The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #41
hypnock
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Ninja Anole View Post
That's not how the scene reads, in my opinion. He actively tries to get them to leave the foot and join them, against Leo's protests, then abruptly drops everything and just shoots them unprovoked when Bebop mentions they were half human.
Yes, his first intention was to make them left Foot and join him. But that's because he thought they were originally animals, so he thought of them as comrades at the moment. Once he knew they were humans which he declared against (plus the reason I said before), they suddenly become enemies to him and he had to fight.
In short, Hob saw humans as his enemies if they had no benefit to him.

Image by Ben Chen
hypnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:08 PM   #42
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

I read that as Hob basically being racist against "half-breeds" like Bebop and Rocksteady, and the moment he realized they were humans co-opting mutantness they became the enemy. He's been so victimized by normal humans that he has an irrational hatred of them and attacks based on emotion more than logic. Again, I keep comparing him to Magneto in X-Men.

Love the shout out to the Mutanimals and their quest to save the world from humans. I keep calling this group "Anti-Mutanimals" for a reason too.

Looking forward to the Ghostbusters crossover based on the letter column. I'm all about learning more about Kitsune, the Rat King and their "family."
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #43
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Full summary and review of TMNT #39 at TMNT Entity.

Loving the character growth Donatello is having in the wake of Turtles in Time #4. He's feeling the weight of the world on his shoulders after witnessing that future, which goes a long way in explaining why he so tense and frustrated in this arc. It's also cool to see his rebellious side, which was prominent in the first year of the series, make a comeback with this arc.

Bebop and Rocksteady stole the show, though. Because of course they did. Waltz has gotten their voices down in the time since they first appeared (their use of slang and contractions was really inconsistent in Dustin Weaver's Villain Micro) and they're a whole lot of fun. I loved their reaction to Hob's attack; they couldn't give a damn about being shot, but prejudice against humans? That's not cool, man. That's not cool.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #44
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Full summary and review of TMNT #39 at TMNT Entity.

Loving the character growth Donatello is having in the wake of Turtles in Time #4. He's feeling the weight of the world on his shoulders after witnessing that future, which goes a long way in explaining why he so tense and frustrated in this arc. It's also cool to see his rebellious side, which was prominent in the first year of the series, make a comeback with this arc.

Bebop and Rocksteady stole the show, though. Because of course they did. Waltz has gotten their voices down in the time since they first appeared (their use of slang and contractions was really inconsistent in Dustin Weaver's Villain Micro) and they're a whole lot of fun. I loved their reaction to Hob's attack; they couldn't give a damn about being shot, but prejudice against humans? That's not cool, man. That's not cool.
Well said!
Old 10-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #45
ChosenOne
Banned

Why hasn't Hob injected Pete with the psychotropic serum already? Sure, the little guy might not be much use in a fight, but I'm sure he could at least handle a gun or two if he got the same upgrade as Slash.

Also... Was the use of "prejudice" instead of "prejudiced" intentional? I'm probably looking too much into it, given Rocksteady's running gag of "rhinosaurus" and whatnot, but that took me out of the moment in an otherwise superb issue (felt far too short, though).
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #46
Martin
Stone Warrior

So what happens when Hob learns that the turtles and splinter are actually reincarnated humans? Will he turn on them?

This also makes me think as to when he might find out the truth. It seems to me that a confrontation with Shredder would be the most probable of times, which means things could get really interesting.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #47
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Spoiler:
So it takes three TMNT, Splinter, Old Hob, Slash, Mondo Gecko, Herman The Hermit Crab, Alopex and Nobody,10 people to take on two, Bebop and Rocksteady? I remember when it could have been just one of them who could outwit them after a brief fight and that would be it! Tom and gang ready must be trying to show the threat level of these two underrated yey much loved characters.

Spoiler:
More of the Rat King to come and facing The Ghostbusters? I am pleased. I do wonder who the third member of this mystic pantheon would be. New or renewed?

When will we see more of the Neutrinos? I loved Krang War and was hoping to see those guys again before too long! They have to be involved in the upcoming battle against the Technodrome!
Old 10-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #48
snake
Disgusting

I totally forgot this was coming out today. I'm getting it off the app right now.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #49
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Kamikaze View Post
I read that as Hob basically being racist against "half-breeds" like Bebop and Rocksteady, and the moment he realized they were humans co-opting mutantness they became the enemy. He's been so victimized by normal humans that he has an irrational hatred of them and attacks based on emotion more than logic. Again, I keep comparing him to Magneto in X-Men.
I think that's about right, that's how I interpreted it
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
[url=http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2014/10/tmnt-idw-39.html]Bebop and Rocksteady stole the show, though. Because of course they did. Waltz has gotten their voices down in the time since they first appeared (their use of slang and contractions was really inconsistent in Dustin Weaver's Villain Micro) and they're a whole lot of fun. I loved their reaction to Hob's attack; they couldn't give a damn about being shot, but prejudice against humans? That's not cool, man. That's not cool.
I loved that! Being a black man and a white man who are close friends, its likely that they've faced some prejudice in their time, and as dumb as they are its cool that they've worked through it. they may be criminals, but they're progressive criminals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Why hasn't Hob injected Pete with the psychotropic serum already? Sure, the little guy might not be much use in a fight, but I'm sure he could at least handle a gun or two if he got the same upgrade as Slash.
If Hob does inject Pete with the psychotropic serum, I hope he talks like a mobster afterwards, like he's Don Corleone, which would be like an homage to that trio of Italian gangster pigeons from the Animaniacs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
So what happens when Hob learns that the turtles and splinter are actually reincarnated humans? Will he turn on them?

This also makes me think as to when he might find out the truth. It seems to me that a confrontation with Shredder would be the most probable of times, which means things could get really interesting.
I think Hob may eventually warm up to the idea of working with humans, or at least I hope so. If he realizes how many people are involved in organizations like PETA or ELF, maybe he'll come around. that would be cool character development. maybe Hob will realize that we're all reincarnated, we just have differing levels of awareness of our past lives.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #50
Ninjinister
無問題

I love Mr. O'Neil's withdrawal freakout.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #51
TheCollector
Hench Mutant

Ok, loved the art in this issue. Especially on Alopex. But, is this the first time we've seen her in panel with a human? Cause dang was she short compared to Angel. I was kinda taken by surprise by this.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:21 AM   #52
SDCC
Foot Soldier

Another strong month!

Here's mt reivew - http://www.superdstuff.com/2014/10/tmnt-39.html

How are they going to deal with everything being thrown at them? Hob will be a liability, whilst Krang and Shredder won't line up politely to be taken out?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #53
neatoman
Emperor

I was a little disappointed at some parts of this, I mean I did enjoy Bebop and Rocksteady being dumb and what not, but some parts felt a little like a letdown. Most of it just felt like set-up and that's fine but it's not really that satisfying...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #54
ctt4lfecw
Stone Warrior

First of all I love the cover, because it looks like the back lot of my job with the water tower. This was packed with stuff, looks like some ish is going to go down soon. And like I said in the bigger threat discussion between Krang and Shredder,
Spoiler:
I got to agree with Donatello, they should focus on Krang. I love this stuff with Splinter disagreeing.
ctt4lfecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #55
Blossombrooks
Stone Warrior

I did really enjoy this issue, still loving Mondo!! His design is so slick.
I am however slightly gutted that no one sided with Donnie, I really thought just one of his brothers (Mikey maybe?) would have his back. It does make for a good story though, Don's withdrawal into himself is going to be interesting and I suspect his hurt will run deep. I agree with him about the bigger threat being Krang, I only hope it's not too late before the others agree with him too.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #56
snake
Disgusting

Loved it. Excellent issue, IDW. I can't wait for next month.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #57
Ninjinister
無問題

In addition I really loved "The Walkabout" in New Animated Adventures 16.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #58
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

So one other thought on #39... what's going on with April's dad? He seemed to be pretty freaking enraged over a simple issue with a coffee maker. I mean, caffeine is a hell of a drug and all, but I'm wondering if we're not getting foreshadowing to some major side-effects to his miracle cure coming down the road. Maybe Casey isn't going to be the only one with daddy issues.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:48 AM   #59
Veg
Random Punk

Loving Donatellos frustration. Makes me excited when I reread Turtles in Time
Veg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #60
corvus
Stone Warrior

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Kamikaze View Post

Love the shout out to the Mutanimals and their quest to save the world from humans. I keep calling this group "Anti-Mutanimals" for a reason too.
Well not racism, that'd suggest Hob was somehow partaking in the systematic persecution of humans. He's very magneto like though, I knew right off the bat he'd have a problem with mutants that were human first. I wonder if he'll ever be reunited with that kid from the micro or maybe it'll be revealed that the mutagen contains human DNA hence the human attributes. Either way, I see him moving in a different direction.

Tags
tom waltz