The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you drink or smoke? (click all that apply)
I smoke cigarettes 4 11.11%
I smoke cigars 2 5.56%
I smoke weed 9 25.00%
I drink beer 23 63.89%
I drink liquor 19 52.78%
I drink wine 16 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2021, 08:26 PM   #261
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Yeah, drinking in Europe is totally different than here in the States.

When my dad was in the Air Force we'd joke that if you old enough to reach the bar, they'd serve you, but you know there wasn't a stigma and it wasn't ABUSED. That's the big thing here versus Europe is the ABUSE of alcohol. We saw Italian truckers who would have a little wine mixed with quite a bit of water. no problem.

American's seem to do everything to the EXTERME and thus we have to over-drink.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:28 PM   #262
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, drinking in Europe is totally different than here in the States.

When my dad was in the Air Force we'd joke that if you old enough to reach the bar, they'd serve you, but you know there wasn't a stigma and it wasn't ABUSED. That's the big thing here versus Europe is the ABUSE of alcohol. We saw Italian truckers who would have a little wine mixed with quite a bit of water. no problem.

American's seem to do everything to the EXTERME and thus we have to over-drink.
You guys also aren't legally allowed to purchase alcohol and drink until you're 21, for some reason.

I still remember when you could buy beer and cigarettes at 16 here in Portugal. Now it's 18 for both.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:35 PM   #263
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

Weeeelll..... I've been drinking and smoking since I was fifteen. Legally yes, but ask an older cousin bam your set

Lol.

Don't do that kids.

Drinking and smoking is only for cool kids.
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #264
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
You guys also aren't legally allowed to purchase alcohol and drink until you're 21, for some reason.

I still remember when you could buy beer and cigarettes at 16 here in Portugal. Now it's 18 for both.
Yep, now it's 21 for both alcohol AND tobacco. Tobacco used to be 18.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:41 PM   #265
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Yep, now it's 21 for both alcohol AND tobacco. Tobacco used to be 18.
Why did it change from 18 to 21 anyway?

Also 21 for tobacco too? Didn't know that.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:48 PM   #266
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Not 100% they raised the age to 21. They kinda did it on the sly too as far as i know. I don't remember them mentioning it in the news or anything, I just saw a notice posted at the local grocery store. I guess it's to further keep kids from picking it up...because we know that when the age was 18 that totally worked. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been out and out banned, but there must be enough pull from Big Tobacco to keep it on the market.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:58 PM   #267
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean, people can't have it both ways. There's this huge push for socialized health care but at the same time, I and others like me don't want my tax dollars going to pay for the lung transplant of a 40-year smoker who was told a thousand times that they were gonna end up killing themselves. It isn't fair. People need to own their sh*t.

So since you "can't" make it illegal because of the tobacco lobbyists, the next most logical thing to do is try and make it harder to get access to, by raising the legal age and taxing the hell out of it. But you can't very well push for "free" taxpayer-funded health care AND continue to let things be a free-for-all. It just doesn't work that way, or at least it shouldn't.

What baffles me is, the exact same people pushing for socialized healthcare are ALSO the ones pushing for complete legalization of all drugs including cocaine and heroin. Because we see how well THAT goes when people just stick that sh*t in themselves; they end up a f*kcing mess and it's on everyone else to pay for saving their lives. Which again, isn't fair. But then again... people who push for such things hardly ever think about the Endgame, they only think about what's most convenient for them specifically.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:59 PM   #268
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Not 100% they raised the age to 21. They kinda did it on the sly too as far as i know. I don't remember them mentioning it in the news or anything, I just saw a notice posted at the local grocery store. I guess it's to further keep kids from picking it up...because we know that when the age was 18 that totally worked. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been out and out banned, but there must be enough pull from Big Tobacco to keep it on the market.
Tbh there was not hi g preventing underage kids form buying tobacco from machines here back when I was a kid. All you had to do was insert the money, press the button of the pack of cigs you wanted and voila.

But nowadays those machines are more electronic and hot like chocolate or water/soda machines anymore. I've seen people using them at cafés and such before and they have to ask the owner or one of waiters/staff to unlock it or something. That's probably done in order to precisely avoid 14 year olds from buying tobacco.

When I was in 9th grade, we ate at this food place at the mall one time. One of my classmates, who was also 14, asked for beer with his fries and hotdog and the woman behind the counter didn't even flinch. She served him the beer. Sure, he looked considerably older for his age, already having a beard and everything, but he wasn't even asked for ID. Plus, me and another classmate of his were there too and both of us certainly did NOT look 18+.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:38 PM   #269
CyberCubed
Overlord

I drink one whole bottle of Coca Cola or Pepsi every day. I wonder if that's better or worse than alcohol.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:16 PM   #270
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I drink one whole bottle of Coca Cola or Pepsi every day. I wonder if that's better or worse than alcohol.
Well it's certainly not healthy...
Old 03-08-2021, 12:21 AM   #271
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Never smoked.

Drink mostly socially but of course those days are gone. On some occasion I pick up a bottle of sangria, around the holidays I stock up on eggnog. Guess that's as far as it goes.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:04 AM   #272
neatoman
Emperor

I pretty much only drink during the holidays and not to excess. I have never smoked either. I think the big turn-off (aside from bad taste and smell) is how I saw the effects in other people. Something about seeing people constantly run off to inhale smoke, long lines to liquor stores, unecessary crakniness, incoherent mumbling and just the high cost in general made it seem pointless to me.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:16 AM   #273
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Could have sworn I answered this some years back, but I guess not. Never done the smoking thing since I've been told that members in my fam have an addictive personality. Got used to being around people who did when I was a kid because most people in my family smoke, including my brother and cousins. I certainly don't judge anyone who does. Dad switched to vaping about a year ago, and he's happy because it costs less than cigarettes. When it comes to drinking, I think I had some sort of Strawberry something or other at Olive Garden years and years ago, but didn't even finish a quarter of the thing because of the medicinal taste of the "ah ah ah ah ah alcohol." The super taster in me wasn't impressed. I suppose I could be the guy who watches over the keys of others, but I can't drive them home. Cracks me up as to how many tipsy or down right wasted folks find anything funny. Forgot to mention that.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:40 AM   #274
newfan
Mad Scientist

Never smoked, or cared to try it. I don't drink much these days, just a glass of red wine sometimes.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:59 PM   #275
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

I smoke weed a lot and drink a couple of times a year. However, I quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey 4 months ago and I am very proud of myself. Hopefully, I can keep this up.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 11:27 PM   #276
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Why did it change from 18 to 21 anyway?
Because the government is becoming a nonsensical nanny state. You could be 18 and an adult, and could be drafted to, say, go and die in a war in Iran or Russia next month... but nope, can't buy a pack of smokes. Too young.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-12-2022 at 08:52 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 06:34 AM   #277
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog McMutt View Post
I smoke weed a lot and drink a couple of times a year. However, I quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey 4 months ago and I am very proud of myself. Hopefully, I can keep this up.
Congrats my dude stay strong
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:47 PM   #278
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Congrats my dude stay strong
Thanks. I feel like the hardest part is over with.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 12:36 PM   #279
Prowler
Emperor

I haven't had a beer in nearly 3 years now. Since late 2019, I've been mostly on antidepressants. Now that I've been off them again for a while, I might go have a beer or two someday soon.

It's not that the doctor told me I couldn't drink. It was simply my decision to avoid alcohol at all costs while I was depressed. Can't say I miss it much, but the weather is getting warmer again and what's a hot spring and summer day without a cold beer or two?
Old 07-28-2022, 10:07 AM   #280
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

I’ve never smoked. Not even vaped. Don’t plan to, either.

I’ve tried a pina colada before at Universal Studios, even though I don’t drink, and I liked it. I hated the wine, though, both red and white.

Tags
#citationneeded, takeittopm