The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 10-19-2020, 09:33 AM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

But most people are born with autism/aspergers, it isn't something that develops over time. Like someone isn't just born "normal" and then they "catch" aspergers....they're born with it, it's just that they didn't have anyone officially medically diagnose them with it.

I've seen people say they were in their 30's and just discovered they were autistic/asperger...they went through all their life and had no clue because nobody ever diagnosed them. Some people can go their whole life and have no clue they were ever "on the spectrum."
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:45 AM   #22
Leo656
The Franchise

I'unno, in some cases a horrific or traumatic event, or a serious and life-threatening illness, especially with a young child, have been known to cause them to display various symptoms reminiscent of autism that simply weren't present before. Becoming non-verbal or unresponsive, for example. Think "Tommy" from The Who, or the little kid in "Scrooged" who became mute after he saw his father get killed. Those things do happen in real life.

In fact, a lot of what we know now about some of those disorders, came from doctors working backwards and trying to figure out why and how those symptoms could manifest themselves in kids who had always been otherwise "normal"-functioning before. Their understanding came along gradually and then they started to recognize those same symptoms and traits manifesting in people who were born that way.

Generally, you're correct, it's most often something a person is born with. But there are also things that in rare cases can trigger a person into having near-identical symptoms to some of the various disorders.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:34 PM   #23
Prowler
Emperor

Well, I'm sure a lot of people weren't diagnosed properly back in the day. Which is why it might seem like there's been a big increase in number of people with aspergers and autism in the last couple of decades.

No idea if I know anyone irl that's been diagnosed with such disorders. It's not like it's something I ask. And a lot of people are probably ashamed to admit it publicly because they fear rejection from others.

Cubed mentions kids with violent outbursts and such, but that can't be the only possible symptom. No classmate I've had in my life has displayed such behaviour in class against teachers or anything. And the ones who got into fights often were either provoked or were the ones doing the bullying.

As for people who are "on the spectrum"? Well, that's a different manner. If I think hard enough, I'm sure I can remember a few examples of people I know irl who fit the bill. But, then again, I was relalyt susorised when Turo told me in the AVGN thread that James Rolfe attended a special Ed school when he was a kid. He never came across to me as an autistic person since he seems to not struggle with people and everyone seems to like him. If anything, I'd expect Mike Matei to be the one that suffers from such disorder.

As for me, personally, I've always been a bit shy and had trouble with people. More so when I was a kid. As a teenager I was pretty much a shut in because I was bullied when I was 12-13 and that made me adopt a defense mechanism which was avoiding people as much as necessary. I've developed deep trust issues due to that. Whether that means there's something wrong with me or not I don't know.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:05 AM   #24
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

I suspect people like Walken or Barbra has traits of it , Einstein as well i bet

So as you see people with AS arent dummies even though media portrays it that way
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:41 PM   #25
Prowler
Emperor

The problem with Aspergers is, it is less severe than autism. Which makes it harder to diagnose. And I'm sure you don't have to experience every single symptom of it to get diagnosed.

Autism affects language and cognitive skills, which I believe aspergers doesn't really.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote