The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 03-14-2021, 03:15 AM   #1
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Is anyone somewhat tired of CG animation?

Does anyone here ever get tired/burnt out from CG in animation? I enjoy some CG movies and cartoons but I feel like it's becoming more than the norm. It's rare that you see a 2D animated film these days. The latest My Little Pony movie was the first in a long while. There's still anime but that's its own style.

I do like me some Pixar films but no matter how entertaining they are, I can't seem to enjoy them nearly as much as classics such as Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, Aladdin, or a Goofy Movie.

2D animated cartoons are still existent which is nice and while I'm not to big on a lot of flash animated shows, there's exceptions such as Friendship is Magic. I prefer squash and stretches and traditional animation more. But you see a lot of CG cartoons these days and while some are fun to watch, they tend to not stand out much from the rest to me. Even the better looking CG toons are showing their age.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:05 AM   #2
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Does anyone here ever get tired/burnt out from CG in animation? I enjoy some CG movies and cartoons but I feel like it's becoming more than the norm. It's rare that you see a 2D animated film these days. The latest My Little Pony movie was the first in a long while. There's still anime but that's its own style.

I do like me some Pixar films but no matter how entertaining they are, I can't seem to enjoy them nearly as much as classics such as Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, Aladdin, or a Goofy Movie.

2D animated cartoons are still existent which is nice and while I'm not to big on a lot of flash animated shows, there's exceptions such as Friendship is Magic. I prefer squash and stretches and traditional animation more. But you see a lot of CG cartoons these days and while some are fun to watch, they tend to not stand out much from the rest to me. Even the better looking CG toons are showing their age.
Nope, I'm not tired of it at all. CGI animation continues to evolve year after year to a point where its becoming photoreal.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:36 AM   #3
newfan
Mad Scientist

Not really, I mean if we are talking about theatrical movies they are usually a better quality than say a cheaply made fun toon. I can see the argument to have room for both in the movie industry but I'm happy to go and see a CGI animated movie if it appeals to me.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:57 AM   #4
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Nope. Also Lupin the 3rd's CGI animation is the best so far I reckon.

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:11 AM   #5
IMJ
Emperor

I absolutely miss hand drawn animation. To be honest the only time I've been fully accepting of CGi animation was TMNT '12. Some of the new Transformers stuff isn't bad, but TMNT 12 was the only time I've been fully drawn in.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 11:54 AM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yes and no.

No, because I've long dabbled in it, had in my younger days hoped to have a career of it, and at present have a hand in part of a project if that works out.

Yes, because in particular I largely miss the kind of 2D movies Disney used to make. Some of the 3D they (and Pixar) have produced are great, but I wish the 2D had not been totally lost in favor of doing only 3D. They could have coexisted as separate mediums.

I also want TMNT to go back to 2D in the kind of style and quality the 2003 show had. Not this "modern" neon Lisa Frank-wannabe Flash animation. edit: Though I'm not crazy about going all 3D for TMNT film, I prefer live action that uses and integrates 3D realistically.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #7
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yes and no.

No, because I've long dabbled in it, had in my younger days hoped to have a career of it, and at present have a hand in part of a project if that works out.

Yes, because in particular I largely miss the kind of 2D movies Disney used to make. Some of the 3D they (and Pixar) have produced are great, but I wish the 2D had not been totally lost in favor of doing only 3D. They could have coexisted as separate mediums.

I also want TMNT to go back to 2D in the kind of style and quality the 2003 show had. Not this "modern" neon Lisa Frank-wannabe Flash animation. edit: Though I'm not crazy about going all 3D for TMNT film, I prefer live action that uses and integrates 3D realistically.
Attack On Titan is an example of a show that has perfected that balance of hand drawn animation and CGi - even to the point where the CGi looks 100% hand drawn, but you can tell by the camera rotations and whatnot that it's enhanced.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:18 PM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

Simple answer; yes. I generally don't watch it unless I kinda "have to", like checking out TMNT, or the upcoming Godzilla anime.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:05 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Yes. Hand drawn animation is much better looking overall.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:13 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Doesn't really bother me. But then, I don't really watch many animated anythings.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:53 PM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

I was over it as soon as it started.

Sometimes it's "fine" but it just isn't for me.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote