The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 12-24-2005, 12:44 AM   #21
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Yeah, they lost some money on Virtual Boy when it hit $99, but it's technically a portable. They've never lost a dime on a console sale, DS, or Gameboy iteration.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:42 PM   #22
Turtledude2k3
Banned

The virtual boy was good but was way too bulky and had only 2 colors. the games were fine and I actually enjoyed playing them. it's too bad it failed.

however nintendo never failed with their gameboy lineup and the nintendo ds..
Turtledude2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:50 AM   #23
R-iZZy
The Long Con

Will the Revolution actually have online play? I was hoping Nintendo would actually get into that. I mean c'mon, even Sony and Microsoft are doing it. I'm not hoping Nintendo does it because their competitors are, but so that all the Nintendo fans can hook-up and play each other in Melee action and whatnot, just like the Sony and Microsoft people do.

R-iZZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:53 AM   #24
Barkworm
Super Moderator

They will have online play and it will be free.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #25
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Turtle Nincompoop
Will the Revolution actually have online play? I was hoping Nintendo would actually get into that. I mean c'mon, even Sony and Microsoft are doing it. I'm not hoping Nintendo does it because their competitors are, but so that all the Nintendo fans can hook-up and play each other in Melee action and whatnot, just like the Sony and Microsoft people do.
Nintendo WiFi Connection. It's caught on faster then Xbox Live has, and it's free (at least for all Nintendo developed and published games. some 3rd party games might charge but, unless it's an MMORPG, I doubt it.)
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #26
Drtooth
Foot Elite

Well, I feel Nintendo suffers from NOT having the same, overrealistic, bang bang, shoot up hookers, let's see how far we can go with a M rating, military propaganda, GTA wanabe, celebrity voiced bull honkey taht PS2 and X-Box had the drop on. It's funny... the video gaming indusrty is doing so well, it's hurting itself.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:01 PM   #27
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Yes, becuase the DS is really hurting from lack of those games. Must be why they can't ship units fast enough to Japanese retail, and why the crazy games are million sellers there.

Must also be why the DS is still beating out the PSP here in sales, and in games.

The market is shifting. It's going to be an interesting E3 this year, for sure.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:17 PM   #28
Barkworm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwgtrunks
Must also be why the DS is still beating out the PSP here in sales, and in games.
I don't know where you get your information from but I've been following NPD's sales numbers for the past year and according to them the PSP and DS sales are on a par. Some months the DS is selling better, some months the PSP is. In December for example the PSP sold about 50.000 units more (the GBA owned them both btw).
Old 01-31-2006, 08:23 AM   #29
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

NPD numbers also don't track some major chains like Walmart and Toys R Us.

You're also not taking into account that the DS had that nice head start which the PSP still hasn't caught up to.

And NPD tracks by how much money something makes, not how many units it pushes. the DS and it's games are cheaper then the PSP and it's games. And what it all really breaks down to is the tie in ratio. The DS has to sell two systems to even come close to one PSP sale, and often the same case applies to the games.

If the system's selling but the games are not, and there's another system out there where the games are selling in the millions and the system's doing so so, you'd be insane not to go to the place where the games sell.

This is why the Japanese tracking is better. It's based on units sold, and includes 99% of all retail numbers.

I also don't know where you've been getting your NPD numbers at because they haven't released official ones for some time now. The last time we got numbers, they were fake one sent out to see who was leaking information.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:38 PM   #30
Barkworm
Super Moderator

I get them from a German page which has always been reliable.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:15 PM   #31
Turtledude2k3
Banned

DS is such an amazing piece of technlogy. I had my ds for almost a year now. Next month it's gonna be one year.

Nintendo has announced a few days back of Nintendo ds Lite, which is a smaller-sleeker version of the nintendo ds with diffferent bright settings, smaller and has buttons in a better layout plus the microphone is going to be moved.

The price will be higher than the ds but it's no big deal. I'll get one..

Btw, nintendo ds is winning right now because PSP has no games that are worth at the moment.
Turtledude2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:28 AM   #32
Barkworm
Super Moderator

Quote:
And NPD tracks by how much money something makes, not how many units it pushes.
Well, the numbers I got are always about sold units.

These are the complete sales numbers for December, November, October and September:

And here are the total sales numbers for the US:
  1. PS2: 32.383.985
  2. GBA: 31.805.929
  3. XBox: 14.095.752
  4. GC: 10.883.650
  5. NDS: 3.817.883
  6. PSP: 3.633.964
  7. XBox 360: 607.343

The DS has been selling slightly better for the past months, in December the PSP has. In total, the DS has sold 200.000 units more which isn't even that much considering the head start. That's why I said the sales are on a par.
Just trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Barkworm; 02-01-2006 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:47 AM   #33
Peanut
Second Gear

It's also ridiculous considering PSP has about 3 games worth anything. There must be a lot of PSP's plugged into the charger since it came out.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #34
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Again though, you have to consider software sales. That's where the real money's at.

In the US, I don't recall any PSP games doing so well, even GTA:LS (infact, word is that the game did so poorly that they're making a PS2 version just to recoup development costs).

And if you take into consideration world wide sales, DS is totally dominating. More people own DS's the PSP's. Larger installed base with a focus entirely on gaming vs smaller installed base who have to balance gaming with movies and music.

Oh well. This thread wasn't a DS vs PSP thread, which just ends up (for now) being a 'who's is bigger' discussion... that I always seem to fall into. do'h.

Nintendo is still considered the best software development house in the industry. One just has to look at the quality first party titles out on the DS for proof that they're not loosing their flair. Mario Kart DS is EASILY the best in the series, and that's saying something. And only Miyamoto could come up with something like Nintendogs, and only Nintendo would risk putting that sort of game on the market.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:36 PM   #35
Jed
Stone Warrior

Quote:
In the US, I don't recall any PSP games doing so well, even GTA:LS (infact, word is that the game did so poorly that they're making a PS2 version just to recoup development costs).
WHAT WHAT WHAT?! Aw man it'd be so cool if they did that, I really resent not being able to get that game cause I didn't pay out the nose for a PSP.
I am Frank-Zappa-as-imagined-by-the-editor-of-a-famous-rock-&-roll-magazine. I am an anachronism who makes the ugliest music on the planet. I have no right to call myself a member of the human race. I am tasteless, untalented, pompous, arrogant, cruel, insensitive, vulgar and not a fun guy because I don't use drugs.

Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #36
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut
It's also ridiculous considering PSP has about 3 games worth anything. There must be a lot of PSP's plugged into the charger since it came out.
Everyone I know who has a PSP just uses it to watch movies and the only game they have for it is GTA.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:10 PM   #37
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Well don't. The official PSM confirmed it a while back, so you'll be getting it sometime around Summer.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:54 PM   #38
Peanut
Second Gear

About the PSP and DS selling stuff. How is it that PSP can be so close to DS, but DS is the fastest selling console in the history of Japan?
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #39
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

You mean that they're so close in North America? Yeah, they are. I don't get it either. I think most people here bought it for the movies while in Japan they don't seem to give a crap about Hollywood. I bought it for Ridge Racer and discovered the fun of watching videos on it later.

Sometimes I want to buy Kill Bill, but I hear a future release of the freeware PSP video converter will support 16:9, so I'll just rip it and King Kong when that's released and call it a day. For now, South Park and music videos ripped from MTV & VH1 will do me fine. I never put any movies on it due to the lack of true widescreen support on the encoders. Seriously, what the fu*k is the point of the widescreen when they won't let us use it? Probobly saving that upgrade for a future upgrade to get people to upgrade the firmware so as to not run Emulators and junk.

Last edited by ThirdMarioBro; 02-01-2006 at 06:55 PM.
ThirdMarioBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:46 PM   #40
Spitfire
Writer • Director

I don't really get why you would want to buy a PSP movie. The movies are insanely expensive. Their either the same price as a normal DVD or they cost more. Espcially if it's an older movie. I don't know if the PSP movies have extras but either way still to much for a mini DVD you can't even watch on your TV.