The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 03-15-2023, 07:55 AM   #1
PatchyTurtlePower
Mouser

Repair for Pizza Thrower

I recently bought an original pizza thrower. It was one of my favorite TMNT toys when I was a kid. My son is finally old enough to appreciate the turtles and I’m enjoying playing with all of my old toys with him. So, the pizza thrower turns on but the pizzas won’t launch because it seems that the mechanism that spins to launch them is missing a component. It engages and spins but is too small to contact the pizzas. Does anyone have a picture of the inside of this toy? Specifically what the left side from the top view looks like so I can attempt to fix it? Or if anyone has had a similar issue and can give me advice on what specifically to purchase (I’m thinking something along the lines of a rubber O ring) I’d appreciate it. Thank you!
PatchyTurtlePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:13 AM   #2
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

I'm not the most mechanically minded person in the forum, but I had a similar issue. When I push them forward, even just a bit, the mechanism grabs them and fires them through. Might be something to try? I know it doesn't "fix" the issue, but might at least hold you over until someone who actually deserves to splice his username with Donatello takes over and gives you some solid advice.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:56 AM   #3
PatchyTurtlePower
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
I'm not the most mechanically minded person in the forum, but I had a similar issue. When I push them forward, even just a bit, the mechanism grabs them and fires them through. Might be something to try? I know it doesn't "fix" the issue, but might at least hold you over until someone who actually deserves to splice his username with Donatello takes over and gives you some solid advice.
I tried that. Unfortunately it didn’t work. It seems there is probably some something missing from the spinning gizmo. Thanks for the input!
Old 03-15-2023, 09:22 AM   #4
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Might be a crazy idea but you could look on ebay for one of the rereleased/remade for the newer series for replacement parts.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 01:33 PM   #5
ToSte
Hench Mutant

Likely a foam or rubber contact pad on the wheel has worn down. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to make a new one.
ToSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:33 PM   #6
PatchyTurtlePower
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToSte View Post
Likely a foam or rubber contact pad on the wheel has worn down. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to make a new one.
That’s exactly what I’m trying to confirm/find out. Hoping to get as close to the original as possible
Old 03-16-2023, 06:43 AM   #7
Meow
Stone Warrior

Interesting coincidence... Upon seeing this thread I got tempted to pull out the pizza thrower from the shelf again and see if it's properly shooting the discs. Because me - very clever - decided to buy batteries after I obtained a pizza thrower some years ago but never put in the batteries to see if it's actually working. Also me - again very clever - totally forgot there's an on/off switch on top of the pizza thrower.

So when I put in the batteries today I pressed the button on the side - nothing happened ... of course. Having not remembered how the pizza thrower is operated I thought I'd need to not only gently push the button on the side but a little more until a click or something. Well ... that got the button stuck inside with no chance to swivel it out again.

Yup, I had to open the pizza thrower to get the stuck button unstuck and find proper lead again. In any way it wasn't bad because opening up the pizza thrower was necessary since the wheel that makes the discs spin was stuck due to not using it for a very long time. Once I gave it a little twist in on-state for the switch it started to spin like crazy - and with that also tossed some oil/grease along as well.

With no further adue, here's the picture I guess you asked for:
Spoiler:

Old 03-16-2023, 07:04 PM   #8
PatchyTurtlePower
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Interesting coincidence... Upon seeing this thread I got tempted to pull out the pizza thrower from the shelf again and see if it's properly shooting the discs. Because me - very clever - decided to buy batteries after I obtained a pizza thrower some years ago but never put in the batteries to see if it's actually working. Also me - again very clever - totally forgot there's an on/off switch on top of the pizza thrower.

So when I put in the batteries today I pressed the button on the side - nothing happened ... of course. Having not remembered how the pizza thrower is operated I thought I'd need to not only gently push the button on the side but a little more until a click or something. Well ... that got the button stuck inside with no chance to swivel it out again.

Yup, I had to open the pizza thrower to get the stuck button unstuck and find proper lead again. In any way it wasn't bad because opening up the pizza thrower was necessary since the wheel that makes the discs spin was stuck due to not using it for a very long time. Once I gave it a little twist in on-state for the switch it started to spin like crazy - and with that also tossed some oil/grease along as well.

With no further adue, here's the picture I guess you asked for:
This is perfect! Exactly what I was looking for, I’ll work on it on my end and let you guys know what I come up with: thank you for all the help!
Old 03-16-2023, 07:14 PM   #9
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

wish https://myteefinestuff.com/ was still in business, could've probably got parts from him.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 01:43 PM   #10
nellyp
Stone Warrior

I was trying to remember that site the last couple of weeks and couldn’t for the life of me and google was no help. Sad to hear the site is no longer run though. I was looking for accessories for Pizza Tossin’ Don. I picked up the playmates rereleases of the Pizza Tossin’ Turtles but with no Donatello I went to eBay and got one with the belt and 1 Pizza disc and was hoping to find the missing accessories.

As for the original post I remember my dad taking my Pizza Thrower apart as a kid for this same reason and he fixed it but I was too young to remember what he did at the time. Miss having that toy but it is hard to find a decent complete one.
nellyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:21 PM   #11
PatchyTurtlePower
Mouser

Hey guys. I was able to fix it. The orange foam/rubber disk had broken off or was missing from the toy. I replaced it with a rubber washer I got from Home Depot. Works great now! Thank you all for the help!