with XP slowly losing support and seeing that browser still has a version that supports it, I did download the installer recently to save as a backup option in case Firefox fully bails on me.

My poor computer is going to totally outlive its browser support. It's weird that the internet will be what eventually forces me to upgrade, not the computer itself. (And god I don't want that awful operating system Windows has moved to. Irks me trying to help my mom with her laptop as it's impossible to find half the stuff I need to get into.)
Old 08-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #38
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

The "old internet" was weird. AOL chat rooms and instant messaging. Nobody had profile pictures. I remember getting snail mail pictures from someone I met online and a handwritten letter. Newsgroups, mIRC, crappy AOL websites, busy signals for hours before finally connecting then getting booted off. I used to download portions of songs in .wav and realaudio formats, before .mp3s. Then when .mp3s became a thing, I spent an average of a half hour to download one song. Then I was the first of my friends to get a cd burner, so I burned cds for all of my friends. Ah, the old days.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #39
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I still use mp3's, and have a video-to-mp3 converter to pull stuff from YouTube to add to my music library. Media Player is probably my most used program, even if there are better or newer ones. I am happy with it.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #40
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Now, I have a different era of "old internet" in my mind. I remember custom websites, but I especially remember the days of Albino Black Sheep and Newgrounds, where Youtube and said videos were...

...experimental...

What can we say, Flash was new and everyone was getting their paws on it.

(Somehow that one predicted the future with Voldemort attacking Hogwarts killing Snape . Potter Puppet Pals really came to its own in live action though)

I checked and it still exists!

But, I can say for a fact that people animating their own videos and sharing them online was a brand new frontier of creativity (if you can call it that in the "lol randumz squee" era of the internet), but it's really a lost art to make something amusing and dumb to the denizens of the internet.

The great thing about it is that a lot of the people behind these videos did go on to do great things. Neil and Emmy Cicierega were a sibling duo working on Potter Puppet Pals and ended up launching entire careers off that. Neil's still a comedian and a musician; Emmy is a storyboard artist. They've both worked on Gravity Falls! Neil writing a song and Emmy storyboarding for season two (and for the same ending credits gag).

So yeah, I can say I do miss the time when the internet was even more of an untamed wilderness than it is now. Mostly because it was a time of people really throwing more things at the wall to see what sticks than it is now.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 08-07-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote