The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 09-10-2021, 08:45 PM   #21
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I wasn't even born yet.

I wish I would have gotten to experience it. It would have been awesomely nostalgic.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:05 PM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Haha, I've gotten like that with the Sega Saturn. Back when it was out, I played it like twice, maybe three times since almost nobody I knew had one, and the one guy who did quickly sold it off for a PS1. And at the time, it totally wasn't on my radar, but lately through watching stuff like Sega Lord X's videos I've gotten really nostalgic for it and kinda sad I missed out on it.

My wife had a Saturn, and a bunch of games for it, but somehow or other they vanished a long time ago. She thinks her Mom sold it all off at one point but she denies it. We bought one a few years ago, but we only have like four games for it because those games are f*cking stupid expensive, now. Really pisses both of us off.
I grew up with both the N64 and the Saturn. My brother got both of them back in the day. The Saturn was very expensive at first but its price went down A LOT about a year after it came out due to not selling very well.

The Saturn did have a good start in Portugal tho. Sega was the KING in Portugal between 1990 and 1995 with the Mega Drive outselling the SNES by a alrge margin. I remember Vritua Fighter 2 having a lot of hype and there being a videogame TV show contest where teenage contestants played Vritua Fighter 2 against each other in the final in a best out of 5 match.

The PS1 actually didn't stand out much at first here, but around a year or so later it dethroned the Saturn and now Portugal was all about Sony consoles and still is to this day.

I liked the Saturn a lot. It was our first 3d system and our first CD game system. VF2, Virtua Cop 2 with the light gun, Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix, Virtual On, etc. All pretty fun exclusives and great games for their time. The Saturn had a lot of good fighting games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Modern kids will never understand the feeling of seeing Mario 64 on a screen for the first time. It blew my mind. That game alone was enough of a reason to buy an N64. Modern gamers cannot understand the impact that game had on that generation. And then Ocarina of time came out and it was even better. Still two of the best games ever made.
I agree 100% with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I dunno. It's not very Zelda like.
Well, it certainly doesn't look that different anymore bow that we have BOTW. I've been enjoying BOTW a lot, but it clearly is the most different Zelda game I've ever played after Adventure of Link. I liked that they did things differently, but I'm not sure I like the idea of BOTW becoming the blueprint for all future Zelda games now. Seems like we won't get a traditional Zelda game again for a long time...
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #23
The Deadman
Foot Elite

It's an underrated gem (to me at least), but does anyone remember the 2nd Battletanx game? That was my 2nd ever N64 game and that was so much fun. You're just going around shooting sh*t with giant tanks.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:28 AM   #24
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Never had Nintendo 64, well, I've never heard if it until 2001, the year it was discontinued
Was the Nintendo 64 a big hit in Russia?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:04 PM   #25
sdp
-

The N64 is my favorite console, it came out at the perfect age for me when I was a little kid but still old enough to actually be able to understand the games I was playing and be able to enjoy them fully. Here is a small Nintendo 64 tribute post, but yeah I don't care about revisionist history, as a kid you don't have all the money to buy games weekly/monthly so having just a couple of games a year was more than enough for me and those multiplayer games will forever be golden years of my childhood.

Favorite game: Perfect Dark
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:15 AM   #26
Overlord

Birthday and Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
as a kid you don't have all the money to buy games weekly/monthly so having just a couple of games a year was more than enough for me
Your own birthday and Christmas. Those were the only two opportunities through the year for many children and teenagers who grew up in the 1970's, 80's, 90's and early 2000's to get new video games.

In general, more children today have parents who grew up with video games and still play them. That makes them more willing to buy video games for their children.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #27
IMJ
Emperor

I feel like I remember reading about the N64 "Technology" in a Nintendo Power YEARS before it actually came out. I think there were pix of Killer Instinct and news that it was going to be in arcades.

K.I. was released in '94, but is it possible that this was teased in Nintendo Power in something like '90 or 91'? I can't recall...
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:18 AM   #28
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I feel like I remember reading about the N64 "Technology" in a Nintendo Power YEARS before it actually came out. I think there were pix of Killer Instinct and news that it was going to be in arcades.

K.I. was released in '94, but is it possible that this was teased in Nintendo Power in something like '90 or 91'? I can't recall...
These were played at the Winter CES in Las Vegas in January 1994 (not 1995 as the Youtube video film claims).

Old 10-02-2021, 02:25 PM   #29
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Your own birthday and Christmas. Those were the only two opportunities through the year for many children and teenagers who grew up in the 1970's, 80's, 90's and early 2000's to get new video games.

In general, more children today have parents who grew up with video games and still play them. That makes them more willing to buy video games for their children.
In my case, I got games of my own on Birthdays and New Year holidays, however, I have few friends with whom I constantly traded carts back and forth, so most of my knowledge of NES library comes from them. And we didn't had Blockbuster-like chains in Russia.

Quote:

Development of N64 had started around 1993. Original KI was released in 1994 and its development was started in 1993 as well. As for KI being used to demonstrate power of the upcoming Nintendo 64, well, it was fake marketing at its finest.

Nintendo was trying to convince people that "Project Reality" (early name for N64) would be capable of an amazing graphics and they even touted original arcade Killer Instinct as an example of it. Thing is KI arcade board was nothing like N64 hardware. The only thing they had in common was a processor. Everything else was specifically created to run KI.

And if they were trying to convince people that "Project Reality" will be able to run 3D games of that quality, it also was fake, since a) nothing in KI was 3D in the first place (characters were 2D sprites, arenas were FMVs streamed from a hard drive) and b) you'd need astronomically expensive hardware to handle real 3D of that quality back in the day, which is the reason arcade KI was not a real 3D game.

Its not modern developers a "more honest" using CGI trailers for their games, but with a modern power of hardware it is possible to almost reach that quality, whereas back in the 90s it was just nothing, but a fiction.

Last edited by Sumac; 10-02-2021 at 02:41 PM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:47 PM   #30
IMJ
Emperor

Killer Instinct always looked like awkard claymation to me, to be honest. I was never much of a fan.....
Old 10-02-2021, 11:12 PM   #31
sdp
-

The N64 was only revealed like 2 years before it came out, but it was supposed to come out in 1995 so a whole other year after the original date so it felt forever. Magazines and even shows like nintendomania kept talking about the Nintendo 64 coming out in the future, but it was only a 2 year wait at most. Nowadays it's normal to wait 2 years for something like a new console. but the difference is we're adults now so time passes quicker.

When you are a kid waiting a year is a big deal, there's a big difference between being in the 2nd grade and the 3rd grade, 6th and 7th etc, so waiting 2 years is a lifetime as a kid. The Switch has been out for nearly 5 years now, by that point the N64 felt like it had been out forever and we were ready for a new Nintendo console, but that's only because as a kid 5 years is a lot, it was basically all your elementary/primary school run, gamecube lasting 5 years meant it was all of your middle school and most of your high school..
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:29 AM   #32
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Killer Instinct always looked like awkard claymation to me, to be honest. I was never much of a fan.....
Yeah, those early 90s models indeed look like claymation. Awkward choppy animation doesn't help.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:13 AM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I didn't mind that and found it somewhat unique at the time. What weirded me away from Killer Instinct was the ridiculous combos in play that you had to figure out. I remember always being beaten in the arcade by little kids who'd mash buttons and suddenly you'd hear "Ultraaaaaa comboooo!!!" and I'd be KOed.

Too much.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:37 AM   #34
Overlord

Some video films:

Old 10-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #35
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I dunno. It's not very Zelda like.
I find it Zelda like. It had puzzle solving and all that, like the others. The only difference was that it ran in a three-day cycle and it was surreal, sorta like Link's Awakening. I will admit that Majora's Mask is one of the darkest games in the franchise's history.
Quote:

I only got something like that for Christmas and it wasn't much, but I appreciated it. I knew how much game carts cost. I remember only twice in my life I received games outside of Christmas. In 1993, since it was my first time being stuck at home all summer because I was finally too old to go to the Summer Program I would do (cut off was 11 or 12) and my mother took me to the K-Mart and said I could pick out some games. I was dumbstruck, and even asking if she was sure because, as mentioned, I knew how much that cost and games are "want" not a "need". She said it was okay. I got Star Fox, Mario is Missing, Super Mario Kart, and a couple of others (mind is blank at the moment). The other time was in 1996. My aunt gave me Super Mario RPG for my birthday.

I didn't grow up with an allowance or anything like that, so I could never buy my own games. Even the SNES, I didn't ask for that, I woke up to find it under the tree for Christmas. I'd made honor roll in school. lol When the N64 was about to come out, my parents asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and I listed off SNES games. I was stubborn over the N64 since I felt that the SNES still had life in it, but that Christmas, I ended up with the N64. lol I was thankful for it. ^_^

Last edited by ssjup81; 10-15-2021 at 01:23 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:24 PM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I find it Zelda like. It had puzzle solving and all that, like the others. The only difference was that it ran in a three-day cycle and it was surreal, sorta like Link's Awakening. I will admit that Majora's Mask is one of the darkest games in the franchise's history.
Maybe "dark" in the sense that the world is perpetually about to definitively end in 0-3 days. I'd just go with "weirdest," and I don't mean that in a good or bad way.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:42 AM   #37
Overlord

Quote:
Killer Instinct was just Nintendo's answer of all those versus fighting video games who flooded the international market following Capcom's success with Street Fighter II.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #38
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Killer Instinct was just Nintendo's answer of all those versus fighting video games who flooded the international market following Capcom's success with Street Fighter II.
Oh absolutely it was. And that was the point when making a solid fighting game wasn't enough - you needed a gimmick to differentiate it. KI's were those chain combos.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:06 AM   #39
Overlord

We have forgotten Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire from 1996.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:59 PM   #40
Leo656
The Franchise

I still gotta go back and finish that one. I played it last year and got really far into it, but I still have like two levels to go I think.

It was definitely a huge deal at the time, but it's aged rather poorly. It's very, very clunky and thus more difficult than it has to be. I'd still say it's worth a look for history's sake, though; that was the biggest Star Wars thing to come out since RotJ so it got a ton of hype at the time.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote