The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-27-2020, 08:04 PM   #141
Adventuremaster18
Mouser

Despite the writing not being the greatest thing in the world, 2018 TMNT does excel in style and animation. It almost looks like a Studio Trigger cartoon at times. It's definitely the most well animated series, but I feel it goes more for style over substance at times, still, it's better than something like the Bay Turtles or Next Mutation.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:10 PM   #142
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventuremaster18 View Post
Despite the writing not being the greatest thing in the world, 2018 TMNT does excel in style and animation. It almost looks like a Studio Trigger cartoon at times. It's definitely the most well animated series, but I feel it goes more for style over substance at times, still, it's better than something like the Bay Turtles or Next Mutation.
I personally think its style and substance especially after episode 13 and yeah you can tell the animators enjoy Trigger shows especially in this scene.

Also no Leo still isn't leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klunk1234 View Post
Donnie with those eyebrows and all that equipment
I personally enjoy his eyebrows.

Last edited by PApagreg; 01-27-2020 at 09:18 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:12 PM   #143
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventuremaster18 View Post
I don't really believe they should ditch all Fred Wolf stuff. Whether you like it or not (I'm not particularly a fan of the Fred Wolf TMNT cartoon itself), it's part of the history of TMNT and will forever be a part of it. I like Mirage TMNT, but it's not a flawless comic either.

I like a lot of the adaptations such as the 2012 TMNT for reinventing aspects of Fred Wolf and doing something somewhat interesting with them.

*snip*

I feel paying homage to various versions to a good way to respect the history of TMNT, regardless of which version you started with.
I don't think anyone has any issue with some Fred Wolf homages. I think the issue arises when Fred Wolf starts to dominate and squeeze out what is original.

Cute homages are fine. Not so much the full fledged cameos of Fred Wolf Turtles and replacement of 2k12's two original henchmen with this iteration's version of B&R to blatently please the Fred Wolf fans.

Then there was the second BayTurtles movie, heavily drawing on Fred Wolf, over any other iteration.

I don't think they 'ditched' Fred Wolf. On the contrary, they have relied on it too much, to the point it ends up frustrating some fans who just want to see something different.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:19 AM   #144
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

TMNT 2K3 just didn't grab me - Rise hasn't done that either.

2K12 and OT are okay to watch in small doses, but I doubt that I could binge watch through either series through all the seasons.

I wasn't crazy for Secret of the Ooze or TMNT III - the later movies might have redeemed both 2 and 3. TMNT 2007 is still one that I haven't seen yet.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:07 PM   #145
Garfield
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post

- I hate Bebop & Rocksteady.
Hate might be too strong a word but I don't love Bebop and Rocksteady. I prefer Tokka and Rahzar as a mutant duo. Kept it to myself for so long because I didn't want to start breaking hearts.

But Bebop and Rocksteady were the worse in the Ninja Turtles Out of the Shadows movie. They were so obnoxious the way they were always shouting "My Man!" to each other, the potty humor and the way they couldn't keep their hands off of each other. Annoying.

Last edited by Garfield; 04-19-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:11 PM   #146
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
I don't think anyone has any issue with some Fred Wolf homages.
I do. We've had decades of more than enough of them. Enough is enough.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:41 PM   #147
mikey0
Foot Elite

- The NECA TMNT “Cartoon Version” 2 packs are lousy. I can’t believe that Shredder and Leo and Bebop and Rocksteady packs are hard to find. The turtles never made battle faces long enough in the FW cartoon for that to be a definitive image of the FW TMNT.

- The variant turtles (Storage Shell, Headdroppin’, Mutations, Talkin’, Movie Star) from the early 90s were not on par with the ‘88 originals.

- The hard-head TMNT 1st basic assortment figures were not on the same level of creativity as the soft-head TMNT 1st basic assortment figures.

- The blue stripe, orange and blue pocket, and PRESS Aprils never should have been made.

- Sewer Surfer Michelangelo was not a disguise for Michelangelo just as the ensembles for Space Cadet Raphael and Leo The Sewer Surfer were not.

I’ll think of more later.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:17 PM   #148
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

I like the 2007 TMNT movie.

It's not without its problems. The villains are largely forgettable. I suppose what I enjoyed was seeing how the family dynamic changed once Shredder was removed from the equation. So many incarnations show the turtles in direct conflict with the Shredder/the Foot that it was interesting to me to check up on them once that threat was no longer ever-present.

I hear so many fans dismiss this movie. I really enjoy it.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:04 PM   #149
Turtle Soup
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer View Post

It's not without its problems. The villains are largely forgettable. I suppose what I enjoyed was seeing how the family dynamic changed once Shredder was removed from the equation. So many incarnations show the turtles in direct conflict with the Shredder/the Foot that it was interesting to me to check up on them once that threat was no longer ever-present.

It's a decent movie. Could've been great with a storyline that actually had to do with the Turtles.
Turtle Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #150
Turtle Soup
Thug

The first season (5 episodes) of the OT is top shelf TMNT, as good as any other TMNT media. After season 1, it of course changes drastically.
Turtle Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:24 PM   #151
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Soup View Post
The first season (5 episodes) of the OT is top shelf TMNT, as good as any other TMNT media. After season 1, it of course changes drastically.
Have you seen season 7 of the OT? (Not including the European vacation).

I would argue that its the closest to season 1 that the show ever reaches again in terms of tone and style.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:31 PM   #152
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Have you seen season 7 of the OT? (Not including the European vacation).

I would argue that its the closest to season 1 that the show ever reaches again in terms of tone and style.
I wish TMNT could capture the tone of that and season 8 again. It set a bar that might never be surpassed. Humor, action, character set, tone, its all there and almost perfect.

I also see a potential in having an crimelord figure that is an actual threat. I cite Big Louie as the best possibility for that, but even IDW name dropped him to kill him. That could have been done for Mad Dof McMutt and Pinky McFingers.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:24 PM   #153
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
The mini-series? Technically, the 1988 episodes were season 1 episodes. Lionsgate changed the arrangement of seasons for the DVDs in the 2000s.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #154
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer View Post

Agree. It’s also the closest we’ll get to seeing Buffy in a TMNT movie and the characterization outside of the villains was great imo. Very good voice acting and fight scenes too.

Quote:
Agree, though I think seasons 7, 8 and 10 were nearly as good.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:23 PM   #155
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

The 2007 movie was awesome. I wish they'd continued with that incarnation. The hint at the return of the Shredder got my hopes up. Then they got Bayed.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:17 AM   #156
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm kind of in the middle of the road with the 2007 movie. It's pretty good for what it is but... that storyline really could have been for anything, and it doesn't really feel like the best fit for a TMNT movie. At the very least, it's probably not the movie that the brand needed in that time, in that place, in that space, to "reignite the fire" and launch a new series of TMNT films, which is what it absolutely needed (and was most likely expected) to do. As much as people say they're sick of seeing Shredder and the same ol' thang over and over, something a lot more familiar was probably what was necessary and probably would have done better business, if we're being completely honest. Only the stuff with Leo and Raph felt "authentic" to TMNT, the rest was like a generic video game plot that the Turtles got Mad Libbed into. If that makes any sense.

It's not bad, I mean I like it fine, probably more than most based on what I've seen over the years, but it definitely didn't quite hit the mark and probably should have been a completely different movie. Yeah, it probably would have been "more of the same", BUT, they also probably would have ended up making more than one of 'em, so... six of one, y'know?

Also, the wrong guy went over in that Raph/Leo fight. Booooo. You know they booked that sh*t for the fangirls; many a feminine shriek of joy was heard in my theater when the fight ended. An' I'm like "Buuuuullllll SH*T, pal!" But then I didn't book it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:24 AM   #157
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Also, the wrong guy went over in that Raph/Leo fight. Booooo. You know they booked that sh*t for the fangirls; many a feminine shriek of joy was heard in my theater when the fight ended. An' I'm like "Buuuuullllll SH*T, pal!" But then I didn't book it.
By all accounts, Leonardo should've and would've won that fight, had it not been for the fact that he was hesitating after The Night walker's Big reveal.

I do have to wonder though, why was Leo so against the Night walker and by extension, Raphael being a vigilante?
Old 02-23-2020, 02:36 AM   #158
Leo656
The Franchise

Because if anyone was gonna dress up like a badass and go play super-hero it was gonna be HIM, dammit!

I know some people absolutely hate how Leo was written in that movie to be sort of a petty hypocrite, but I found it kind of natural. Lots of people in his sort of position naturally carry a bit of a chip on 'em. Especially older brothers in semi-large families.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #159
CyberCubed
Overlord

For the original cartoon my favorite seasons are Season 1, Season 7, Season 3, Season 8, Season 6, Season 2, and then select eps of Season 4-5, Season 10, and Season 9, and lastly Euro Vacation.

I think Season 6 of the original cartoon is very underrated. There's a lot of gems in that season and it feels like there was more action in it than the previous two seasons. Seasons 4 and 5 probably have the most "dud" episodes in it, but again there also some really good eps those seasons too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:12 PM   #160
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
For the original cartoon my favorite seasons are Season 1, Season 7, Season 3, Season 8, Season 6, Season 2, and then select eps of Season 4-5, Season 10, and Season 9, and lastly Euro Vacation.

I think Season 6 of the original cartoon is very underrated. There's a lot of gems in that season and it feels like there was more action in it than the previous two seasons. Seasons 4 and 5 probably have the most "dud" episodes in it, but again there also some really good eps those seasons too.
You just named every season of the cartoon as your favourite

Mine is season 3 overall.

Speaking of season 6, it might not be as well written as season 7, but the animation was just about as good and stayed consistent throughout the season which was a nice change of pace from the wildly different animation styles used in the previous seasons.

It had a pretty decent amount of action too as you said.

I think the first episode, Rock around the Block, was pretty good for giving General Traag the spotlight, and having him kick the turtles assess with complete ease.